NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

New to me 78 Tique

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 1314151617 21>
Author
samudj01 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote samudj01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-21-2018 at 3:11pm
Oh we have heaters. Two mr heater buddies and a reg mr heater. Also, an elec oil heater. So far temps are very workable. We plan to tent the boat at night with some lamps in it for heat.

We have two coats of cpes on two of the sides of the wood. Now for the other two sides!

And the epoxy doesn’t smell much. Actually us composites said a respirator is optional. That said we both have respirators. The acetone is pungent. And I plan to paint which will require a respirator too.
78 Ski Tique, 72 Skier w/302's, 93 SN w/351 & 17 GS22 w/zr409
Previous - 99 Sport Nautique w/GT40 and 87 Martinique w/351
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-21-2018 at 6:15pm
Paint?
samudj01 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote samudj01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-21-2018 at 6:50pm
Going to paint the graphics later so will need respirator then too.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-21-2018 at 6:57pm
Originally posted by samudj01 samudj01 wrote:

Going to paint the graphics later so will need respirator then too.

David,
What paint are you planning on for the graphics that needs the acetone? If you go with Rust-O-leum, acetone is way too "fast"

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-21-2018 at 7:01pm
Where did he say he's using acetone with paint?
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-21-2018 at 7:12pm
Originally posted by Gary S Gary S wrote:

Where did he say he's using acetone with paint?

Maybe I misinterpreted?

The acetone is pungent. And I plan to paint which will require a respirator too.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
samudj01 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote samudj01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-21-2018 at 10:12pm
Toluene w paint. Acetone w epoxy
outerbanked View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote outerbanked Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-22-2018 at 1:08am
Clean epoxy off your body with vinegar. Apple vinegar smells the best. & layering up gloves works really well in places you "need" to touch, but you also need to have clean hands before you are finished -tear them off and wow you have clean gloves under them!!
samudj01 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote samudj01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-22-2018 at 9:06pm
Does the cpes have to be completely dry before laminating the secondaries together and bedding in thickened epoxy. It has been drying for over 24hrs in 60 degrees but is still barely tacky
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-22-2018 at 9:11pm
David,
Are you still getting a solvent odor from the CPES? If so, wait another day since you don't want to entrap solvent. If no odor, you are good to go even if it's still tacky.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
samudj01 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote samudj01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-25-2018 at 1:08am
We waited another day even though we didn't have a solvent odor. Decision was due to the CPES just not feeling hard enough to lightly sand and acetone. The CPES (50/50 epoxy/acetone) looked like this:

We bedded the stringers; one on Tues night and the other tonight with thickened epoxy (1 part epoxy, 2 parts cabosil, .25 parts milled fiber) and put on 2" tape wetted out with epoxy:

After bedding the starboard stringer tonight, we started laminating the secondaries. Used a thickened epoxy that was easier to spread (1 part epoxy; 1 part cabosil; scoop of milled fiber):

Next up, start laying up the primaries and finish laminating the secondaries. Layup is: 2" already there, 4", 8", 8" (offsetting these 8" layers) and then 12" over the top. I'm going to try to get my wife interested in layup as Jesse can't work on the boat for a while. I have a lot to do before moving to the next steps anyway.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-25-2018 at 9:36am
David,
It's sure looking fantastic. I admire your research and then the great work. I do have a suggestion on the drain half rounds in the mains. Maybe you have already thought about it but get a layer of glass inside them. Wet out the glass, insert it in the hole and then blow up a toy balloon inside to press the wetted glass against the wood. On both sides, cut the "tails" of the glass and wet them out to the sides of the stringers.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
SWANY View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SWANY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-25-2018 at 10:45am
Looking sharp
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-25-2018 at 10:51am
You guys will be skiing in no time. Great work!

Makes me want to do a stringer job....... Almost.....
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-25-2018 at 11:23am
I don’t think I’ve mixed CPES using acetone- only xylene... but 50% mix seems very heavy on the solvent to me. It normally doesn’t take nearly that much to thin the resin out. Maybe the acetone will flash off faster? I’d give it some healthy dry times, I’ve seen it take up to a week to cure (with a lower mix ratio).
samudj01 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote samudj01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-27-2018 at 1:24am
Curious. I know our layup schedule isn’t too much. But could we go 2”, 4”, 8”, and then 12” over the top and be good to go?

When we go over with 12 what is the trick to getting the glass nice and flat with the 90 degree cuts on the top of the stringer. We have corner rollers but I feel like that will put a crease in the glass on the side. I don’t want to cut as I want to encapsulate.

Had my wife out there tonight wetting glass for me on a table next to the boat. She laid some glass too! 4” done. On to 8 tomorrow.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-27-2018 at 10:05am
Primary or secondary layup? Seems pretty thin. No mat or biax?

Allowing each layer to cure before applying the next will result in a weaker layup also (mechanical bond only). Be sure to clean thoroughly after epoxy cures to eliminate amine blush. Consider muiltiple layers at once to take advantage of the chemical bond.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-27-2018 at 10:38am
David,
Run the router with a 1/4" radius bit at the tops of the stringers. It will make it easier for the glass to lay over the tops.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
samudj01 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote samudj01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-27-2018 at 11:13am
Primary. Thought we had bought the right stuff. After the 2” layer I did wash with soap as per us comp advice, sand and acetone before the 4” layer. Multiple layers would be great but time is the issue. Will try for that. If I go 2”, 4”, 8” on the sides, what would be the suggestion for the rest of the primaries? We did route the top. But there are 90 degree corners on top where the floor fits in the stringer in places.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-27-2018 at 12:29pm
I have used 5-7 layers of alternating cloth and mat, as well as 2x 2/4/8 cloth followed by biax (1x 12” up the side and 1x 12” over the top) for primary layups. Always laid up in one shot.

3 layers of cloth is going to be a very thin layup, esp for a primary (add the biax and it’s ok for a secondary though). I’d double it and add biax like above or add more biax than described to compensate.

If time is a factor, doing 4 layers on a single stringer is a better option than a single layer on 4 stringers.
samudj01 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote samudj01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-27-2018 at 1:59pm
You all may think I’m crazy but I’d rather be grinding.

Should I get 12” Matt roll to go with what we have?
samudj01 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote samudj01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-28-2018 at 8:48pm
Cousin Donald sighting. He can't stay away. Just kidding, I called him for some advice and he was close by so he stopped in for an hour. Was good advice to go with the advice people had given us on the site. Also got to drink a beer or two. Thanks Donald!

Ok, we are heeding your advice and ordering a roll of 12" mat tomorrow. That will allow us to alternate with the woven rolls that we are using right now. We will build it up farther too. The mat will hopefully help us go over the top in one shot. We need to wait on the mat before doing more to the Primaries (so we can do many layers at the same time). So we decided to utilize the day today by bedding the port secondary and a few backer boards. We laid both 2" and 4" on the secondary in one shot as suggested. Thanks to everyone who has given advice on the thread. It is appreciated and we try to take it into account even though we couldn't do it all in one shot. Tomorrow night will be the stb secondary. Then we will wait on the mat to do many more layers at a time.

My helper taking out the board that used to hold our primaries together:

Primaries in and my helpers taking a look at the work after it was dry:

Ridgely helping me by wetting out glass while I laid it...she got in the boat and laid some glass too:

Today's work with Jesse back on the job:

fanofccfan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fanofccfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-28-2018 at 9:04pm
That’s good stuff! Atta boy for making it a family project! Nice work!
2004 196 LE Ski 1969 Marauder 19 1978 Ski
Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-28-2018 at 10:05pm
Looking great y'all!!!! Awesome that the whole family has had a part in the restoration. Will make it that much more special when it's all back together and you're out in it together!
"Morfoot; He can ski. He can wakeboard.He can cook chicken.He can create his own self-named beverage, & can also apparently fly. A man of many talents."72 Mustang "Kermit",88 SN Miss Scarlett, 99 SN "Sherman"
Donald80SN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donald80SN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-29-2018 at 8:57am

Cousin Donald sighting. He can't stay away. Just kidding, I called him for some advice and he was close by so he stopped in for an hour. Was good advice to go with the advice people had given us on the site. Also got to drink a beer or two. Thanks Donald!

As fate would have it, my part time gig, The Buns of Steel Tour, was in Winston Salem Saturday night for a Jenny Craig convention, and I spoke with David on the phone between sets. Late Saturday night I had to stop by to see Ridgely and the daughters doing this glass work. I was impressed with the precision that David is showing in his work. I can tell he is a very detailed type A guy.   I also learned that the real reason that the family is pitching in is that they want their warm garage back.   Currently, all cars are parked outside on these cold mornings. . I was happy to find that David and Jesse are still keeping an inventory of used beer cans to be transferred to the original pile back at Jesse's farm when reassembly occurs. Both gentlemen are indeed following all Correct Craft Fan stringer replacement rules and guidelines. They passed this inspection but their will be more surprise inspections for CCFan in the future. It is for their own good and the good of the site.

I think David and Jesse will owe Ridgley and myself a nail manicure when the glass work is done.
1980 Ski Nautique SOLD Back to Cypress Gardens
2002 Sport Nautique, GT-40, FCT2, Cover Sports, Tower Bimini, Inc., Wet Sounds Audio System, Star Gazer Wake Edition S.
1968 Ski Nautique, Project.
samudj01 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote samudj01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-02-2018 at 12:10am
We are creeping along. Got a friend of mine to join me on Monday to bed the stb secondary and lay 2" and 4" tape.

The following night I bedded some floor supports on the walls and the rudder wood. Also made some repairs to our scoops on the corners and around the screw holes with thickened epoxy.

It is coming together. Wed was an off night, Go Deacs!. Today I received an order with a ton of mat in it to start building up the stringers. Hopefully will do some work this weekend. I cleaned both sets of secondaries with some sanding and also soap and water. Just need to acetone before working next. I am hoping to get some help from Jesse this weekend. I need this thing out of my garage.

Bbnatique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bbnatique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-02-2018 at 8:37am
your project looks great, i will be forllowing as i am in the griding stage of a stringer project myself
samudj01 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote samudj01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-16-2018 at 12:27am
A little update. It has been slow going on the stringers but this past week we did a lot. Worked hard Sun, Mon and Tues and got both primaries and secondaries done. On Sun there was another Donald sighting...thanks so much for the help. Added mat to the layup along with the woven fabric.

Next up will be cutting the floor, bulkheads, and other wood. Also the pvc and battery box. Then some more glass work to get it all in.

ultrarunner View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ultrarunner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-16-2018 at 3:23am
Super nice work. I'm thinking a nice non-skid fiberglass floor. Carpet is out, and should be snapped in ;-)
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-16-2018 at 10:47am
Dang, looking good. You guys went from Tim and I helping you swap carbs to a pro level stringer job in what 5 months? Great job.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 1314151617 21>
  Share Topic