NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

PCM GT40 1700hrs

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
Author
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-14-2017 at 12:36pm
Eh, engines are about the easiest and cheapest to replace .
tryathlete View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tryathlete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-14-2017 at 1:23pm
Ask the dealer what it costs to replace an engine. Then deduct most of that from their asking price.
tryathlete View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tryathlete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-14-2017 at 5:48pm
I dunno--GT40 plus velvet drive and Walters screw drive could add up. 1700'hoirs on the trans is another kettle of fish all by itself. DIY could be reasonable if you could find an old Ford pickup and reuse manifolds and Fuel Cell...Good reason to stick with a lower hour boat if you've got a choice.

For $8k that boat would be interesting to someone--but I'd still take a pass for something a little less used up.
JimGo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimGo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-14-2017 at 7:45pm
Good article for engine failures.
Thanks again for all the comments. I will ask more detail to the dealer and I will also do an inspection of the boat. Worst case, I'll confirm myself it was not the right boat.
Shep72 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shep72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-15-2017 at 11:21am
Jim, we purchased a 94 Sport with 600 hrs this year. The boat was in good shape interior, trailer wise but I also knew I was purchasing a 22 year old boat and I was going to have to take care of a few things. We have spent about $2k since the purchase and I now know I have a solid ski boat that will last our family years to come. My personal suggestion is to buy a boat with at least a few thousand to spare on fixing the unknown in your budget. An acquaintance of mine purchased a 2000 air nautique with 400 hrs and dropped a valve this summer. Hours are a loose guideline on engine condition. With boats you roll the dice so be prepared. 1600 hrs would be outside my personal comfort zone.
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-15-2017 at 3:41pm
Most of the inboards of my inner circle have 1,000 to 1,500 hours on them and none of us are anticipating upcoming failures. My car has 365,000 miles and it's running as good as when I bought it with 87,000. Low hour old boats and cars make me think of corrosion issues.

Be proud of your hours [and miles]. Like GottaSki said, 1700 is only just past halfway there. Many of you are not skiiing the same boat you were even just 10 years ago let alone 20.

If some of you used your boats more and had 1500 hrs. would you be looking to get rid of it?
emccallum View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote emccallum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-15-2017 at 10:52pm
I bought my 95 snob with about 500 hours on it. It was in mint condition, and the owner was seemed very OCD about the boat. Since then I have put about 350 hours on it. It has always been well maintained with oil changes every 50 hours (VR1 oil). I have never run it hot, It does get a lot of slalom use. It developed a water leak on one of the heads several years ago.I got by with JB weld for a while. No oil consumption and always ran very consistent and strong.

I pulled the motor this winter to replace the heads. When the engine builder checked the bottom end, he found a lot of wear to the cams and bottom end. . My point is, it may be running fine but at 1700 hours it is getting over the hill. It may serve you fine for years, or it may drop a valve this summer. You dont know. I would adjust my offer to include a couple of grand for engine issues.

I noticed it looks like a cover for the radio is missing....I think I see a hinge next to the radio. If the over all condition is good and it is the boat you want then try and make a deal. But remember you are buying an old used boat.
JD ski View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD ski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-19-2017 at 2:57am
Looking at the pricing $19,800 I am guessing Canadian? and I read the price was $14,800 US? That is $2200 less than I paid in Oct 2016 for my Air with 154 hr. and it appears as new with a beautiful tandem axle trailer. it was always garaged and maintained at a Nautique dealer. It also came with a boom, wake boards, custom bimini, and a mooring cover. Based on what I am seeing in those pictures, you are looking at about a $9000 boat in my opinion. look at some photos in my first post here for comparison. http://www.correctcraftfan.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=39974
JD ski, slicing, dicing, and shredding since 1981

1999 Air Nautique, GT40 Pro Boss, Trail Rite trailer
1975 Century Resorter
JimGo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimGo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-19-2017 at 9:04am
It's a very nice boat.
JimGo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimGo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-19-2017 at 9:14am
It looks like prices are higher in Canada for 9k USD there are Malibu Sportster closed bow (similar year and equipment). I saw few Malibu Response (close & open bow) for around 12500$ USD (again for similar years and equipment)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
  Share Topic