Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

1982 Correct Craft Mustang ?'s

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
cbcecil View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cbcecil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1982 Correct Craft Mustang ?'s
    Posted: November-28-2016 at 12:26am
Hello to all! I'm fairly new to the forum. I bought my first boat and I scored a 1982 Correct Craft Mustang that's ALL original and only 752 hours on it. It had been in storage for about 10 years, but with some TLC she runs out brilliantly.

I'm looking for a few things and have a few questions as well.

1) Anyone have any suggestions on where to get any of the following: replacement side vent glass/window, windshield (or whole assembly), duplicate vinyl/skins, or artificial carpet/turf with marine backing?

2) She runs smooth at butter, but when I get to about 35-40 mph there's a little vibration. I can't tell if it's in the motor or in the prop shaft. But up until that mph, everything is spot on and perfect.

3) Is it natural that the boat pulls to the left? It doesn't do it at lower speeds, just at about 15+ mph. And I also noticed that it turns much easier in reverse for one direction, but doesn't want to turn much the other direction even though moving forward it turns either way no problem.

4) Regarding the above items I'm looking to replace, should I keep it as original as possible? Or is it better to restore? The vinyl and carpet really is in dang good shape being 34 years old.

cbcecil
Donald80SN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donald80SN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-28-2016 at 12:58am
Originally posted by cbcecil cbcecil wrote:

1) Anyone have any suggestions on where to get any of the following: replacement side vent glass/window, windshield (or whole assembly), duplicate vinyl/skins, or artificial carpet/turf with marine backing?

The Side vent glass is very hard to come by. You basically have to find someone parting out a boat. Any glass shop can make you a tempered glass piece, semi green in color to fit the spot with the proper holes drilled in it for a low price. The issue is the metal hinge. The hinge just slides on the glass and glues into place. They also have some rubber that looks like an inter tube applied to the hinge to keep it from rattling and to keep it in place. You will find that there is a difference in vent window size from year to year. That is OK get one and pull off the hinge and have a glass shop custom cut the proper size of glass and then you are good to go. Always watch this site and e-bay for someone selling a windshield or parts to come up with one. It will take some time. The plastic hinges are still available from Taylor Made on E-Bay . The Square handle latch are not available anymore as new.

I went through this with my 1980 Ski Nautique and when I finally got the vent windows correct, I never opened them again in fear of them falling off in the highway. They were just there for looks. Some say that about me.

Interior, there is a site sponsor titled Christine's Marine in Orlando Florida. If you give then your hull number, they can reproduce your factory interior back to OEM. It is not cheap and they do not do installs any more but it will be correct. Then you will need to find a local shop to install the skins. Look for the Christine's Marine banner on the top left hand side of the site.

Christine's Marine also has carpet so you can see what they have for your boat. Also, TBenj, highly recommends these guys and I have seen some of their samples and they do look good. Go to www.MarineCarpeting.com, (formerly bassboatcarpets). It would be good for you to do an advanced search for Boat Carpet by TBenj and go back a few years and review some of Tim's post and you can learn a lot about the process. He is a bright young man and one of my cousins.

2) She runs smooth at butter, but when I get to about 35-40 mph there's a little vibration. I can't tell if it's in the motor or in the prop shaft. But up until that mph, everything is spot on and perfect.

You need to check your alignment. Do a site search and there is a great video by Pete Brainerd where he walks you through how to do it. Basically, you take the four bolts out of your drive coupling and use a feeler gauge to make sure the gap is correct between the two coupler faces. You then jack the motor up and down side to side to get the gap correct within .003 thousands. Also, you need to make sure the drive shaft is in the middle of the log which goes through the boat bottom and Pete shows a way to make sure your drive shaft is not bent. Also, you may have a slight tweak of your prop. It may have taken a hit. Worse case is your stringers, engine supports are seeing some rot. In 1980, Correct Craft started using a cradle for the engine so this helps support the engine in the event of rotting stringers, in some cases.

3) Is it natural that the boat pulls to the left? It doesn't do it at lower speeds, just at about 15+ mph. And I also noticed that it turns much easier in reverse for one direction, but doesn't want to turn much the other direction even though moving forward it turns either way no problem.

Yes, Correct Craft is basically the only Ski Boat maker that used a reverse rotation engine. This was done for safety. You approach you down skier from the driver's side and the boat will naturally pull to the left to help keep you from running over your skier or tuber. We have some guys here who do a lot of tubing. Also, by pulling to the left it helps off set the weight of the driver being on the right hand side of the boat. Some of the newer boats have adjustable tabs on the rudders to compensate for this turning in the ski course. It is normal for your correct craft to pull slightly to the left. If it does it real bad there could be other issues like water logged floatation foam and such. The reverse rotation is just one of the reasons that Correct Crafts are unique and many of us CCFan's believe are a better ski boat than some of the other's on the market.

4) Regarding the above items I'm looking to replace, should I keep it as original as possible? Or is it better to restore? The vinyl and carpet really is in dang good shape being 34 years old.

Most on this site, including Pete, believe in keeping these old boats as close to original as possible. Your wallet will determine if you will be able to just clean her up or resort her to OEM. If the vinyl is not torn, I would not replace it yet.

I see your have some cool graphics that you did not ask about. However, those were painted in the factory with Rustoleum Paint. You can mask those off and repaint those yourself and make that girl pop. She is a pretty girl right now.

I hope this helps,

Donald

1980 Ski Nautique SOLD Back to Cypress Gardens
2002 Sport Nautique, GT-40, FCT2, Cover Sports, Tower Bimini, Inc., Wet Sounds Audio System, Star Gazer Wake Edition S.
1968 Ski Nautique, Project.
cbcecil View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cbcecil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-28-2016 at 1:30am
Donald

Thanks for the feedback and super quick response. I'll keep an eye out for some glass. I found a guy in South Carolina that got me the original Taylor Made hinges and vent window hardware (fairly cheap too).

I think I'll leave the vinyl alone as its pretty fair. But I'm about to winterize it and I plan on doing the carpet (at least the floor) in the spring. When I put it up I plan on making sure the stringers and other components aren't compromised by moisture, etc. There's a small soft spot under the driver's seat so I'll dig it out and patch it with eposy/resin.

I want to keep it as original as possible. I just refinished the shift knob and found the gold globe metal emblem for the center peice (looks good). I think I'll get the hull wet sanded and looking good in the spring too. The finishing touch, as you mentioned, will be to go back and repaint the original pattern on the side. I have the font and size, so everything else should be to scale.

In the end, I'm sooooo happy I didn't go with the aluminum fishing boat I was looking at when I bought this. It's fun to work on and fun to drive! Thanks again!

Casey
cbcecil
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-28-2016 at 1:49am
The left pull is OK and a result of prop rotation and rudder tuning. Some tension on the steering wheel will allow you to keep a straight path when pulling a skier.

That's a pretty rare boat, enjoy.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-28-2016 at 6:35am
Casey,
Welcome to CC ownership. Yes, as mentioned that's a pretty rare boat and I encourage you to keep it as close to original as possible. Enjoy !

I'd like to add to the great comments. Regarding the vibration, do check your alignment but I'd say that's not the cause. An out of alignment condition put's the prop shaft in a bind and typically snubs vibration. The cause is more likely to be a bent prop shaft or a prop that needs a tune up/repair. Sent the prop out to a prop shop and check the shaft with a dial indicator for straightness. The common spot for a bent shaft is aft of the strut. That's where a bend typically occurs when there's a prop strike..

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-28-2016 at 10:24am

And I also noticed that it turns much easier in reverse for one direction, but doesn't want to turn much the other direction even though moving forward it turns either way no problem.

Nobody addressed Casey's question about steering in reverse. Casey, That's normal. Its not that it steers easier in one direction than the other, its that you essentially have no steering control in reverse in an inboard. To steer an inboard, you need water rushing by the rudder. In reverse, you have no water rushing by the rudder. You really have little to no steering control in reverse. Normal. What you are feeling, in terms of it seeming like it steers better in one direction than the other is its natural tendency for a reverse rotation engine and its associated right hand propeller, to pull to the left as you back up. A left hand propeller tends to pull to the right. With some experience, you will learn how to use that pull to get the boat where you want it.

A seasoned inboard driver thinks nothing of it, but apparently Mastercraft doesn't cater to seasoned inboard drivers because they recently came up with this goofy innovation of mounting a couple small rudders ahead of the propeller to facilitate turning in reverse, to which I say, If you cant drive an inboard, don't buy one. (I am not saying that to you, I am saying that to mastercraft/mastercraft owners)
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-28-2016 at 10:52am
Originally posted by 75 Tique 75 Tique wrote:

[QUOTE=cbcecil]   
A seasoned inboard driver thinks nothing of it, but apparently Mastercraft doesn't cater to seasoned inboard drivers because they recently came up with this goofy innovation of mounting a couple small rudders ahead of the propeller to facilitate turning in reverse, to which I say, If you cant drive an inboard, don't buy one. (I am not saying that to you, I am saying that to mastercraft/mastercraft owners)

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
cbcecil View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cbcecil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-28-2016 at 11:39am
Donald,

Just noticed that you are down in good ol' Denver, NC. The pictures I posted were from this past week over Thanksgiving (70 degree and beautiful) at High Rock Lake. Thanks again for the feedback, and I'll probably be in touch.

Casey
cbcecil
cbcecil View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cbcecil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-28-2016 at 11:44am
Larry (75 Tique),

Thanks for the feedback. Just noticed that you too are in North Carolina. I live in Clayton, not too far away.

I'll work on my "reverse skills". I'll get use to it. Main boats I've ever operated are pontoons and Formula. With the fun factor that my Mustang has, it's a characteristic that I'll easily overlook and is 1st world problems!
cbcecil
Donald80SN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donald80SN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-28-2016 at 1:44pm

Donald,

Just noticed that you are down in good ol' Denver, NC. The pictures I posted were from this past week over Thanksgiving (70 degree and beautiful) at High Rock Lake. Thanks again for the feedback, and I'll probably be in touch.

Casey

Casey,

I have a good friend on High Rock. He had a 85 Ski Nautique and now has a 2000'ish Tigre. I had to stop being his friend.    Just kidding.

We (CCFAN) have a big outing in October on Badin Lake and we have folks from all of the East Coast come and Ski and drink too much. If you are in Clayton, we have a big party at White Lake the last weekend in April every year. We have around 30 boats from Florida to Maine. They are all Correct Crafts from the 60's to brand new. Mostly from the 70's. You should plan on attending. We (CCFAN) do it in conjunction with White Lake Marine there in White Lake, NC. We stay from Friday to Sunday or longer. We basically have the lake to ourselves.

You also may want to check the bearing material in your strut as you are inspecting your drive shaft and prop for correctness. Your strut has a brass with rubber bushing insert that acts as a bearing for the drive shaft. Those do wear out over the years.

I travel with my job, exotic dancer, and I am in the Raleigh area from time to time so if you need me to take a look at something I can . Just shoot me a PM.

Donald
1980 Ski Nautique SOLD Back to Cypress Gardens
2002 Sport Nautique, GT-40, FCT2, Cover Sports, Tower Bimini, Inc., Wet Sounds Audio System, Star Gazer Wake Edition S.
1968 Ski Nautique, Project.
NCH20SKIER View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NCH20SKIER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-29-2016 at 7:35am
Casey
Welcome to the Mustang Club.
High Rock is just above Badin Lake which is where I am located. Plenty of good water on Badin so if your trailering come on by
'05 206 Limited
'88 BFN
DrCC View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrCC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-08-2021 at 2:24pm
Ok, here's the top secret to backing to starboard.
1. 2 or 3 second bump in (R)
2. Grab-up some Neutral  3 or 4 seconds
3. Resume (R) position (reverse) just idle, no throttle.
4. Enjoy,  Go anywhere you want, Back-in the slip at the Restaurant. Impress everyone at the launch ramp,  (just don't back-up on the launch ramp.)

The key is:  ya gotta give the rudder "time" to "catch"
More throttle is like giving the rudder a beer, then the rudder says to you "hahahaha hold my beer an watch this."
Works for Leftists also, just reverse your thinking.
edit: and PS.   You Century owners might have to give it the "pause" twice.
Keep it....from sinkin'
67 ski nat View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 67 ski nat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-10-2021 at 9:39am
Welcome. Sounds like a cool find
Try and post couple pictures
Your asking all right questions
Enjoy
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic