NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

New to me 78 Tique

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 45678 21>
Author
samudj01 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote samudj01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-11-2017 at 10:41pm
Pics of our distributor springs for anyone who is following. They will be replaced soon!

Following pic is at rest:

This one is "fully advanced with the screwdriver":

78 Ski Tique, 72 Skier w/302's, 93 SN w/351 & 17 GS22 w/zr409
Previous - 99 Sport Nautique w/GT40 and 87 Martinique w/351
samudj01 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote samudj01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-18-2017 at 10:43am
Put the new springs on. Thanks Ken. They work great. Boat is good for the most part. Timing set around 8-10degrees. And advanced nicely up to 34. Boat went to 4300 rpm at full throttle. Idles well and runs strong. One issue is under load the boat will sometimes shut off when putting into gear. First click of the throttle is fine but when you throttle up it just shuts off. This is intermittent. When it doesn't shut off it throttles up and drives great down the lake. Timing still? Or carb? We still haven't gotten to check the fuel pump pressure but it is running good other than the holeshot issue.
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-18-2017 at 12:27pm
Glad the springs worked for you.

They came from an old erector set.

Actually they were from a marine Prestolite Chevy distributor from a garage sale.

From here I think the stumble sounds carburetor related.

How's the accecerator pump and it's adjustment.
Jonny Quest View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonny Quest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-18-2017 at 12:43pm
I would also check the transmission neutral safety switch. If it is going bad, it can give those types of symptoms.

JQ
Current
2003 Ski Nautique 206 Limited

Previous
2001 Ski Nautique Open Bow
1994 Ski Nautique Open Bow

Aqua skiing, ergo sum
backfoot100 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote backfoot100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-18-2017 at 12:45pm
Originally posted by KENO KENO wrote:

From here I think the stumble sounds carburetor related.

How's the accecerator pump and it's adjustment.

Agreed.
You need to make sure that the idle mixture screws are set to the highest vacuum or highest RPM while loaded. That means you need to be on the water in gear and idling. Then adjust to the final idle RPM setting.
If you still have a bog when throttling up, then look at the accelerator pump shot.

When people run down to the lake to see what's making that noise, you've succeeded.

Eddie
samudj01 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote samudj01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-18-2017 at 12:52pm
Neutral safety is bad and on our list to replace. It is currently bypassed (both wires on one post). Accelerator pump does spray when pumped
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-18-2017 at 1:06pm
Originally posted by Jonny Quest Jonny Quest wrote:

I would also check the transmission neutral safety switch. If it is going bad, it can give those types of symptoms.

JQ

JQ,
I have to disagree. The NSS simply interrupts power to the start relay coil preventing engine cranking. It does not interrupt power to the engine ignition.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-18-2017 at 2:33pm
Holy crap, me and Pete agreeing about things..........again.

The NSS only keeps it from starting if it's not right.

Otherwise, every time you took it out of neutral the engine would turn off and boating wouldn't be much fun at all
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-18-2017 at 7:31pm

Holy crap, me and Pete agreeing about things..........again.

Com on Ken, we agree 99% of the time. Then, the other 1% when we don't, you just give me a hard time!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
scootdogydog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scootdogydog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-18-2017 at 9:22pm
Does it shut off, or stall? Meaning, do you lose power to your dash or to your circiit breaker? What do you have to do to start it up again?
1999 Python
1980 Ski Tique
1968 Mustang WIP
samudj01 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote samudj01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-18-2017 at 10:07pm
It shuts off. To start again you just turn the key. Funny thing is that if you hold the starter it tries and tries until you pump the throttle. But if you quickly turn the key and let off it fires as you let off the key. I do not believe we are losing power to the dash...but am not certain. If I restart and then give it some revs in neutral it will usually work again under load (example being that it cut off and then I restarted, pumped in neutral, then pulled a skier at 30mph).
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-18-2017 at 10:14pm
David,
Better get the VOM out. I'd start at the ignition switch and check both the start position and the run position. Wiggle the key while you're checking the volts. Sounds like you aren't getting the power to the ignition when you are cranking the engine over.

EDIT: This is your statement that tells me the ignition switch may be the problem.
Originally posted by samudj01 samudj01 wrote:

But if you quickly turn the key and let off it fires as you let off the key..

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
samudj01 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote samudj01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-18-2017 at 10:14pm
Also, pics of the distributor with new springs. Thanks again to KenO!

First is at rest and second is fully advanced with screwdriver:

jarrell001 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jarrell001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-18-2017 at 11:49pm
I'll second my thanks to KenO for the springs. They did the trick.

I'll adds some observational detail. I saw the cut off problem occur when the boat had been idling for a minute or two and then was put back in gear to pull up a skier. I was not able to reproduce the problem by stoping, idling in neutral for a 5-10 seconds and then putting it back in gear. I am wondering if the increased idle time may be related to the problem.

My novice speculation is floats or fuel pump.
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-19-2017 at 9:19am
My guess based on your comments would be carburetor adjustments

I'd look at the Edelbrock manual at the idle and primary system etc. and I think you'll cure the off idle issues

It may idle good but not be adjusted right.

I like your float adjustment speculation, thinking the fuel level may be low

By the way, after all this you guys aren't novices anymore, you're getting pretty good with carburetors and distributors   

shadow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shadow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-20-2017 at 11:01pm
I think I seen you on the lake Saturday afternoon, the Ski Tique was looking good and sounding good, got to love those Ski Tiques. I was in my Carolina Skiff. I have not had my Ski Tique in the water this year, hope to change that this weekend, If all goes well with the new quick fuel carb., wedge plate, fuel pump and alternator and a complete tune up, it will be a good day!   This is a picture of the boat I had before the Ski Tique, it run a little better than the Ski Tique.

shadow
samudj01 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote samudj01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-21-2017 at 12:57pm
Pete:

Can you give me a quick tutorial on using the VOM on the ignition. Set the VOM to DC >12v. Then go under the dash to the back of the ignition switch. I do know that there are multiple posts on the switch but I'm not sure what to test back there. Should I disconnect the center plug on the cap so that the boat doesn't fire or does that matter? THanks
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-21-2017 at 2:19pm
Hi Dave

Pete must be at HD today or something.

Here's an early PCM wiring diagram and on the key switch you'll find

Bat terminal - red wire,that's power into the switch
Ign terminal - purple wire to ballast resistor
Sol terminal -white wire to starter solenoid
Acc terminal-accessory terminal probably has nothing hooked to it

If you want to check the switch, unhook the purple and white wires from the switch. With them disconnected you won't be trying to start the engine or putting power to the coil while you're testing the switch.

Take your voltmeter and check between the Bat terminal and ground, it should be roughly 12 volts

Now hook the voltmeter between ground and the Ign terminal and turn the key to the Run position, don't go all the way to start. It should read the same roughly 12 volts as you had at the Bat terminal.

Leave the voltmeter right where it is and turn the key to Start, you should still have the same roughly 12 v on the meter because going to Start puts power to both the Ign and Sol terminals.

A little redundant, but you can now hook the voltmeter between the Sol terminal and ground , turn the key to Start and should get the same reading of roughly 12 volts.

Pete has you jiggle the key to see if the switch acts funny in either position, He likes to jiggle things, it'll tell you if the contacts are getting worn or overly sensitive.

When you're done, hook the wires back up correctly otherwise some funny things will happen when you turn the key

There are other ways to check the switch too, like checking for resistance in each position but this will work for you.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-21-2017 at 6:45pm
David,
Yup, Ken nailed it - I just got home from the HD. Tough day too - All by myself for 8 hours in the lumber/building materials dept. and 54 bundles of shingles!! That's a tough one for this old body!!

Kens instructions are good but, I'm surprised while he was giving instructions, he didn't mention anything about oil!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-21-2017 at 10:04pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

David,
Yup, Ken nailed it - I just got home from the HD. Tough day too - All by myself for 8 hours in the lumber/building materials dept. and 54 bundles of shingles!! That's a tough one for this old body!!

Kens instructions are good but, I'm surprised while he was giving instructions, he didn't mention anything about oil!

They're trying to kill ya Pete

You should move across the parking lot to the Auto Zone, I'm not sure how you'd look in a bright red shirt though   

You could be in charge of selling points and condensers
DVskier View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DVskier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-21-2017 at 10:08pm
And deep cycle batteries!
Donald80SN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donald80SN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-23-2017 at 10:18am
Hello, Welcome to Auto Zone !!!!!!!!!!!!

My name is Pete B. and today we have two for one Fram Filters on sale. Also, if you buy five Casting Plugs we will throw in one Freeze Plug for free !!!!!!!

1980 Ski Nautique SOLD Back to Cypress Gardens
2002 Sport Nautique, GT-40, FCT2, Cover Sports, Tower Bimini, Inc., Wet Sounds Audio System, Star Gazer Wake Edition S.
1968 Ski Nautique, Project.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-23-2017 at 5:32pm
Originally posted by Donald80SN Donald80SN wrote:

Hello, Welcome to Auto Zone !!!!!!!!!!!!

My name is Pete B. and today we have two for one Fram Filters on sale. Also, if you buy five Casting Plugs we will throw in one Freeze Plug for free !!!!!!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
samudj01 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote samudj01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-25-2017 at 1:54am
Got the vom on the ignition switch. 12.4v on all cases tested that we were looking for volts. Other thoughts? I'm here tomorrow too. I also hooked up a fuel pressure guage. Hoping to test tomorrow...is idle on the hose all that is needed to test the fuel pump or do I need to be at higher rpm and under load?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-25-2017 at 6:36am
David,
That 12.4 you got at the ignition switch, did you get it when cranking on the "I" terminal? That's what's sending the power to the ignition coil. Yes, you what to see the pressure the fuel pump develops off idle too.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-25-2017 at 9:23am

Got the vom on the ignition switch. 12.4v on all cases tested that we were looking for volts. Other thoughts? I'm here tomorrow too. I also hooked up a fuel pressure guage. Hoping to test tomorrow...is idle on the hose all that is needed to test the fuel pump or do I need to be at higher rpm and under load?

Testing the pump under load on the water is best. One thing to keep in mind is that if the pump is losing suction from something like a plugged filter or anti siphon valve your discharge pressure will also drop/fluctuate and maybe fool you into thinking your pump is bad.

I think you key switch is OK, if you test the volts like Pete says while cranking, you'll get a lower voltage because of the big load being put on the whole electrical system by the starter.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-25-2017 at 10:05am

I think you key switch is OK, if you test the volts like Pete says while cranking, you'll get a lower voltage because of the big load being put on the whole electrical system by the starter.

Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

David,
That 12.4 you got at the ignition switch, did you get it when cranking on the "I" terminal?   

Ken,
The reason I asked about the volts at the "I" terminal when cranking is this:

if you quickly turn the key and let off it fires as you let off the key. .

I have seen the switches sent the volts from the "S" when turned to start but not from the "I" when turned to the start position. Yup, wiggling helps too!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-25-2017 at 10:38am
If he followed what I wrote in my long winded post on testing the switch he has already checked for voltage at the Ign terminal with the switch in start
samudj01 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote samudj01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-25-2017 at 10:52am
I printed out kens above testing post and tested all scenarios. That was with the two wires unplugged. Put in the water this morning and fired up. Take a while to warm up. The new guage is barely bouncing for fuel pressure. No reading. If I unscrew a little it does spew gas. But not enough to read at idle or at 2000 rpm in neutral. I think the overflow vent is good bc I filled the tank to full going to white lake and we had gas down the back of the boat. It was leaking for days, guess from expansion in the tank with the weather
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-25-2017 at 11:26am
To eliminate the possibility of anti-siphon valve or hose issues feeding the fuel pump, test with your fuel pressure gauge when pulling fuel out of a 2 gallon can, easy to do with a length of fuel hose. That way you've eliminated anything that could starve the pump. If you still have no fuel pressure, you've got a bad pump. If your pressure rises when pulling from the temporary fuel source, you've got fuel line or anti siphon issues.
'63 American Skier - '98 Sport Nautique
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 45678 21>
  Share Topic