Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Damage boat project

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 678910>
Author
Mike9812121298 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike9812121298 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-13-2017 at 9:29pm
Originally posted by Mike9812121298 Mike9812121298 wrote:

I get it taken off tonight and apply the epoxy tonight. I'll try to upload some pics before I call it quits for the night

From april 11th, that was posted at 9pm. At 9pm im still at work which means when i get about 12-1am i would start working on the boat. Looks like i never got around to it that night. Like i stated before bondo is still on there, not that big of deal. When i get some time i'll finish the project and make it look pretty.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike9812121298 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-13-2017 at 9:35pm
Trying to finish the project from last summer i never got back to.

jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-14-2017 at 12:10am
what is the other project in the garage? Looks like a Falcon?

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-14-2017 at 9:35am
Originally posted by MourningWood MourningWood wrote:

So, While I remain impressed with the enthusiasm for the work, I suspect that much of the detailed advice and suggestions of the more experienced may not have been followed, resulting in a slap-dash repair. I, for one, would not want to own this boat.

Originally posted by peter1234 peter1234 wrote:

Brian is right though....

All we can do is try to help with the best of our knowledge. Most of the time the advice here does work. I certainly hope in this case we have done some good.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
gun-driver View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-14-2017 at 2:07pm
Quite the tonka toy collection on the wall
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-15-2017 at 12:32am
Originally posted by gun-driver gun-driver wrote:

Quite the tonka toy collection on the wall

I noticed that as well...

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike9812121298 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-20-2017 at 12:52pm
All those tonka's are the landlords, same with the falcon or whatever it is in the back ground of some of the pics.

Had a guy message me about a 95 ski with cracked gt40 block. Anyone have a engine for sale? Has anyone on here done a ls1 swap? He's asking 2,800

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike9812121298 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-20-2017 at 5:59pm
Now down to 2,500. I would like to get for 2,000
Anyone know anything about this boat. He said it came from FL a year ago

Dreaming View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dreaming Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-22-2017 at 2:42pm
with a 95, I would probably just put a reman short block in... I did the cost benefit analysis last year on my boat and ended up going that route.   Most of the used motors you find are either going to be too expensive to justify, or they will have issues much like what you have already.    Boats that have been cared for and had a failed winterization are a somewhat common occurrence, and judging from the exterior condition of that boat, I would say this is not necessarily well cared for.   Sad, but true.    Drop a short block in that thing for 3K and then you would be time ahead for sure.   if you are planning to flip, its really likely you won't make any money on it.   Here are some other items that are more than incidental with a resale: Interior, Carpet, Steering cable, protect ignition to distributor conversion, carb rebuild or conversion if it is TBI, exhaust manifolds, heater cores, pumps, hoses etc.   None of which are cheap.   I would guess that a lot of these things are going to be needed since I just did the same thing.   I ended up in mine more than 9k, and didn't pay much more than what you are talking about in the beginning.
Donald80SN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donald80SN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-23-2017 at 12:37am
Jody S. at Florida Inboards in Panama City, Florida does a lot of drive by wire motor swaps for hard core skiers looking to add Zero Off to an older boat. These guys just repower their 196's with GM Power to have the latest greatest in cruise / ski control. . Jody ends up with some very nice bob tail GT40's and such several times a year. It is worth giving his shop a call. He may have some swaps coming up.

He is also a pro driver for the Nautique Ski athletes so he travels a lot. .

Good luck,

Donald
1980 Ski Nautique SOLD Back to Cypress Gardens
2002 Sport Nautique, GT-40, FCT2, Cover Sports, Tower Bimini, Inc., Wet Sounds Audio System, Star Gazer Wake Edition S.
1968 Ski Nautique, Project.
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-23-2017 at 1:44am
But he does not need a complete engine Don. If it were mine I'd go to a junk yard get myself a block or engine from a mid 95-96 Ford 250 truck or 350 van,they also have roller lifters---
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike9812121298 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-23-2017 at 3:08pm
Would it matter if it was a Cleveland or wisnor block? That's kind of what I was thinking just swapping the parts over. I've been searching the internet and can't find a gt40 anywhere. Being that all the parts are still there it shouldn't be that much trouble.
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-23-2017 at 3:46pm
GT 40's are Windsors. Cleveland's have not been built for a long time
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-23-2017 at 4:13pm
The Cleveland and Windsor engines have little in common other than displacement at 351 inches.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-23-2017 at 5:11pm
Any Windsor block will work nothing associated with the block denotes the GT-40 badge unless you want to go roller cam then you need a F4TE block.
Dreaming View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dreaming Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-23-2017 at 5:12pm
I think the heads are different, correct?   seems that the accessories and the mounting positions would dictate whether you were going to re-engineer stuff or whether you would be able to get off the shelf parts for a Cleveland.   The exhaust manifold layout would be the big thing I would be worried about with a swap.   Resale in my opinion would also suffer, not from a run ability standpoint, but because now you would have Franken boat that no parts shop would be able to figure out.   finding parts would always be a hunt, and usually from automotive sources that could get you in trouble.    Just curious, why not finish the boat you have already?   get it to 100%, then get another one to dive into.     You seem like a consummate project guy, but it also seems you might have trouble with the last 10% of finish work... your excitement seems to be more about the hunt and the getting started parts than seeing your projects through to completion?    
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-23-2017 at 5:18pm
Originally posted by Dreaming Dreaming wrote:

Just curious, why not finish the boat you have already?   get it to 100%, then get another one to dive into.     You seem like a consummate project guy, but it also seems you might have trouble with the last 10% of finish work... your excitement seems to be more about the hunt and the getting started parts than seeing your projects through to completion?    

You just described 90% of the people on this site
Dreaming View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dreaming Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-23-2017 at 5:28pm
I fall into this category too, that's how I recognized the symptoms     my concern for mike is that he will have two boats that have signs of rushing/careless planning and he'll get stuck with both boats and no buyers.

MourningWood View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MourningWood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-23-2017 at 5:40pm
The Cleveland and Windsor are entirely NOT interchangeable.
Different crank, heads, int. & ex. manifolds, front accessory mounting locations, bell housing bolt pattern.......

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike9812121298 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-25-2017 at 5:00pm
I enjoy the hunt for deals, keeps it exciting. Once u buy then u just have work to do. If I end up buying this second boat, I'll just find a good short block and hope the gt heads are still good or find some new ones. I want to swap that tower over to my first boat. I would almost hate to post that I get it for the fact of the negitive comments that would follow.
Wisky Badger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wisky Badger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-25-2017 at 9:02pm
Mike,

If you pick up the new boat please post the progress. It would be neat to see the before and after of that boat wet sanded and buffed. Everyone has there own way of doing things and that is fine, that is what helps us all learn and the wealth of knowledge that has been documented on this site is amazing. Also please keep posting on your first project I think everyone is excited to see the final product.
flyweed View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flyweed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-26-2017 at 12:20pm
it's not that everyone will post negative comments or bad mouth you..... I feel that with that "Bondo" repair still down in the strut mount repair of your first project, everyone here would LIKE to see you repair that correctly, so that it's done and safe for you or the next owner.

Good luck on both projects, if you decide to buy this second one, and I'll continue following the threads!
'93 Ski Nautique NWZ, Air Boom Tower
Drink Tonight..for tomorrow We Ride!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike9812121298 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-26-2017 at 4:28pm
Starting the search for a engine. Found a PLD-PR-R12/PP with trans for 2000. Says it has 124 hrs on it from a wrecked boat. That looks to be the 240hp out of a 89. How much do the trans used sell for? Does anyone need one?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-28-2017 at 11:55pm
What motor's in it now??
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-29-2017 at 12:16am
Paul-

Originally posted by Mike9812121298 Mike9812121298 wrote:

Had a guy message me about a 95 ski with cracked gt40 block.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-29-2017 at 4:11am
10-4 thanks Gary
Donald80SN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donald80SN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-29-2017 at 1:08pm
My Cypress Gardens, 1980 Ski Nautique had a Cleveland engine in it. It was special ordered for the Pope Family.
1980 Ski Nautique SOLD Back to Cypress Gardens
2002 Sport Nautique, GT-40, FCT2, Cover Sports, Tower Bimini, Inc., Wet Sounds Audio System, Star Gazer Wake Edition S.
1968 Ski Nautique, Project.
Dreaming View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dreaming Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-30-2017 at 1:55am
great Scott!   Mike, I wasn't trying to be a negative nancy earlier, I wish you well with your project! 2k sounds like a pretty nice deal for an engine and trans used functional trans would probably be in the 5-700 neighborhood if I had to guess

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike9812121298 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-30-2017 at 3:21pm
Originally posted by Gary S Gary S wrote:

But he does not need a complete engine Don. If it were mine I'd go to a junk yard get myself a block or engine from a mid 95-96 Ford 250 truck or 350 van,they also have roller lifters---

just called around to local wrecking yards, i found a engine from a 96 f250 said compression was good across all cylinders. there asking 550.

Using a truck 351 would i want to swap out the cam shaft? Depending the condition of the gt heads i might need to ebay one or two of them. He told me heads and block are cracked.
shierh View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shierh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-30-2017 at 3:25pm
My 2 cents worth:   glad you are getting your feet wet. However I highly recommend you take into consideration the others that have pointed out the flaws in this repair.

Repair is NOT good. This is a higher stress area. Recommend highly that it be ground back from within and 1708 layers added. I would removed exhaust pipe and grind the ransom up about 8" and tab in from there to tie in the repair.

Please be aware that these hulls are laid up all at once, all resins cure together making a very strong chemical bond. You are adding a repair to an already cured surface and this is a mechanical bond, not as strong therefore you do have to add other layers and add them well beyond the repair needed.   

From outside it needs to be ground out some and properly layered with glass. water proof filler, not automotive bondo should be used only to even it up but NOT build it up.

Gel coat about 1/6 " thick or a little more is ok to finish the repair.   
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 678910>
  Share Topic