NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

93 CC Nautique Excel CB - Cockpit Boat cover

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Cheiz View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cheiz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 93 CC Nautique Excel CB - Cockpit Boat cover
    Posted: September-26-2016 at 3:17pm
New to CCF and was wondering if there is a snap on cover or something close to this image/link below for a cockpit cover for my boat.

Snap On Cockpit Cover

I found the Nautiqueparts.com mooring cover for universal tower but not exactly what I am looking for.

NP Mooring Cover
93 CC Nautique Excel CB 351 GT40
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-26-2016 at 3:31pm
Just say NO to snaps. Check with Angola Covers as they may have a pattern for your boat.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-26-2016 at 3:41pm
Chris,
I agree on NO snaps and yes, check out Angola Canvas. Regarding the snaps, you will find there aren't very many members who are thrilled about them just because of the way they look drilled into a deck or hull. BTW, regarding members not being thrilled about something, you do not even want to mention the word "tube" or "tubing"!!

Welcome to CCfan. We love pictures so when you get a chance, post some of your boat.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
relake View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote relake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-26-2016 at 3:49pm
Angola Covers

Here is a link to Angola Covers
Cheiz View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cheiz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-26-2016 at 3:51pm
Haha, thanks all, I sent Angola Canvas a message hopefully something comes of it with no snaps lol.
michiel200 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote michiel200 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-27-2016 at 8:01am
Angola made me a cover in early 2010 for my '92 BFN in Sunbrella. They have the measurements. This year is the 7th season I'm using it, My boat is in the water from early May till half October . Cover is still fine. Had to renew some stitching this year, thats all. Highly recommended!
'92 BFN
RammerJammer View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RammerJammer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-28-2016 at 11:05am
Chris, please keep us posted on the cover. I'm very interested in hearing your review. I'm going to get one from Angola Canvas in the next couple of months for my Excel. The quote they gave me for it was very reasonable. I think I'm going to have them add side skirts that drape down and cover the colored gelcoat.
1991 Nautique Excel, PCM 351, Pro-Tec ignition
Cheiz View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cheiz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-29-2016 at 10:36am
Guys I'll let you know but I am really liking the snap cover because my boat is in the water from early May to October as well.

I am going with someone local. I am getting a quote today or early Friday morning.
www.tridentmarinecanvas.com

The Centurion Boat on the website that is has a cover from the windows to past the rear engine hood is exactly what I am looking for and want, sorry guys/gals I like the snap design for complete coverage of the cockpit and engine bay.

TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-29-2016 at 11:46am
I don't recommend that style of cover.
Cheiz View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cheiz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-29-2016 at 12:09pm
^ What do you recommend? Reason against having the snaps?

This is really the only one I have found form Nautiqueparts.com
Cheiz View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cheiz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-29-2016 at 12:10pm
Talked to Townsend at Nautiqueparts.com and he recommended a 22' cover (boat is only 20') so that it will cover the platform.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-29-2016 at 12:21pm
Originally posted by Cheiz Cheiz wrote:

^ What do you recommend? Reason against having the snaps?

This is really the only one I have found form Nautiqueparts.com
http://www.nautiqueparts.com/images/products/detail/tstcover.jpg

Chris,
Bad link.

What did Angola have to say? Did they have the pattern? What do you find bad about a draw string cover? You really want those ugly snaps?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-29-2016 at 12:28pm
Cockpit covers don't protect the deck or the dash (through the windshield)- they will wear very quickly if exposed to constant UV. The one cockpit cover I inherited was also very good at pulling the windshield frame off the glass due to the rearward stretch. No bueno.

Snaps are another major detractor... Drilling holes in gelcoat is a terrible thing.
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-29-2016 at 12:38pm
[

The Centurion Boat on the website that is has a cover from the windows to past the rear engine hood is exactly what I am looking for and want, sorry guys/gals I like the snap design for complete coverage of the cockpit and engine bay.

A few problems with that style cover, assuming you can live with snaps all over your deck that will be there forever and never fit another off the shelf cover after this one wears out ...

Consider putting the snaps in the rub rail as it is easier to replace than it is to fill a billion holes in the gel cote... it also wont interfere with wiping down, buffing, or waxing your boat like the snaps will ...

Second, not covering the windshield is a big mistake the boat will act like a green house and things will melt and crack. I have two boats that had covers like that before I got them and the top of the dash is trashed on both of them... cracks in the gel cote.

Third, the parts of the deck, especially the horizontal ones in the front that are not covered by the snap in cockpit cover will fade and you will see a noticeable line between the covered portion and the uncovered portion.   You can still see it on my 83 6 years after that cover is gone and even though the boat has been wetsanded once and compounded a couple times since then...

I see the appeal of the snaps, the drawstring under the rub rail covers have to be just right to keep water from pooling and a snap cover always stays... but if you have to do it seriously consider snaps in the bottom of your rub rail and a cover that covers the whole deck (and rub rail)

1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
Cheiz View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cheiz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-29-2016 at 12:48pm
Picture fixed.

Wow, thanks all for the words of wisdow.

Good point on the greenhouse effect lol.

Yes I was intending to do that on the rubber rub rail and not on the boat itself, I agree about not damaging it.

Angola stated this about the rub rail but said they could do a whole boat cover with the drawstring which basically what Nautiqueparts.com has with this universal one.

This is what Nautiqueparts.com said about the universal cover:

"It has a drawstring that goes around and ties beneath the tower on both sides....Yes you need the 22 as your boat without you platform is 20' add the platform and it is 22'. Yes Haze Gray is available in poly guard. It should tighten down tight enough that tie downs are not needed unless you foresee a bad storm coming. The pole does go in the cockpit area and is sold separately"

You all are leaning me towards the universal cover from Nautiqueparts.....
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-29-2016 at 12:54pm
My drawstring cover has 5 or 6 straps on each side with snaps that attach to the underside of the rubrail, they are in line with the tent poles and make for a very nice firm fit, something to consider. Noticing your signature it sounds like you have a tower, if so that will need to be coordinated with the cover manufacturer.

quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-29-2016 at 12:58pm
If you go with that universal cover I would budget for having a local upholstery shop modify it to work correctly for you boat.
Cheiz View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cheiz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-29-2016 at 1:04pm
Originally posted by quinner quinner wrote:

My drawstring cover has 5 or 6 straps on each side with snaps that attach to the underside of the rubrail, they are in line with the tent poles and make for a very nice firm fit, something to consider. Noticing your signature it sounds like you have a tower, if so that will need to be coordinated with the cover manufacturer.

Did you get from Angola?

Do you have any pictures on your cover please?
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-29-2016 at 1:05pm
Skip the universal cover, it won't fit right or have reinforcing in the right areas.

Go with Angola- they have the pattern and it will fit much better. Pony up for sunbrella if you want it to breathe and last a long time.
Cheiz View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cheiz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-29-2016 at 1:13pm
Ok, thanks all.

I am going to ask the local company if they can make full cover with velcro closure around the tower holes and straps to go under the rub rail along with a support in the middle for a pole.

Have an email into Angola also stating the same thing.

Boy am I glad I jumped on this forum, appreciate the help.
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RammerJammer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-29-2016 at 1:38pm
Angola quoted me $450-$675 for my Monster Towered Excel (depending on material used). This is a custom fit cover only marginally more expensive than the "universal" towered-boat cover. I don't know about your Excel, but my Monster Tower sits just slightly too far forward for the universal cover. I'm definitely going with Angola, mostly on the recommendation of others here on CCFan.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote michiel200 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-29-2016 at 1:43pm
Ok, guys. I just went to the marina and made some pictures.
This is a Angola cover in Sunbrella on a '92 BFN.
Angola used their pattern to make it and shipped it to Holland.
In use for 7 seasons now in the wet Dutch climate (as you can see).
'92 BFN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote michiel200 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-29-2016 at 2:17pm
One more.
'92 BFN
Blamey View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blamey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-29-2016 at 2:45pm
My boat came with a cockpit and bow cover with snaps. The cover works well and is easy to get on and off and is much smaller than a full cover so keeping it fold up in the boat is easy.

I also have a Sunbrella Angola Cover that covers the whole boat to just below the rub rail and over the swim platform at the back of the boat.

I use the bow/cockpit cover when I leave the boat in the water because the Angola cover would get wet as it covers the platform, it would also be hard to fit as the ratchet to close it goes under the platform.

As convenient as the cockpit cover is I'd much rather be able to use the Angola cover while my boat is in the water. As others have said, it provides much better coverage including the windshield and top deck. I'd also rather not have snaps in my gel coat. I also hate the snaps in the windshield more then the snaps in the gel coat. They move and scratch and scrape the paint job. I am thinking of ways I can alter the cover to use it while the boat is still in the water.

I do like the bow part of the cover. I like that I can leave it on when using the boat and have the additional storage in the bow for life jackets, towels and boat covers, which free up space in the cockpit, which is generally pretty full of gear anyway. I would even think of adding snaps into a boat to add one of these in the future.

Here are some pics of my boat with the two covers.

96 Super Sport
Previously: 95 Sport Nautique, 1980 Ski Supreme
Cheiz View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cheiz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-29-2016 at 6:51pm
Awesome thanks!

Great pics of covers and those CCs!
Cheiz View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cheiz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-13-2016 at 4:27pm
Okay all, the cover is ordered from Angola and he did have my template, thanks (I sent your pictures michiel200 appreciate that!) .

Bob told me I should have it by the end of next weekend.

The material they use is called ABC and is a marine grade canvas that is coated to protect from all the harsh elements and have two support poles (one near the rear seat and one between the driver and observer seat).

He recommended this over Sunbrella as I told him it is going to be stored outside on a trailer open to the elements (boo, already took it out of the water last weekend....). He mentioned that Sunbrella has a tendency to stretch and is porous even though it has a long warranty.

I will take pictures once I get it.
Cheiz View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cheiz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-31-2016 at 10:29am
Thanks all for the help on the cover, Angola Canvas was definitely the one to go to. The marine grade canvas fit like a glove on the boat.

Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RammerJammer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-31-2016 at 10:51pm
Chris, thanks for posting the pics. It looks great. I'll be getting one just like it in the spring.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic