Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Skimming and Footing through Weirs Channel

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
Author
winniskier View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote winniskier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Skimming and Footing through Weirs Channel
    Posted: February-27-2017 at 9:21am
I'm not one to encourage risky behavior, but sometimes you need to tip your hat.   Here is a link to some guys barefooting through the Weirs Channel (Lake Winnipesaukee) behind a skimming snowmobile.
Jim
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-27-2017 at 10:09am
That is great!!
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-27-2017 at 11:12am

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-27-2017 at 11:25am
So the footer falls. My guess is the guy on the sled isnt coming back to pick him up. I don't see any pick up boats around. Also, guy on sled obviously has already picked some spot downstream where he can get back up on shore....I am guessing....unless its one of those "hold my beer and watch this" moments.
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-27-2017 at 11:31am
Amazing. Those guys aren't novices. Bet they had it planned out well. The wardens in Maine would be crazy if they saw that.
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-27-2017 at 12:17pm
You are 100% correct Bruce - like the video title says:
"Fish and Game seek two men for 'skimming'"

Many spectators on the bridge, lol
joshjanae View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote joshjanae Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-27-2017 at 12:28pm
Sweet, all I need is a snowmobile...and I guess learning how to barefoot would help.
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-27-2017 at 12:37pm
Originally posted by quinner quinner wrote:

But is the barefooter breaking the law? I think just the snowmobiler,
fanofccfan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fanofccfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-27-2017 at 12:41pm
Oh the fun. Good for them!
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-27-2017 at 12:46pm
Originally posted by Riley Riley wrote:

In theory yes. Notice the SNW sign and he was creating a wake!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
winniskier View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote winniskier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-27-2017 at 6:29pm
If you are wondering how they did it, here is a link. \

Jim
halfnelly View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote halfnelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-27-2017 at 6:38pm
Wow, I've done some sketchy stuff behind the boat in my day, but that's nuts! Running the combos on and off the ice and then footing through iceberg infested waters!
skutsch View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skutsch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-27-2017 at 7:09pm
Originally posted by quinner quinner wrote:

1st Thought: How tough is it for Fish and Game to find Andrew Keefer...

2nd Thought: Way too much ice in that water to be footing, dude is lucky or bleeding
LaurelLakeSkier View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LaurelLakeSkier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-27-2017 at 8:30pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

In theory yes. Notice the SNW sign and he was creating a wake!
If you read the fine print, slow-no-wake (in Wisconsin at least) is defined as the slowest you can go while still maintaining steering control. With that in mind, he couldn't slow down very much
The world is full of youth—what we need is a fountain of smart!
skutsch View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skutsch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-27-2017 at 8:35pm
Pete - Good point, same rule applies in NH (assuming that is the Weir Channel so referenced...

TITLE XXII
NAVIGATION; HARBORS; COAST SURVEY
CHAPTER 270-D
BOATING AND WATER SAFETY ON NEW HAMPSHIRE PUBLIC WATERS
Section 270-D:1
270-D:1 Definitions. – In this chapter:

VI. "Headway speed" means 6 miles per hour or the slowest speed that a boat can be operated and maintain steerage way.

VIII. "No wake area" means an area where a boat is to be operated only at headway speed.
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-27-2017 at 9:02pm
Originally posted by skutsch skutsch wrote:

VI. "Headway speed" means 6 miles per hour or the slowest speed that a boat------

VIII. "No wake area" means an area where a boat-------

He's good to go,no boats involved. Says nothing about snowmobiles. My guess he was out snowmobiling,throttle stuck he was just lucky the water was there so he could avoid personal property and injuring some pedestrians. I believe the gentleman behind him was attempting a rescue
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-27-2017 at 9:43pm
Originally posted by Gary S Gary S wrote:

VI. "Headway speed" means 6 miles per hour or the slowest speed that a boat------

VIII. "No wake area" means an area where a boat-------

He's good to go,no boats involved. Says nothing about snowmobiles

I like the way you think Gary

What's the NH state motto? It's "Live free or die" in case you're wondering. Sometimes it pertains, sometimes it doesn't,.depending on what you're doing

I see there's a new show coming on March 5th on Animal Planet called Northwoods Law New Hampshire . They're moving the show from Maine to NH. Maybe there'll be a relentless televised manhunt to find these devious scoundrels.

According to the Manchester Union Leader F&G wants to fine them 500 each for "Reckless Conduct"

fanofccfan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fanofccfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-27-2017 at 10:27pm
After watching the setup video referenced above, that was a little sketchy. Skiing through and on and around ice and chunks is not for the faint of heart.
05 210 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 05 210 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-27-2017 at 11:55pm

1st Thought: How tough is it for Fish and Game to find Andrew Keefer...

Well, it only took me about 30 seconds ! I'm guessing he lives in Holderness (which is right up the street from where that was filmed) and has Facebook photos of himself and friends in a ski boat lol. He's going to be paying some fines . Unfortunate, but alot of people go swimming every year snowmobiling the open water in that channel and they've had 3 or 4 snowmobilers drown on Winni in the last few weeks alone, so they're going to make an example out of him you can bet on it.

Cool stunt, but he's gonna suffer the consequences of posting the evidence on a public forum. Probably worth it haha.

Mike
Air Nautique 210 Team

640 hours, not 1 regret
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-27-2017 at 11:57pm
The dry run was smart to push what little ice away that was in the short barefoot zone. The skiing over ice parts had me laughing. Looked fun. They didn't hurt anybody or property let them be...
DHart View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote DHart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-28-2017 at 1:48am
Looks like the price of the stunt was $496. They set up a go fund me page and as of this writing raised $720. Nice job executing
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-28-2017 at 3:31am
I think Mike has it right, after 3 drownings in the past few weeks, all guys on sleds, F&G almost HAS to do something.

I've smiled every time I've watched the videos, probably a half dozen times now. It'll be worth the fine, that's an epic stunt that took planning and skill, and they didn't have the luxury of test runs to get it right. I'll buy them a few beers if I ever meet them!
'63 American Skier - '98 Sport Nautique
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-28-2017 at 9:48am
Maybe not so much today but as a younger guy I would have been all in on that, awesome!! If they would have made proper arrangements with the city to do that stunt it would have cost them 10 times more then the fine was, lmao. So cool the fine was funded as well. Great Stuff!!
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-28-2017 at 10:03am
New Hampshire is very regulated. They require a permit to tow more than 2 skiers. Someone got busted for pulling 3 footers at the Northwood Lake reunion a while back. I forget who it was, but they pleaded stupid and didn't get a ticket.
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-28-2017 at 10:21am

but they pleaded stupid and didn't get a ticket.

So what your saying is Timmy just acted naturally :-)
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-28-2017 at 10:37am
So live free or die is a bunch of bs?
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Kristof View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kristof Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-28-2017 at 10:37am
Originally posted by 75 Tique 75 Tique wrote:

one of those "hold my beer and watch this" moments.

Don't you just love those...

- Gun control means: using BOTH hands!
- Money doesn't make one happy, but when it rains cats and dogs, it's still better to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle...

JD ski View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD ski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-28-2017 at 10:41am
That is awesome!
JD ski, slicing, dicing, and shredding since 1981

1999 Air Nautique, GT40 Pro Boss, Trail Rite trailer
1975 Century Resorter
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-28-2017 at 10:51am
chromoly balls
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-28-2017 at 7:05pm
Here's a link to their go fund me page

They got enough to pay the fine and make a donation to their local snowmobile club.

Edit Channel 9 news at 6 says they were arrested and released and have a court date in April and may have up to 1500 each in fines.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
  Share Topic