NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Velvet Rebuild

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Duane in Indy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duane in Indy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Velvet Rebuild
    Posted: April-17-2017 at 5:19pm
Pulled the tranny out of the boat and started tearing it down.. KENO diagnosed my problem over the phone last week and sure enough he was correct. Reverse clutch plate broke and then lost mesh. No warning or noise or any indication that reverse was gone until I came back to the dock. Very little debris inside the case so far. I am replacing all the clutch disks anyway. Not sure why it broke yet. May never know. I will finish tearing it apart today. Tomorrow will be spent with the parts in the solvent tank while I machine up all the special tools needed to disassemble and reassemble it.

Keep it as original as YOU want it
        1978 Mustang (modified)
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-17-2017 at 5:38pm
You'll never know why it broke Duane, they just do without any warning.

That's a lousy title to this thread by the way, it's gonna get Pete all stirred up, but then again maybe he'll tell you and the rest of us what his version of a rebuild is
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duane in Indy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-17-2017 at 7:57pm
Would really like to replace the 12 pressure plate springs but have no clue as to where to order from. May start researching sites in the A.M.     McMaster Carr has springs but nothing close to the wire size or diameter needed. Three could use replaced at least.
Odd thing, very little debris in case.   Don't know if it has ever been apart or not.
Any help on the spring issue is greatly appreciated.   Duane
        1978 Mustang (modified)
roadtrip View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roadtrip Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-17-2017 at 8:07pm
Probably lots of places to buy the velvet drive reverse springs. ebasicpower.com offers them at $2 each. OEM part number is 71-97. Their part number is ALT23276
roadtrip View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roadtrip Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-17-2017 at 8:11pm
another choice
https://www.perfprotech.com/spring-velvet-drive-transmission-pn-71-97-w7197-w7197/product/374594?search=W7197
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duane in Indy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-17-2017 at 9:09pm
Thanks so much Roadtrip. Will order Tuesday morning.   Duane
        1978 Mustang (modified)
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duane in Indy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-22-2017 at 9:26pm
A big thanks go out to KENO and GARY S     for the advice and encouragement on my transmission rebuild.   Kinda of intimidating till you get your feet wet.   Not saying that this is a 100% success story yet, till I get some more hours on it.
Took it out on the lake today and ran it for about 45 minutes with no issues. I had ran it on the TimmyT setup in the drive for about a half hour before that. The coupler was unhooked so as to not turn the prop itself.   Then off to the lake for the load test.   Oh and yes I did align the shaft.    There is a picture tutorial on the MasterCraft site that is very helpful but the original service manual that I found on E=bay was the real saver.
Plan to put more time on it Sunday.
It was a lot more than just a clutch and gasket job BTW.
        1978 Mustang (modified)
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-22-2017 at 9:33pm
Great job Duane. I knew you wouldn't have any problems.

The only thing that gets complicated in the Velvets is when you get to the pump.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duane in Indy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-22-2017 at 9:43pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

The only thing that gets complicated in the Velvets is when you get to the pump.

No Pete, it's those cussed lock rings.   I invented new swear words for them. One of the ba#%$&^s took over an hour to pry out.

In the next week or so I will machine a spare set of tooling for the next poor soul that takes on the rebuild challenge. They do help alot.   Pictures and dimensions are in the Borg Warner rebuild manual on page 63.. Thanks again to all for the encouragement. Duane
        1978 Mustang (modified)
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-23-2017 at 10:22am
Aw shucks Duane.

Just 2 old guys giving another old guy a little help even if he didn't really need it even if that third old guy whose name we won't mention wasn't too encouraging

Don't forget Roadtrip's help with the links for the springs

By the way, since I'm sure your special tools probably are better than the "special tools" I've been using what would a set cost?
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duane in Indy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-23-2017 at 11:32am
Originally posted by KENO KENO wrote:

Don't forget Roadtrip's help with the links for the springs
By the way, since I'm sure your special tools probably are better than the "special tools" I've been using what would a set cost?

Already said "thanks" to him earlier but Thanks again Roadtrip for the info on the springs.

I'll figure up a labor cost on the tools. I know the material cost is $75.00 for a set cause I bought the material already.

Heading to the lake for more testing.     Duane
Thanks again to all. This site is the best
        1978 Mustang (modified)
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duane in Indy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-23-2017 at 5:34pm
Another hour on the trans with no apparent issues. These little Mustangs are sure fun to drive.    
        1978 Mustang (modified)
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic