NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Buick 401 Nailhead

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Hussler View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hussler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Buick 401 Nailhead
    Posted: December-03-2016 at 3:17am
Wow, I am having a hard time finding any info or parts for marinized Buick nailheads. Just bought a 1959 Century Coronado with a Buick 401. Any good direction you guys could point me?
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-03-2016 at 6:10am
Use "Gray Marine" as key words for all your searches and not "401" or "Buick". Also Van Ness Engineering bought all the surplus Gray parts. What are you looking for? Don't you work for a marina that services classic boats? No help from them?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
swilliams View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote swilliams Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-03-2016 at 12:39pm
Check with A&A marine in Manistee, Michigan. They have a website but not sure of that link.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-03-2016 at 2:07pm
Jim,
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

What are you looking for?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Hussler View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hussler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-03-2016 at 9:28pm
Ah, Gray marine okay, the exhaust manifolds were replaced and I couldn't tell who marinized it, now that I type in Gray 280hp I'm getting a lot of search results. Ive run across the little Buick v6s but never one of these. Just looking for basic maintenance pays and info on specs
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-04-2016 at 12:04am
Jim,
marineengine.com has a reprint of the manual available.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-04-2016 at 10:28am
Originally posted by Hussler Hussler wrote:

Ah, Gray marine okay, the exhaust manifolds were replaced and I couldn't tell who marinized it, now that I type in Gray 280hp I'm getting a lot of search results. Ive run across the little Buick v6s but never one of these.

Jim,
Gray had a problem with their V8 exhaust manifolds. There's a thin section at the aft end that burns through. What you have now are very heavy Barr manifolds. If you ever want to restore the engine and come across a set of Gray manifolds, the weak area can be modified internally and externally with a heavier section. I know you are talented but also Crow Custom Cast has done many of the modifications.

How about some pictures of the Century as well as the Gray? Hoes the bottom on the boat?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
JD ski View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD ski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-04-2016 at 7:53pm
Yes, pictures. That is one of my favorite boats, the lines are amazing on the early Coronado. I aspire to own one.
JD ski, slicing, dicing, and shredding since 1981

1999 Air Nautique, GT40 Pro Boss, Trail Rite trailer
1975 Century Resorter
Hussler View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hussler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-04-2016 at 9:13pm
Not sure what parts I'll need yet, filed the points and got it running today and it sounded great, but there's some antifreeze in the oil. No cracks externally and it looks quite Original, but it will probably come out and get torn down anyway.

Has some wood issues in different spots but is not a basket case. Has a new bottom, mahogany over plywood. I'll probably run it as is next summer to enjoy my investment a little, then tear it down.

Only piece I'm missing is the roof anchor light, but the po said he would keep looking for it.

For anybody who's into Centurys this is boat 71 of 166

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-04-2016 at 10:44pm

Has some wood issues in different spots but is not a basket case. Has a new bottom, mahogany over plywood.

Jim,
Fill us in on the above. A PO pulled the single plank off and put on a double plank bottom???

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-06-2016 at 7:46am
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Has some wood issues in different spots but is not a basket case. Has a new bottom, mahogany over plywood.

Jim,
Fill us in on the above. A PO pulled the single plank off and put on a double plank bottom???

Jim,
I'm really curious about the bottom. From your description, it does sound like the boat was double planked which is unusual for a Century.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Hussler View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hussler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-06-2016 at 6:12pm
I checked it again, that's definitely what's going on. Plywood was attached to the ribs and then mahogany over that. Not sure why they would do it like that. The planks run very long lengths and are very tight, looks like an expensive/well done job.

What do you guys use for photo hosting now adays? Photobucket is completely bogged down with ads
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-06-2016 at 6:25pm

What do you guys use for photo hosting now adays? Photobucket is completely bogged down with ads

No kidding, thought it was me but that site is so ssssslooowww!!
81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-06-2016 at 7:22pm

I checked it again, that's definitely what's going on. Plywood was attached to the ribs and then mahogany over that. Not sure why they would do it like that. The planks run very long lengths and are very tight, looks like an expensive/well done job.

The only reason NOT to do that would be for originality but the two ply job they did to your boat is preferable for a long lasting dry boat. The plank on batten Century bottoms are the quickest way to the bottom of the lake. If it's a true 5200 bottom you done good. Cool boat.
peter1234 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peter1234 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-06-2016 at 8:13pm
Anxiously awaiting Pete's reply
former skylark owner now a formula but I cant let this place go
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-06-2016 at 8:50pm
Jim,
I agree with Alan regarding a double plank bottom being a good method of building a boat hull but I wouldn't go as far as saying that a single plank is the "quickest way to the bottom" ! Century's used the single plank for weight reduction. They always built a fast boat and weren't afraid of putting rather large engines in their boats. The bad about a singe plank is it does require soaking to expand the planking making it water tight. Those days are over for you especially if a the 5200 method was used on your double plank. Hopefully they did a 5200 and didn't hard epoxy it. Regarding the originality of double planking a Century, you would loose a point or two if judged by ACBS rules.

Glad to hear the engine running. Enjoy the boat. BTW, no trim tabs on that boat!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Hussler View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hussler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-06-2016 at 11:32pm
What do you guys use for hosting photos for free? Photobucket is pretty much all ads.
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-07-2016 at 12:02pm
Originally posted by quinner quinner wrote:

No kidding, thought it was me but that site is so ssssslooowww!!

You're kidding. You guys are still trying to use that worthless dinosaur. I suppose you access it with this, right?
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-07-2016 at 1:05pm
I wish Larry, I'm still using smoke signals, if it's windy forget it. Any recommendations? I have not even been able to upload pictures lately
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-07-2016 at 3:00pm
Funny I was just talking to Jbear the other day and we talked about photobucket. Both of us think it's great!! Slow???

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Hussler View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hussler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-09-2016 at 12:47am
Mines completely bogged down with ads, took me like 5 minutes to get that one pic of the century on here, used to be flawless, I can't think of another website that's worse
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic