Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Wisconsin Mechanics?

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
black88 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote black88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Wisconsin Mechanics?
    Posted: February-24-2017 at 12:59am
Can someone suggest a good old school mechanic to take a look at my 1988 ski nautique in Wisconsin? It has transmission issues and it's driving me nowhere but nuts. Everyone in the area wants a small fortune to "look at it".. I'm not trying to be cheap I just want to know what's wrong with the dang boat.
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-24-2017 at 1:14am
Well what's up with the boat and where are you at?
tryathlete View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tryathlete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-24-2017 at 1:15am
What is wrong with it? Tell us more.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tryathlete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-24-2017 at 1:16am
As usual HW is quicker on the draw. Time to hang up the send button and let the younger gunslingers carry on.
black88 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote black88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-24-2017 at 1:22am
Hey guys I live near Montello, I used go to the Green Lake reunions. A couple years ago I pulled my boat out to get it ready for the summer.   I literally pulled the boat out of my garage and into my driveway. I went inside to get a cup of coffee walked back outside and tranny fluid all over the ground. Filled it back up and no leaks. Ran it on a hose for a couple minutes no leaks. Took it out on Green Lake and next thing you know the whole hull is covered in tranny fluid. I have no idea where it is coming from whatsoever. Filled it back up in my driveway and now has a loud knocking sound. I just shut if off and now its been an ornament in my garage undercover for 2 years.. I took it to shipyard marine in Oshkosh and that was a joke. They literally charged me $330 to look at it. They did absolutely nothing mechanical.
skutsch View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skutsch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-24-2017 at 1:40am
Fort Fremont Marine is a great correct craft shop, little bit of a hike (about an hour to Fremont, WI) but, ask for Dan, he is one of the owners - his brother runs the shop. Feel free to tell him you know me and I sent you his way.

Alternatively, if the guys can help diagnose the issue, My in-laws have a cottage on Tuttle Lake and I have property just north Neshkoro, so I am up that way often. I am guessing the transmission is going to have to come out. I could help you pull it, we would just have to arrange a time.
black88 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote black88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-24-2017 at 1:47am
Any help is much appreciated and I thank you all for any advice. Exploring my options right now and if I go to pull it I will need as much help as I can get. I have no clue what I'm doing when it comes to my own mechanical stuff and everyone tells me how easy these are to work on. So thank you so much I'm sure we will talk very soon.
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-24-2017 at 2:15am
How are your cleaning skills? Start there and trace the leak. Get the motorbox and floor panel out of the way.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tryathlete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-24-2017 at 2:27am
Good advice HW. Find the leak. It could be the cooler, a cracked hose or loose fitting and the fix could be easy. Two years is a lot of lost boating. I lost two to three weeks when my old Supra trans lost reverse. I bought a rebuilt unit. (Better off doing that yourself on a workbench than trusting someone else to do the whole job correctly) and Inhad a local car mechanic do the r and r and alignment upon reinstall. $550 for the rebuild plus freight on the return ($100) plus $400 for labor.

You can buy a brand new trans (ouch) from Skidim for $1770 (big ouch) but there is something to be said for brand new.

If you're fairly mechanical a rebuild can be done at home, The trans if it's a 1:1 is not too large or heavy to wrestle with and a garage joist and block and tackle works wonders if you've got access. Young help is good too.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-24-2017 at 7:12am
Joe,
You posted your problem almost a year ago in this thread. Several suggestions were made and I was wondering if you had the opportunity to use the suggestions?

Yes, clean up the boat and see if you can find the source of the leak. You never really reported back about where all the trans fluid was. In the bilge or coming out with the exhaust with the cooling water? I'd sure suspect the trans cooler. Do you remember if it was drained preventing it from freezing? While you're investigating, get us some pictures.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
ultrahots View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ultrahots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-25-2017 at 9:14pm
Update would be great.
black88 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote black88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-27-2017 at 11:03pm
Hey guys thank for all the information. Once the weather warms up a little bit I will try and get it cleaned up to see where leaks are coming from. I'm and not mechanically inclined whatsoever so I'm just reaching out to see if anyone knows someone in my area that could at least help take a look without breaking the bank. Like I said I literally paid $330 to a marina to do nothing other than push the dipstick in tight They didn't do a thing to it other than that. I took it to a marina in Madison, WI as well and all they do is tell ya your boat is too old and try and sell you a new one. It's very hard to get someone in this area to work on these.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-27-2017 at 11:58pm
Originally posted by black88 black88 wrote:

I'm and not mechanically inclined whatsoever .

Joe,
Then who did this? It sounds like you did???

Since I have bought the boat I added a wakeboard tower, brand new thermostat housing and thermostat, and a brand new edelbrock carb on it

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
black88 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote black88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-01-2017 at 1:24pm
I did none of the work myself other than add the tower. I drilled a couple holes for some mounting brackets. Not too hard there.   I paid tons to have everything else done out of pocket, Thank you for reminding me what I posted over year ago I am fully aware.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tryathlete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-01-2017 at 1:28pm
The tower is the hard part. All of that other stuff should be a breeze!
skutsch View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skutsch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-01-2017 at 1:36pm

I'm and not mechanically inclined whatsoever so I'm just reaching out to see if anyone knows someone in my area that could at least help take a look without breaking the bank.

It's very hard to get someone in this area to work on these.

Ok, so if you want professional help, I would suggest giving the guys at Fort Fremont Marine a call, there number is 920.446.3220. You could at least talk to them and ask them how they would go about diagnosing the problem, and how they would charge for that. Share with them your experience with the shop in Oshkosh, and your concerns. I think you will find them to be fair. These guys are super friendly, I have always had good experience dealing with them. They might be slow right now - most of the snowmobile business has probably tapered off, and people are not yet trying to get their boats in the water.

You drove your boat to Madison and Oshkosh, Ft. Fremont is actually 2 minutes closer (Google Maps) then Oshkosh.

As, I indicated before, I would be happy to come help you pull the trans, but I have NO experience fixing them.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tryathlete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-01-2017 at 1:41pm
Clean the bilge. Check for leaks. Get back to us. And take a special look at the cooler. Those things pop when water freezes --probably first too.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-01-2017 at 3:06pm

I did none of the work myself .

Joe,
What happened to the person who did do the mechanical work? Isn't he still around or did you have a bad experience with him?

We are trying to help and have asked you several times to see if you can find the source of the leak. It would help narrow down your problem.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
DrCC View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrCC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-01-2017 at 3:29pm
I suppose IF I were in the area I could take a look at it for say right around 325.00.   That would be like a 5.00 savings.   And, I would tell you way more stuff than the 330.00 guy did.

So, what did the 330.00 guy say?     "Just put the dipstick in" ?

You probably need new front and rear seals, and or maybe a transmission fluid cooler.

It won't cost you anything to follow the great advice given above.   Clean it, and give it a visual inspection.   Bring along the laptop so you can ask more questions while you're cleaning and inspecting.
Keep it....from sinkin'
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic