NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

2017 New Years Day Barefoot Tournment LKN

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
Author
Donald80SN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donald80SN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 2017 New Years Day Barefoot Tournment LKN
    Posted: December-22-2016 at 12:39pm

39th Annual New Year's Day Barefoot Tournament 11:30 AM START TIME !!!!!
The New Year's Day Barefoot Tournament on Lake Norman is one of the longest running and most unique barefoot tournaments in the world. Held annually in Mundy Cove in front of Lake Norman Marina and hosted by the Carolina Show Ski Team, it combines barefoot waterskiing starts, tricks, and endurance into one scored and competitive adventure.

Competitors are divided between boom, male, female, and open; there's a place for you in this tournament regardless of barefooting skill level. This is a USA Water Ski sanctioned event, and there are only 40 participant slots available.

*** REGISTRATION OPENS NOVEMBER 15TH ***

• USAWS Member competitors: $35
• Non-USAWS member competitors: $45
• All spectators: FREE! Bring your camera!

Limited concessions will be available. Invite your barefooting friends to compete and see who will reign supreme!

In the past, the annual event has drawn participants from Florida, Wisconsin, Indiana, Tennessee, Virginia, New Jersey, and, of course, the Carolinas. While water and air temperatures may vary, a heated waterfront building is available for the barefooters to change before running to the dock to take their run.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Did you know that more than a million people die each year as a result of not having shoes to wear? Our barefoot tournament raises money and awareness for Samaritan's Feet International as they provide shoes to the nearly 300 million people who go without shoes each day. Please contact tournaments@carolinashowski.org for more details.

Liked this event? Spread the word :

Event Photos
You need to be logged in to see event photos.Click here to login.

Map  Lake Norman Marina, 6965 North Carolina 150, Sherrills Ford, United States
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donald80SN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-22-2016 at 12:53pm
Last year CCFan's own NCH20Skier was the official USAWS Driver for this event and he is also a competitor. You can see him in the photo above driving his new favorite boat a Cobalt I / O .

Our Larry (75 Tique) and Scott M. ( North Coastidol) were in the top five all day long on there first time visit to this tough event. Also, AirTique98 ( J Bear's Brother) also seems to make it to the event most years.

The thing that is hard about this event, is they run it in a circle, so you are hitting your own wake and prop wash after the first pass. There are several classes including a kids boom class and the last class is for the pro's.

Sorry, no tubing events are scheduled this year.

There is always a big crowd. So of the local motorcycle clubs seem to make this a annual event and there will be fifty or more bike show up for this event. It is a nice family atmosphere. We are asking Chris Quinner to please stay home.

Merry Christmas.

Donald   
1980 Ski Nautique SOLD Back to Cypress Gardens
2002 Sport Nautique, GT-40, FCT2, Cover Sports, Tower Bimini, Inc., Wet Sounds Audio System, Star Gazer Wake Edition S.
1968 Ski Nautique, Project.
NCH20SKIER View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NCH20SKIER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-22-2016 at 12:59pm
I scanned the entries for the event and did not not see Cousin Donald's name so he must be holding out for next years 40th Annual Tournament.
Looks like Larry (75Tique) will be missing from this year's event but our site will be represented by Scott Monahan, Adam Deen and yours truly. I have elected to step aside from driving this year's event to hang with the footers on the dock.
We are going to try to live stream the event on FB but will not offer any promises.

If your in the area you should stop by and support the skiers and the local ski club who will be selling hot dogs, chilli, and host chocolate.

Feel free to call with questions 704.506.5905
'05 206 Limited
'88 BFN
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donald80SN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-22-2016 at 1:08pm
Originally posted by NCH20SKIER NCH20SKIER wrote:

I scanned the entries for the event and did not not see Cousin Donald's name so he must be holding out for next years 40th Annual Tournament.

Greg,

As a lot of you know, I do all of my watersports in a Speedo. Ever since the US Swim Team that that unfortunate problem in Rio, I am trying to get that open Speedo contract. I would signup for the kids boom event but the combined air and water temp might result in shrinkage. I may be mistaken for a lady competitor.

Donald
2002 Sport Nautique, GT-40, FCT2, Cover Sports, Tower Bimini, Inc., Wet Sounds Audio System, Star Gazer Wake Edition S.
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-22-2016 at 1:44pm
To all those thinking about attending to watch or participate, I highly recommend it. Great fun. I am a no show this year because I have to travel to Houston. that weekend.

The guy pictured above came in second in our division, out of 15. He is 73 and went for about 4.5 minutes.

Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-22-2016 at 3:54pm
Is it a barefoot tournament or can you wear socks?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donald80SN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-22-2016 at 6:09pm
Originally posted by Hollywood Hollywood wrote:

No but Hippie Sandals are just fine.

You need to try to work this into your Wisconsin to Orlando back to Wisconsin to Utah and back to Wisconsin Holiday Road Trip. You should be able to fit a Charlotte / Mooresville trip in the middle of that.
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-22-2016 at 7:41pm
Originally posted by Hollywood Hollywood wrote:

You may have asked that question because you recalled a conversation about this picture from last year. I didnt see it happen, but saw the photo and questioned it. Greg told me the guy went in to it not intending to compete but just to make an "exhibition" run. I wish you could wear booties, I could go a lot farther as I have a problem with hot foot at about the 1 minute mark.

You should leave FL 2 days early and stop here on the way back. You would probably tear it up. Didnt I hear that you did a run like all the way down and back Owasco Lake last summer......twice?   Or something like that.
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-22-2016 at 9:30pm
Yes Larry that's it. Glad you remembered.

Let me remind you before she reminds me that this is her vacation too. Atleast at Lake Carlin she can lay in the sun while I ski.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NCH20SKIER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-22-2016 at 9:55pm
She could provide counseling to Buddy and Rocky
'05 206 Limited
'88 BFN
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donald80SN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-01-2017 at 7:18pm
I was a spectator at today's event with about 30 contestants with CCFan well represented. The temp was 46 degrees with a sometimes misty rain. It was cloudy all day which made for a cold wet feel for the day. The rain was not really an issue but it just added to the challenge. These folks for CC Fan participated in the event:

NCH20Skier Greg F., IAughtNaut, Adam D. , North Coastidol Scott M. and his Cousin David M. Also, Adam's Girl Friend Vandygayle entered in the Boom Division and had a great run. There was a 74 and a 77 year old competitor and one traveled from as far away as Winnipeg Canada. Several were from NJ, OH, IN, PA, and Florida. The gentlemen that was in the lead after round one in the Open ( Top) level, did a backwards dock start and I have a great picture to post of that start. I will post the other photo's of site members as soon as I can.

Adam was a real crowd pleaser. His run got off to a ruff start and he was doing a ton of thrashing and the boat when into the first turn before he had gotten on his feet so he was swung out very hard and fast and the crowd was amazed has he just popped up from the spray onto his feet. John Gillette was working the PA system and was right there with the crowd in amazement that we was able to save the run and get to his feet.   It was priceless.   
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donald80SN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-02-2017 at 11:35am
OK, here are some of my I-Phone 6 photo's.

Greg F.

Adam D.
He went first and I was getting my daughter, Natalie a Coffee so I missed, on film his crazy start, but I got his first lap on film.

Vandygayle, Adam's Girl Friend was in the Boom Division and Started from a Surf Board.

Scott M did his first run and then choose to put up a second run.

Second Run

I did not get a good shot of David M., Scott's Cousin. I did get a good shot of Santa. You would of thought he would of been tried from Christmas.

This guys is a retired Correct Craft Dealer from Ohio, I think, that is 77 years old / young.

It was a great event.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donald80SN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-02-2017 at 11:38am
There was a professional taking pictures all day long. When I find out where those pictures are posted I will let you know. Last year there were several hundred photo's from inside and outside of the boat to view.
IAughtNaut View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IAughtNaut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-02-2017 at 12:07pm
what a great event. probably around 30 competitors, everybody out there just having fun. there were a few pretty serious looking photographers on the dock but I'm pretty sure there were none in the boat.

I had my trusty waterproof camera with me though (I haven't figured out how to film myself with it but Greg and David got pretty decent shots with their phones. they are on facebook but I have zero idea how to get them here. Davids has my whole run which is cool cause I really sold out going for the faceplate award)

Scott

David

Greg

Vandygayle

Scott #2
bring the ruckus
2000 Pro Air
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-02-2017 at 5:37pm
Congrats to all of this years CCF participants, You represented us well and special kudos to Vandygalye for jumping in and joining the boys. It is a great event. Nice we had some more join the team this year. Sorry I missed it this year. Hopefully I'll be back next year.
IAughtNaut View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IAughtNaut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-02-2017 at 6:30pm
oh, the best part of the day, there was a mixup on getting the cobalt insured so the hydrodyne you can see in my videos was the tow boat. no tower, no fly high, you were getting a low pull or staying on the dock.
bring the ruckus
2000 Pro Air
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-02-2017 at 6:46pm
Originally posted by IAughtNaut IAughtNaut wrote:

oh, the best part of the day was the tow boat. no tower, no fly high, you were getting a low pull or staying on the dock.

And what did we start with way back and it worked for years!!

I too would like to thank the CCfan'rs for their representation.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
lewy2001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lewy2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-02-2017 at 7:48pm
Adam do they have a butt glide comp?? You could lap that lake all day long :)
If you're going through hell, keep going

89 Ski

<a href="http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=5685" ta
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NCH20SKIER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-02-2017 at 7:58pm
Tourney was a good time and well represented by CCF Skiers. While the results / hardware may not prove this we damn sure had a good time. I would encourage any level of footer to come have some fun at this event.
'05 206 Limited
'88 BFN
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-03-2017 at 1:38am
Appreciate the shout out on Scott's second run. Looking forward to seeing Adam's run. Little do they all know it wasn't really anything out of the ordinary from him.
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-03-2017 at 2:35am
Thanx Adam Deen!

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-03-2017 at 12:29pm
Charlotte Observer Coverage

Still looking forward to the "professional" photos. Last year there were links to two great sets of photos from the event. I hope they show up shortly. They were very good last year.
AirTique98 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AirTique98 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-03-2017 at 6:11pm
     Thanks to Adam and "The Donald" for the great pictures and videos!! Fun event that I thoroughly enjoyed viewing two years ago while in Charlotte for the Holidays. My son usually competes but the addition of a fourth child recently [all age 6 or less] forced a change in priorities for the day. Great to see CCF represented so well by so many!!
     I was particularly excited to see that an old friend from back in the day won the men's division....John Cornish!! Met John when he was a teenager back around 1970 and he was tearing up the Youghiogheny River and had the opportunity to 'foot with him many times including in '74 and '75 when he joined us on vacation on Lake X.. Had to go back to the old picture albums to confirm the dates....I believe John went on to become a member of the World Team around '78.
     Love this sport...sure would have been cool to see John again after all these years!!
Bill
98Air Nautique

Former Owner:
1990 Ski Nautique
1981 Ski Nautique
1976 Ski Nautique
1971 Ski Nautique
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-04-2017 at 12:18am
From John Gillette's book, second edition.

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donald80SN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-04-2017 at 2:06am
Bill,
There was a point in the competition when John Gillette was announcing the event and he needed to do some paperwork with the scores. Basically, he needed to kill some time, so he gave the microphone to John Cornish. John gave a quick bio of his footing history of the sport and the start of barefooting and I wish someone got it on tape because it was unbelievable. He spoke about how d*ck Pope Jr. and another gentlemen started the sport. He was very impressive with what he had to say and also impressive on the lake.

I was looking for you at the event this year.

Donald

PS, I thought about telling him about my old Cypress Gardens d*ck Pope Jr. 1980 Correct Craft, but I did not want to turn the event into being all about me when he was speaking about Mr. d*ck Pope Jr. .
AirTique98 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AirTique98 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-04-2017 at 2:14am
Originally posted by Donald80SN Donald80SN wrote:

Bill,

I was looking for you at the event this year.

Donald

Donald:
                  Would have loved to been there...had the 2nd hip replaced five weeks ago and while feeling great a road trip had not been in the plans. On the list for 2018 and thanks for thinking of me!
Bill
98Air Nautique

Former Owner:
1990 Ski Nautique
1981 Ski Nautique
1976 Ski Nautique
1971 Ski Nautique
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NCH20SKIER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-04-2017 at 9:57am
Originally posted by AirTique98 AirTique98 wrote:

Thanks to Adam and "The Donald" for the great pictures and videos!! Fun event that I thoroughly enjoyed viewing two years ago while in Charlotte for the Holidays. My son usually competes but the addition of a fourth child recently [all age 6 or less] forced a change in priorities for the day. Great to see CCF represented so well by so many!!
     I was particularly excited to see that an old friend from back in the day won the men's division....John Cornish!! Met John when he was a teenager back around 1970 and he was tearing up the Youghiogheny River and had the opportunity to 'foot with him many times including in '74 and '75 when he joined us on vacation on Lake X.. Had to go back to the old picture albums to confirm the dates....I believe John went on to become a member of the World Team around '78.
     Love this sport...sure would have been cool to see John again after all these years!!

From Johns FB Page

JC Cornish Thanks. I found an old pic of us doing a barefoot pyramid. I was trying to remember who all participated. The guys with the club basically gave me the bump to go for it with barefooting when they visited the Yough. Then I crashed a Delta kite on one of the Lake N trips and that ended my kite flying and bumped up my barefooting.
'05 206 Limited
'88 BFN
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NCH20SKIER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-04-2017 at 1:21pm
John posted this on his FB page - he believes that Bill was at the helm during this pull. With that baseball grip on the top of the pyramid it makes you wonder if that is Scott.

Photo at Lake X

'05 206 Limited
'88 BFN
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NCH20SKIER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-04-2017 at 1:22pm
'05 206 Limited
'88 BFN
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-04-2017 at 2:22pm
To be fair that's just the way it was done back then. Old habits are hard to break.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
  Share Topic