NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Double Taper Shaft

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
Author
Duane in Indy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duane in Indy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Double Taper Shaft
    Posted: October-13-2016 at 7:59am
Just finished machining my single taper prop shaft into a double taper shaft. I ordered a new coupling and machined my old shaft to accept the new coupling. Worked great. below are some of the pics along the way.
This pic shows indicating the taper on the prop end so as to set up the lathe to the proper angle so I can duplicate it to the straight end of the shaft. Came out close to 2 degree included angle.

Started turning the end for the thread and taper. Insert cutter did not like the interrupted cut of the old key way.

Now I am "single point" threading the shaft to accept the nut. Opted for a 3/4-16 fine thread for this end. Ordered new brass nut to fit it. You can see the dull finish on the taper where I had started lapping it to fit the coupling.

Moved over to the mill to cut the 1/4" key way in. New brass key to be used.

Very little lapping was involved and was able to power lap it in the lathe and was a very quick operation. Looks like a good way to save $$ over the price of a new double taper shaft. The coupling blued in nicely. Showed about .001 total run out on the face when assembled, which a quick finish cut took care of. Hate that blue goop, it gets every where.
Keep it as original as YOU want it
        1978 Mustang (modified)
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duane in Indy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-13-2016 at 8:24am
I don't see how that the single taper coupling could be pressed off of the shaft while still in the boat. Mine took 15 tons of power in my hydraulic press to push it off. With out heat I think it would be a lot of effort.
        1978 Mustang (modified)
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-13-2016 at 8:33am
Duane,
Nice work!    Now all I need to add to my shop is some equipment to cut metal instead of wood! I wonder what my local machine shop would charge. How long total did you put into making the double taper?

BTW, I don't feel the Prussian blue is as bad as Never Seize!   

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
halfnelly View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote halfnelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-13-2016 at 9:08am
Originally posted by Duane in Indy Duane in Indy wrote:

I don't see how that the single taper coupling could be pressed off of the shaft while still in the boat. Mine took 15 tons of power in my hydraulic press to push it off. With out heat I think it would be a lot of effort.

Been there, done that. Just need a deep socket to put between the output flange and the shaft, a few pieces of threaded rod, nuts and washers. Just keep tightening and rotating, it'll eventually pull it off.

Putting it back on is even more fun! I heated my coupling up in my gas grill and put the shaft in the freezer, and then quickly reinstalled while holding it with my welding gloves.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-13-2016 at 9:18am

Duane,
Yes, I know you were surprised by the tonnage but the deep socket and threaded rod trick has worked for may years. It would be interesting to find out just how much force can be created with the 4 threaded rods. I always use 3/8 fine thread grade 8 rod and plenty of Never Seize. Yup, another mess!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-13-2016 at 9:55am
Looks great Duane

Did the new coupling come with the removal tool for removing it from the tapered shaft or did you have to make one of those too?
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duane in Indy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-13-2016 at 10:18am
Originally posted by KENO KENO wrote:

Looks great Duane
Did the new coupling come with the removal tool for removing it from the tapered shaft or did you have to make one of those too?

All I got was the coupling. I will probably make a plate with 4 holes and a stud in the middle to extract the tapered coupling from the shaft. Don't need it yet.
        1978 Mustang (modified)
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duane in Indy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-13-2016 at 10:30am
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Duane,Nice work!      I wonder what my local machine shop would charge. How long total did you put into making the double taper?

Pete, most of the time was spent getting tooling setup and figuring out exactly how to do the different operations. It is still quite a job but the first one is always the worst. It is nice to know that we can turn a single taper shaft into a double taper. I feel confident that I could do some at around $100 and be worth the effort. Being retired, my shop does not have to make "shop rate" anymore.
Time a guy buys the coupling for $65 and does shaft postage both ways, he could still be under 1/2 price of a new one.
The Devils brew would have to be 1/2 Never Seize and 1/2 Prussian Blue!!!
Thanks for compliment
        1978 Mustang (modified)
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-13-2016 at 10:35am
I don't know what brand of coupling you have but the ARE couplings have an internal thread and they sell a plug that threads in to push the shaft off the coupling.

They charged me an extra 20 bucks for it and amazingly I haven't lost or misplaced it yet

It works good, probably no better than the plate setup, but fits in tight clearance spots better and I know you have the capability of duplicating that setup too

Just thought I'd mention it They call it a separator in the link below

Elbert's link
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-13-2016 at 10:42am

I don't know what brand of coupling you have but the ARE couplings have an internal thread and they sell a plug that threads in to push the shaft off the coupling.

They charged me an extra 20 bucks for it and amazingly I haven't lost or misplaced it yet

It works good, probably no better than the plate setup, but fits in tight clearance spots better and I know you have the capability of duplicating that setup too

Just thought I'd mention it They call it a separator in the link below

Elbert's link

I like Duane's idea with the plate for removing the shaft. You don't need much travel to pop the taper so I don't think there would be a clearance problem.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duane in Indy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-13-2016 at 10:55am

I don't know what brand of coupling you have but the ARE couplings have an internal thread and they sell a plug that threads in to push the shaft off thecoupling.They charged me an extra 20 bucks for it and amazingly I haven't lost or misplaced it yet It works good, probably no better than the plate setup, but fits in tight clearance spots better and I know you have the capability of duplicating that setup too Just thought I'd mention it They call it a separator in the link below
Elbert's link

Mine is not an A.R.E.   It does not have the internal thread nor the set screw to retain the nut. But I will drill and tap for the set screw. Will have to go thru receipts to see where I ordered it from.
And again, thanks for the compliments from you.
        1978 Mustang (modified)
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-13-2016 at 10:57am
Originally posted by halfnelly halfnelly wrote:

Been there, done that. Just need a deep socket to put between the output flange and the shaft, a few pieces of threaded rod, nuts and washers. Just keep tightening and rotating, it'll eventually pull it off.

Putting it back on is even more fun! I heated my coupling up in my gas grill and put the shaft in the freezer, and then quickly reinstalled while holding it with my welding gloves.

You must have got lucky! most times than not one or both flanges warp and then is impossible to dial in a good alignment without refacing them, if they are not too far gone.
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-13-2016 at 11:03am

Mine is not an A.R.E.   It does not have the internal thread nor the set screw to retain the nut.   

Duane,
After you mentioned this, I took a closer look at the taper you cut. It's certainly longer than ARE's which may create a problem on some boats. Some like the Cuda I did last do not have much shaft length between the gland and trans and the reason the ARE coupling is so short.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-13-2016 at 11:04am
Pete

Like I said the plate will work just fine, but since he's having fun with his equipment I thought I'd mention the Elbert's jacking tool.

Shouldn't you be out figgerin' out how much force can be applied with 4 3/8 fine threaded Grade 8 jacking bolts?

Easily enough to bend the flanges like Gotta Ski said
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duane in Indy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-13-2016 at 11:29am

Mine is not an A.R.E.   It does not have the internal thread nor the set screw to retain the nut.   

Duane,
After you mentioned this, I took a closer look at the taper you cut. It's certainly longer than ARE's which may create a problem on some boats. Some like the Cuda I did last do not have much shaft length between the gland and trans and the reason the ARE coupling is so short.

The coupling that I ordered was the same taper as the prop taper. That is why I indicated that taper in as close as I could. Seems strange that they would offer a shaft with two different tapers. If that is so, then the company that I got mine from would also have to manufacture and sell you their own shaft. Do some research and let me know. That is interesting.
        1978 Mustang (modified)
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-13-2016 at 11:51am
The ARE/Elberts shaft has a shorter than standard taper with some extra features for them to be able to pop it off with their tool. If you want to play I could send you an ARE coupler or two. General Propeller and others sell a double taper shaft that is not the proprietary ARE system and has the same taper (but slightly shorter) than the prop side. I have all the dimensions around for that system somewhere. I went with the general propeller setup on my 83 this time out after breaking a few custom made higher strength are ones on the coupling side where the steep taper and deep woodruff key lead to not a lot of shaft strength...
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duane in Indy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-13-2016 at 11:57am

I may have misunderstood you Pete. Could be the same taper, just shorter. I cut mine so as to maintain the same length between couplers as stock setup. That makes more sense.
        1978 Mustang (modified)
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duane in Indy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-13-2016 at 12:00pm
Originally posted by JoeinNY JoeinNY wrote:

The ARE/Elberts shaft has a shorter than standard taper with some extra features for them to be able to pop it off with their tool. If you want to play I could send you an ARE coupler or two. General Propeller and others sell a double taper shaft that is not the proprietary ARE system and has the same taper (but slightly shorter) than the prop side. I have all the dimensions around for that system somewhere. I went with the general propeller setup on my 83 this time out after breaking a few custom made higher strength are ones on the coupling side where the steep taper and deep woodruff key lead to not a lot of shaft strength...

Thanks for the offer Joe. May take you up on that later. I opted for the standard square key for that very reason, less depth and more shaft strength. Duane
        1978 Mustang (modified)
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-13-2016 at 12:04pm
Duane, you're hired! This is perfect timing.

I also have what is likely a General Propeller taper coupler and an ARE in the garage. I'd be happy to let you play with them.

The GP is currently on a 54" shaft
The ARE is on a [dinged up] 41" shaft

Also have factory couplers on another 54" and 41" shafts. Let's see what can be salvaged?

Zach might be coming up here in a week I'll bundle all the shafts for him to take back to Indy.
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-13-2016 at 12:11pm
Hi Duane

Like Joe said, the ARE is shorter with a steeper taper to it.

I have a coupler hanging around from a late 80's Supra that came with a double tapered shaft as original equipment.

I can dig that up and send it to you if you want to do some measuring. I would never need to see it again either. It might have the stub of the original shaft stil in it too.

I think the Supra stuff from back then came from Croix Machine and Gear in Hudson WI. They have a website.

Looks like me and Joe can supply you with some spare parts if you want 'em.

Look what I started with a simple comment about a puller for the coupling.

Bet your setup works just fine.
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-13-2016 at 7:03pm
Hi Duane

Found my Supra coupling and the stub end of the shaft I saved.

The coupling itself is 2 1/2 inches long.

The shaft which I have included a picture of has a tapered area 1.4 inches long and the taper goes from 1 inch down to 0.945 inch at the end of the taper. It was a little tough to measure at the small end at least for me.

This is bringing back memories of a certain distributor or 2 that you made work for people
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duane in Indy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-13-2016 at 8:06pm
KENO, Your shaft appears to use a steel key. I just ordered 24 inches of brass key stock. That is my plan anyway.
Actually three distributors out there now, (mine makes three).

Also have a supply of 3/4-10 brass nuts that need to have the slots cut in them for the cotter keys. Both 1 1/8" and larger hex 1 1/4".   Also 3/4-10 nyloc brass nuts in stock also
Been busy in the shop lately. Have to go to California for a drag race next week.. Last one of the season. Then back on my boat, hopefully.
        1978 Mustang (modified)
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-13-2016 at 9:01pm
Is brass strong enough for a key? Maybe it would be a good shear fuse in case of a prop hit.    Or could it would let go early?
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-13-2016 at 9:28pm
Prop key is brass...
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duane in Indy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-13-2016 at 9:34pm
Originally posted by SNobsessed SNobsessed wrote:

Is brass strong enough for a key? Maybe it would be a good shear fuse in case of a prop hit.    Or could it would let go early?

It is about a 1 1/2" long 1/4" square key, not a half moon woodruff style. As tight as the taper fit is and the lock nut on it, I would almost guess it would run with out any key Not going to try, just saying the key is probably not doing much. A.R.E. uses a woodruff key but I elected to go with the square style. Same type that is on the prop end. The press on couplers use a square key also. If it is an issue then I can use steel.

edit Tim, you beat me too it. I type slower.
        1978 Mustang (modified)
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-14-2016 at 12:46am

Chris,
You are forgetting that the taper transmits the majority of the torque. You need to read the "proper prop" thread again!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-14-2016 at 4:24am
Nice Machine work on your shaft. Great tools make some really cool stuff.
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-14-2016 at 9:41am
Originally posted by MrMcD MrMcD wrote:

Nice Machine work on your shaft. Great tools make some really cool stuff.

I think this should say"Great tools and people who know how to use them make some really cool stuff"

Myself, I could have turned that shaft into scrap in no time at all with the same equipment
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-14-2016 at 9:49am

Chris,
You are forgetting that the taper transmits the majority of the torque. You need to read the "proper prop" thread again!

Chris,
For us old guys who have a hard time remembering, here's some content out of the "proper prop" thread:

Keep in mind that our props are held on by a close fitting taper. According to one of the prop manufacturers, 70% of the torque is said to be transmitted through this fit and the rest is the key/keyway. I personally feel it's 100% because the taper fit shouldn't slip at all. I've seen some pretty sloppy keys with 0 evidence that any force has been applied to them.

Originally posted by eric lavine eric lavine wrote:

too add on such a great topic on how important tapers are, on larger transmissions the "BullGear" which usually are the output gears and weigh about 400 lbs do not use a key, it is simply a keyless taper and you advance the gear on the shaft and the fit relies on the close tolerances of the 2 tapers, the transmission will use an 8" shaft, so you can imagine the torque going through the taper's and they dont spin on the shaft, as Pete states the tapers need to be free of blemishes and the more contact the better of the surfaces

Keep in mind that a taper is the only thing that holds a drill chuck in a drill press spindle!! Also, take note of Eric's comment that many trans components are held together with tapers only. No nuts!!! Think about why a puller is needed to get a prop off!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-14-2016 at 2:12pm
Well Pete

For today's let say "stupid experiment" I decided to take the key out of the propshaft on "old faithful" and see what happened .(It's a 240 hp 351)

Pulled the prop, took the key and stuck it in my pocket and stuck the prop back on, carefully applying about 3 grunts worth of torque, maybe 3 1/2.

The closest it came to being lapped was the minute or so it was in my lap sitting under the boat. More of a "lap dance"

Headed for the launch ramp with my trusty paddle close by just in case, (and I could always phone home for a tow)

Went upriver in case of problems and it was no problem at all running without the key

I hammered the snot out of it and it never slipped.

I figured I wasn't being very nice to it at all.

I came back pulled the prop and put the key back in figuring there's a little extra assurance that there won't be any slippage if the torque job isn't quite right.

It's basically the same way a typical snowmobile primary clutch is held on the shaft with a taper and proper torque.

Nobody needs to come along and tell me a snowmobile and boat are different or that they operate under different conditions either I realize that.

That was today's little bit of fun
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
  Share Topic