NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Floor/stringer repair: how far?

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <123>
Author
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-17-2006 at 1:57pm
not sure if I would have used the 5200 to glue that piece in, the resin isn't going to bond to the 5200 so now you have created a pocket that is flexable and over time it will crack the resin covering it then you'll have a path for the water to rot out the wood you installed, You should have left out the 5200 roughed up the old fiberglass to get a good bond then glassed it in like you did.
Other than that it looks pretty good.

One otherthing I hope you are going to put some wood over that foam before you glass over it. Otherwise you wont have a good anchor point for the seats and over a very short period of time the floor will get soft unless you are going to add 3/4" of fiberglass over it.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-17-2006 at 2:13pm
I wasnt aware the 5200 wouldnt bond to the resin... thats news to me. Either way, it created a nice fillet to prevent the glass from being attached at 90 degree angles. The glass extends far beyond the sealant on both the bulhead and stringer/bilge side, so I know I have a good strong seal either way.

No wood will be installed over the foam- I am glassing right over it just like it came from the factory. The foam is very dense (8lb density) and will be plenty strong with 1/4" of glass on top- the factory glass is 1/8-1/4" thick. The only seat that is anchored to the floor is the driver's seat. All but 3 or 4 screws attach to the wood in the front. I think I will predrill the mounting holes that dont catch the wood, inject them with resin, and then screw them down. I think that should keep water from getting into the floor.
David F View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-17-2006 at 2:17pm
Yep, I agree with you on this 79N..., but since it is already done, I think the epoxy/fiberglass composite will perform ok even spanning the 5200. The Composite is flexible and strong enough to handle any potential tendency for movement.

TRBenj: Just keep an eye out on this area. If you are up to it, I would grind off the glass work, remove the 5200 and reglass after creating a fillet of thickened epoxy resin.

You can thicken epoxy resin with saw dust, chopped glass, talc powder, micro spheres, etc...should be consistency of peanut butter.

Again, I do not think there is much stress on the bulkhead, so you are probably ok as is.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-17-2006 at 2:18pm
hope so, but I have my doubts, the foam is not a structual member and over a period of time will compress more as it is walked on. Good luck with it hope it last for you.
David F View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-17-2006 at 2:29pm
TRBeng:

I simply use Life Boat Caulk on screws when screwing in the fiberglass only floor. I coat the screw liberally with sealant and install. Personally, I would avoid glueing the screw in with epoxy resin as sure enough, you will need to get it out one day.

79Nautique:

CC has been laying the fiberglass floor directly over the foam for many years...still do it that way. It works fine. However, I have seen impact fatique on several boats. Basically, the floor gets soft where people repeating jump in the boat on the same spot of the floor. Doing quick and dirty math, 8lb foam will support about 285 lbs from a size 12 foot. People that weigh more than 285 usually have an even bigger foot. Like I said quick and dirty, could be way off. But, jumping in the boat on one foot can exceed this weight calculation.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-17-2006 at 2:32pm
Hmmm... I figured the 5200 would be OK since it says it bonds well to fiberglass. Too bad I didnt know this before- I have talc and plenty of resin! I still think its a lot stronger and sealed much better than it was from the factory. There's 2-3 layers of glass holding it and it shouldnt see much stress. Now that the wood is in, its not coming back out.

DavidF, when you use the caulk (Boat Life?), I assume the holes are predrilled?

79, the foam is 8lb density structural foam (the 2nd densest that US Composites sells). US Composites says, "Higher densities are used for architectural castings, support applications and has virtually an unlimited number of potential uses." Its noticeably harder than the foam used from the factory, so I think it will hold up well.   
marks View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote marks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-17-2006 at 2:39pm
Tim,

Looks good. I didn't get nearly as far on mine this weekend as I had planned. I wasted my entire Saturday skiing .

I wouldn't worry about that 8-lb foam compressing. I contacted MWCC and they told me the factory used 2-lb foam.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-18-2006 at 9:00am
If your just going to use glass over the foam you should be using woven instead mat or cloth to give it strength and pay attaintion to the direction of the weave and alternate the direction of the weave.
David F View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-18-2006 at 9:16am
Cloth and woven roving are basically the same thing. Cloth term being used when describing light weight material.

Either is fine, you will just need to more layers when using cloth, but the final thickness is what determines strength, not the weight of individual layers. Definatley use mat between each layer of cloth (or woven roving). The mat adds strength in the direction/planes that the woven is weakest. the mat also helps gaurd against the woven delaminating from each other.

The only caveat I have not mentioned in awhile is that when using epoxy resin, you must use mat designed for epoxy (it is sewn together, not bonded together). Epoxy will not dislove the bonding agent used in regular mat.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-18-2006 at 9:46am
Originally posted by David F David F wrote:

Cloth and woven roving are basically the same thing. Cloth term being used when describing light weight material

They are not the same and cloth will produce a much weaker structure and the mat adds very little strength at all and is more of a filler than anything. The type of fiber used in the woven and the directional layout of the weave pattern as is laid down has more effect on it's overall strength than the thickness does.
David F View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-18-2006 at 10:38am

You are just wrong this time. Woven Roving is a fiberglass cloth. Woven Roving is generally used when describing heavy weight cloth. Here is a typical description (not mine):

"Woven Roving cloth is a collection of specific numbers of untwisted continuous filaments. Fiberglass woven roving is basically a heavier version of fiberglass cloth. Due to higher fiber content, woven roving's lamination has excellent tensile strength and impact-resistant property. As woven roving easily wets out, provides great tensile and flexural strength, it is often used between layers of fiberglass mat in laminates. It can also be used with chopped strand mat to fabricate large size objects, such as boat, vehicle components, pressure tank, house, etc."

Woven Roving will yeild a lighter weight than "cloth" due to less resin being used to wet it out. However, this ligher weight makes it also more flexible...not good for the floor of our boats. CC does not use Woven Roving for the floor construction (they do for the hull) because they want stiffness and less thickness than woven roving can provide. basically the mat/cloth alternating layers will provide greater stiffness and more strength in a 1/8" to 3-16" laminate than can be had with woven roving.

Of course, how can I possibly know what I am talking about...oh wait, I spent 9 months working with the stuff!

TRBenj: Take my advice and stay away from the heavier woven rovings when intalling your floor. And alternate between mat and cloth for the best bending and shear strength.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-18-2006 at 10:58am

"Woven Roving will yeild a lighter weight than "cloth" due to less resin being used to wet it out. However, this ligher weight makes it also more flexible...not good for the floor of our boats. CC does not use Woven Roving for the floor construction (they do for the hull) because they want stiffness and less thickness than woven roving can provide. basically the mat/cloth alternating layers will provide greater stiffness and more strength in a 1/8" to 3-16" laminate

you kinda counterdict your self on your statements above.

Don't see how a 18 or 24oz woven cloth will use less resin than 6 or 8oz cloth, And I don't think that they want a thinner haul either, then again maybe that's why you only did it for nine months.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-18-2006 at 11:06am
CC's site doesn't support your argument either, I would suggest you read their section under craftsmanship and notice they state bi-directional and woven not cloth and make specific reference about how the material is layed down to provide strength.
David F View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-18-2006 at 11:07am
You answered your own question...you do not understand! Nuf said.
Kylecraft View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kylecraft Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-18-2006 at 11:09am
Nice work Tim. That thing will be mint in no time... wanna trade? (when you're done)
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-18-2006 at 11:14am
I understand composites quit well actually and have many designs using composite materials in very advanced rotor designs using kelvar and carbon based materials very simular to what you would find in F1 or Indycar chassis.
David F View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-18-2006 at 11:18am
Ok 79, you will notice that I said CC uses woven roving in the hulls. Yes, it is bi-directional, so is cloth! However, in my '93 SN, woven roving was not used in the floor due to the thin cross section of the floor. You cannot get 1/8 to 3/16 thickness of any real strength by using heavy woven roving. You need a laminated composite system that builds thickness. Thus with thin sections/laminates you need to use light weight materials. What part of this is not making sense? Remember, TRBenj was asking about his floor, NOT his hull.

Oh, and by the way, the hull on my '93 had altenating layers of woven roving and mat. Always starting and finishing with mat (or it could have been chopped via a gun). If you start with cloth of woven roving, the pattern will telegraph through the gelcoat.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-18-2006 at 11:20am

TRBenj: Take my advice and stay away from the heavier woven rovings when intalling your floor. And alternate between mat and cloth for the best bending and shear strength.

DavidF, Ive re-read your email many times and I think I have a decent plan. I am using 1.5 oz Epoxy Mat and 4 oz. E-glass cloth. Ill alternate layers (~7 total), starting and finishing with the mat. I expect it to be thicker than the original floor. Ive ground a taper on the existing floor about 2" wide and will walk the layers up it.

I am certainly no expert, but what DavidF says makes sense. The only Woven Roving that USComposites sells is 18oz and is "used for fast buildup in applications where cost savings are a factor." It would seem that more layers of thinner cloth and mat would provide a stronger support than fewer layers of the woven roving. The tech from US Composites thought I had a good approach.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-18-2006 at 11:27am
the strength is gained in how it is laided down and the directions that the weave is when laid down in relation to each layer, So if the cloth or direction of it is always laid down in the same direction then you are going to have a very weak cross-section and have strength in one direction only, and the type of cloth, fiberglass, kelvar, carbon, greatly effects the overal strength as well.
David F View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-18-2006 at 11:43am
Wrong again. Woven roving has the same strenght in two directions (at least), not just one. CC orients the woven roving in the same direction throughout the laminate of the hull. The mat provides strength in the directions that the woven roving is deficient. The mat also helps the layers of woven roving from delaminating from each other, but they will still delaminate with excessive bending or impact...I know from seeing it first hand. Light weight cloths are less suseptible to this delamination from impact and/or bending.

Agreed, the type of material effects strength (i.e. glass vs carbon vs kevlar). But, the type of material does not effect delamination albeit at higher forces.

Here is my take on what CC does: They use heavy woven roving to facilitate layup time and save labor. The plus side is that it also saves weight which is good. The negative side is that it is a weaker laminate thickness for thickness to a light cloth laminate. CC gets back the strength by using epoxy resin. Overall, the hull on CC boats are generally stronger than the rest of the industry for two reasons: Thicker cross section and the use of epoxy resin.

Woven Roving yeilds a lighter laminate because woven roving is usually a tighter weave than lighter cloths and thus "holds" less resin (or has fewer voids for the resin to fill).
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-18-2006 at 11:51am

Wrong again. Woven roving has the same strenght in two directions (at least), not just one.

it has strength in two directions only the direction of the weave so anything at an angle to the weave is significantly weaker, that's why most are layed at a 45 degree angle to each layer as it's built up to give strength in all directions not just axilly to the weave.
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-18-2006 at 11:52am
I think you guys are mostly arguing over terminology and not really substance, whats refered to as woven roving is the 18 oz stuff that most people sell, its almost impossible to get flat for a floor application and I would shy away from it in that application. However I don't think what TRbenj is using will be adequate either the layering is fine although I would probably orient the cloth layers 45 degrees off each time. My main issue is that he doesnt have enough weight in there for a glass over foam app. It takes about 10 layers of 10 oz cloth to get up to an 1/8 inch thickness. I have a dynacell core glass sandwhich floor in my mustang its got three layers of 10oz cloth on the top and two on the bottom its exceptionally strong but the fiberglass is nowhere near the thickness you are talking about achieveing and your total combo is adding up to about 18 oz. I might be missing something here but I think you might need some heavier cloth/mat or some more layers, even with the fairly high density foam you are using?

What have other people used over poured in foam?
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
David F View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-18-2006 at 12:02pm
The minimum overall thickness should be 1/8" in my oppinion. I agree, it will take 8-10 layers depending on the mat being used. The mat overcomes the diagonal weakness inherent in the cloth (or woven roving). CC does NOT (at least in my boat) orient the woven roving at a 45 degree angle in their hulls.

A test layup should be done to determine the number of alternating layers required to achieve 1/8" thickness.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-18-2006 at 12:10pm
joe did you vaccum bag the sandwich layup or just brush/spray on the resin to wet out the cloth layers?
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-18-2006 at 1:10pm
Now you guys have me thinking. I thought that 7 layers of the lighter weight stuff would still be plenty thick. Would it be better to replace 1 or 2 layers of the cloth with some 18oz woven roving to get some more strength/thickness, rather than doing 10+ layers?
David F View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-18-2006 at 1:31pm
You can, but the floor with be much thicker than you need in order to get the flexural strenght that you need.

If I were you, I would glass on side of the floor at a time. Do one side full thickness and let it cure. Once it cures, grind the edge where the other side of the floor will join it to a 12:1 taper. This way, you can work inside the boat and not worry about stepping in your work.

The easiest way to spread resin on a large area is with a foam paint roller. Roll out air each third layer at a minimum. After overall thickness achieved, fill in low spots with scrap mat. Turn down each layer onto the side of the main stringer going further down each layer (make sure to grind off the bilge paint first. The mat will not want to make the 90 degree bend, so you may consider easing (1/2" radius or so) the corner. If you want the corner nice a sharp when you are done, cut narrow strips of mat (or cloth) and and build up the corner. Then when cured, you can grind the corner square again. You will have to modify this aproach in the area of the aluminum engine frame, but hopefully, yoiu get the idea.

Remember, CC did not use woven roving (18oz.) in the construction of the floor (at least not in my boat).

Depending on the material you purchased, you may need only 6-8 layers. Do a quick test to find out. How many gallons of resin did you purchase. I would guess you need to start with 2.66 gallons, especially since you are doing the entire floor.
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-18-2006 at 1:47pm
TRBenj,
I think you will be surprised at how little it builds up. I would use more or thicker layers for your application. The foam support provides a lot of strength but you are going to need enough impact resistance to not have a ski fin drop or something of the like to start a delamination effect that will produce an eventual soft spot.

I have vacuum bagged bike frames and racing canoes before but that floor was done with a mohair roller standing in the center of the engine cutout and smoothing my way out, it involved a lot of bending over and reaching and it sucked, and it wouldnt work if the boat was a little bigger as I would not have been able to reach far enough. I did the bottom two layers out of the boat, used thicken expoxy to attach it to the stingers and the sides and create the fillet at the sides then did the 3layers (with some staggered overlaps) in progressively larger overlaps up the sidewalls of the boat. It is very light and stiff and should last forever but incredibly expensive. The foam for the floor alone was easily 300 dollars for a very small boat. The Mohair rolling process definitely used a bit more epoxy than vacumm bagging would have, but there were only on or two fairly inconsequential bubbles.
-Joe.     

1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-18-2006 at 2:14pm
Joe, youre right- the cloth Im using is fairly light and didnt add a lot of thickness. The mat seems to have more weight to it, though its only supposed to be 1.5oz. The glass seemed to be fairly thick when I did the stringer, and I only used 3 layers. It also seemed quite strong and very hard. Just by eyeballing it, I thought 7 layers would be thicker than 1/8". When I spoke to the US Composites rep, he talked me out of going with the 6oz S-glass (saying it was overkill) and that the 4oz E-glass was plenty thick and strong for my application.

David, I have just over 2 gallons of resin left (plus the associated hardener). As you can see in the pics, I am not going the full width of the floor- there is only 3" of foam on either side of the stringer for the most part. The section that is close to full width is about 30" long. Only the one perpendicular support spans all the way to the main stringer, so I should only have to wrap into the bilge over a 3-6" section.

I think I will proceed with the repair as planned and hope I get the thickness I need from the materials I have. Thanks to everyone for their input!

marks View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote marks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-18-2006 at 2:36pm
Guys,

According to one of my books on boat repair, it says that 1.5oz mat will yield about 1/32 inch thickness and 6oz cloth about 1/100 inch. Does this sound correct or is it way off?

Thanks,
Mark
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-18-2006 at 2:58pm
sounds like from both of your sources the mat is giving you more thickness than I would have guessed and that will help out. I am not guessing on the cloth though I have used all kinds extensively, and the 6oz 1/100th inch is about right. Don't know how 1.5 oz mat gives more thickness than that but I have never used mat in a project except as a thin finishing layer before painting and it seems to be the case based on the info presented.
-Joe.   
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <123>
  Share Topic