NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Question on used SPN

Post Reply Post Reply Page   123>
Author
pedricd View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pedricd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Question on used SPN
    Posted: September-01-2016 at 1:57pm
Sorry if this is the wrong discussion part of the site... please let me know if it is. I really want to get into a CorrectCraft if possible (MC or Bu maybe).

I have a couple of sniff test questions on a used 1992 SPN I'm looking at.

Interior redone by dealer 2 years ago, 375 hours on the boat.

Concerns:
1 - I understand ALL 1992 Nautiques had wood stringers, the guy claims that the SPN (or this SPN) does not... I don't think that's possible (but easy to check I guess). If wood but solid, would that deter you from this boat?

2 - has the PCM 5.8 HO Pro Boss... which means Pro Tech ignition AND I'm assuming it has EFI which would not be fun to replace (i'm assuming I would have to convert to carbed).

3 - It's always been stored out of the water *except* the last two years it has been in a slip during the summer months (stored indoors fall-spring)....should I be concerned about how much deterioration this could have caused over two years?

4 - Price: he's asking 12,800... I'm thinking it's probably worth more like 10k?

http://toledo.craigslist.org/boa/5748051355.html

Just trying to do a quick check to see if it's worth taking a look at....
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-01-2016 at 2:03pm
That's a high quality looking interior job. 2 years in the water isn't a big deal. The boat does look very nice, owner obviously knows how to tie it up well!

It does have the ProTec ignition but there is a carburetor under there, so all you'd every have to do is get a distributor.

I would definitely not be paying anywhere near $12,800. 10k seems much more appropriate.

The boat DOES have wood stringers.

SN usually means Ski Nautique to us. SP or SPN would clearly indicate Sport.
pedricd View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pedricd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-01-2016 at 2:05pm
Thanks for the quick reply! Yes sorry, I meant SPORT Nautique duh.... I'll try and edit...
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-01-2016 at 2:12pm
All gen1 sports are wood but that wouldn't deter me. It is not one of the more desirable cc hulls though, even 10k seems quite high. Make sure you ski it first to make sure it meets your expectations. No EFI until '94, that boat will be carb'd. Pro Tec is an ignition and engine protection system only.
pedricd View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pedricd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-01-2016 at 2:17pm
TRBenj - What would you think a reasonable price range would be then? I was concerned if it was EFI + Pro Tec as I understand you have to replace both if retrofitting.... If it's carbed then that makes that less of a worry.

I definitely care about resale and don't want to overpay unnecessarily...I figured there was a reason the boat hadn't sold yet :). I'm thinking he thinks that it is all composite, that the interior adds thousands along with the tower/low hours.... I'm sure it will be hard to bring him down....

And BTW, you guys are AWESOME...if I end up with a nautique this seems like a great community....
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-01-2016 at 2:21pm
Tower is subjective. To me it subtracts value.

There's definitely a carb there, as Tim said it would't be original without one but I can see it.

We're not just a CC community, savvy members with all makes and models come here for the truth!
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-01-2016 at 2:27pm
8k seems closer to reality... But the new interior (nice but missing factory logos), tower and the fact that it's at a dealer are all probably inflating the value in the sellers head.
JPASS View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JPASS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-01-2016 at 4:07pm

There are 2 1997 sports for sale in my area. 1 with 1345 hours is $9K, the other is asking $15500 with only 471 hours. Keep in mind these are all composite.

I agree with TRBenj in regards to the $8K price tag.

'92 Correctcraft Ski Nautique
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-01-2016 at 4:29pm
That is an 8k boat IMO. To just about everyone but the seller and Timmy, wood stringers are not helping it's value.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-01-2016 at 4:32pm
Wood stringers definitely do not help value. That said, worrying about the structure in a cradled SN is completely unnecessary, IMHO. Especially one that appears solid and well taken care of. You wouldn't believe the mushy boats held together just fine by that cradle. It's actually quite amazing. Don't be scared!
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-01-2016 at 4:36pm
And with an OB, would you need to pop the cap like Okie did on his Supra??
pedricd View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pedricd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-01-2016 at 4:37pm
Thank you guys! I started to hint to the guy that he was asking waaay too much (without trying to offend him).

My budget was around 12k (maybe a bit more depending) so if I can't swing the right price on that boat I'm still hunting for another CC, MC or Bu bowrider.

BTW - he just dropped to 10,500....

EDIT: Oops MC not MS... boy have I been screwing up abbreviations today!
Air206 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Air206 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-01-2016 at 5:15pm
There is a lot of value to a low hour, well cared for boat with near perfect upholstery. I think a $ 9-9,500 number is closer to its general value than the $8,000 number because there is a general preference to boats with towers (though not in this community on those boats)...... but I think you REALLY need to ride and ski that boat.

It will ride better and be more group/family friendly than you expect.... but it won't quite ski as well as you expect too. The trade-offs are personal choices and not CCFan or NADA determined values. It will definitely allow you to feel better about walking away from or walking toward this, or the next boat. Ski and RIDE it!
pedricd View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pedricd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-01-2016 at 5:44pm
He seems like he is his willing to come down...

If I haven't mortally offended him yet, I'll probably be test driving tonight.... I threw the 8k number at him (very gently) so I'll probably end up around 9k as you stated Air206...(he stated he was lowering to 10.5k OBO on Monday then next step would be to turning it over to a broker).

definitely dependent though on how the boat feels to me upon inspection/ride. It seems to fit what I am looking for...so unless I don't like the ride or something weird in the condition I'll probably jump on it...but I'm not afraid to walk away otherwise...

I don't normally do any pricing over email but he was soo high in his price I didn't want to waste each other's time...thank you all for your expertise!
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-01-2016 at 6:17pm
So as not to offend blame yourself for the lowball offer, call it all you have, all the little lady is letting you spend, all your mommy will give you, whatever works, heck, start crying if you think it will get you a better deal, whatever it takes, lmao
rolleronariver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rolleronariver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-01-2016 at 6:35pm
I purchased a 92 Sport this past spring for $8,500. My interior is a little more used then yours but still not bad. I love the wake for wake boarding and Wake surfing but, like these guys said, if you're into skiing I can understand where it might not be the best wake. The only thing mine has that this one doesn't is a nicer roswell tower and perfect pass. I'm not sure if this helps in the bargaining but it is a great boat. Mine also has more hours.

I did a lot of shopping before I bought mine. About 6 months worth and I got a good deal for $8500. Oh, I also have wood stringers. I've tested them by torquing down the engine bolts and they still seem solid. I wouldn't worry about them. If you're handy at all mechanically you can replace them yourself if you ever have trouble.
92 Sport nautique
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-01-2016 at 6:37pm
Howcome everyone worries about wood stringers but not engine hours?

"oh, that engine has 1,000 hours better plan on tearing it apart and rebuilding soon!"

df
Air206 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Air206 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-01-2016 at 6:55pm
Every Excel has wooden stringers (oops did I say that out loud?). I have seen soaked Excels with severely disbonded stringer fiberglass and heavy with soaked foam that had NO evidence of issues - No waterline gel cracks - nothing. There is so much good glass (and gel) in those boats that an engine cradle distributes the weight of the engine and the rest seems fine. It's shocking to look at how good the outside is and how bad the backbone is. Like Tim and HW said don't let wood hold you back too much..........
pedricd View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pedricd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-01-2016 at 7:07pm
rolleronariver - Thanks for that feedback. That makes me a lot more comfortable in the 9-10k range depending on how it is in person...

I'll let you know if I hear back from him... I might have to grovel! Ah well...
pedricd View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pedricd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-02-2016 at 10:32am
Going to go look at it today sometime, I work about 10 minutes from where the boat is (every other boat is a minimum of 1.5 to 2 hours away) and if we work it out and I like it might get it done today too!
Dreaming View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dreaming Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-02-2016 at 1:50pm
Cool!   keep us posted.   Be careful of the crazies out today!
pedricd View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pedricd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-06-2016 at 11:03am
So, I ended up going through with it! Just have been too busy with the logistics of and having fun with the boat! Ended at 9750 and think that was a fair price after checking it out and riding/driving the boat.

Used it all weekend and it was awesome. I didn't do any skiing but got to wakeboard and I felt better/stronger/less tiring wakeboarding behind this boat than I did behind an I/O even when I was 10 years younger. What a world of difference. Hopefully I'll get in some slaloming before the end of the season. Pulled the kids and some friends around in a triple tube too. All around very happy about it!

So...now for the "happiest days of owning a boat part"/my to do list:
1 - As I already knew, the hull was reaaaalllly grimey, I took it to a car wash immediately and got a good chunk of it off, but I'll be needing to scrub it with some chemicals (toilet boal cleaner/acid). Then buff/wax the hull. I may wait to do this until I'm done with it for the season.

2 - I clogged up BOTH speedo pitot tubes... Since there hadn't been a boat on that side of the dock for some time, the weeds were really bad and after making them into chopped salad the first couple of times, both previously working speedos stopped. I'll get in there with a small drill bit and clean 'em out. Lessen learned and shouldn't happen again (plus probably not good for the water pump/intake). impeller replacement will be done this fall regardless.

3 - The drivers seat is loose in the front from the floor. The guy always sat on the back of the seat when pulling wakeboarders and loosened it up :(.... Any advice here? I'm thinking either oversized screws or bolts or ???

4 - Fuel gauge is erratic, probably have a sending unit in the future, but this is low priority.

5 - I backed off the idle rpms a bit (they seemed high for my taste [1k RPM]). I backed it off to about 750 RPM with the boat not in gear, is that about right? It ran fine at lower rpm but didn't want to go too far while still playing around with the boat.

6 - The trailer... TBH, and it's my fault, this was the one part that I didn't get to inspect (the trailer was 25 minutes away at a marina). I probably could have gotten another 250-500 off the price based on it but ah well... It hadn't been used in 2.5 years. So...it has one bad wheel bearing (i'll probably replace both along with seals). It has some surface rust on the fenders and on some of the supports around the fenders (i'm sure from gravel chipping). Going to recarpet the two forward bunks (marginal). Also, not sure if there is supposed to be a hand crank to crank the boat onto the trailer, but there is a large ratchet strap there instead. My guess is there is supposed to be a crank at the bottom of the front stop support with the strap running through the guide (that is there) at the top of the support (I can see a spot there that looks like a mount?)?

Sorry for the mega-post, and some of this should probably be moved to another part of these forums?

Also, here is a pic of the kids in the driveway :) (after hosing down at the car wash). EDIT: Hosing down the boat not the kids ;)

MechGaT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MechGaT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-06-2016 at 11:36am
Nice looking boat! Enjoy!
'92 Sport Nautique
pedricd View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pedricd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-06-2016 at 11:44am
Thanks MechGaT, you too ;).. Hopefully I can get my hull looking like yours!
Blamey View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blamey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-06-2016 at 12:32pm
From the partial pic the trailer looks like a Ramlin. They usually use a metal turnbuckle as per the below pic to hold the boat on the trailer. You can get these at Nautique Parts.
96 Super Sport
Previously: 95 Sport Nautique, 1980 Ski Supreme
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-06-2016 at 12:40pm
That is an original correct craft trailer. Cc didnt sell off their trailer business to Ramlin until ~1995.
spiralhelix View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiralhelix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-06-2016 at 12:55pm
Congrats on the purchase! We really love our SpN for wakeboarding and agree with it not being a good wake for slaloming...but then again I'm not trying to run a course either, so to me it's just fine. If you want a boat to slalom behind...you will end up with two boats
-Spiral
'89 Sport Nautique
pedricd View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pedricd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-06-2016 at 1:21pm
Thanks guys!

I'm the same way... Primarily going to wakeboard behind it, slaloming on occasion just for fun :)
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-06-2016 at 1:52pm
I'm on my phone, so I'll pick an easy one.

1.) Dirty Hull
Bring your favorite brush, scrubby, or a long handle boat brush with you when you go to the lake. Also bring a mask and snorkel. When your out on the lake, between sets, or just relaxing, don your mask and snorkel and go to to town on the bottom.

Stuff comes off a lot easier when it's wet, and there's a lot more places you can reach without the trailer in the way.
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-06-2016 at 3:29pm

3 - The drivers seat is loose in the front from the floor. The guy always sat on the back of the seat when pulling wakeboarders and loosened it up :(.... Any advice here? I'm thinking either oversized screws or bolts or ???

This is the biggest possible issue. As this boat had wood used in its construction quite likely that is what is under those screws and is now rotting. Might be able to do a relative small repair in the off season. Trbenj did a relatively localized repair on his 90 SN that was documented here many years back ... best bet is to tackle it sooner than later and keep the boat as dry as possible in the mean time.
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   123>
  Share Topic