NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

just bought a 1978 ski nautique

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
Author
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-16-2017 at 11:01pm
The pop out vent in the windshield in your new 78 comes in really handy on those 100 degree days on the water. Wish our newer boat had those.
mrjester12 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mrjester12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-16-2017 at 11:56pm
Well did some cleaning up and tearing out today. And good news. Stringers look in great shape. Not sure if they are original or someone replaced them and refiner glassed them. I'm gonna replace the floor with marine plywood, and new carpet. Working on the engine this weekend, I'm going to try to get it running and see what needs to be worked on
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-17-2017 at 8:02am
Originally posted by mrjester12 mrjester12 wrote:

Stringers look in great shape. Not sure if they are original or someone replaced them and refiner glassed them. I'm gonna replace the floor with marine plywood,

Zane,
Do you have any pictures you can post of the stringers? We could probably tell if they are original or not. What did you do to check their condition?

You may not be aware that marine grade plywood has no means of waterproofing. It's simply plywood with very tight control of voids in the inner plys. It still needs the recommended CPES and glass with epoxy just like regular exterior grade ply. For a sole (floor) I do not feel the extra cost is worth using it.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
tryathlete View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tryathlete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-17-2017 at 2:52pm
If the floor is solid and has no soft spots why not just replace carpet. You're getting close to ski season. I'd get it running and use it for a year then go after it in the Fall. You'll get to know what it needs while having fun. The platform can even wait. Polish it up and get down to basics like others have said. Prop shaft seal, impeller replacement, engine tune and fresh fluids then start playing.
mrjester12 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mrjester12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-17-2017 at 8:57pm
there are a few soft spots at the seats
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-17-2017 at 9:47pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Originally posted by mrjester12 mrjester12 wrote:

Stringers look in great shape. Not sure if they are original or someone replaced them and refiner glassed them. I'm gonna replace the floor with marine plywood,

Zane,
Do you have any pictures you can post of the stringers? We could probably tell if they are original or not. What did you do to check their condition?

Zane,
Have you had an opportunity to look at any of the stringer threads?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
GlassSeeker View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GlassSeeker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-17-2017 at 10:08pm
So I just read through this and you are going to have a steep learning curve. Pay close attention to everything you are being told. If it's going over your head then pump the brakes and read about or ask questions about anything you're not sure of. That is a neat boat and if you take girls in the boat they will like the ladder to get in with. Platforms are nice though but my girlfriend has a little trouble getting in. Post pics of the engine so we can see if it has the dreaded fram.
This is the life
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-17-2017 at 10:16pm
^^what he said

Soft spots in the floor is usually a "tip of the iceberg" thing. Time to educate yourself.
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-17-2017 at 10:49pm
An easy way to patch screw holes in hull is to mix some 'mash' - finely cut fiberglass cloth mixed with some epoxy resin (thin laminating resin, not the little tubes they sell at hardware stores).

Mix it up to peanut butter consistency, then you can push it into the holes with a nail or something similar. Mask off around the hole, of couse. Once hardened, sand level & finish with matching gel coat or (gasp) paint..
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
smac76 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smac76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-18-2017 at 12:09am
What interior options were available in 76? And what year was the maroon pleated interior an option? I'm pretty sure that the vinyl in the boat now is factory as I have ordered a matching rear seat from Christines Marine. Maybe a special order? I'll defer to you that the carpet isn't original as it's in way too good a condition to be 40 years old, but it was certainly done well enough to look like it was original.
It's 5 o'clock somewhere...
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-18-2017 at 12:42am
It would be even easier to pick up a handful of finishing washers and 4200 and just put the ladder screws back in.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-18-2017 at 7:05am
Originally posted by smac76 smac76 wrote:

What interior options were available in 76? .

Scott,
Per the 76 brochure in the reference section, the colors available were red green blue and gold.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-18-2017 at 7:10am
Originally posted by Hollywood Hollywood wrote:

It would be even easier to pick up a handful of finishing washers and 4200 and just put the ladder screws back in.

I agree:

Plus, it makes it easier to go back to the original!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-18-2017 at 9:18am
Originally posted by smac76 smac76 wrote:

What interior options were available in 76? And what year was the maroon pleated interior an option? I'm pretty sure that the vinyl in the boat now is factory as I have ordered a matching rear seat from Christines Marine. Maybe a special order? I'll defer to you that the carpet isn't original as it's in way too good a condition to be 40 years old, but it was certainly done well enough to look like it was original.

Pleats (which may have been optional- seen plenty of boats with plain vinyl) would have been straight heat stamped, not the diamond "oven mitt" pattern. The latter was found on the '80-83 boats only. Your observer seat back cushion also looks very square (like the 80+ standard interior) so it's possible someone just swapped slightly newer seats in. (Seat back style through 79 had a little more taper- cushion was narrower at the top.) Carpet would have been the grass style and color matched to the graphics/vinyl color (red/black). Gray non-matching carpet wasn't common until ~1989.

Pm me if you are interested in putting an original steering wheel back on.
smac76 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smac76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-18-2017 at 8:10pm
That's great info to have, thanks. I did some research yesterday digging up that old brochure and came to find that my boat isn't as original as I had thought. The PO hadn't said anything to me about it being all original or anything; just clean, and it is very clean. I'll just have to accept that the boat at some time had a tastefully upgraded interior. And I love it! Thanks.
It's 5 o'clock somewhere...
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
  Share Topic