NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

1995 SNOB winter overhaul

Post Reply Post Reply Page   123>
Author
emccallum View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote emccallum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1995 SNOB winter overhaul
    Posted: October-30-2016 at 11:46pm
Well, the time has come to put some time and money into my SNOB. . I sold my 82SN earlier this year. I am really glad I did, because the young guy, 24, had a great time this summer with it and is really excited about having the SN.

I have never liked the purple and teal, but the boat was in such good condition when I bought, I just couldn't let it go. It has been a great boat. It has about 825 hours on it and has been well maintained over the years. This is my problem list and plan:

Problems:
1. Leaking rear main seal
2. Worn out interior
3. Water jacket on one head has been leaking water for the last 3 years and the JB weld just isnt cutting it any longer
4. Rub rail has seen too many of my kids (and wife) learn to drive.
5. Stereo head unit is dated.

Plan:
1. pull motor and replace heads with GT40 heads, maybe do a full engine rebuild.
2. New skins, paint new stripes on the boat.
3. New rub rail and stereo
4. Redo packing, and anything else that looks like it could be refreshed.

So far:
Earlier this summer, I sat with the family and threw out a bunch of color swatches from Christines and we decided on a new color scheme. I ordered all new skins. They have arrived and look great.

Today, I pulled out all the interior, removed the rub rail, and got the engine ready to be pulled out.

I would have pulled the engine today, but a friend of mine recently got diagnosed with cancer (50 years old), and it isnt good. His wife called a friend early this morning in a panic that his treatment has him so weak that he cant walk and is in a wheelchair. So, a group of us got together and went over and built a ramp. Sometimes life just sucks. I have known him since HS.

I will post some pictures as it gets done.....hope you like the color choice! If not, its my oldest daughters fault.

JD ski View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD ski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-31-2016 at 12:22am
I am a believer that if you are going to seal up the top of the compression chamber you may want to seal up the bottom with some new rings. It is not required but something to consider. A new circulating water pump is something to think about also. Let's see some pictures of the new colors.
JD ski, slicing, dicing, and shredding since 1981

1999 Air Nautique, GT40 Pro Boss, Trail Rite trailer
1975 Century Resorter
emccallum View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote emccallum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-31-2016 at 1:11am
Agree, I will probably end up rebuilding the bottom end just because I am already in there.
Blamey View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blamey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-31-2016 at 1:18am
Rub rail looks bad. I think I found a source for the replacement rail. I posted links last week but can forward them if you are interested. It's much cheaper than what I had previously found. Rail and insert were about $350.

I have a 95 sport and it's also teal (I don't have the purple just teal) At first I thought about trying to changing the interior but it's grown on me and I decided to keep the boat original.
96 Super Sport
Previously: 95 Sport Nautique, 1980 Ski Supreme
emccallum View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote emccallum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-31-2016 at 2:37am
Blamy,
I would appreciate the link for the rub rail. It looks like the replacement kit runs around $650. That is a bit steep, so I have been searching for options.

I skied behind a new SN and loved it. I thought about upgrading until I found out a used one was still fetching 50K! Crazy. So, I decided to go this route and change it up a little to make it seem like a new boat. It will have all the CC logos, just different colors.

ernest
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-31-2016 at 7:40am
Originally posted by emccallum emccallum wrote:

Blamy,
I would appreciate the link for the rub rail. It looks like the replacement kit runs around $650. That is a bit steep, so I have been searching for options.
ernest

Ernest,
Here's the thread on blue rub rail. Paul's posting in it last week is at the very end.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
GlassSeeker View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GlassSeeker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-31-2016 at 1:54pm
Chemo sucks so go visit that friend ....do what you can to help even if it's just letting him know you want to stop by.
This is the life
emccallum View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote emccallum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-31-2016 at 4:55pm
Originally posted by GlassSeeker GlassSeeker wrote:

Chemo sucks so go visit that friend ....do what you can to help even if it's just letting him know you want to stop by.

absolutely.
relake View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote relake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-31-2016 at 6:00pm
Ernest, looks like we are practically neighbors.....spent all summer weekends up at Clarks Hill

Good Luck on the repairs!
emccallum View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote emccallum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-31-2016 at 6:33pm
Originally posted by relake relake wrote:

Ernest, looks like we are practically neighbors.....spent all summer weekends up at Clarks Hill

Good Luck on the repairs!

Thanks, I am in little River and we usually spend most summer weekends down there. If you are in the are keep an eye out for me. We have several older CC's that get together during the summer. I will be the guy NOT pulling a tube!
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-31-2016 at 7:13pm
Originally posted by emccallum emccallum wrote:

we usually spend most summer weekends OT pulling a tube!

tubing overtime!
emccallum View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote emccallum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-31-2016 at 8:45pm
Ok, busted with that quote! Someone must have hacked my private server....the Russians did it! I have one of those weiner tubes that I always pull out.

ernest Danger
JD ski View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD ski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-31-2016 at 10:59pm
Originally posted by GlassSeeker GlassSeeker wrote:

Well said, when times get tough, true friends shine. Keep shining, your friend and his family are going to need it.
JD ski, slicing, dicing, and shredding since 1981

1999 Air Nautique, GT40 Pro Boss, Trail Rite trailer
1975 Century Resorter
emccallum View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote emccallum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-02-2016 at 11:27pm
New rubrail with black insert from Integrity marine. It is the exact dimensions as the OEM. Very pleased, thanks to Blamey.

emccallum View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote emccallum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-05-2016 at 10:17pm

Motor is out, Oil leak looks like the oil pan more than the rear main seal. I tore it down to the long block and took it to my engine guy. We talked about the build, and he is going to get back to me about the bottom end, but we are leaning towards doing it right, once.

He did throw me a pearl about #1 cylinder. He said the easiest way to find #1 on a V8 is to look at the head that sticks out the most. That is always #1.

More pics to come.
KRoundy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KRoundy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-09-2016 at 8:03pm
Great project for a worthy machine. Keep posting the pictures and let us enjoy the ride with you.
Previous: 1993 Electric Blue/Charcoal Ski Nautique
Current: 2016 Ski Nautique 200 Open Bow
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-10-2016 at 4:43am
Number one cylinder is the head that sticks forward the most if looking down on the engine from the front on V based engines, V-6 or V-8, V-12.
Not the rear or flywheel side.   years ago I saw a boat with the Jag V-12 in it.
Can't remember what kind of boat it was but the Jag engine sure stuck.
Don't see those in boats.
emccallum View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote emccallum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-10-2016 at 3:47pm
Some progress this week. I got the engine torn down. It wasn't in as good of shape as I expected. It had some wear on the cam and a couple of lifters. Complete rebuild is on the way. My mechanic said a "tow cam" is a common upgrade in the 351W motor. He said it had a little more torque and a good idle. I said I would look into that. It also looked like the engine was running pretty rich, so I may lean out the holley carb a little. New rings, hone, oil pump, etc. That should turn out nice.

I got a few skins back from the interior shop. They look very nice, and you can see the color scheme I am going with.

The boat is heading to the paint shop next week. At the rate this thing is going I may have to find another winter project or buy a heavier wetsuit!

The tranny is leaking a little oil around the case. I never saw that before and i am wondering why. When I pulled the engine I noticed that the alignment was pretty off. It has been a few years since I checked it, and that may have been why my packing didnt last long. I know the alignment is very important for the tranny health, so hopefully I dont have any issues. The tranny has always run very smooth, and I change the fluid every year or two.

Next up is to look into the tranny, and I am planning to clean the carpet and bilge.

ernest

MechGaT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MechGaT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-11-2016 at 2:11am
Looking good! Keep it up.
'92 Sport Nautique
KRoundy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KRoundy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-11-2016 at 7:47pm
"Paint shop"? Please explain. Are you having someone spray new gelcoat?

Kevin
emccallum View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote emccallum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-11-2016 at 8:03pm
I am just changing the color of the two hull stripes to match the new interior.

I picked up the motor today and I am going to put it back together this weekend. I also dropped off my tranny to a guy in Chapin, SC. He used to work for PCM and has rebuilt a lot of them. He is going to go through it and put in new seals. If anyone needs his contact info please PM me. It is probably overkill to open up the tranny as it was running fine, but I want to try and cover all my bases while it is apart.
KRoundy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KRoundy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-15-2016 at 2:15pm
You're going to have a brand-new boat next spring! Nice work, keep it up.
emccallum View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote emccallum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-15-2016 at 3:34pm
Thanks, I hope so. Last spring I had the pleasure of skiing behind a SN200. Pretty much skied a personal best. I loved the way it pulled. I told myself, I have to get one of these. Then I got sticker shock. Just over 50K for one that is three years old! I was really expecting 25-35K. With two kids in college, high property tax in SC, depreciation, etc I just couldn't justify it. Plus, when I ski a course I never use my boat anyway. My boat is used at the lake on the weekends. So, I decided to create my own "new" boat and save about 45K! These old SN are built tough and I dont see much downside to putting some money into the boat. It has perfect pass, an excellent slalom wake, and will not rot. Dont get me wrong, I still want a new one but this should keep me sane for a few more years.

Motor picture with most of the accessories back on. Note my $170 crankshaft pulley! My old pulley was bent and this seems to be the only replacement for the three bolt design. My carb had a blown power valve. I have new blue plug wires to add some bling.

emccallum View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote emccallum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-21-2016 at 12:00am
I got some feedback from the wife for heating up the rubrail in her tub. Installing the rubrail is a two person job. Three would be great. I filled all the existing holes with 5200. Started at the bow and worked my way back. I used a heat gun to help when it needed to bend.
Some tips:
One person to hold the rail, one to drill and the third to screw.
Above the rail, I marked all the hull screws with a pencil, along with where the previous holes were located, l This helped me to know where and how many factory holes were in place. Also, so I didn't drill into the hull screws.
Use new screws, with a good fitting bit. I reused a bunch of screws but several of them broke or stripped.

I haven't finished all the screws, so I will post up a finished picture next week when I get some more screws. It is looking good. I am glad I replaced the rubrail.

emccallum View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote emccallum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-10-2016 at 8:49pm
Update.
Motor and tranny are back together, and installed in the boat. I figured it would be a great time to do the alignment, Well, after a couple of hours of playing with it, I am still not happy. I think I may have an issue with the strut. I need to check how it is going through the log, as it seems to be too far port side. I ran out of engine movement port /starboard, so something is wrong. Time to take a break, regroup and search CCF.
Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-11-2016 at 9:29am
Kudo's to the Mrs. for letting you use her tub for boat repair. Don't take it too far and clean the carb in the kitchen sink...they tend to get a little irate when you do that Looking good man...keep the pics and updates coming.

Site sponsor Delta Props can straighten the strut if its bent. They did one for my 88' last summer. Bent it years ago and bought a new one at the time...Hung on to it just it case it could be fixed. Came back good as new so now I have a spare.
"Morfoot; He can ski. He can wakeboard.He can cook chicken.He can create his own self-named beverage, & can also apparently fly. A man of many talents."72 Mustang "Kermit",88 SN Miss Scarlett, 99 SN "Sherman"
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-11-2016 at 9:39am
Ernest,
Alignment should always start at the strut making sure the shaft is close to center in the log and the shaft turns freely in the cutlass bearing. Then, move forward to the engine. Do you know how the alignment before the engine was pulled? Was the strut ever removed and if so, were there any shims between its base and the hull? Do you have any pictures you can post?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
emccallum View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote emccallum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-11-2016 at 10:44am
Pete/Mortfoot,
Thanks for the posts. I cant recall if I have ever had the strut off of this boat. I do know I have hit the bottom a couple of times in the past. I agree, I need to start at the strut and work towards the coupling. I watched a video last night (maybe Pete?) that was a good refresher course. Lots of good information.

When I removed the motor, the coupling was stressed to one side. Not good. I will get some pictures when I get time to look at it again. I am thinking a couple of washers under the port side would rotate it into place. So, long as it is straight. I think it is straight, because My "tight" spot is always on the starboard side.

baitkiller View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote baitkiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-11-2016 at 11:43am
Its probably bent. These things are pretty soft. If you wind up removing it the strut can easily be checked with a carpenters square.
Jesus was a bare-footer.............
emccallum View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote emccallum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-11-2016 at 11:48am
Strut is coming off and getting checked out. It is December, and I have plenty of time to do it right.
As my late grandfather used to tell me when I was a kid; "if you dont have time to do it right, when are you going to have time to do it again?" .
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   123>
  Share Topic