NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Floor/stringer repair: how far?

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <123
Author
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-18-2006 at 3:07pm
Mark, I am certainly no expert, but judging from my stringer install I'd say those numbers are correct. The mat added a lot more thickness than the cloth, which was very thin. With the 3 layers on the stringer (mat/cloth/mat), Id say total thickness was ~1/16".

Scaling that up to 7 or 9 layers would put me somewhere around 1/8"-3/16" thickness, which is what I want.

Too bad you had to ski all day saturday. This fiberglass work is much more fun! Id love to see pics of your project if you have any, btw.
marks View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote marks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-18-2006 at 4:01pm
Tim,

I've been taking pictures, but I'm old school and still use a film camera. When I get them developed, I will post a few of them. I need to figure out how to do the photobucket thing.

As far as skiing verses fiberglass work, I guess my priorities were a little messed up. The 95+ degree weather would have been perfect for curing epoxy resin.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-18-2006 at 4:24pm
Mark, photobucket is very easy. Once theyre scanned in, you just upload the images. The 95 degree weather we're having is plenty warm for curing resin, but Im not sure the excessive humidity helps. Either way it was perfect weather to be working on the boat rather than at the lake! Where are you located?
marks View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote marks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-18-2006 at 5:08pm
I'm in Champaign Illinois, about 100 miles south of Chicago. There are not a lot of lakes around here, so we actually ski in the cooling lake for a nuke.

I was worried about the high temps and humidity we have here during the summer, so when I bought my supplies from US composites, I opted for the slow hardener for the layup work and bought a small amount of the 1:1 stuff for gluing and patching. I haven't used any of the slow stuff yet, but on Sunday in the 95 degree temps the 1:1 epoxy had only 1/2 the pot life indicated at 80 degrees.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-01-2006 at 12:01am
Update: the floor is now done. I had it 95% complete last weekend but ran out of resin. Today I put the last 2 layers of glass on the front wood section and then faired everything out with thickened resin (talc).

Over the stringer, I put down a total of 7 layers. On the front section (under the bow) I put down 5 layers since it wont be a high traffic area (this area was repaired previously with only 1 layer of mat). Over the wood, I put down 3. Seems to be at least as thick as the factory floor and plenty strong. Now that its faired, it should be at least as level as it was- though thats not saying much! Its now ready for carpet- it would be nice if I was sent the 13 yards of carpet that I ordered instead of 11 feet, but this may just give everyone attending the CCFan NE reunion a chance to see my glass work first hand! Pics:

David F View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-01-2006 at 5:07pm
Looks like you did a good job. Isn't it fun to fiberglass? I can see that you have good overlap onto the existing fiberglass, so your repairs should be plenty strong.

It looks like you still need to grind on the edges a bit (otherwise you will cut yourself eventually). Also, it looks my assessment of 6-8 layers and 2.66 gallons of resin was pretty close. Again, great job.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-01-2006 at 11:45pm
Thanks David. I am very tired of this floor project- no more fiberglass please! It came out pretty well and should be plenty strong. I will probably grind the edges on the battery box and motorbox before installing the carpet.

Perhaps there will be another project boat in my future... but I will enjoy being on the water for the time being!
marks View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote marks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-02-2006 at 2:13pm
Looks good. How much resin and how many yards of fiberglass did you end up using?
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-02-2006 at 2:46pm
In total I used 3.5 gallons of resin (plus the associated amount of hardener). I went through about 6 yards of mat, and 4-5 yards of cloth. This includes the stringer repair as well as the floor.

You done with your floor yet Mark?
M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-02-2006 at 7:32pm
Did you get the windshield back together?
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-02-2006 at 8:00pm
Originally posted by M3Fan M3Fan wrote:

Did you get the windshield back together?

Funny you should ask! My dad and I just finished wrestling it back together. Not a fun job- the powdercoating adds some thickness to the metal so all the tolerances are much tighter. Of course, struggling with it in 100 degree heat makes it that much more enjoyable!

Ill post some pics once I get it cleaned up.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-02-2006 at 10:08pm
I took a few pics but they all came out crappy. Ill snap some more tomorrow in natural light. Proof that its actually together:

I hope it still feels as fast as it did without a windshield!
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-02-2006 at 10:30pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

Of course, struggling with it in 100 degree heat makes it that much more enjoyable!

Which is why I was expecting to see beer cans scattered all over the garage...
marks View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote marks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-03-2006 at 12:28am
Tim,

I am still not done yet. This whole process sure has taken more time than I originally thought. Of course, at first I though I was fixing about 2 square feet of area.

I have all of the foam in and plan to start laying fiberglass on Friday. I have plenty of mat and cloth, but I am worried that I am going to run short of resin. I only have 3 gallons, but based on your pics, I think I am replacing a little more floor area. I think I will order another gallon just to be safe.

That's a bummer about the carpet. I have read a number of posts where someone has ordered yards of carpet, but received only a few feet. I bet you will be glad to get your boat back in the water. You have done a great job. I have been following the thread on your motor upgrade and I am looking forward to hearing how it performs.
M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-03-2006 at 12:38am
You moved the spare to the side of the trailer- smart move. That thing drove me NUTS in the old spot. Such a simple fix.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-03-2006 at 8:27am
Mark, I also expected all of my work to be done in a week- 5 weeks later, here I am. Laying down the glass on the floor took the most time due to all the layers and having to measure and cut so many pieces. I busted most of it out in 14 hrs though.

Joel, I like the spare there too. My real motivation to move it was to gain access to the ring welded on the trailer to attach the turnbuckle. I wanted something holding the front of the boat down, rather than just forward- its solid as a rock now.

Hollywood, its all about product placement. Im expecting my sponsorship from A/B to come through any day now.

TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-03-2006 at 12:03pm
A little better shot of the powdercoated windshield:

Friday View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Friday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-22-2006 at 10:19pm
I'm planning on using this same process on my 83', looks like you did a great job. I'm putting together a web page to post all the pics of the project. I have a couple of questions. Its been awhile since it looks like you've completed the project, how are the floors holding up? Would you recommend the same process for others, if not what would you do differently? Thanks for the help!!
Friday View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Friday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-22-2006 at 11:49pm
Sorry, I'm trying to decide between using the fibergla$$ over foam technique or replacing the whole floor with plywood. Thanks
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-23-2006 at 1:34am
Friday, it has only been a few months since I completed my floor, so I cant tell you you how well it will hold up. It appears to be at least as strong as the original floor, though- it is very hard and about the same thickness. The foam I poured is also more dense than it was from the factory- I dont doubt it was originally 2 lb density.

If I were to go it again, I dont know if I would use the 5200 on the bulkhead. Otherwise, I think my approach was very well thought out.

If you plan on replacing the entire floor, I would do it with plywood over light density foam (2 lb). If you only have a spot repair or a single stringer to replace, its worth considering my method. Its no small task to put down 7 layers of fibergla$$- its time intensive and a rather unpleasant project. I certainly dont doubt its strength though.
Friday View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Friday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-23-2006 at 10:16am
Thanks for the reply, I only have a small 1.5' x 3' area so I'm going to try your method. I'll post and let you know how it turns out.
duckfamily View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote duckfamily Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-27-2006 at 8:43pm
I need help. I have pulled everything out of my 77 Ski Nautique. I have drilled into the stringers in several areas and have yet to find good wood. I do not have the time or expertize to redo the floor. I am in North Dakota but willing to travel. Please let me know.
ducky@gondtc.com. Thanks.
Correct Craft owner for 13 years.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <123
  Share Topic