Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

New to forum

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
Author
JD ski View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD ski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New to forum
    Posted: September-25-2016 at 4:27pm
Hello,
I have been spending some time on your site for the last month researching and learning form your experiences. Thank you for sharing.

I am a skier, on either form of H20 solid or liquid. I have been on snow since I was 13 and on the water since some time in elementary school.. My family moved to the mountains North of Tahoe (Lake Almanor California, Area) when I was in eighth grade. My family did not snow ski or water ski, we never had a boat. I was the kid at the lake on the shore or on the dock with a ski, but no boat.

I married a skier and after purchasing a home we next purchased a boat we still own a 1975 Century Resorter 18 ft.. I modified the GM small block by boring and stroking it to a 388. At an elevation of 4500 ft. the boat GPS at 52 mph. We have owned the boat for 17 years. We are raising a family of skiers, yes, snow and water. The benefits of living in God's country, you can water ski sometimes into November and then start snow skiing.

A month ago my wife said we should look at a newer boat that would be easier for a skier to get in and out of the water, a ski deck, maybe an open bow, a bimini, and a smaller softer wake. I found your site and Boat Trader. I found a 1999 AIR Air Nautique with a GT40 Pro Boss with only 154 hours on it that had always been kept in the garage. I liked the colors white, black, trimmed in red, no tower, no sacks, and analogue gauges.

I was able to purchase the boat from the original owner. He purchased it from California Correct Craft in Riverside Ca. and used the boat at Lake Mead, Nevada. If the boat was not in the water it was in the garage. My wife and I made an 1100 mile round trip to Henderson, Nevada. We left Friday after work and spent 32 hr. including one hotel visit and a visit to the closest Discount Tire for a new set of tires for our 550 mile trip in 100 degree weather to get us home. The boat was in the water Sunday morning.

As I said in the beginning, thank you guys for the forum and information you share. I do most of my work/maintenance myself while teaching my kids the importance of maintaining your equipment and how to do it your self.

Jim

JD ski, slicing, dicing, and shredding since 1981

1999 Air Nautique, GT40 Pro Boss, Trail Rite trailer
1975 Century Resorter
Timr71 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Timr71 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-25-2016 at 5:03pm
Welcome! Well, um, I'm not really on the welcome committee since I only found this place back in the early summer and I kinda don't even own a CC. (even though CC owns the manufacturer of my boat...figure that one out)

I'm as avid a snow skier as one can be and still live in Alabama. I'm looking forward to snow season even though snow skiing for me usually involves a plane ride. I've spent a handful of days on the slopes of Squaw and Alpine...both are near the top of my list of favorite places...when they have good snow.

Funny story, a friend of mine (also from Alabama) and I got on the KT-22 lift with a couple of locals. I elbowed him in the ribs and looked at the locals and said in the thickets southern drawl that I could muster: "Hey man is it hard to ski down from up here?" They both stared at us like we'd just grown two heads. We spent the rest of the ride up talking about skiing and the fact that we were indeed from Alabama and we have done multiple laps on KT-22. Good times.

Enjoy the new boat. People here are going to scream at you to post pictures...so you might want to snap a few and post them...soon! :)
JD ski View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD ski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-25-2016 at 6:29pm
Thanks for the welcome. The boat is in unbelievable condition for any boat 17 years old. I would be on it now if my daughter was not sick instead of typing and cleaning the boat. If and when I figure out how to post photos I will. I would have posted them in the first post but I have not figured out how to post photos yet. I remember seeing a various post or two that describe how to post I will have to refined them.

1975 Century Resorter
JD ski View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD ski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-26-2016 at 1:46am

Here are some photos I took today while I was cleaning.

1975 Century Resorter
Smithfamily View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smithfamily Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-26-2016 at 7:09am
Welcome JD and family! Sure is a good looking boat! Got your garage in order as well! Water skiing into November?! On Tahoe? BRRRRRR! I have a buddy in Incline Village, and he took me out once the end of June, and I think the water was in the 40's!!
We are in Florida, and prefer the water a tad warmer. However, we do not have an easy commute for snow skiing. That would be Mt Rose, our favorite.
Js
JD ski View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD ski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-26-2016 at 10:30am
Thank you,
We are not skiing in Tahoe in November. The deeper areas of Tahoe are cold in the summer in a spring suit. We usually ski lake Almanor about 100 miles north of Tahoe, it is at an elevation of 4500 ft..We ware spring or full wet suits.
In my younger days I was a ski patrol at Sugar Bowel and then I back country patrolled in Lassen Park hiking the summit and skiing in the early spring.
The skis on the wall are old wood skis, A Tapper Flex, Maharaja, and a Cut and Jump

1975 Century Resorter
lewy2001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lewy2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-26-2016 at 10:44am
Jim welcome nice looking Sport/Air.
I imported my 98 Sport into Australia from the US it was the ski school boat from Lake Tahoe

If you're going through hell, keep going

89 Ski

<a href="http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=5685" ta
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-26-2016 at 10:54am
Well let's see the Century too. You're gonna love the Air..
spiralhelix View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiralhelix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-26-2016 at 1:00pm
Welcome and beautiful boat! You can definitely lose yourself reading for hours here.

Even though we can "ski" on top of snow here in IL, 30 secs from top to bottom is just silly. Whistler, BC tends to be called home for us at least once a year. I smile about as much there as I do on the water.
-Spiral
'89 Sport Nautique
bkhallpass View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-26-2016 at 3:47pm
Good looking boat.

I spend winters at Squaw. Summers in the Delta. Went to Almonor with family as a kid, but haven't been there in years. Would be nice to make it up there again.

Maybe you can have a reunion up there. Hint, hint :)

BKH
Livin' the Dream

63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-26-2016 at 5:02pm
Jim, that thing looks like it's brand new, and love the graphics! 154 hours in 17 years, talk about a trailer queen. As said above, you'll love that boat.

Best of luck with it!
'63 American Skier - '98 Sport Nautique
JD ski View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD ski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-27-2016 at 3:08am
Thanks for the warm welcomes. I would guess the Tahoe boat in NSW is a one of a kind thing. I have spent a bit of time looking through files for pictures of the Century and have not. I could take pictures of it now but it is sun faded and needs a new paint job. I will eventually find some photos or take some in it's current state. I am totally impressed with the Air Nautique in every aspect. Almanor would be a great location for a reunion and or Bucks Lake located out of Quincy CA. Almanor has better and more lodging and camping, boat ramps public and private for travelers. The AIr Natiques trailer queen days are over, it will get used in this household and well cared for.

1975 Century Resorter
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-27-2016 at 7:05am
Originally posted by JD ski JD ski wrote:

I have spent a bit of time looking through files for pictures of the Century and have not. I could take pictures of it now but it is sun faded and needs a new paint job. .

Jim,
Hopefully it hasn't been painted and all it needs is a good wet sand and buff. Please don't consider paint. We have plenty of members who's boats aren't in pristine show condition and we understand that. If you do get a chance to take some pictures,we'd love to see the Resorter. They were and still are one of the most beautiful boats out there.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
JD ski View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD ski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-27-2016 at 10:30am
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Originally posted by JD ski JD ski wrote:

I have spent a bit of time looking through files for pictures of the Century and have not. I could take pictures of it now but it is sun faded and needs a new paint job. .

Jim,
Hopefully it hasn't been painted and all it needs is a good wet sand and buff. Please don't consider paint. We have plenty of members who's boats aren't in pristine show condition and we understand that. If you do get a chance to take some pictures,we'd love to see the Resorter. They were and still are one of the most beautiful boats out there.

I have tried wet sanding and went through the color in a spot.. I agree with you and feel it is a beautiful boat. When I first saw is, there was a small 3x5 for sale sign in the side window. i knew that was what i wanted. I chased the guy all over the lake as i was walking on the road when it was trailer-ed by.

I found the boat pulled up on shore sitting on the prop and rudder. I got the phone number and called. The owner answered the phone to my surprise (this was pre cell phone era). His son-in-law had borrowed the boat. He told me to go find the son-in-law and have him take you for a ride. I found him and he told me he was not going to take me for a ride as he got to use the boat for free and did not want it sold. It took me a year to purchase the Resorter from the original owner as the family did not want him to sell it. But I kept calling and eventually got it. Although the motor has been highly modified for skiing at high altitude I kept the motor and boat appearing stock. it still has the 250 hp stickers on the valve covers.

1975 Century Resorter
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-27-2016 at 11:46am
Jim,
How did the wet sand and buff turn out? 99% of the time it turns out better than factory. The spot where you sanded through the gell could be re gelled.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
JD ski View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD ski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-28-2016 at 1:18am
Ok, I took some photos of the 1975 Century Resorter. 8122PBrainard cause me to take the cover off and get the sanding blocks out and start sanding again. Maybe this time I wont give up. The last photo is after I finished sanding for the night and washed it off, so it is wet.

1975 Century Resorter
relake View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote relake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-28-2016 at 9:33am
Looking good, keep it up!
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-28-2016 at 9:48am
Originally posted by relake relake wrote:

Looking good, keep it up!

Jim,
I sure agree! Yes, keep going. The boat is worth the effort. Are you aware that complete upholstery kits are available for Century's?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
JD ski View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD ski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-28-2016 at 10:23am
Thanks guys, and yes I have been aware of and shopped at A&A Marine. That now old looking cover I purchased new about 16 years ago from A&A Marine. Any of the damaged areas on the upholstery and scraps in the hull came from the previous owner or probably his son-in-law. He told me every time the son-in-law used the boat he had to have prop repair done and a new prop shaft installed and that was one of the reasons he was selling it, so he did not have to loan it to the son-in-law any more.

1975 Century Resorter
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-28-2016 at 10:53am
Son-in-law needs a boot in the ass.

It's looking great, what's all the equipment under the balcony?
Waterdog View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Waterdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-28-2016 at 10:59am
H/W you my boy, have an eye 4 dee-tail
- waterdog -

78 Ski Tique

quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-28-2016 at 12:45pm
Yea Doggie, he is like a Peeping Tom in a different way!!
JD ski View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD ski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-28-2016 at 9:19pm
Originally posted by Hollywood Hollywood wrote:

Yes but his disrespect for the boat eventually got the boat to be mine.

It's looking great, what's all the equipment under the balcony?

A buffing wheel on a stand made out of a model -A axle, A radial arm saw, and a combo disk and belt sander. it all had to come outside so the Nautique could be in the garage.

1975 Century Resorter
JD ski View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD ski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-28-2016 at 9:27pm
It is all protected by 125 lbs of Akita.

1975 Century Resorter
JPASS View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JPASS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-28-2016 at 10:25pm
Originally posted by Hollywood Hollywood wrote:

+1

'92 Correctcraft Ski Nautique
JD ski View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD ski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-01-2016 at 2:03am
1975 Century Resorter 18 ft.
The drag boat is a friends, He sold it but I think it is a Howard with a 440 Chrysler. I think in that photo it has a tunnel ram and dual quads. At one point it also had a 6-71 blower on it but I can not tell in the photo. The Lake is Lake Almanor California.

1975 Century Resorter
JD ski View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD ski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-02-2016 at 1:03am
I was wrong about the brand of the drag boat. It is a Wriedt (pronounced right) It started out as a shell found upside down under pine trees with some parts in boxes. After it was sold to a younger individual he informed my friend that he made a 118 mph pass in it.

My boy and I in the Century with my son driving. He loved to be in that boat

1975 Century Resorter
Smithfamily View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smithfamily Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-02-2016 at 9:31am
You've shared some great pictures JD!
Js
JD ski View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD ski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-08-2016 at 12:56pm
Originally posted by Smithfamily Smithfamily wrote:

You've shared some great pictures JD!

Thank you,
This is the location I grew up at, hung out at, partied at, Learned to water ski at, and in the back ground is Mt. Lassen park/peak./volcano.. I use to hike up to the top in the early spring and throughout the summer, usually all the way through July and snow ski. This is also the location/cove/camp area I am suggesting for the location of the Correct Craft West Coast Reunion for 2017.

1975 Century Resorter
JD ski View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD ski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-24-2017 at 12:27am
It was a boat weekend not on the water. I de-winterized the Nautique. It fired right up, let it warm up so she is ready to go. The boat trailer never had a spare, so I was able to find a matching wheel and tire over winter. I purchased a spare tire mount that did not fit perfectly. So, it goes into the welding shop this week to attach the spare tire holder to the trailer. Then I broke out the polishing equipment.

The Century Resorter had been neglected, so she received a lot of love. I spent the rest of the weekend bringing back the finish. It came out better than I expected. I put the cover back on prior to getting any pictures. There is still plenty of work to do so I will get pictures another day. My shoulders, arms, chest, and back and are very sore.

1975 Century Resorter
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
  Share Topic