NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Heater shirts

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Heater shirts
    Posted: October-19-2016 at 4:43pm
I am thinking about getting a heater shirt for that period in between warm enough season and dry suit season. Do you necessarily want neoprene (like 0.5 mm) or is polyester/spandex just as effective? Seems to be a 2 - 3 fold price difference. I guess you get what you pay for, right?
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-19-2016 at 5:14pm
.5 mm certainly on the thin end of the spectrum. Thicker the warmer, I aim for 2mm. Neoprene is fine, as are the fleece lined shirts (fleece is napped polyester.)

Heater shirt was one of the first investments I made in comfort and I can't imagine not having one (actually several.) It's easy to over pay for a heater shirt. Use eBay. There are plenty available for specified use in surfing, waterskiing, kayaking, etc.
AAM196 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AAM196 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-19-2016 at 5:57pm
I use a .5 neoprene shirt under vest or sleveless BF suit. I like it; helps with cooler air temps. It is not a substitute for a full body wet suit!

I find myself using it more in the fall than early spring when the water is warmer than air.

http://www.h2oproshop.com/barefoot-international-neoprene-heater-shirt.html
mmasariu View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mmasariu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-19-2016 at 9:21pm
I like the eagle heater shirts, I also have an o'neill, they are a great investment.
Matt Masariu
Speedway, Indiana
1987 Dominique
mmasariu View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mmasariu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-19-2016 at 9:23pm
I guess the answer to your question is definitely neoprene .5 or 1mm.
Matt Masariu
Speedway, Indiana
1987 Dominique
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-19-2016 at 11:53pm
0.5mm sounds more like a rash guard than a heater shirt. 2/3mm would be closer to normal. Oneill and jet pilot both make nice shirts. A long wetsuit (under a bf suit) is a good transition between heater shirt and dry suit weather.
NCH20SKIER View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NCH20SKIER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-20-2016 at 1:46pm
I have the BI version of the heater shirt and a Jet Pilot (as you know). I prefer the BI over the Jet Pilot for warmth. Looks like the footers edge will welcome you with a discount on the BI shirt at 70.00

Footers Edge Heater Shirt

Also, Chuck at Lake Elmo is always a good source to check out
'05 206 Limited
'88 BFN
NCH20SKIER View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NCH20SKIER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-20-2016 at 1:47pm
http://www.thefootersedge.com/equipment/barefoot_heater_shirt.html
'05 206 Limited
'88 BFN
GlassSeeker View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GlassSeeker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-20-2016 at 3:09pm
There's also all the surf companies...billabong...etc they make assorted tops that are usually more stylish. Hollywoods' right...you need a few.
This is the life
*mtrbtr* View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote *mtrbtr* Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-20-2016 at 4:26pm
TRbeng is right. There is a heater shirt and the second thing you are talking about is a rash guard. Rash guards are meant to keep you cooler not warmer usually. They are for keeping sun off and not getting a rash from your surf board when you paddle out into the ocean.   

I actually prefer a heater shirt to a shorty wet suit.
2006 SV 211 (sold) went to the dark side
97 Sport Nautique (sold)
89 PS 190 (sold)
05 Four Winns H180 (sold)
89 Four Winns 180 Freedom (sold)
75 MFG (sold)
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-20-2016 at 4:35pm
BI's 0.5mm shirt they consider a heater. It's better than nothing but there are far warmer products out there, and for less money.

Rash guards and UV shirts do make you colder, definitely don't do that
DVskier View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DVskier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-20-2016 at 4:49pm
I use a Camaro top that I bought from sierratradingpost.com for $60 including shipping. It fits quite snug and you have to be very careful putting on/takes ng off but it allows a great deal of flexibility and no water comes in. I have 2 dry suits I'll probably never wear again.
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-20-2016 at 6:02pm
Originally posted by Hollywood Hollywood wrote:

BI's 0.5mm shirt they consider a heater. It's better than nothing but there are far warmer products out there, and for less money.

Any recommendations. I know you said try ebay, but not seeing much. Seems like all the neoprene is all $70 - 85 and most of those I've seen are just the 0.5.

You know me, I'm cheap, so Im also just browsing for long sleeve wet suit (separates) that I could wear under my BF suit. Seem to see those for $25 - 40 all the time. And they are definitely thicker.
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-20-2016 at 6:25pm
Yeah, you won't have a hard time finding a nice, used long wetsuit for under $50 on eBay any day of the week. Heater shirts are there just not as often.

Jet Pilot is closing out their old designs on their own site
They have a F22 Apex (2mm) in r/w/b size L for $45 new
http://store.jetpilot.com/product/?catID=32&prodID=572

I don't see you jumping on this "deal" but if you do, surely a dozen will pop up on eBay for $20. I already started looking on there for you yesterday.
gun-driver View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-21-2016 at 6:28pm
Get all my family's wetsuits here
https://www.wetsuitwearhouse.com
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-28-2016 at 6:37pm
Larry you get a shirt yet? Just buy a long 3:2 and overdress for now. You'll be able to snag a shirt over winter and be ready for spring. I haven't seen anything for you yet.
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-28-2016 at 6:47pm
I haven't, but only because I haven't gotten around to it. I plan on picking up that Jet pilot R-W-B. one. Also watching ebay for a full suit, Pretty good selection right now for less than that shirt to fill in those few weeks between heater shirt and dry suit.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic