Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Anyone tow with a BMW X3

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
illiniball2000 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote illiniball2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Anyone tow with a BMW X3
    Posted: September-24-2016 at 1:45pm
Anybody have any experience with towing with x3 ? Says it's rated for 3500 pounds.
Beer is my friend
87 Dominique
Had 67 Starflite
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-24-2016 at 1:56pm
Is it set up to tow, with a hitch and wiring and everything?

How much does your rig weigh?

I'd say try it, if it doesn't require spending a lot of extra money getting it ready. Just take it easy in the beginning. Keep it slow and steady and give yourself plenty of room to stop.

I've towed with a Jeep Liberty, which isn't the most robust tow vehicle, but it did the job. My 2011 Liberty was plenty stable and stopped well, but the 210hp engine left me wanting. There's a tow vehicle thread where people talk about everything they've towed with. Some like to have plenty of excess capacity, which I do have now with a V8 Grand Cherokee, but if you're not ready to change vehicles, there's no sense in doing it if you're only doing occasional towing.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote illiniball2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-24-2016 at 3:11pm
I'm getting an X3 as a company car. Will have to get rid of my Titan which I use now. I have a 67 Starflite. I'm not sure of actual overall weight. Also looking to add a mid 90's Ski or Sport to the fleet. Haven't researched weights on those yet. Was hoping someone had some first hand experience with the X3.
Beer is my friend
87 Dominique
Had 67 Starflite
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-24-2016 at 3:38pm
Give this thread a look:
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=32433&PN=1&title=pics-of-your-tow-vehicle

You'd definitely be over the line with a Sport Nautique. Cutting it close with a Ski Nautique.

I know Kristof tows with a BMW station wagon, but not sure other than that.
Kristof View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kristof Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-26-2016 at 6:18pm
No problem towing your boat with an X3. We have a member of our ski club towing his Malibu Response with an X3 (gas engine) for four years now with no problems whatsoever.

My 2001 hangs behind an E61 525 diesel for eight years now. Never had a problem.

It's a BMW. No further explanation needed

- Gun control means: using BOTH hands!
- Money doesn't make one happy, but when it rains cats and dogs, it's still better to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle...

63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-26-2016 at 9:11pm
That's a nice company car!
'63 American Skier - '98 Sport Nautique
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-27-2016 at 2:47am
If your X3 has the factory hitch and factory tow harness you will be fine up to the cars rating. Take time to check the European rating for the same car. We have an X5 with the V8, tons of power and huge tires and brakes make a good tow vehicle but if you don't have the factory tow options you are in trouble.
Hooking up a trailer changes ride height, this messes up the factory stability control when you brake or hit bumps giving you a lousy ride because the computer will keep trying to make the car drive like it has no trailer attached.   Also the factory sensors that alert for objects too close to your car and offer rear view backup camera will wig out.
So....... If the car has the factory tow upgrade it can tow really well, if not get the dealer to set it up with the conversion correctly, about $800-$1,000 cost.
If yours is the new diesel it has more useable power than my V8 power. 430 pounds of torque at 1600 RPM, we all need that.
My son has the X5 diesel, I have the V8.   Mine sounds cool his is amazing and gets 30+ hwy mpg.
Now for the kicker, I tow with our 2003 Yukon, it is larger than the X5, much larger than the X3 and does a better job in most areas with towing although it has less power it has plenty.
When towing the longer the wheel base the more stable you feel. We had a suburban and it was more stable than the Tahoe or the Yukon I've owned.
The X5 is bigger than the X3 so I think my notes will be exaggerated in your X3.
You can tow with the X3 safely, power won't be an issue you can pull any hill with the gear ratios your tranny offers. Taking highway turns at speed is where you will need to be carefull and make sure the boat brakes are in top condition at all times because you will be at the X3 limits.
In the old days I towed my tournament boats with a 4 cyl powered 1983 Chrysler K car, a 1984 and 1986 Chevy Celebrity 4 cyl, a full size short bed big block, a full size Lon bed small block
Then two Suburbans one a diesel, a 2002 Tahoe, a 2006 Trailblazer the 2008 X5 and our 03 Yukon.   The Nautique came first, the tow vehicle got better over time. We have yet to tow with the new X5 Diesel but it will do great.
Long wheel base is better, 3\4 tons are better than 1/2 tons. More torque is always better but most important good air conditioning gets you home comfortable. Short wheelbase tow rigs are nice for gettinginto tight spots.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote illiniball2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-27-2016 at 9:40pm
Thanks for all the responses. I haven't ordered the X3 yet and am not sure what kind of options I will get to choose. Hiwever I won't probably add towing to it if it costs$899+. I will just pick up a good used SUV/truck to tow with.
Thanks again,
Brian
Beer is my friend
87 Dominique
Had 67 Starflite
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-27-2016 at 10:08pm
Seems there are more capable SUV's for less $... Are you stuck with an X3 or could you pick something a bit more versatile in the same price range?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote illiniball2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-27-2016 at 11:46pm
Only choice is Escape or two cars   Wish I could pick something different but I can't complain to much as it's a free car.
Beer is my friend
87 Dominique
Had 67 Starflite
tryathlete View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tryathlete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-28-2016 at 1:13am
I'm towing a 1996 Super Sport with a 2016 Highlander. It's adequate but sure would rather have Alan's Jeep Diesel (at least until the Warranty expires!).
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-28-2016 at 8:56am
Originally posted by illiniball2000 illiniball2000 wrote:

Only choice is Escape or two cars   Wish I could pick something different but I can't complain to much as it's a free car.

You choose from an Escape or a BMW X3??? That's not much of a choice!

I have a friend that got a very nice Silverado 4WD as his work car/truck, he's a sales guy that needs to be able to bring some equipment with him. But, part of the deal is he has to agree to never tow with it. Hadn't heard that one before, really think the policy sucks.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote illiniball2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-28-2016 at 10:33pm
Yeah it depends on your pay grade level. Most people only get Escape or Fusion. Then some get to also choose from X3 or 325. Service guys get F150. I haven't figured out yet how I can sneak into one of those. I have a bad feeling that
there is a no towing policy at our company too.
Beer is my friend
87 Dominique
Had 67 Starflite
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-29-2016 at 12:46am
I don't understand the thinking behind it. I get it that if you have a pickup you can't plow with it, can't go off-road mudding or whatever. But towing? The rule should be that any towing has to be withing the truck's tow rating and call it good, it's not going to hurt the truck any.

Too many rules .........
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-29-2016 at 10:36am
It's a work car not your personal do whatever vehicle. Sure it would be nice but no towing is not that far fetched. It could be "worse", at least you get to buzz around in it on your own time.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote illiniball2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-29-2016 at 10:56am
Yep. I guess I need to find me an old Caddy for towing.
Beer is my friend
87 Dominique
Had 67 Starflite
81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-29-2016 at 11:02am
I never let anybody tow with my company cars    

Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-29-2016 at 11:03am
Am I the only one that thinks 1990s vehicles are not old?
relake View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote relake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-29-2016 at 11:19am
Originally posted by Hollywood Hollywood wrote:

Preach it!
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-29-2016 at 11:24am
Originally posted by Hollywood Hollywood wrote:

We're going to the river at 5 today to ski, I'll be towing with my '98 GMC diesel 3/4 ton. I'll take a picture just so you know you aren't alone.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic