NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

1966 Mustang Restoration

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Colint View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Colint Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1966 Mustang Restoration
    Posted: January-12-2017 at 8:22pm
First I would like to start by saying thank you to Keith for this amazing platform about correct crafts!!
Some people have probably seen some threads I've started looking for info or parts but I figured I would start one on the restoration so people can see the progress and give input.

A little back story on the boat...my Dad bought this boat from Owens Marine in NH in 1984(I was three). The boat was painted red and white. He did a semi restoration on the boat including new foam, floor, carpet, and the custom paint job you will see now in the pictures. We enjoyed this boat for 10 years. My dad traded her for a Century in 1994 at Channel Marine on lake Winnipesaukee in NH. He then traded that for a 1974 35' Chris Craft which he lives on in the summer months on Winni.

This past spring I was thinking more about "The Class of 66" which is the name my dad gave her. In June I decided that I was going to start a search for the boat. I posted many things on social media and with-in three days I had found the boats location!! For 22years she spent her time at Kenwood and Evergreen Camp in Wilmont, NH. About an hour from my house. It took a couple weeks to convince the owner to meet with me. After about 30 minutes of looking her over I new I had to have her. $8500 later for a boat that wasn't for sale I hooked her up a drove away!!! Yes I know I could have bought 4 mustangs!! Don't tell the wife.

This summer we got her safe for the water. The shaft log hose had a hole in it and many other things we fixed before we felt comfortable taking her out. I purchased a skier from a member here for the back seat that the camp had trashed and then sold it to another member who plans on getting her running (I was going to turn the 64 skier into a flower box in the front yard if I couldn't sell it!!). We tuned the 302 that the camp had put in 8 years ago. They blew up the 260 which my dad believes was original??

This fall we started a full restoration. The whole boat has been stripped and gutted. At this point we have the duglass fur stringers installed and glassed along with many original plywood blocks and some new ones for a swim platform and new lifting rings. We just got the floor pieces cut and mocking up some seats. Soon the motor and trans will be going out for repair. The plan is to have this back in the water towards the end of May or beginning of June. It's been a difficult decision on how to finish the gel coat. For now I have decided to go back to the original sea foam green she was born with. At a later date I may introduce some white.

Thank you in advance for everyone's help on this site.

1966 Mustang
Colint View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Colint Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-12-2017 at 8:26pm

This is not long after my dad finished it in the 80's
1966 Mustang
Colint View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Colint Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-12-2017 at 8:31pm

A little water logged!!
1966 Mustang
Colint View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Colint Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-12-2017 at 8:33pm

New stringers and supports
1966 Mustang
Colint View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Colint Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-12-2017 at 8:37pm

Floor boards. 1/2 in marine plywood. Putting mat glass on both sides.
1966 Mustang
Colint View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Colint Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-12-2017 at 8:39pm

Mock up for seats.
1966 Mustang
Colint View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Colint Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-12-2017 at 8:40pm
I'm still trying to figure out why my photos end up sideways or upside down??
1966 Mustang
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-12-2017 at 8:55pm
Have you seen the plans that were shared of the original wood based seats? Yours look similar but I see several differences... thicker (deeper) at the top of the seat back and missing the features that secure the base to the frame... and the frame looks awfully tall (the seat bottom may be too tall once you add foam and vinyl?).

Will you have any access to the exhaust once the floor is secured? Are you glassing or screwing it down?
Colint View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Colint Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-12-2017 at 9:12pm
I have not seen seat plans. Do you know the name of the thread? The exhaust is going to have a rubber 90 from the manifolds to 2 1/2" pipe that will be in the foam. We are putting a block in the stern so there will be no foam under the gas tank. We will then hook that pipe under the tank with hose to the pipes coming out the back. The floor is going to be glassed in and we are doing our best to make sure there are no spots for water to get it.
1966 Mustang
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-12-2017 at 9:23pm
I would have some major reservations about re-foaming the exhaust as they did at the factory in the very early years (they smartened up by '72 and stopped doing that). Even more so if there are multiple connections buried in the foam. Too late to change course? Widening that rear panel to span the exhaust pockets would provide future access... the glass floor pan mustangs (~67-70) had rear panels that wide (sitting over foamed in exhaust, ironically). This is one instance id deviate from original for the sake of practicality and safety.
Colint View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Colint Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-12-2017 at 9:53pm
I'll need to get some pictures but the part of the exhaust in the foam will not have any connections. It's going to be solid pipe coming out of the floor and back to the stern where the last foot or so will have no foam. The stern will still be glassed over and access panels installed to get to exhaust connections and swim platform bolts.
1966 Mustang
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-12-2017 at 11:57pm
Here is a pan Tim referenced above,you can see the removable panel to access the exhaust,and steering gear. Please reconsider re foaming

69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-13-2017 at 6:27am
Or even no foam at all! Many have gone the route. I would.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
peter1234 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peter1234 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-13-2017 at 9:43am
is this the boat I saw on       I boat on lake winni?
former skylark owner now a formula but I cant let this place go
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-13-2017 at 9:56am
I guess I didn't phrase that right,I should have said, please reconsider your thoughts on re foaming. Earlier boats and in your case we are only talking a year or two did not have foam. They did not have the same rotten stringer issues the foamed models had.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Colint View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Colint Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-13-2017 at 10:58am
This is the one!!
1966 Mustang
Colint View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Colint Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-13-2017 at 11:20am
I'm not sure how well they sealed the foam or the stringers in 66 but we are glassing everything so water will never get in. I know there was not much glass on the secondary stringers and none on the cross braces. There will still be access to all exhaust connections as we are not foaming all the way to the stern. The floor panel in the stern between the main stringers will be removable to access shaft log and steering components. When I got the boat they had cut so much of the floor out you could suck out water with a pump!!

1966 Mustang
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-13-2017 at 7:41pm
Originally posted by Colint Colint wrote:

we are glassing everything so water will never get in.

CPES and what resin are you planning on?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
tagteam View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tagteam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-13-2017 at 11:31pm
Hello all I'm Colin's Dad. This restoration adventure is very heartfelt because Colin is reflecting on his childhood while his children are growing up with an appreciation for boating. His 2 boys are close to the same age as Colin (3) and his older brother Dana (5) where when we bought the Correct Craft. As Colin stated in his introduction, we owned her for ten years. Some of the greatest times of our lives. The boys learned to drive her at an early age. I would like to comment on several of the post in this thread,

If anyone can direct us to the post regarding the seat plans, it would be very helpful. We made the mock-up based on our recollection and old pictures. The application of the foam and vinyl material will change the appearance of the seat from the mock-up.

CPES is being applied to all areas that will be exposed to atmosphere.

I am not sure of the type of resin. My close friend Ron of Ron's Fiberglassing USA has been in the business for over thirty years. So, one of the best in our area is guiding us through this project and providing direction on a daily basis. Without his expertise, use of a 15x30' bay and advising us on proper resin, glass materials and tools, this project would not be possible.

Stay tuned for pictures as we progress. We plan to complete the bilge and floor assembly and then move on to the exterior in several weeks.
TagTeam
OldSchoolBlue84 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OldSchoolBlue84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-14-2017 at 12:52am
Originally posted by tagteam tagteam wrote:

Hello all I'm Colin's Dad. This restoration adventure is very heartfelt because Colin is reflecting on his childhood while his children are growing up with an appreciation for boating. His 2 boys are close to the same age as Colin (3) and his older brother Dana (5) where when we bought the Correct Craft. As Colin stated in his introduction, we owned her for ten years. Some of the greatest times of our lives. The boys learned to drive her at an early age. I would like to comment on several of the post in this thread,

If anyone can direct us to the post regarding the seat plans, it would be very helpful. We made the mock-up based on our recollection and old pictures. The application of the foam and vinyl material will change the appearance of the seat from the mock-up.

CPES is being applied to all areas that will be exposed to atmosphere.

I am not sure of the type of resin. My close friend Ron of Ron's Fiberglassing USA has been in the business for over thirty years. So, one of the best in our area is guiding us through this project and providing direction on a daily basis. Without his expertise, use of a 15x30' bay and advising us on proper resin, glass materials and tools, this project would not be possible.

Stay tuned for pictures as we progress. We plan to complete the bilge and floor assembly and then move on to the exterior in several weeks.

You guys are doing a great job, keep up with the good work and posting. Thanks
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-14-2017 at 7:19am
I'm glad to hear that CPES is in the plan. I hope it was used before the glass work was done. I feel it's an important step in treating all the wood preventing moisture intrusion beyond what just what resin does with the glass layup. Don't forget to CPES every hole that's drilled to any of the wood. Regarding resin, it does look like you used epoxy. It's bond is better and it's easier to work with over poly. Also important is epoxy isn't hygroscopic like poly!! Again, I suggest going no foam as many have done.

Are you planning on installing the platform again? It's one of the non original items that to me really sticks out countering a true restoration.

Keep up that teamwork!   

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-14-2017 at 10:40am
Welcome to the site, Howard. Great story and family project you have there. The plans for those seats are somewhere on the site. A regular member from the early days of CCF reverse engineered them. his name is Jim_In_Huston. He hasn't signed on for almost 7 years. Do a search under his name and you may find them.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-14-2017 at 11:37am
Originally posted by Riley Riley wrote:

Welcome to the site, Howard. Great story and family project you have there. The plans for those seats are somewhere on the site. A regular member from the early days of CCF reverse engineered them. his name is Jim_In_Huston. He hasn't signed on for almost 7 years. Do a search under his name and you may find them.

Bruce,
Is this the thread you were thinking of? I thought there was another on the wood??

Howard,
Yes, welcome to CCfan. Keep the pictures coming!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Colint View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Colint Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-14-2017 at 6:07pm
I found the thread with the seat plans. Unfortunately the link no longer works. I sent Jim an email but my hopes are not high for a response has it been so long sense is last visit here. If anyone else still has a copy it would be greatly appreciated if I could get them.

Peter,
I'm not really going for a full period correct restoration. It never has had a platform on it but it adds a lot of functionality for my family. Someone could always take it off if they wanted but they would have to dig it up out of my grave and rip my hands from the wheel!! Lol

Thank for the help guys!!
1966 Mustang
Colint View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Colint Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-21-2017 at 11:38am

Here are some updated pics. Hope this explains our floor and foam plan a little better. The cut out holes will have access ports in the to get to exhaust connections and swim platform bolts. We put a little foam in to hold the exhaust in place so it doesn't move when we remove the motor again.
1966 Mustang
Colint View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Colint Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-21-2017 at 8:21pm
So re updated photos!! Finally working on the outside of the boat!! Only about 150 holes to patch!!
1966 Mustang
Colint View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Colint Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-05-2017 at 7:23pm
Sorry it's been a long time. Here are some updated pictures. Going into gel coat by the end of the weekend.
1966 Mustang
Colint View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Colint Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-05-2017 at 7:29pm
1966 Mustang
Colint View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Colint Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-05-2017 at 7:33pm
1966 Mustang
storm34 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote storm34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-06-2017 at 11:04pm
Looking good.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic