Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Gas Tank

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
cbcecil View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cbcecil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Gas Tank
    Posted: November-30-2016 at 7:53pm
Need some advice. My fuel tank gauge on my dash flutters back and forth like crazy. I have a 1982 Mustang. Not sure if it's the gauge or in my tank itself. Has anyone experienced this? What did you find was causing it, and what was the fix? Sure would be nice to tell how much fuel I've used or how much I have left......just sayin'.....! Thanks in advance.

Casey
cbcecil
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-30-2016 at 8:02pm
Casey,
Get the VOM (volt Ohm meter) out. Check and clean all your wiring connections. Make sure you have a decent 12 volt nominal at the gauge and the tank itself has a good ground to the engine. If the gauge is still erratic, pull the sender and check it's resistance through the stroke of the float.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
MACS81SN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MACS81SN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-30-2016 at 8:03pm
The variable resistor that makes up the sending unit probably has some corrosion on the windings or has some open spots from wear. Solution is to replace. If it's original it's lasted a long time. Just make sure the new one has a similar resistance. I don't recall for sure but think they are around 230 ohms or so.   You may have to do some custom bending of the float rod but it's pretty easy.
Mark

1999 -SN - 502 Python
1981 - SN Owned 33 years - Sold
1968 - Mustang - Sold

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic