NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Original 60's mustang pictures

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
Author
Colint View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Colint Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Original 60's mustang pictures
    Posted: September-06-2016 at 10:55pm
I'm going to be restoring my dads 1966 mustang and was hoping people here may have some pictures off Mustangs that have not been painted or modified a lot. Thanks for any help. I'm really interested in how the two tone gel coat lines were separated.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-06-2016 at 11:29pm
Colin,
Do you know if any non original work has been done on the Mustang? Post some pictures of the 66 and we'll take a look at what you have to work with. What overall condition is it in? Stringers?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
wsavini View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wsavini Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-07-2016 at 12:32am
I'm also interested in the same pics. I just purchased a 1965 cc mustang to restore. the front seats in it look like they came from Bass pro shop for a fishing boat. ty
wsavini View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wsavini Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-07-2016 at 12:44am
would you guys know what size wheel bearings are on a original 1965 trailer? I'm thinking 1 inch but not sure. Need to pick up boat over 5 hours away and want to be prepared for all possible issue on the trip back.
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-07-2016 at 9:26am
Check the Diaries. There's tons of them. Our Mustang in my avatar is all original except for the flooring and front seats.
Colint View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Colint Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-18-2016 at 5:29pm

This is what it looked like when my dad restored it. Even after 25 years s most of the paint is still there but in really bad shape from the boys camp it was at.
Colint View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Colint Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-18-2016 at 5:33pm

This is the boat now.
Colint View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Colint Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-18-2016 at 5:35pm
turningpoint84 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote turningpoint84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-25-2016 at 3:36pm
Everything that I can see in these pictures looks original, except the 2 tone gel, I have never seen that before? That might be painted after, along with the accent lines, but i could also be totally wrong.

Really cool looking Mustang.
Proud 1968 mustang owner and now
1970 Mustang
Colint View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Colint Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-18-2016 at 12:31am
Restoration started!!
Colint View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Colint Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-18-2016 at 12:34am
No idea why pictures are upside down?
skyfuzz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skyfuzz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-20-2016 at 8:54am
I'm curious to know which boy's camp/lake this boat spent its life at? I owe my love for the '60's Correct Crafts to the boys and girls camps that were on the NH lake I spent summers on. They all used the Mustangs for their ski boats and I would gawk from the shore at how cool those boats were, vowing to myself that I must own one, one day.
Good luck on the restoration! The steering wheel doesn't seem correct on your boat. If it isn't original, please find one that is. They are out there! Maybe it is just my pet peeve but, you replace the original steering wheel, it throws all that restoration out the window!
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=7613&sort=&pagenum=1
Colint View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Colint Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-20-2016 at 1:10pm
My dad bought this boat in 1984 when I was three. He sold it in 94. It was purchased by http://kenwood-evergreen.com/ located in Wilmont, NH. I put info on social media this summer and a friend of a marine patrol officer told me where it was located and I was able to purchased it for a hefty price for its condition. Yes the steering wheel is wrong so if anyone has one I'm in the market!! I found one from the late 60's early 70's but I would like to find the original white two spoke!!
MartyMabe View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartyMabe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-27-2016 at 10:55pm
Originally posted by Colint Colint wrote:

My dad bought this boat in 1984 when I was three. He sold it in 94. It was purchased by http://kenwood-evergreen.com/ located in Wilmont, NH. I put info on social media this summer and a friend of a marine patrol officer told me where it was located and I was able to purchased it for a hefty price for its condition. Yes the steering wheel is wrong so if anyone has one I'm in the market!! I found one from the late 60's early 70's but I would like to find the original white two spoke!!

E-mail me--- I have 2 that need repair but will work .

mtmabe@northstate.net
66 Skylark
93 SN
If you're not living in NC, you're just camping out!
Colint View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Colint Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-28-2016 at 12:11pm

Some updated pictures. That's my son and Dad taking the emblems off. I think the stringers may have stopped dripping water now that we are about to rip them out.
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-28-2016 at 12:27pm
Great project. I bet your son and Dad are pretty excited about it!
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-28-2016 at 1:04pm
Colin,
Yes, as Bruce mentions, it's a fantastic son/father project (you too!!)

One word of caution: Those screws may have R&P (Reed and Price) heads. If you use a Phillips screw driver on them, you will bugger up the heads.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-28-2016 at 1:10pm
Learn something every day. Never heard of that and never knew there was a difference.

cbr1000dude View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cbr1000dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-28-2016 at 2:13pm
News to me too. I also work on Japanese motorcycles that have JIS (Japanese Industrial Standard) heads. A JIS screw head looks similar, and is often messed up with a Phillips head by a PO. Kinda works, but the right tip makes a big difference with old tight screws.
JIS have a tiny dot in the head next to the cross if you look closely.
Are these others (also called Fearson) bits available?
Colint View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Colint Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-28-2016 at 2:19pm
Thanks for the tip!! No pun intended!! Most of the screws are being replaced although we are saving everyone that comes off. I already got new decals from Art and they look amazing!! He also had the mustang decals for the dash.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-28-2016 at 2:57pm
R&P's are very similar to Frearson's. The bit's work on ether. I seem to remember way back one or the other made a slight angle change to get around the others patent. Insert bit's are available from McMaster or Jamestown.

Colin,
FYI, one of the closely inspected items in ACBS judging is if the restoration used the wrong type of screw!!!   

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
rolleronariver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rolleronariver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-28-2016 at 6:27pm
That's news to me about that screw driver too. CBR 1000DUDe I built and raced Japanesse bikes for years in the CMRA. In fact, I just sold my last CBR 1000 a couple months ago. It hurt to watch it go but I'm 37, married, with 2 kids and I wasn't enjoying driving from track to track every weekend I had off anymore. Lot's of great memories of dragging knees and wheeling out of corners. I still have a CRF 450 set up for supermoto that I get out on on occasion but I'm enjoying the boating life a lot right now too!
92 Sport nautique
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-28-2016 at 7:12pm
Pretty neat to work on a project with 3 generations! Great looking boat.
'63 American Skier - '98 Sport Nautique
Colint View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Colint Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-28-2016 at 8:18pm
Colint View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Colint Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-28-2016 at 8:20pm

One stringer out!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rolleronariver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-28-2016 at 8:33pm
Congrats on getting the stringer out in one piece. I didn't have so much luck. I noticed the fiberglass still on the side walls. I left mine on the side walls so that when I built the floor back I got it right back to the same height as before. It worked pretty good. That's a tough job but it feels good once it's done and you have a solid boat.
92 Sport nautique
Colint View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Colint Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-28-2016 at 9:17pm
Total weight of the foam taken out was 380 pounds! That doesn't include the buckets of water!How much do you think the foam really weights without water in it?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rolleronariver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-28-2016 at 9:22pm
I hear ya. I had so much water in my wood that it was coming out as I was cutting the stringers. I don't think I had foam that heavy though.
92 Sport nautique
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-28-2016 at 11:43pm
Originally posted by Colint Colint wrote:

How much do you think the foam really weights without water in it?

It's hard to say what CC used back then but the current flotation foam is 2lb per cu. ft. I would say it was pretty close to the 2lb.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
turningpoint84 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote turningpoint84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-30-2016 at 5:44pm
Is it just me, or does that stringer actually look like it's in pretty good shape? Why did you rip it out?
Proud 1968 mustang owner and now
1970 Mustang
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
  Share Topic