Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

1980 SN drivetrain noise

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
deadsexyii View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deadsexyii Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1980 SN drivetrain noise
    Posted: October-17-2016 at 3:37pm
First off, great forum you guys have here. It's clear there's some knowledgeable folks on the site. I've got a new-to-me 1980 SN, 351 PCM. When going straight, drivetrain is silent. However, when turning either port or starboard, there is a significant noise. It is not a squeal like metal grinding on metal. It is a groan like the drivetrain is straining. The harder/tighter I turn, the louder the groan. I do not feel any vibration from the drivers seat but I also haven't ridden in the back.

I am certainly not new to boating but this is my first inboard so I am not sure if this is normal operation or whether I need to be concerned. My first guess is strut bearing but again not sure if this is normal. Previous owner (my uncle) says strut bearing has been replaced but he doesn't remember when. Appreciate the thoughts! Thanks guys.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-17-2016 at 3:49pm
Matt,
It could be normal. When turning, every boat I've driven makes noises. It sounds like prop cavitation caused by hull harmonics

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-17-2016 at 10:49pm
The noise could be normal, but hard to tell what the intensity is by a text description.

If you haven't already, I would check alignment (should be within .003 ") of the prop shaft to tranny,
Also check the strut bearing (shouldn't be any discernable play).

Another possibility is weakened stringers. If weak from wood rot, they could be allowing the engine to move during a turn.   

You can check their health by tapping with a hammer, should have a solid sound.   Also check lag bolts to see if they are holding torque.

“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-17-2016 at 11:07pm
That engine isn't moving, '80 has a cradle.
ultrahots View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ultrahots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-18-2016 at 1:14am
Tim is correct on the cradle vs stringer issue. My 80 makes a Squeal type noise with harder turns in either direction and shaft is perfect.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-18-2016 at 6:46am
Originally posted by SNobsessed SNobsessed wrote:

weakened stringers. If weak from wood rot, they could be allowing the engine to move during a turn.   

Tim and Terry,
You missed the point Chris was trying to make regarding engine movement. So what it has a cradle. What makes you think the cradle couldn't move?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
roy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-18-2016 at 5:53pm
Hello all,
I have also a late 1980 hull,maybe it is finished in 81. With a 351 ford commander. Can anyone tell me what a cradle is? And the function of it?

Greetings roy from the Netherlands
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-18-2016 at 6:01pm
It's the aluminum channel the engine and transmission are bolted to. It spans the floor in front of the engine and also supports the ski pylon.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic