Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

8 volt battery in 6 volt boat

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
GMacLaren View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GMacLaren Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 8 volt battery in 6 volt boat
    Posted: October-28-2016 at 12:12am

I've noticed some antique boat owners use 8 volt batteries on their boats -- boats originally designed to use 6 volt systems. They claim better starting, etc. I find many sources of 8 volt chargers and/or tenders -- used by owners of old tractors, car and boats using (original) 8 volt systems. But the antique boats I'm noticing used 6 volt systems originally.
Can anyone describe how an old " 6 volt" boat can be set up (modified?) to run an 8 volt battery. (One owner told me he's always run an 8 volt battery in his 1947 Chris Craft, but he had no idea how it was maintained by the generator, etc.)
-=Grant=-

-=Grant MacLaren=-
Retired Expert
http://www.grantmaclaren.com/72skier
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-28-2016 at 12:53am
Grant,
Anyone using a 8 volt on a 6 volt system has problems. The 8 volt crutch is only used by back yard hacks and it doesn't work.

Even with the 3rd poll regulator advanced all the way on a 6 volt generator to try and get more volts out of it, it will only produce about 8 volts so it will not fully charge a 8 volt battery!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
GMacLaren View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GMacLaren Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-28-2016 at 10:52am
Some of those back yard hacks must be wealthy:
-=Grant MacLaren=-
Retired Expert
81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-28-2016 at 10:55am
So are they using 8 volts to try to get a little faster crank? 6 volt systems tend to turn over pretty slowly don't they?
GMacLaren View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GMacLaren Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-28-2016 at 11:03am
Originally posted by 81nautique 81nautique wrote:

So are they using 8 volts to try to get a little faster crank? 6 volt systems tend to turn over pretty slowly don't they?

Yes, faster cranking. (I've seen it on Model "A" Fords also.)
I've always thought it better to make the 6-volt system right -- rather than use an 8 volt battery. But my question is -- is there some way these folks can keep the battery charged properly in their boats?
-=Grant MacLaren=-
Retired Expert
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-28-2016 at 11:52am
Originally posted by 81nautique 81nautique wrote:

Alan,
Yes, the idea is to crank the engine faster but, it only works for a short time. Since the generator doesn't put out the proper charging volts for the 8 volt battery, the voltage of the battery will drop and then cranking speed is almost back to what it was with a 6 volt battery. A properly tuned engine with good cables (00) and a good battery will have no starting problems. As mentioned, the 8 volt is a short term "crutch".

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-28-2016 at 12:16pm
Basically have to charge it to 8 at home. Not a problem for the trailer queens!
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-28-2016 at 1:11pm
Or you could buy a 8 volt alternator to go with that 8 volt battery or to keep Pete from having a non originality stroke you could buy a 8 volt gener-nator . See link below

gener-nator
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-28-2016 at 1:40pm
Originally posted by KENO KENO wrote:

Or you could buy a 8 volt alternator to go with that 8 volt battery or to keep Pete from having a non originality stroke you could buy a 8 volt gener-nator . See link below

gener-nator

Or simply convert to 12 volts!! Then you don't have to pay the outrageous cost of both the 8 volt battery and a 8 volt generator!! Might as well go with a 1 wire alternator to really go from original! All you then need are the light bulbs! Gauges are fine since they are dual coil averaging so the volt difference is minimal. The starter motor will really crank that engine over for those back yarders that can't tune up an engine!!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-28-2016 at 4:20pm
Ok, who are you, and what have you done with Pete?
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-28-2016 at 5:20pm
Pete likes to crank it smooth and slow and others like it hard and fast. Different strokes for different folks.
GMacLaren View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GMacLaren Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-29-2016 at 1:16pm

I found this to be of interest:
LINK
The next time I see an old boat running an 8 volt battery, I'll investigate a bit more thoroughly.
And, if you want to see a "6 volt system" in operation, take a look at SOUPER

-=Grant MacLaren=-
Retired Expert
GlassSeeker View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GlassSeeker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-29-2016 at 2:41pm
This thread reminds me of the Great Chris Farley Fat guy in a little coat
This is the life
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic