NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Prop shaft seal

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Peacock View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peacock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Prop shaft seal
    Posted: January-16-2017 at 12:06pm
I know this has been posted before, but I can't find it.
1986 2001
Prop shaft seal leaking, 1 drip per second. I remember seeing someone post about this great new seal to use instead of the rope seal packing.
Can someone point me in that direction?
Thank you
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-16-2017 at 1:51pm
Go with the Gortex Do check the size you need as it may not be the 1/4".

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Peacock View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peacock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-16-2017 at 2:02pm
Thats the normal rope seal. I remember reading somewhere on here that there was a double lipped seal that I could use instead.
Fl Inboards View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fl Inboards Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-16-2017 at 2:09pm
XPC Shaft Seal by OJ Props.
Nautiques, MasterCraft run them OEM now. I have been using them in all my performance stuff for nearly 10 years. In high performance V-drives spinning up 6500 RPM or more. Use the XPC Seal In all my tournament boats and we regularly replace them in all manor of inboards here at Florida Inboards Inc.
They do require accurate and precise shaft alignment for service longevity.
Hobby Boats can be expensive when the hobbyist is limited on their own skill and expertise.

1993 Shamrock "fat" 20. 2008 Nautique 196 5.0
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-16-2017 at 2:46pm
The gortex has worked well for me. Nearly dripless.
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-16-2017 at 4:59pm
Alan,
The Gortex is not really a "normal rope seal" and is an easy replacement whereas the XPC takes some work. Are you prepared to pull the prop shaft and trans flange that's an interference fit? Have you pulled one before? BTW, when was the last time you R&R'd the packing?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fl Inboards Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-16-2017 at 6:10pm
Pete when we do a XPC seal in the vintage boat described by original poster we actually remove the engine and pull the shaft. We can pull the engine install the seal and have the engine back in the boat, aligned and running in less then 2 hours... Why molest the flange / coupler???
I have even gotten lucky and found the shaft had been replaced with a double taper unit a few times , makes life real simple!
Hobby Boats can be expensive when the hobbyist is limited on their own skill and expertise.

Dreaming View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dreaming Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-16-2017 at 9:46pm
Jody,   you make a good point in that there is more than one way to tackle the same job, and that if you are paying for labor, it might be worth the effort to only replace the packing once with the super cool no drip kind, but for someone who doesn't do this every day, Pete's comments are pretty valid.    I think I took about 6 hours to install the engine/transmission combination and to get it aligned, wired etc.   You likely have the proper hoist set up, and the knowledge of exactly which wrenches to grab from the box so you don't have to climb over the side 20 times       Buying and installing $15 worth of Goretex packing once every 15 years and not having to mess with the shaft or pull the engine sounds pretty good from my perspective.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-16-2017 at 11:45pm
Alan,
Jody does make a valid point regarding the install of a XPC seal. You can ether mess with pulling the prop shaft flange at the trans or just pull the whole engine. I've mentioned the two methods before. Pulling the engine also eliminates pulling the rudder to get the shaft out. Which method do you think you will use if yo decide on the XPC?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Peacock View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peacock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-17-2017 at 10:10am
Thanks to all. Everyone has good points.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fl Inboards Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-17-2017 at 11:24am
yes I do have the tools and extended knowledge. pulling the engine is far easier then disturbing the shaft coupler and all entailed to drop the rudder and go that route. Lets see 12 fasteners, a half a dozen hose clamps three electrical cables and a 8 pin connector along with two control cables and out it comes . I will also at that time degrease and pressure wash the bilge, inspect and ascertain fuel line condition and other components. I would charge about $300 including the XPC unit.
I help DYI customers all the time. realizing that not every one has the equipment or the in-depth knowledge I will work with them point them in a comfortable direction. I have many times had a customer back under my equipment and have me pull their engine and set in the back of their truck on Fri and had them return on Monday afternoon to re set the unit.
Each customer has a level of want and need. Addressing these customers honestly and economically are what makes a good reliable boat shop successful.
Yes for most living with that drip and a repack is far more economic then a upgrade replacement. Crap! that reminds me I need to order another box of 1/4" Flax packing, that make's the second in a year's time..

TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-17-2017 at 11:52am
$300 would be worth it just for the bilge cleaning.

I have the OJ dripless in one boat and graphite packing in the others... the graphite is really cost effective and is just about dripless. Install is also much easier. It's really hard to go any other way unless the engine (or shaft) is already out.
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-17-2017 at 12:05pm
I tend to think about it in hours, 5 hour a year boat gets ropes, 150 hour a year boat gets whatever it wants...

Agreed on it being worth 300 for a bilge clean and an alignment... not to mention piece of mind on having someone that knows what they are doing placing their hands and eyes on some safety critical equipment...
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
Dreaming View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dreaming Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-18-2017 at 2:50pm
Originally posted by Fl Inboards Fl Inboards wrote:

. I will also at that time degrease and pressure wash the bilge, inspect and ascertain fuel line condition and other components. I would charge about $300 including the XPC unit.
I.

Too bad you're on the other side of the country from me...     my bilge and motor are clean, but 300 clams sounds like a good deal for the dripless and install,   I have the packing at home, just haven't done it yet.    
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic