NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

1972 SN Promo Project

Post Reply Post Reply Page   123 13>
Author
Frankenotter View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frankenotter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1972 SN Promo Project
    Posted: September-18-2016 at 10:30pm
I finally got home after a long stretch on the road followed by a wedding, As some of you have already seen, Dan posted here with the idea that he might sell his 72 Promo. I had a work trip in Oakland a few weeks ago so I got a hold of him and rented a car to come check it out.

I hope Dan can chime in here with the correct story of how he ended up owning it. As a remember it, some guy had a lot with a ton of different boats and other vehicles. This orange hull stuck out of the pack. Dan, being a Correct craft fan (he owns a 79 BFN and 91 SN), knew that it was something special and tried several times to get it.

When I came to see her, it sat in a lot 1hr west of Oakland, CA just like this.

As you can see, it's very very rough, but complete. The gel is in decent shape, the stringers are toast, the interior is gone (minus the frames), the trailer is not for an inboard, the rudder and tracking fins are bent, and 2 of the speedos are hooped.

The Chrysler 340 is in unknown condition. I didn't have a breaker bar in my suitcase but the dipstick still had oil in it and all the components are present. As you can see, the manifolds have been removed to get bead blasted. Reid.............I'm going to need your help on this one bud!

1999 Ski Nautique 196
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frankenotter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-18-2016 at 10:50pm
So, I started incessantly pestering Dan about buying this beast. After he thought about it for a while, he called me back and gave me a price that was lower than I was willing to give him. Super cool guy and he just wanted to see it live!

At this time, Mr. Hall (aka BKHallPass) drove out to pick her up. Brian has gone way above and beyond acting as a personal bank, photographer, transportation, and storage facility.

Now a few mysteries, the plaque says "73". I thought these promos were all made in 72? Also does anyone know a Don McClelland? It would be cool to find out where this thing came from.

Is this the serial number?
1999 Ski Nautique 196
barefootdan View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote barefootdan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-19-2016 at 2:44am
Diablo ski club is located in Brentwood CA.

So here is the story on how I obtained this boat it was something like 1998 when my dad told me about this boat located in a secured parking lot in stockton CA, so I would go to check it out, I found the owner of the lot and asked if he would leave the owner of the boat a message that I wanted to buy the boat, I never heard back from him. I would always drive by it just to look at it. One day the lot was empty. About 2 months later I got on the am track train going to bakersfield and sitting high in the train I see over a fence the boat again, once again I try to contact the owner with no reply again. A year or two pass then I find the boat in another secured parking lot and again I would drive by then finally one day I drive by and the gate was open and guys were moving vehicles. I asked if they knew the owner of the boat and the said yea he's across the street. This guy had about 20 junk cars and three boats. He was the classic hoarder did not want to sell me the nautique. I pretty much begged him for about an hour until he realized I wasn't leaving without it, it worked he sold me the boat in 2014. It then took me another year and a half to get it regestered in my name. That was the most difficult thing I couldn't tell you guys how many times I went to DMV and left there pulling my hair out. So that's my story.
barefootdan View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote barefootdan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-19-2016 at 2:47am
I called this boat punkn while I had it.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-19-2016 at 8:52am
Yes, that is the serial number. We will have to compare it to the other promos and have Art pull the build sheets. Will be interesting to see the production dates, I have seen a mix of '72 and '73 hardware on the orange promo boats, but they are generally believed to be '72 model year. Of course, the model year demarcation was a little fuzzier back then. My theory is that the dark green promos were ~70, the yellow promos like Paul Waters were ~71's and the red/white/blue boats came in '73.
Chevy350 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chevy350 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-19-2016 at 10:32am
Looks like a good project, would love to have one.
1972 Mustang
relake View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote relake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-19-2016 at 11:23am
This looks like it will be an awesome project to follow, good luck!
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-19-2016 at 12:53pm
Pull a valve cover and check the head casting numbers. I am curious what factory 340 marine used.

Get that diablo ski club sticker reproduced. That's wicked cool.
illiniball2000 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote illiniball2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-19-2016 at 1:17pm
This is going to be a fun project. I would love to come check it out when you get her settled and start working on it.
Congrats!
Beer is my friend
87 Dominique
Had 67 Starflite
bkhallpass View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-19-2016 at 1:24pm
Originally posted by phatsat67 phatsat67 wrote:

Pull a valve cover and check the head casting numbers. I am curious what factory 340 marine used.

Get that diablo ski club sticker reproduced. That's wicked cool.

They probably don't make that exact decal any longer, but Diablo Ski Club is still around. Over 50 years old now. About 15 minutes from my house, by boat.

BKH
Livin' the Dream

phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-19-2016 at 2:03pm
That's pretty neat. Artwork was so much cooler back then for logos and such.
skutsch View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skutsch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-19-2016 at 3:44pm
So is the doghouse supposed to be some sort of yellow, or orange to match the rest?
skutsch View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skutsch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-19-2016 at 3:46pm
BTW - Chris, I am pretty sure I remember my doctor saying something about no repetitive motion like sanding. Yep he was pretty specific about that...
SWANY View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote SWANY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-19-2016 at 4:00pm
Originally posted by skutsch skutsch wrote:

BTW - Chris, I am pretty sure I remember my doctor saying something about no repetitive motion like...

Wait for it....
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-19-2016 at 4:02pm

So is the doghouse supposed to be some sort of yellow, or orange to match the rest?

It is suppose to match the boat. There is a lot of sun fading on the doghouse, and more cracks than any of the other gel.

BKH
Livin' the Dream

Chevy350 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chevy350 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-19-2016 at 4:05pm

Should be orange, I can't tell if I'm seeing it correct, but that looks like a motor box from the yellow promos.
1972 Mustang
storm34 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote storm34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-19-2016 at 4:40pm
Looks orange to me! Just very faded.

reidp View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reidp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-19-2016 at 8:37pm
Congrats Chris!
My favorite pic you posted is actually the one of the block with the "340" suffix. I was just hoping that the engine hadn't been falsely identified or replaced sometime back in it's history. I'll keep my fingers crossed that she spins over and is a keeper, as it's the first Promo I've seen that actually came with a 340. So welcome to the Promo Club (I'm now a member by virtue of the one Tim Benj, Joe and Uncle Todd and I picked up), and we'll look forward to seeing your progress.

ReidP
1973 Mustang

Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frankenotter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-21-2016 at 1:03pm
Awesome, thanks for the story Dan! I wonder if anyone at Diablo knows Don McClelland.

1999 Ski Nautique 196
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frankenotter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-21-2016 at 1:05pm
Originally posted by bkhallpass bkhallpass wrote:

It is suppose to match the boat. There is a lot of sun fading on the doghouse, and more cracks than any of the other gel.

BKH

Yea the doghouse is in bad shape. Spider cracks on the top and very very faded. I'm guessing the gel wasn't applied as thick as it was on the hull.
1999 Ski Nautique 196
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frankenotter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-21-2016 at 1:09pm
Originally posted by reidp reidp wrote:

Congrats Chris!
My favorite pic you posted is actually the one of the block with the "340" suffix. I was just hoping that the engine hadn't been falsely identified or replaced sometime back in it's history. I'll keep my fingers crossed that she spins over and is a keeper, as it's the first Promo I've seen that actually came with a 340. So welcome to the Promo Club (I'm now a member by virtue of the one Tim Benj, Joe and Uncle Todd and I picked up), and we'll look forward to seeing your progress.

Tanks Reid!

I cant wait to get it here so I can start investigations. I have an engine stand ready but where do you start with an engine that's has possibly been sitting for 20+ years? do you even try to turn it over with a little oil in the cylinders?

I think I forgot to mention in the first post, it has two popped freeze plugs.
1999 Ski Nautique 196
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-21-2016 at 1:15pm
IMHO, Yes you put marvel in the cylinders and try to turn it by breaker bar. .If it is going on a stand anyway, and it has two popped freeze plugs you take it apart. and get a look at it. if its super clean and oily inside you have to consider running it as is.   If its grungy or loose at all then you go down to the bare block and have it magnafluxed before you decide next steps.. If the boat was ready to go and it rolls over by hand I would probably be apt to just get it running and see if it makes water in the oil.
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
skutsch View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skutsch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-21-2016 at 1:32pm
Thanks Joe - this is the kind of stuff / advice we are going to need... It looks like Chris and I will be working together on this rebuild, actually we will be doing two.. His will be a full engine mine is only half...

Chris maybe we should start an engine rebuild thread, probably two... Of course, let's get the boat back here first. We also need to look at your new found garage space. We may want to do the engines across the street as opposed to your storage facility.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-30-2016 at 6:34pm
Well, I think this boat is ready to hit the road. Wish I had a spare tire to throw in. Oh well. It's strapped down, lights work, tires are full of air. Let' see what happens. BKH
Livin' the Dream

Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-30-2016 at 6:46pm
I'll give it 100 miles.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-30-2016 at 7:37pm
Originally posted by Hollywood Hollywood wrote:

I'll give it 100 miles.

Well, I towed it about 50, no issues, and the hubs didn't even warm up.

BKH

Livin' the Dream

Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frankenotter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-30-2016 at 8:07pm
I would have liked to put HW's prediction to the test. Unfortunately, the truck driver's truck blew a transmission today. Looks like a 2 week setback.

Sigh........
1999 Ski Nautique 196
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-30-2016 at 9:09pm
In related good news, with the rent my wife plans to charge for garage space, I'll be buying a new SN200. BKH
Livin' the Dream

Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frankenotter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-01-2016 at 12:16am
Originally posted by bkhallpass bkhallpass wrote:

In related good news, with the rent my wife plans to charge for garage space, I'll be buying a new SN200. BKH

I'm pretty sure Joel got a 200 this year. I'll just start checking his garage for weaknesses. Not sure what color it is, but it might have some nice ski equipment included.
1999 Ski Nautique 196
storm34 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote storm34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-01-2016 at 1:08am

Chris maybe we should start an engine rebuild thread, probably two...

Yes X2. What is that half motor attached to?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   123 13>
  Share Topic