NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Question on used SPN

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <123
Author
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-22-2016 at 12:07pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

Pictures

We all agree that construction would be a bad idea... it would also be different than any previously seen, You should definitely post pictures of the bilge area and what you have found...
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
pedricd View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pedricd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-22-2016 at 12:15pm
Here is one prior to me cutting out the holes (bad hole, but that is wood at the bottom):

I had typed most of this up last night and just hadn't posted it yet, I ended up getting worried about having things "set" prior to weather coming (it's outside, covered, and I still have a few days before it's supposed to rain), so I've already plugged up the holes with the dowels. I should be able to break one or two free prior to glassing if you want to see what the bored out holes look like (or re hole saw it, they are just pressed in there with the thinned penetrating stuff and it's easy to make new ones).

Are you looking for pictures of other parts of the boat?
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-22-2016 at 12:44pm
yes step back and take pictures that show the boat with the motor box out maybe the back panel out ... don't take apart what you have done it sounds like a reasonable repair for the time being
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
pedricd View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pedricd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-28-2016 at 1:05am
Sorry... still haven't had a chance to pull the motor box and floor aft and it's going to rain the rest of the week :(. I have these screw on balls with a tether to hold the motor box hinge. Are you supposed to be able to unscrew them without removing the screw they are tethered to?

Here are some more pictures that I do have (not sure that it helps). I'll get some better full length pictures when I get a chance.

Things I've added to the list:
- I think the RMS is leaking (didn't find any oil when I checked out originally, but now that the bilge is completely dry and it has been sitting, some drops of oil in the bilge)...will have to dig more to confirm source
- Pitots NOT clogged, hoses broke off on outside
- Trailer may need master cylinder
- May need new rubber brake lines (electrical tape wth?)
- tires more dry rotted than I thought (especially now that the boat has been sitting on them)...not sure they have to be replaced yet but...

At least I got the wheel wells back from sandblasting and have those painted and ready to install...don't want to tow around without them
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-28-2016 at 10:48am
Originally posted by pedricd pedricd wrote:

I have these screw on balls with a tether to hold the motor box hinge. Are you supposed to be able to unscrew them without removing the screw they are tethered to?

There are no nuts they just stab through the floor.
pedricd View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pedricd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-28-2016 at 11:03am
DOH! thank you... I was working really hard trying to untwist...

Side note, looking at lifts as people are trying to dump them. For a SPN, I was looking at 3500# and up lifts... would a 3000# one work ok (boat is ~2700 right?)? Reason I ask is there is a guy selling a lift fairly cheap. It has a painted galvanized cover (I think it's "custom" :) ). He has the brackets to put bunks on it.

Here is the ad, would you guys consider it?:
link

My biggest concern is that the top is ugly lol...
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-28-2016 at 11:11am
Where did you see that lift is 3,000#? It looks like my old ShoreMaster 2500#, which held a Barefoot ok but not well. We eventually replaced it with a 4,000#

I wouldn't spend $900 for just the lift but it would work and I kind of like top...
pedricd View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pedricd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-28-2016 at 11:13am
Originally posted by Hollywood Hollywood wrote:

Where did you see that lift is 3,000#?

I ended up texting him and he said it was a 3000# lift, and told me the top was custom made... He could be wrong...
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-28-2016 at 11:51am
The top does look custom made.

If it really is a 120" inside/132" outside "pontoon" lift it is at least 3k.

Stainless cables are nice, and not cheap.
pedricd View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pedricd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-04-2016 at 5:08pm
I should be able to get some good photos tomorrow as I should have the boat back from winterization and at work....

I did not feel like attempting winterization myself yet, I winterize my tigershark (hehe) and the family pontoon every year but... I will probably try it next year, plus I wanted a so-called "pro" to look for anything I've missed and at least establish a mechanic I can trust (same place the PO serviced the boat at the last 2 years). It's earlier than I wanted to winterize (it's mid to upper 70s and sunny right now ugh)...but we're going on vacation soon and don't want to risk it. Anything additional to what the "pro" is doing I should check/do? I know the oil is being changed, trans fluid checked, engine fogged, stabil in fuel, alignment checked/adjusted, flushed with antifreeze...

I'm having them pull the prop as it has a couple nicks...in my research I think the ACME 1442 is a potential good replacement if I go new? Best place to purchase from? Current is an OJ prop (I forget the dimensions but will grab tomorrow) that I will either get reconditioned or just keep as a spare (it's not "bad").... I've checked out the prop replacement procedure thread and it doesn't look horrible to get it properly mated to the shaft.

Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-04-2016 at 5:20pm
Winterization is fully covered in the manual. Don't bother with the drain plug on the tranny cooler or the tranny, pull the hose off the cooler bottom and suck out the tranny fluid. Everything else could be done to their spec. If you get all the water out nothing will break over winter, everything else is maintenance. It's not complicated.

There should be plenty of info on the 89-91 stock 240 hp 1.23 transmission prop choices.

Keep the OJ as is and in the garage as a spare, you'll likely never want to use it again after getting the appropriate Acme.
Blamey View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blamey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-04-2016 at 7:15pm
Originally posted by pedricd pedricd wrote:

I'm having them pull the prop as it has a couple nicks...in my research I think the ACME 1442 is a potential good replacement if I go new? Best place to purchase from?

Delta propeller is a site sponsor. They generally have the best prices on ACME propellers I have seem plus you get 5% off with the code DP5CCF08
96 Super Sport
Previously: 95 Sport Nautique, 1980 Ski Supreme
pedricd View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pedricd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-06-2016 at 11:56am
I do have some alignment work to do, I had them just pull it apart (since I haven't had time) and it's pretty far off, I posted a picture prior of the drive shaft entering the hull, looking like it was centered in the log but like the hull hole was off... the hull hole is not centered, however, the strut *is* misaligned. It doesn't look bent to me but like it is shimmed crooked (you can see it at the plate where it attaches to the hull)? I'll get a picture of that later... I will check for straightness with a straight edge then shim it if it's ok, cutlass appears to be ok but I'll need to verify (prop is off)...I don't understand how I could turn it with a finger or two if that off? Or maybe I misunderstood...it didn't spin "freely" but with constant resistance.

Ok, here are some photos from yesterday to try and show the bilge etc (it all looks stock to me, and my "white" bilge comment must have been from using the flashlight on my phone and looking at the front of the bilge, otherwise I'm just on crack):

Is that fretting (eek) on the drive shaft from misalignment? Hope my tranny bearings are ok :(, there was no obvious vibration/noises and it shifts smoothly (EDIT: Included zoomed in picture):

Current prop is a 14x16 OJ 3 blade.

BTW, marina PO'd me pretty bad, they smashed up the front of my motor box, they are going to fix it (I'll be doing my own "maintenance" from now on...). Obviously slammed the box down without it aligned with the floor wedges:

So... I guess I like to learn the hard way. But I sure as hell know a LOT more about these boats now because of this site and going through the pain myself.
pedricd View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pedricd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-07-2016 at 4:47pm
Ok, here it is. I don't think I have fretting based on what I see (not a pro so please chime in)? I cleaned up the shaft and it looks much better.

Does it look like it's the hull mount/plate that's crooked or is this thing bent? Do I assume the shaft is bent?   

If I'm pulling the shaft...at that point I feel like I might as well pony up for an ARE... But if it is "ok" like it is, and I can monkey around pulling/fixing the strut etc... without touching the shaft then...

EDIT: Added these, first one shows right angle flush with hull, next shows up against plate... looks like the plate is not perpendicular(!!!) and the strut is at least relatively straight:

jimsport93 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jimsport93 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-07-2016 at 9:58pm
Strut looks bent to me.
fanofccfan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fanofccfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-08-2016 at 11:24am
+1 ^ Bent strut
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-08-2016 at 11:58am
Paul,
I agree with the others that the strut sure looks bent. Also, to me the shaft to coupling does look fretted. With a good interference press fit, there shouldn't be signs of rust at the bore. The only way to really tell is pulling the two apart and measuring.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Duane in Indy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duane in Indy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-08-2016 at 12:02pm
pedricd qoute   :If I'm pulling the shaft...at that point I feel like I might as well pony up for an ARE...

I will be posting pics of machining a single taper shaft into a double taper shaft in a few days. The tapered coupling is about $65.00. To machine a taper onto the end of the shaft is not a huge undertaking and most local shops have a lathe capable. Save $$ by converting your current shaft if it is straight
Keep it as original as YOU want it
        1978 Mustang (modified)
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-08-2016 at 1:07pm
Originally posted by Duane in Indy Duane in Indy wrote:

I will be posting pics of machining a single taper shaft into a double taper shaft in a few days. The tapered coupling is about $65.00. To machine a taper onto the end of the shaft is not a huge undertaking and most local shops have a lathe capable. Save $$ by converting your current shaft if it is straight

Duane,
Fantastic idea! Don't forget the woodruff key and then lapping the two together.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
pedricd View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pedricd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-11-2016 at 2:00am
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Paul,
I agree with the others that the strut sure looks bent. Also, to me the shaft to coupling does look fretted. With a good interference press fit, there shouldn't be signs of rust at the bore. The only way to really tell is pulling the two apart and measuring.

Yeppers (edit: image was flipped):

EDIT: Also, what is up with the holes being off square?:

Best bet to send the strut to Delta and order a new ACME from them at the same time (1442 is what I am thinking, currently have OJ 14x16)?

Order double taper shaft/ARE from where (with the potential fretting and possibly bent shaft I'm thinking I am probably better off just cutting the shaft off and putting an ARE in)? Shaft is still in the boat, so if I want to salvage I'll be needing to get some bolts to do the puller trick with the socket..
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <123
  Share Topic