Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Quick Fuel Carb

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
bb12 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bb12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Quick Fuel Carb
    Posted: December-03-2016 at 1:31pm
I've been eyeing a new carb for my 89 next spring, as my current 4160 has seen better days. I'm leaning toward the Quick Fuel 600 cfm as a stock replacement to my 4160. Just wondering if anyone has any experience with the QF carbs.
1989 Ski Nautique 2001
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-03-2016 at 2:04pm
Braden,
I just used the site search (google would be better) and about 11 hits came up on Quickfuel just in the last 6 months. I'd provide a link to the search but I seem to remember they expire after a certain time. Lot's of good reports on the carb!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
bb12 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bb12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-03-2016 at 2:25pm
Thanks, Pete. All of the threads I found were 3-4 yrs old.
1989 Ski Nautique 2001
Duane in Indy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duane in Indy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-03-2016 at 2:31pm
Give them a call first and talk to tech guys. They are very helpful. You may want to go with a 650 cfm because of the mechanical secondaries, four corner idle screws, and different fuel inlet fitting. Totally different carb than 600. They will know what is best for you. They helped me pick mine out.
Keep it as original as YOU want it
        1978 Mustang (modified)
bb12 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bb12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-03-2016 at 3:16pm
Originally posted by Duane in Indy Duane in Indy wrote:

Give them a call first and talk to tech guys. They are very helpful. You may want to go with a 650 cfm because of the mechanical secondaries, four corner idle screws, and different fuel inlet fitting. Totally different carb than 600. They will know what is best for you. They helped me pick mine out.

Thanks, Duane- I'll give them a call. You don't think the 650 would be too much carb for a stock 351?
1989 Ski Nautique 2001
Duane in Indy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duane in Indy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-03-2016 at 3:24pm
Originally posted by bb12 bb12 wrote:

Give them a call first and talk to tech guys. They are very helpful. .

Thanks, Duane- I'll give them a call. You don't think the 650 would be too much carb for a stock 351?

Like I said "call them first"   They are the pros
Keep it as original as YOU want it
        1978 Mustang (modified)
Jonny Quest View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonny Quest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-04-2016 at 12:21pm
I have a QF M-600 marine carb on my 1994 SN with 351W High Output engine. I had to convert from Throttle-Body EFI back to carb and distributor after the TBI failed as parts for TBI and engine management control systems were NLA (no longer available).

So, I went from TBI-EFI back to carburetor. In my opinion, the engine performance has not suffered one bit. The QF carb makes the boat feel like the TBI did when everything was working properly.

The QF M-600 design is really what the Holley "should be". It is based on the 4160 but with many upgrades and features that are not on the Holley.

Here are a few things on the QF that are not on the Holley:

- Replaceable jets in the secondary metering block
- Replaceable air bleeds for Primary and Secondary circuits
- Float bowl sight windows
- External float adjustment hardware
- Superior metal casting (much better fit & finish)

The Holley is a good unit. No debate there. The QF is simply a much better unit. Plus, it COSTS LESS!

JQ
Current
2003 Ski Nautique 206 Limited

Previous
2001 Ski Nautique Open Bow
1994 Ski Nautique Open Bow

Aqua skiing, ergo sum
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonny Quest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-04-2016 at 12:26pm
Originally posted by bb12 bb12 wrote:

For a stock 351, the 600 CFM is plenty. The QF 650 carb is a very nice unit, but it is about $100 more. Unless you stroke the 351 or modify it to rev up to 6,000 RPMs, the M-600 is really all you would need.

JQ
Current

Previous

Aqua skiing, ergo sum
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-05-2016 at 11:41am
Go quick fuel and enjoy an almost fuel injected like experience. Ive installed around 6-10 of those carbs now.
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-05-2016 at 12:37pm
Personally i would choose the 650 for the mech secs, and the 1/8" larger primary bore, the latter keeps one entirely out of the secondaries at 36 mph slalom where a 600 vac sec one has to dab into the secondaries when compensating. The throttle response will always will be more crisp in that narrow transition point with the 650, by design, and the larger primary throttle bore will likely avoid it altogether.
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
bb12 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bb12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-07-2016 at 7:03pm
Thanks for the feedback. I've tried calling QF, but haven't been able to get through to anyone. I just sit on hold forever.
1989 Ski Nautique 2001
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonny Quest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-07-2016 at 10:09pm
Summit Racing has the M-650 on sale for $539. Buy it! (You will also need to run a dual feed fuel line with the M-650)

LINK

JQ
Current

Previous

Aqua skiing, ergo sum
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic