Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Stereo addition/modifications

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
JD ski View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD ski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Stereo addition/modifications
    Posted: January-17-2017 at 12:56am
My son and I just finished a small addition to the Air Nautique between snow and rain storms. We added a little sound enhancement. I did not take any pictures and the best part of the whole install is that you can not tell anything has been added. So, no pictures needed. We added a JL Audio MHX280/4 and connected to the existing Polk Audio co-axle speakers in the stock locations. This tiny marine amplifier really woke up those speakers. Then to fill out the sound properly we added a Wet Sound Stealth AS-10 sub-woofer boxed amplifier with 500 watts of sound. Now the sound system has a real quality sound to it.

We were able to install the boxed 10 inch sub and amp in front of the kick panel in front of the driver. The small JL Auido amp was also easily able to fit in this space. Being under the dash on and off for hours was not fun and some of those duties were shared with my son. He was a big help.

I also addressed a few other issues that irritated me. I had previously straightened out the bent seat rails that would not allow the drivers seat to adjust. But the seating angle still bust did not seem right. I chanced the angle and height of the seat by shimming the rear of the seat up 1.5 inches and the front of the seat 0.5 inch. I no longer feel like I am sitting in a recliner and vision forward is much better now.

The steering wheel was also about 1/8 of a turn off from being straight when the boat was going straight. The steering shaft had a mark on it but it was not accurate. I remarked the shaft, I pulled the steering wheel adapter off and re-positioned the steering wheel. We will see how accurate this adjustment was this spring.
JD ski, slicing, dicing, and shredding since 1981

1999 Air Nautique, GT40 Pro Boss, Trail Rite trailer
1975 Century Resorter
JD ski View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD ski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-17-2017 at 1:02am
The part I for got to mention is that I am not someone who likes to blast music so the whole lake can hear it, most of the time. But I do enjoy quality sound and it takes a balanced system some watts to achieve that. I was surprised how well this combination sounded.

1975 Century Resorter
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-17-2017 at 1:59am
I am always surprised how bent up some drivers seat rails can be. Just what the hell are these people doing?
Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-17-2017 at 6:09am
Jim......you know the rules around here....Pics, or it didn't happen!
"Morfoot; He can ski. He can wakeboard.He can cook chicken.He can create his own self-named beverage, & can also apparently fly. A man of many talents."72 Mustang "Kermit",88 SN Miss Scarlett, 99 SN "Sherman"
JD ski View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD ski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-22-2017 at 7:59pm
OK, so I took some pictures. The first ones are as I stated speaker in stock locations looking stock which was the goal. The next photos are in front of the drivers seat with the kick panel removed. The black box is the 10 in. sub woofer with built in amp. It just barely fits in there. Then there is the JL Audio amp. I realize the wiring is not the prettiest thing you have ever seen.
First we had to use what was available in a small town, wire lengths were not optimal and I allowed my 13 year old son to run the wiring and make connections. Although he is always tinkering with things this was his first major project. It all worked the first time around with no revisions needed. Success, and a positive outcome. As this area is in a hidden compartment it was a perfect opportunity to allow my boy to hone his skills. Then I talked about planning your wiring routs so things looked good when you are finished. Such as the stereo system in the Z car.

1975 Century Resorter
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic