Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

New to me 78 Tique

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 1718192021>
Author
jarrell001 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jarrell001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-29-2018 at 1:01pm
I'll add the the earlier Ski Nautiques with the curved windshields to the list.   I love the one that is on the first page of the 1968 brochure. Solid red with a white boot stripe.

The coosa board concept is interesting to me.
samudj01 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote samudj01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-27-2018 at 6:29pm
Doing some research bc the spray adhesive we used on the vinyl covered scoops is giving us trouble. Should have done more research the first time. We used 3M M77 on some of them. When in the sun WITH the cover on, the heat affects the bond. Frustrating to say the least. If there is one part of this project that drove me to drink, it was these *&^*$*%# scoops.   

Just got off the phone with 3M. M77 is heat resistant up to 110 deg F. 08090 (marketed as Auto Trim high strength and heat resistance) is up to 190-200. It is $25 per can and marketed to prof and industrial. They said the Rubber and Vinyl 80 is the same stuff (200 deg F), it is just marketed to homeowners…$13.67 at the Home Depot (also sold elsewhere but there you go Pete!).

Will let you all know how it goes (not looking forward to doing those scoops again so it will be some time). Hope this research helps someone.
78 Ski Tique, 72 Skier w/302's, 93 SN w/351 & 17 GS22 w/zr409
Previous - 99 Sport Nautique w/GT40 and 87 Martinique w/351
Mille1sj View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mille1sj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-31-2018 at 8:10am
Thanks for the follow up info on the spray adhesive for the scoops. Ours will be coming off of our 77 Tique this fall.   I will look for the higher temp product.   Great project and amazing looking boat, well done. I love seeing an old Tique brought back to life.
samudj01 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote samudj01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-01-2018 at 11:13am
Higher temp better but not perfect. I have no clue how they did it from the factory. We still have some peeling. The best outcome I have is from contact cement. I am contemplating painting them yellow but not there yet as there has to be a glue that works. Heat under the cover is an issue combined with fumes coming out via the blower and regular air flow.
samudj01 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote samudj01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-12-2018 at 12:16am
Anyone have adhesive suggestions for the scoops? I am at my wits end. Thanks.
Duane in Indy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duane in Indy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-12-2018 at 12:22am
I used contact cement from Lowes. Secret is having plenty of extra material to fold over. The more the better.   One coat on material and one coat on scoop, wait 15 minutes and put the two together.
Keep it as original as YOU want it
        1978 Mustang (modified)
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-12-2018 at 1:07am
You're not the only boat under cover or with blower venting.

Try the cement with letting it tack up like Duane said.
samudj01 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote samudj01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-12-2018 at 10:36am
Which cement Duane? I used weldwood on one of the vents and have some issues there too. And don’t worry, I read all instructions and let set as per mfg directions whether before initial contact or final bond. I have quite a bit of material under there. Frustrating that the originals had next to no extra material and they were stuck on there very well. Wish I had the glue cc used!
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-12-2018 at 11:10am
Originally posted by samudj01 samudj01 wrote:

Which cement Duane? I used weldwood on one of the vents and have some issues there too. And don’t worry, I read all instructions and let set as per mfg directions whether before initial contact or final bond. I have quite a bit of material under there. Frustrating that the originals had next to no extra material and they were stuck on there very well. Wish I had the glue cc used!

David,
The Weldwood you used, was it the original solvent based or the new EPA environmentally friendly water based? Stick with the good old solvent stuff and I'd say that's what was used by CC back then!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
samudj01 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote samudj01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-06-2019 at 4:00pm
Winter is coming...project time. We plan to replace the wiring in the ski tique. Looking at harnesses. Why would the harnesses on e basic power say “only for voltmeter applications”?

Looking at their 16 and 32 ft square harnesses. Hoping 16 will be enough. Have to measure.

Also going to add bus bars with fuses under the dash. Anyone have recommendations. Connector recs too if marine specific. Otherwise we will just use regular crimp on connectors.

We are tired of chasing elec gremlins in this boat. Looking forward to buying some parts and getting rolling.

Thanks for any and all recommendations!
Mille1sj View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mille1sj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-06-2019 at 4:08pm
The wiring is different depending on what meter you have a volt meter or an ammeter.   KENO and Pete have some really nice electrical diagrams they can help you with. My boat has the ammeter so I had to make a few changes to my wiring to make it work.

If you google search correctcraftfan ski tique wiring, you should find a few threads with the diagram.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-06-2019 at 4:08pm

Winter is coming...project time. We plan to replace the wiring in the ski tique. Looking at harnesses. Why would the harnesses on e basic power say “only for voltmeter applications”?

David,
With an ammeter, all the amps go though it so, the wire gauge needs to be larger to handle to current. I happen to like ammeters better because I feel they give you a better idea of what's happening with charging/discharging. When I went with new gauges in my Tique, I kept the ammeter. The wiring is slightly different and as mentioned the "to" and "from" wires are heavier.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-06-2019 at 4:19pm
You'll see with an ammeter, the wire from the alternator goes to the meter first and then to the "bat" terminal on the ignition key switch.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-06-2019 at 8:54pm
Originally posted by Mille1sj Mille1sj wrote:

The wiring is different depending on what meter you have a volt meter or an ammeter.   KENO and Pete have some really nice electrical diagrams they can help you with. My boat has the ammeter so I had to make a few changes to my wiring to make it work.

If you google search correctcraftfan ski tique wiring, you should find a few threads with the diagram.

None of those diagrams were made by Ken or Pete

TRB gets the credit for the newer and easier to read one for a later boat with a voltmeter.

I don't know what Pete's getting at with the bigger wire statement. An older CC with an ammeter has 10 gauge wiring from the alternator to the wiring harness 8 connector plug and then up to the ammeter, then the key and then the red wire from the Bat terminal on the key back to the solenoid is also 10 gauge. ( around 15 ft or so to "take the long way to the solenoid") where it connects to the battery cable to charge the battery when the engine is running

It's a lot of wire for those little electrons to flow thru to charge the battery compared to a voltmeter setup that has 10 gauge wire from the alternator to the solenoid (maybe 30 inches) where it connects to the battery cable.

Less voltage drop with the charging path being around 12 ft or so shorter

Pete always like to quote those voltage drop charts. This is a good example where there is 12 ft of extra wire of the same gauge. Do you think there will be extra voltage drop to go with that?

The Ebasic power harness doesn't have the wire in the harness to run up to the ammeter and you'd have to add that wire. That's why they say it's for a voltmeter setup only. It only has a heavy red wire (power to the key) and black wire (ground to dash). Both are 10 gauge and the rest of the wires are smaller

Either setup works so it's a matter of personal preference.

Your choice of alternator may come into play too, depending on the output of the alternator.
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-07-2019 at 6:43am
If it's what's in the link, in whatever length you pick, the wires are described as 2 10 gauge (red and black) and the rest 16 gauge but if you look at the sorta universal "how to wire instrumentation" instructions the others are all 14 gauge instead of 16. I think I'd verify 14 'cause the 16 would be "a little on the light side".

If you're replacing all that harness wiring, you must be replacing the engine harness too ?

link

PS You mentioned 16 and 32 ft harnesses, I think 32 will be a bit on the long side and 16 might be too
samudj01 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote samudj01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-19-2019 at 12:05am
Replaced the wires in the Tique this past weekend. New harness from ebasic power. Got the 16 footer. Needed every inch. Also, didn't use the eighth wire as it was for the alternator and was 16ga. We wanted to use 10ga so it was left as a dummy wire for now. Used fused bus bars, one for constant power and one for ignition power. Got rid of all daisy chains except for the chain for the back lights of the guages that we made up with new materials.

Need fuses for everything. Had two laying around to test it all.

Also replaced battery cables and starter cable. Below pic shows the crimper we used and how badly corroded the batt cables were...wow.

TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-19-2019 at 7:14am
You may want to utilize the (Orange?) alt wire as a 2nd batt 12v feed for your voltmeter set up- PCM/CC did, if I’m not mistaken. Just connect to the same place as the other (red?) on both ends. It may help avoid some voltage drop. Same would go for a 2nd ground (but you’d have to run an extra wire).
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-19-2019 at 9:09am
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

You may want to utilize the (Orange?) alt wire as a 2nd batt 12v feed for your voltmeter set up- PCM/CC did, if I’m not mistaken. Just connect to the same place as the other (red?) on both ends. It may help avoid some voltage drop. Same would go for a 2nd ground (but you’d have to run an extra wire).

He mentions it being an extra 16 gauge wire in the kinda universal harness. it only has two 10 gauge wires in it, a Red one and a Black one. according to the diagram from EBasic

The PCM harness has the extra 10 gauge Orange wire left over from the ammeter days and gets used the way you described Tim, but like you said why not run an extra black and red 10 gauge wire for that extra capacity.

samudj01 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote samudj01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-19-2019 at 10:17am
No voltmeter. Ammeter is broken so was already out of the equation (the orange and red 10ga were on the same post). We ditched the brown 16 ga wire and used an orange 10ga. The orange goes from back of alternator to the batt side of the solenoid. Similar to the later pcm setup I think.
samudj01 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote samudj01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-25-2020 at 9:16am
Cold weather is coming so we are planning some projects. Three on the list for the tique:

Redoing a number 2 trailer to replace ours that was wrecked and fixed before we got it. This one came off of a 77 tique that was used for the egg stand and parts. It is at the sand blaster now and they are going to prime and paint. Looking for thoughts on the bunks. Looks like more than a 2x4 ripped at an angle. Anyone have measurements? Is it a 2x6 ripped?

Rewired last winter. Tach does not work properly. Gives signal but not correct. Like it is half of what it should be. We are going to trace wires. Thoughts? Is there a common cause? Is this a symptom of a failing tach?

Boat collects exhaust stains on transom bad. Rich we think. Is this a carb adj or timing. We have gotten both pieces of advice. Carb was tuned and boat runs great. Hits 47mph. Checked timing and it is where we set it to run the best. That said we could move it a touch.

Winter stinks but projects are fun. Pics coming when we do something to show.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-25-2020 at 9:48am

Cold weather is coming  

How cold in NC? 
Like this with our first snow two weeks ago here in the northwoods?

Big smile Big smile

David,
My 77 and my 64 both collect a black soot on the transom. Better rich than lean. 

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
samudj01 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote samudj01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-25-2020 at 10:14am
Not cold yet. Actually was 80 here yesterday and I couldn’t get to the lake. Boats will probably be winterized at my place in November.
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-25-2020 at 11:16am
Pete.  Still pretty nice down here (I'm about 45 minutes from David)  These are from just last Tuesday evening.  Not even heater shirt weather yet, tho I think the change is finally coming.  Was surprised how great October was, since September started out pretty cool and yucky.  The video is from thursday last week, my last hurrah before pulling out slalom course for the season.

Sorry David, didnt mean to hi jack your project thread. 

TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-25-2020 at 11:57am
Sooty transom is not proper and likely an indication of an improper idle mixture. Unrelated to how it runs on the mains (where top speed and “rich is safe” are valid). Curious what “timing is set where it runs best” means, as we typically talk degrees and RPM to set it properly.

Check that the tach is set to 8cyl mode if it has settings, other than that replace it or send it out for repair.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duane in Indy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-25-2020 at 12:06pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

Sooty transom is not proper and likely an indication of an improper idle mixture. Unrelated to how it runs on the mains (where top speed and “rich is safe” are valid). Curious what “timing is set where it runs best” means, as we typically talk degrees and RPM to set it properly.Check that the tach is set to 8cyl mode if it has settings, other than that replace it or send it out for repair.

Agreed.   Use an electronic timing light where you can dial in the advance and see the RPM at the same time.  Light will verify if tach on panel is correct.  Sooty transom is not proper.  At idle the exhaust will not escape from the transom where as high speed will shoot it away from the transom more.
        1978 Mustang (modified)
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-25-2020 at 12:22pm
Tim and Duane,
I'd like to see ether one of you work on my YH side drafts. I set both idle mix screws with the vacuum gauge.

I will admit the the 77 302 has not been set. I'll see what I can do with it come next summer. 

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duane in Indy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-25-2020 at 1:20pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Tim and Duane,
I'd like to see ether one of you work on my YH side drafts. I set both idle mix screws with the vacuum gauge.I will admit the the 77 302 has not been set. I'll see what I can do with it come next summer.

Pete, in your defense you probably did the best you could given the present conditions we have to work with.  The YH's were set up for gasoline that had octane ratings that we don't have anymore.  Even our best is not what the lowest octane back then was.  Jetting is not optimum for todays gasoline. No more than you use the boats you should try some 100 LL from your local airport.  The plus side to AV Gas is not only the high octane rating but also that it will not go bad.  No need for Sta-Bil.   We just worked on an airplane that had sat in a hangar for 10+ years with 90 gallons in the tanks.  Sent to a lab for analysis and the results came beck perfect.  It just does not go stale.  Plus your engines will like the 100 octane.  FWIWWink
        1978 Mustang (modified)
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-25-2020 at 1:50pm
Duane,
The 312 Interceptor manual calls for 90 so I run mid grade in it. 

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
DVskier View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DVskier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-25-2020 at 3:05pm
Also the 312 interceptor ran on non ethanol fuel as ethanol fuels were not even thought about at that time. Leaded fuel only in use.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-25-2020 at 3:42pm
Originally posted by DVskier DVskier wrote:

Also the 312 interceptor ran on non ethanol fuel as ethanol fuels were not even thought about at that time. Leaded fuel only in use.
David,
So what do you feel is the issue running unleaded besides valve seat wear? 

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 1718192021>
  Share Topic