Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

PCM GT40 1700hrs

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
Author
JimGo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimGo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: PCM GT40 1700hrs
    Posted: January-12-2017 at 10:34am
Hi,
I am looking to buy a ski nautique open bow, year 2000. The hull and the interior finish is in real good condition, but the engine (GT40 PCM) has 1700 hours. I am only worried for the engine. What do you think about it ?
Thanks
JPASS View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JPASS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-12-2017 at 10:56am
Traded our '92 SN a couple of years ago with over 1800 hours on her and she ran like a champ. Compression check revealed she was beyond healthy.

I wouldn't be too worried so long as the drivetrain was properly maintained. Be sure to have the motor gone over prior to purchase.

'92 Correctcraft Ski Nautique
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-12-2017 at 11:50am
What is beyond healthy?
Duane in Indy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duane in Indy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-12-2017 at 12:04pm
If the money is right and it is a nice enough package to suit you, then pull the trigger.
IF your car had that many hours on it and IF you averaged 60 mph (which in all probability would be closer to 30 mph average) then you would only have 102,000 miles on it If in doubt leave enough $$ on the table to go thru it when it is ready. JMO
Keep it as original as YOU want it
        1978 Mustang (modified)
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-12-2017 at 12:07pm
One concern on that model year is the infamously bad gauges, when replaced the hour meter starts from zero again. Does the boat have perfect pass? If so would see what the hours are on PP as a comparison.
JPASS View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JPASS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-12-2017 at 12:39pm
Originally posted by Hollywood Hollywood wrote:

What is beyond healthy?

155 psi in all 8 cylinders on a 20+ year old boat with 1800+ hours on her.

I'd say that's pretty healthy. No?

GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-12-2017 at 1:08pm
My buds 351 didn't let go till over 3000 hours.
Your seasons are short, you got another 20 years to go.

Use it for leverage, then ski the sh!t out of it.
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
JimGo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimGo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-12-2017 at 1:13pm
The boat has the perfect pass, I will take a look at it. I will also verify the compression.

Are there other places to inspect ? How to check the transmission?
Dreaming View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dreaming Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-12-2017 at 3:02pm
I think the best gauge is to drive the boat.    Don't get boat fever, go in with your eyes wide open.   I replaced a motor this season for about $2500.   While that's some cash for sure, if the boat is a good deal, I am not sure I would worry about high hours as much as condition.   My boat has 300 hours on it, but poor maintenance and no winterization sure will kill the motor a lot faster than use with proper maintenance.     Do the compression check, fell the acceleration, transmission vibration etc.   if you can, take someone that has boating knowledge and nothing to gain either way, and weigh their opinion heavily in your decision.
M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-12-2017 at 7:18pm
Yeah, the motor is one of the things I'd be least worried about. Keep in mind a new trailer is going to be more than a motor if it's rusted out, for example, It's not like some outboard powerhead where the outboard is more expensive than the whole boat. It's a pretty basic and cost effective powerplant.

As a seller I'd be pretty annoyed by a compression check unless the motor exhibited obvious problems in a water test. If someone drove my 2000 and then wanted a compression test afterward I'd think they would need their head examined.
2000 SN GT40 w/99 Graphics/Gel
2016 SN 200 OB 5.3L DI
https://forum.fifteenoff.com

JPASS View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JPASS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-12-2017 at 9:12pm
Is this boat from a private seller or dealer? Any pics or a link to an ad?

JimGo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimGo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-13-2017 at 12:18am
The boat is sold by the dealer. They changed the board for the key (key less start I was told) and change few minor parts.
Her is the add: http://www.lespac.com/st-alphonse-monteregie/vehicules-marins/2000-nautique-ski_41363568D0.jsa
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-13-2017 at 12:25am
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-13-2017 at 12:38am
thankyou Gary...

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-13-2017 at 10:51am
Originally posted by M3Fan M3Fan wrote:

As a seller I'd be pretty annoyed by a compression check unless the motor exhibited obvious problems in a water test. If someone drove my 2000 and then wanted a compression test afterward I'd think they would need their head examined.

Kind of feel what you are saying, had a guy do that to my bronco before purchasing however how many times have I read posts where there was no noticeable issue yet a compression test showed otherwise?? Your boat(s) are an extreme example as they are well cared for, in this case you have a high hour boat with questionable gauges, this thing could have 2 or 3 times what the hour meter reads.

Btw, boat appears to be an open bow ski nautique
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-13-2017 at 12:56pm
Originally posted by quinner quinner wrote:

in this case you have a high hour boat with questionable gauges, this thing could have 2 or 3 times what the hour meter reads.

And a compression test isn't going to tell you that.

I'm with Joel. If someone wanted to pull the plugs on a normal looking and running boat I'd tell them to get lost.
JimGo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimGo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-13-2017 at 1:20pm
Then my question would be, Before doing a drive test, what are the parts I should inspect ? Lakes are frozen where I am.
Dreaming View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dreaming Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-13-2017 at 1:47pm
Put a deposit on the boat if your interested, and complete the transaction once you can water test...    no sense in getting stuck in a high hour boat that you can't drive.    On the compression check, I would never refuse someone a trip to a certified mechanic for a pre-purchase inspection, and that could certainly be done without any open water.   IMHO, a compression test is certainly valuable information on such a high hour boat, even if the boat has been maintained well.     Doing the PP inspection would be pass fail for me though, not necessarily a negotiation point.
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-13-2017 at 2:13pm
Asking $14,800 USD, that is a lot of money for a boat you hope does not need a rebuild??

Looks like the gauges have been changed out so whatever hours displayed is what has been put on since that gauge was installed unless the owner took the time to hook that gauge up to a power source and run the hours up to what they were on the old gauge (doubtful). Get a copy of the perfect pass manual from their site, you will need the instructions to find the hours on the PP display. The number of hours PP displays is only going to reflect from when it was installed, so if not factory/new original, won't tell the whole story.

The Gelcoat looks very faded, boat is going to need some loving to get back it's shine.
The people who do those snap covers like that should have their knee caps drilled.
JimGo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimGo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-13-2017 at 3:26pm
What's wrong with the cover ?

Thanks for the comments.
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-13-2017 at 3:54pm
Just all the snaps drilled into the boat to mount the cover,just a lazy way to install rather than a draw string below the rubrail
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
tryathlete View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tryathlete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-13-2017 at 9:41pm
Absolutely. There is more than compression in terms of wear, but it is the leading indicator! If boat duty cycle were the same as an automobile traveling at 60, our engines would last 5000 hours or more....but we know that pulling skiers and footers is a little more like plowing snow than driving at 60.

I'd sure pay a whole lot less for a boat with 1700 hours than one with a lot less, and I'm sure that's the case,,
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tryathlete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-14-2017 at 1:35am
Interesting link about how engines fail

Sure enough, not water-cooled boat engines, but the duty cycle can share a lot in common with our boat engines in terms of load. (Opinion)
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-14-2017 at 11:05am
Great article Peter!

Sounds like our site has been on the right track by recommending using good oil & filters.

An oil sample test can tell much about bearing health The hard part about this pre-purchase would be assuring an honest sample.
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tryathlete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-14-2017 at 11:13am
If I remember correctly (it's been 38 years since my AP Powerplant classwork), oil analysis only really works if you can perform trend rather than a single point sample--and oil samples need to be taken at end of oil change interval that also has to be consistently performed. We did this for a major oil company when trying to extend oil change intervals in a pilot training environment using early generation synthetic oils which won over the FAA when hard data was presented. So long ago I didnt even have to shave every day.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tryathlete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-14-2017 at 11:16am
Beyond healthy could be a bad omen!
Silver15 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Silver15 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-14-2017 at 11:26am
Jim, if I may be so bold, seems like quite a stiff price to me- particularly for a boat with those hours. I'd sell you my 2000 air/Sport with 400 hrs and full maintenance records for less than that.....
2000 Air/Sport
1978 T16

8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-14-2017 at 11:31am
Originally posted by tryathlete tryathlete wrote:

Interesting link about how engines fail

Sure enough, not water-cooled boat engines, but the duty cycle can share a lot in common with our boat engines in terms of load. (Opinion)

Peter,
I agree that marine and aircraft engines are similar with their load, Unlike automotive, they are under constant torque and HP loading. Consequently you really can't com[pare them to a car running down the road at 60 MPH. However, I don't feel 1700hrs on a marine is much to worry about. Yes, the hours are up there but if the engine has been maintained, there are plenty of hours left in it.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Fl Inboards View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fl Inboards Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-14-2017 at 12:13pm
1700 hours?
How well was the boat stored? How was the boat used? Was it utilized as a general weekend watersports boat. was it utilized with lots of added weight for wake boarding?
Is there a paper trail of service records? Unless there is significant information at 1700 hours it is a crap shoot. The Gt engine was last manufactured in 1997. Correct Craft utilized warehoused units until 2002. as of 2017 that makes the GT ford engine 20 years old and obsolete. replacement ECM's are NLA. the list just keeps on going as to why it becomes buyer beware unless the price is so good one cant pass it up!
Hobby Boats can be expensive when the hobbyist is limited on their own skill and expertise.

1993 Shamrock "fat" 20. 2008 Nautique 196 5.0
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tryathlete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-14-2017 at 12:21pm
I'd take a 400 hour boat in "decent shape" any day over a 1700 hour boat in pristine condition.   It's being sold by a dealer because the seller probably didn't get any bites and wholesaled it. Must say the pics look nice, interior looks new, but the price is about 1/3 or more too high in my opinion only.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
  Share Topic