NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Best way to replace cutlas.

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <123>
Author
Frankenotter View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frankenotter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-19-2017 at 11:05am
So when I drop these shafts off at the machine shop today, what is the max runout that I'm having them look for along the length of the shaft. I know I've seen the .003 number in reference to the coupler, but I've also seen it in posts instructing people to check forward/aft of the strut with an indicator...... looking for .003" or less.
1999 Ski Nautique 196
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-19-2017 at 11:12am
Believe that is correct... .003" max for both shaft runout and coupler face alignment. Pete will confirm.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-19-2017 at 11:16am
Chris,
The runout at any point in the shaft should not exceed the .003". They should also check aft of the strut on the prop taper since this is a spot that is a frequent bend. The shaft is supported forward at the trans end and aft were the strut normally is and then they indicate the prop taper.

Yes, Duane confused things talking about alignment with the .003 between the coupling faces when we've been talking shaft straightness!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-19-2017 at 11:26am
If you have a shaft that is out, say .0045" and you straighten it back to say .0015", is there any negatives such as weakening, assuming heat was not used in the process?
Duane in Indy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duane in Indy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-19-2017 at 11:32am
Originally posted by Frankenotter Frankenotter wrote:

So when I drop these shafts off at the machine shop today, what is the max runout that I'm having them look for along the length of the shaft. I know I've seen the .003 number in reference to the coupler, but I've also seen it in posts instructing people to check forward/aft of the strut with an indicator...... looking for .003" or less.

.003 would certainly be within tolerance. Have them "chart" where they are out and how much. That will give you a good idea of whether to use them or not.
Why not purchase a tapered coupling and have them machine the shaft for it?? Then you will have a double taper shaft which is much easier to service now and in the future. They will need a reference dimension to work to. Meaning end of shaft at the prop end to the face of the press on coupling. That way the new coupling will measure the same as the old when assembled. Or go pay a ton of $$ for a new ARE shaft and have basically the same thing. Your choice of course. Other opinions will surely differ. Duane
Keep it as original as YOU want it
        1978 Mustang (modified)
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-19-2017 at 1:52pm
When they measure runout, I would have them use v blocks at coupler end & also at strut area. (as opposed to end centers). That way they are duplicating the boat geometry.

Several members have had success straightening a shaft.
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
NCH20SKIER View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NCH20SKIER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-19-2017 at 8:29pm
The real answer to the question of this topic is..................
Host a Mini, have all the parts and cold beer on hand and watch those with experience jump in to show you. It is a special kind of pay it forward with this bunch
'05 206 Limited
'88 BFN
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frankenotter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-19-2017 at 10:54pm
Duane I will absolutely look into getting the shaft converted into a taper if it's still good. First I have to find out if it's still usable.

I got the shaft removed today. I went with Joel's method of using a small impact drill to carry the load. I can't even imagine doing that job without it. Even with power tools it took me 3 hours (with a lot of that removing striped bolts).

*******word of advice to anyone thinking of attempting this. Get good bolts and nuts to create the press. I used regular zinc hardware from Home Depot because it was what was available to me with short notice. If I had to do it again I would go get much more sturdy hardware from a proper source and not worry about stripping and cutting bolts.

Interesting side note, when the shaft came out of the 176 it measured 43 inches. When I put it side-by-side with the shaft from the Promo, it was considerably shorter. The Promo measured 50 inches.
1999 Ski Nautique 196
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frankenotter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-19-2017 at 11:36pm
Chris I dropped both shafts off at the machine shop today. I spoke with the guy that took care of my manifolds back from when I bought the boat. He showed me the V-blocks and his setup. He pointed out that both shafts need to be cleaned up before they can be measured due to the corrosion and build up left over from the couplers.

This little project could cost me $200 or $900........so fingers crossed.
1999 Ski Nautique 196
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-19-2017 at 11:39pm

a lot of that removing striped bolts).
word of advice to anyone thinking of attempting this. Get good bolts and nuts to create the press. I used regular zinc hardware from Home Depot because it was what was available to me with short notice. If I had to do it again I would go get much more sturdy hardware from a proper source and not worry about stripping and cutting bolts.

Chris,
We (HD) carry grade 8 fine thread bolts and nuts. We also have never seize. You must not have looked had enough or not asked an associate! Don't blame HD for you're not getting the hardware from a "good source".

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frankenotter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-20-2017 at 12:02am
Pete you probably work at a good one. My neighborhood HD is on the fringe of a few different neighborhoods. The isles look like they got hit by a tornado and you're hard pressed to find an "associate" that speaks passable English.

However, you're correct in the assumption that i didn't look very hard.
1999 Ski Nautique 196
SWANY View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SWANY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-20-2017 at 12:21am

Your a better man than me, I would be on to some other project while waiting for a nice new for sure straight and easy install shaft to arrive at my front door.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frankenotter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-20-2017 at 12:33am
Originally posted by SWANY SWANY wrote:

Your a better man than me, I would be on to some other project while waiting for a nice new for sure straight and easy install shaft to arrive at my front door.

Hahah. If I went that route it would be $900+ for sure. I'm doing this for 2 boats.
1999 Ski Nautique 196
SWANY View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SWANY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-20-2017 at 1:15am
Wow, I won't be hitting any logs anytime soon. Just looked the current price up
Looked up my receipt from almost 2 years ago, figured it was about same price. Paid $375 plus $29 for shipping. That might sway my decision too
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-20-2017 at 9:43am
SWANY View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SWANY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-20-2017 at 9:58am
I looked at the wrong size on skidim
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frankenotter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-23-2017 at 8:47am
While waiting for the shaft to return, what is the favorite place to order cutlas bearings?

2 piece? 1 piece?
1999 Ski Nautique 196
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-23-2017 at 10:53am
Ski-DIM has always given me excellent customer support.
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-23-2017 at 10:59am
Originally posted by SNobsessed SNobsessed wrote:

Ski-DIM has always given me excellent customer support.

I've gotten mine at Go2Marine. Better pricing as well. I also stick with the traditional one piece. I feel it gives you better radial support at the aft end of the strut where it's needed from the radial loading from the prop.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Duane in Indy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duane in Indy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-23-2017 at 11:22am
Deltaprop.com   one of our sponsors has bearings.   They show 1" shaft with 1 1/4 OD which is what mine is. Go2Marine does not list my size.
DeepBlueYatchSupply show multiple bearings with 1" ID and various lengths
I used one piece with proper length.
Keep it as original as YOU want it
        1978 Mustang (modified)
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-23-2017 at 12:40pm
Love my OJ Vesconite bearings... I'd be hard pressed to go with the conventional bushings.

^^note cutlass bearing joke^^
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frankenotter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-23-2017 at 3:56pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

Love my OJ Vesconite bearings... I'd be hard pressed to go with the conventional bushings.

Is that a bad pun or a reference to the validity of calling these things bearings?

In true CCF fashion we get 4 different answers!!!

1999 Ski Nautique 196
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-23-2017 at 4:21pm

Is that a bad pun or a reference to the validity of calling these things bearings?

In true CCF fashion we get 4 different answers!!!

Chris,
I didn't get Tim's attempt at a joke ether. Must be that northeast humor!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
skutsch View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skutsch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-23-2017 at 4:29pm
Anybody want to make an investment in a StrutPro? We could then rent it out to anyone on the site for $25 plus shipping. Take a while to make the money back but apparently these things works slicker then snot!!!
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-23-2017 at 4:42pm
Strut bushing replacement? Hard pressed? C'mon guys.
OldSchoolBlue84 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OldSchoolBlue84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-23-2017 at 5:11pm

Strut bushing replacement? Hard pressed? C'mon guys.

I am with yea Tim
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frankenotter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-23-2017 at 5:22pm
Originally posted by skutsch skutsch wrote:

Anybody want to make an investment in a StrutPro? We could then rent it out to anyone on the site for $25 plus shipping. Take a while to make the money back but apparently these things works slicker then snot!!!

I'll throw in for the Chicago group.
1999 Ski Nautique 196
Jonny Quest View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonny Quest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-23-2017 at 10:52pm
I'll ante-up for the Utah group...

JQ
Current
2003 Ski Nautique 206 Limited

Previous
2001 Ski Nautique Open Bow
1994 Ski Nautique Open Bow

Aqua skiing, ergo sum
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-24-2017 at 12:10am
Originally posted by skutsch skutsch wrote:

Anybody want to make an investment in a StrutPro? apparently these things works slicker then snot!!!

Steve,
The person that told you how well they work, was he trying to sell it?? It's not easy to make a tool that only has .030 of brass wall thickness to press against! They work a couple times and then the mandrel needs to be refaced. Notice Jody doesn't even use one!!!!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
skutsch View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skutsch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-24-2017 at 12:29am
Pete: nope the guy who told me how great they worked is a good friend of this site. He lives in Indy, said they had one at his old place of employment. He said they used it all the time. Made changing cutlass bearings a quick simple job.   Pretty sure this guy wasn't trying to sell me one...
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <123>
  Share Topic