NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

RWP

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
Author
Duane in Indy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duane in Indy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: RWP
    Posted: January-04-2017 at 7:43pm
This thread may bit a bit long but hey, it's winter here and not much else to read.
While doing a normal RR on a rwp I noticed the housing was cracked. It broke completely when I was taking it apart. Having the proper equipment and raw stock on hand I decided to make a new housing. Following are pics of the re manufacture process.

This is the broken housing

Stock in lathe

Hole being drilled and outside shape being cut

On the mill now and putting in hole pattern and reliefs

Finished part ready to assemble
Keep it as original as YOU want it
        1978 Mustang (modified)
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duane in Indy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-04-2017 at 7:49pm
Shaft assembly installed into the new housing

More of assembled housing

Back side

Really was not too big of a chore. Turned out good and assembled with all new internals.
Hope you enjoyed. Duane

1978 Mustang (modified)
swilliams View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote swilliams Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-04-2017 at 8:04pm
Nice! And those Sherwood pumps are not inexpensive.
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-04-2017 at 8:24pm
Hi Duane

I've been sitting here for half an hour trying to think of something witty to say about this, but "I got nuthin"

You're just a magician with metal

KenO
JPASS View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JPASS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-04-2017 at 8:31pm

Impressive work there Duane

'92 Correctcraft Ski Nautique
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-04-2017 at 8:35pm
Originally posted by swilliams swilliams wrote:

Nice! And those Sherwood pumps are not inexpensive.

Steve,
Things like this happen when you're a retired tool and die maker with the time and the equipment. Cost doesn't factor into the project t!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-04-2017 at 8:36pm
Originally posted by KENO KENO wrote:

Hi Duane

I've been sitting here for half an hour trying to think of something witty to say about this, but "I got nuthin"

You're just a magician with metal

KenO

Ken,
I too am at a loss for anything to say!

Duane,
Great job!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Frankenotter View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frankenotter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-05-2017 at 12:34am
Tool and die work is fading art form. One that I appreciate.

Nicely done sir!!!!
1999 Ski Nautique 196
fanofccfan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fanofccfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-05-2017 at 12:43am
Nice work! I very much appreciate people that can and will do projects like this. Keep posting these long posts !
Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-05-2017 at 6:16am
Errrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.....Ummmmmmmmmmmm......

"Morfoot; He can ski. He can wakeboard.He can cook chicken.He can create his own self-named beverage, & can also apparently fly. A man of many talents."72 Mustang "Kermit",88 SN Miss Scarlett, 99 SN "Sherman"
NCH20SKIER View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NCH20SKIER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-05-2017 at 9:32am
Very nice
'05 206 Limited
'88 BFN
JD ski View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD ski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-05-2017 at 10:23am
Great work and a true improvement over the stock part. It never hurts to have beautiful billet parts in a motor compartment.
JD ski, slicing, dicing, and shredding since 1981

1999 Air Nautique, GT40 Pro Boss, Trail Rite trailer
1975 Century Resorter
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-05-2017 at 11:01am
Duane - Thanks for posting pictures of the process. I'm envious over your knowledge & equipment.

What material did you make the part from? 304?
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duane in Indy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-05-2017 at 11:49am
Originally posted by SNobsessed SNobsessed wrote:

Duane - Thanks for posting pictures of the process. I'm envious over your knowledge & equipment.What material did you make the part from? 304?

Chris, Did not use 304 which is a S/S grade. This part was machined from a piece aluminum that I had on hand. Undecided whether I will anodize it or not. I have NO plans to ever use the boat in salt water and plan to drain the engine after each outing. I have pet cocks on every drain plug hole.
Thanks to you and all others who have complimented me.   
        1978 Mustang (modified)
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duane in Indy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-05-2017 at 11:56am
Originally posted by Frankenotter Frankenotter wrote:

Tool and die work is fading art form. One that I appreciate.
Nicely done sir!!!!

Chris,
You are so correct about the trade being a fading art. More people should pursue Apprenticeships in the Trades than chasing after "non sale-able" degrees. Affordable college tuition should include affordable trade school tuition. Most trades are very high paying positions.
        1978 Mustang (modified)
Blamey View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blamey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-05-2017 at 12:08pm
I can't even get the pulley out of my water pump.
96 Super Sport
Previously: 95 Sport Nautique, 1980 Ski Supreme
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duane in Indy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-05-2017 at 12:21pm
Originally posted by Blamey Blamey wrote:

I can't even get the pulley out of my water pump.

I know what you mean. I had to chuck mine up in the lathe and cut the hub out of the pulley and then make a new hub with a set screw and weld it back into the pulley. I first put the pulley in my hydraulic press and exerted 12 tons of pressure with heat and had no luck. P**s poor design.
        1978 Mustang (modified)
RVR-BTR View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RVR-BTR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-05-2017 at 12:24pm
Originally posted by Duane in Indy Duane in Indy wrote:

Undecided whether I will anodize it or not. I have NO plans to ever use the boat in salt water and plan to drain the engine after each outing. I have pet cocks on every drain plug hole.

Duane, I wouldn't worry about anodizing.        And Ditto all the glowing praise on the lathe work. Honest work, and a lost art form.
C.J. In St. Louis

1974 Correct Craft Martinique 18
1967 Chris Craft Commander 27
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-05-2017 at 12:30pm
Keep doing stuff like this Duane and we are going to be forced to kick you out of the back yard hack hobbyist club
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duane in Indy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-05-2017 at 4:44pm
Originally posted by quinner quinner wrote:

Keep doing stuff like this Duane and we are going to be forced to kick you out of the back yard hack hobbyist club

HaHa, that's been high on my priority list!!
Finished up the pump today. As previously stated, I had to bore out the hub on the pulley and install a new one

Pulley with new hub installed, now with a set screw. (old system was pressed on)

Opposite side of pulley.

Finished item ready to be installed on engine.

1978 Mustang (modified)
flyweed View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flyweed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-05-2017 at 6:34pm
that looks awesome. I had to put a new pump in when I bought my boat..I know the old Sherwoods aren't cheap.
'93 Ski Nautique NWZ, Air Boom Tower
Drink Tonight..for tomorrow We Ride!
dochockey View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dochockey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-05-2017 at 6:39pm
Nice Work !

Can you make the front flag holder (staff) that goes in the light for the early mustangs?
1989 Teal Ski Nautique
1967 Mustang
Harris Float
Sunfish
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duane in Indy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-05-2017 at 6:59pm
Originally posted by dochockey dochockey wrote:

Nice Work !

Can you make the front flag holder (staff) that goes in the light for the early mustangs?

Got a sketch or picture.?? Got a lot on my plate now but sounds interesting, especially if they went on Mustangs as late as mine. 1978
        1978 Mustang (modified)
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-05-2017 at 8:00pm
Originally posted by Duane in Indy Duane in Indy wrote:

Originally posted by dochockey dochockey wrote:

Nice Work !

Got a sketch or picture.?? Got a lot on my plate now but sounds interesting, especially if they went on Mustangs as late as mine. 1978
I don't recall provisions for mounting the flag past '70 on the 16' hull. Bow lights accommodated the staff through '68 on the Mustangs, '69-70 had their own receptacles. I don't recall any of my 71+ skiers or mustangs having anything... though our 72 SN does. Fairly certain my 75 M17 did not.
baitkiller View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote baitkiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-05-2017 at 8:26pm
Very cool. Old guys rock.. "yeah my bearing housing is busted.. no big deal.. I think I have a chunk of 4" billet kicking around.. Ill just chuck that bitch up in the lathe and burn a new one.. See? easy!" It is gonna suck when we die. nobody can fix a flipp'n toaster anymore.
Jesus was a bare-footer.............
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-05-2017 at 9:30pm
Why fix when you can buy new?

Kidding of course. Nice job!
LeftFieldEngineering View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LeftFieldEngineering Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-07-2017 at 7:44am
Vary nice.
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-09-2017 at 8:15pm
That's killer Duane. Making Sherwood engineers look like losers.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duane in Indy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-09-2017 at 9:49pm
Originally posted by phatsat67 phatsat67 wrote:

That's killer Duane. Making Sherwood engineers look like losers.

Thanks so much for everybody's comments.
Just took off my Jabsco plastic bodied pump and going to redesign it and reproduce it as it has 2 cracks in it.. Will use it for a backup or let someone else use it. Pictures to follow.
Thanks again, Duane   
        1978 Mustang (modified)
swilliams View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote swilliams Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-09-2017 at 10:08pm
Duane, ScottZ is looking for a plastic bodied Palmer (Thermo-Electron) pump. A pic of it is in the parts wanted section.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
  Share Topic