Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Freeze Damage

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
FredWSauer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FredWSauer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Freeze Damage
    Posted: April-22-2017 at 12:50pm
Not sure where to start? I found the caps for two locations in the bottom of the boat today getting it ready. Is this a DIY repair in the boat? Does engine need to be pulled? How much pressure does it take to press them back and what else might be damaged?
- FWS
1993 Ski Nautique
1978 Glastron T-160
1994 Weeres Pontoon - Wife's Boat

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FredWSauer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-22-2017 at 12:52pm
- FWS
1993 Ski Nautique
1978 Glastron T-160
desertskier View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertskier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-22-2017 at 1:15pm
Tap them back in. Run the boat and keep your fingers crossed. Look for water in the oil after you run it. Oil will be milky. Hopefully you get lucky and there is no damage.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-22-2017 at 1:19pm
Fred,
As Sean mentioned, run the boat to make sure there isn't any internal damage. Your pictures don't show that the core plugs are actually pushed out so, you may be OK. If there is block damage, I'd suggest taking the boat back to the back yarder who winterized the engine!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-22-2017 at 1:45pm
If he had a yard do the winterizing he had better take pictures and take the boat over to show them before he starts messing with it! The second picture shows it missing Pete
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FredWSauer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-22-2017 at 1:47pm
The job was my fault. I rushed in the rain because my opening in the storage barn was ready and missed one plug.

I drained the oil and can see no water in the oil.

- FWS
1993 Ski Nautique
1978 Glastron T-160
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-22-2017 at 1:50pm
Gary,
I looked again and to me, the core plugs look intact? Leaking yes and they sure don't look like they are brass.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-22-2017 at 1:50pm
Unfortunately you won't see water in the oil until you run it and possibly get it up to temperature.

They look oem and painted by PCM to me Pete.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertskier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-22-2017 at 1:53pm
You probably won't see water in the oil until after you run engine.
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-22-2017 at 1:55pm
Pete
You're looking at the brown rusty holes where the plugs used to be in the first 2 pictures

Fred
You don't have much tapping room there without removing the engine mounts. You could put in a couple of expandable rubber plugs to let you run the engine and see if there's any water in the oil.

Then from there you can decide what to do. I figure Pete will call it "backyard hacking at it's best" but it'll let you figure out if there are bigger problems

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-22-2017 at 1:56pm
Fred,
There are some pretty decent videos on replacing core plugs. They are better than us trying to verbally explain how to do it.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
fgroce View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fgroce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-22-2017 at 2:37pm
Good luck, always pay attention to details. Hopefully you were able to get out enough water that no damage was done.   I would put in rubber plugs run it out a 5 gallon bucket in the yard for 15 min or so and pray for the best.
FGroce
88 Ski Nautique
For 28 years
Now 2002 Ski Nautique
86ER View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 86ER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-22-2017 at 7:19pm
I doubt that you'll see water in the oil after you run it. The internal cavity of the block is much heavier than the outer cavity. You are very lucky that the freeze plugs actually did their job. This is a first for me. I used to work at a dealership as a mechanic, and we'd get a lot DIY'ers boats in during the spring with cracked blocks from freezing. In every case the outer cavity of the block split between the freeze plugs. The freeze plugs often pushed out a bit, but they never popped. These were all Chevy blocks as we were an OMC dealer. I'm not familiar with the construction of the Ford blocks, so take this with a grain of salt, but I suspect that they are also considerably heavier internally.

If you do replace the plugs yourself, you'll need to sand the sealing surface in the block and use a sealant such as Permatex Form-A-Gasket #1 around the circumference of the new plug. Good luck
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-22-2017 at 7:42pm
Originally posted by 86ER 86ER wrote:

.You are very lucky that the freeze plugs actually did their job.
Pat,
I firmly disagree with your concept that a core plug prevents engine damage from freezing. As an engineer, you certainly must know the casting process and the real reason for core plugs.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FredWSauer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-22-2017 at 8:42pm

I built a jig and lifted each side of the engine one side at a time to remove the motor bracket to get at the center plug. Got them all tapped in clean and straight. Just fired it up. Sings like I was never bad to her!

No leaks.
- FWS
1993 Ski Nautique
1978 Glastron T-160
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-22-2017 at 8:45pm
Fred,
Good luck as I certainly hope your engine will be OK, Don't forget to do an alignment.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
GlassSeeker View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GlassSeeker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-23-2017 at 1:44pm
Like they've been telling you...It needs to be run under load and brought to operating temp and max rpm before you know if you are getting water in the oil
This is the life
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-23-2017 at 2:39pm
It's hard to tell from the pictures, but did you reuse the old plugs?

From my experience they go in a lot easier than a new one and just unexpectedly start to leak or fall out completely at the worst possible time.

Maybe others have different experiences with them, but that's what I've seen.

I think that here on CCF these things should be renamed Pete's Multipurpose Plugs to keep Pete at least somewhat happy
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-23-2017 at 3:52pm
Yeah, thats not going to happen. Ive been on here about 14 years. People have been talking about freeze plugs and everyone knows what they are talking about including the desired function. Pete, try to think of it like your Viagara. Designed as a blood pressure medicine, but found to have another function. When people talk about it functioning as intended, I dont think they are taking about their blood pressure. As an engineer, you don't need to tell us every single freakin' time it comes up. Its sort of but not quite like I dont need someone to tell me how to tie up my boat at the boat ramp when it is going to be there for about 30 seconds while I move my car off the ramp into the parking lot.
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-23-2017 at 4:37pm
Says the guy who's sailboat is sitting on the bottom 30ft away from the dock
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-23-2017 at 5:35pm
Originally posted by Gary S Gary S wrote:

BTW Larry, I haven't gotten to the point of needing those pills that were developed for blood pressure problems. Sounds like you have experience with them.
Also, you may not have noticed but I only bring up the core plugs when there is someone that mistakenly believes they are there for freeze protection. Yes, sometimes they do save a frozen block but more often they don't save the block.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Timr71 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Timr71 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-24-2017 at 11:02am
You guys are funny. When are you guys getting together to film the new youtube sensational series: This old boat ? That would be entertaining to watch and I'm sure it'd be a smash hit.
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-24-2017 at 11:55am
Originally posted by Gary S Gary S wrote:

Gary,

I said help tying up, not help staying afloat. And while the boat was indeed sitting on the bottom, it was securely tied to the shore and a mooring I have out in the lake.
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-24-2017 at 11:50pm
Well then Larry I stand corrected
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FredWSauer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-08-2017 at 6:18pm
Update: 8 May 17 Went for a ride to warm things up and check it before getting serious.   No leaks and no water in oil.
- FWS
1993 Ski Nautique
1978 Glastron T-160
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertskier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-08-2017 at 6:48pm
Go buy a lottery ticket and don't ever do that again.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-08-2017 at 7:45pm
Fred,
I'm glad to hear you lucked out. Do however keep an eye on that oil.

Hey Ken, those freeze plugs really work!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-08-2017 at 8:07pm
Well.......next Pete we'll have to work on your dislike of anything Pertronix, since it's known that you have some Sierra parts in your possession.

You'll never use them, you should send them to Quinner for his new old boat

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FredWSauer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-09-2017 at 4:20pm
Originally posted by desertskier desertskier wrote:

Go buy a lottery ticket and don't ever do that again.

OMG! I KNOW! Good thing none of you were close enough to give me a smack on the back of the head!
- FWS
1993 Ski Nautique
1978 Glastron T-160
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-10-2017 at 2:11am
I just love it when you guys talk like this,,,

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic