NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Question on used SPN

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <123>
Author
pedricd View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pedricd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-06-2016 at 4:55pm
Are you sure those would be screwed into stringers/wood? Seems like a bunch of screw holes would be a water intrusion point even when not loose?

When I pulled one of the screws and looked at it there was no trace of wood on the screw or in the hole...but maybe I missed something? I will verify this tonight, if it *is* supposed to be into wood and there is any rot then yeah that's going to not be fun :(... My assumption was that it was just screwed into the composite floor (similar to prior plywood floored boats I have been on)....?
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-06-2016 at 5:12pm
Cant be sure cause that is a relatively low volume generation of that model and they could have done anything but generally in the wood stringer boats they used 1x wood stock under the fiberglass skin in the front section of the boats where the seats are. It doesn't do a whole lot but give them something to screw into... and yes its a bad place for water instrusion and became a common rot point.   It is always possible they were experimenting with something else under there on the late sports of that generation but I doubt it. My experience with the V drive footers/excels is that they didn't change anything in their construction materials when they went all composite with the ski nautiques
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
pedricd View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pedricd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-06-2016 at 9:26pm
Went up to the lake to grab the trailer to fix the bearings.

Checked the seat screw holes. Definitely all fiberglass/foam. Short screws that go just past the thickness of the fiberglass. No wonder they rip out (especially if abused). The 93s I think had a molded fiberglass base, that's probably why. I have an in between boat...

Pics attached, hole and obvious lame attempt by prior owner to use plastic wall anchors on two of the screws.

EDIT: Pictures uploaded, showing by far the worst hole and you can see the foam in there.... Two holes are like that, the rest are just stripped out a little bigger than the screw....

Donald80SN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donald80SN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-06-2016 at 10:47pm
Be careful with screw length. You can run a screw through the bottom of the bottom in that area if you are not careful. A fatter screw is a temporary fix to get you through the season.

Dang I just though about Quinner when I typed that (Fatter Screw).
1980 Ski Nautique SOLD Back to Cypress Gardens
2002 Sport Nautique, GT-40, FCT2, Cover Sports, Tower Bimini, Inc., Wet Sounds Audio System, Star Gazer Wake Edition S.
1968 Ski Nautique, Project.
pedricd View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pedricd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-07-2016 at 11:32am
Updated prior post with pictures

Yes, I checked inside the hole and there's maybe a half inch before you hit the structure. It's solid though and untouched by the screws that were there, so at least the guy didn't get longer screws and go into the hull!. I grabbed one of the screws so I could match up whatever I do with it. I'm thinking about epoxying something in there to add strength, maybe fill the holes with this and redrill: http://www.jbweld.com/products/marineweld-twin-tube

I would want to make the holes/screws/mount stronger than they were when new. So might make sense to add some sort of reinforcement (aluminum plate? not sure how I'd attach, perhaps cut out some carpet and screw in AND glue/epoxy to fiberglass).

I'm not too worried if I don't get to it right away based on the use it's going to get for the rest of *this* season. I just won't lean back!
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-07-2016 at 12:45pm
Paul,
Never-drops are shallow enough that you won't go into the hull plus utilize a machine screw. They are available in stainless as well. Forget the JB. They make the stuff for the DIY back yarder!

Here's a link to the back yard stuff!! FYI, ANY epoxy that doesn't require precise mixing is weak.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
MechGaT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MechGaT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-07-2016 at 7:17pm
On my '92 the rot seemed to start at the passenger seat base screw holes. There was a thin piece of plywood under the fiberglass skin. I realized during the disassembly that the screws were different sizes. It now makes sense that someone was trying to get into solid material. Based on my boat's serial number it was made in late '91 so they could have changed the construction, but don't be surprised if you find out later there is wood under there to screw the seat base down.
'92 Sport Nautique
pedricd View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pedricd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-07-2016 at 11:45pm
You have a lot more experience with it than I do. I looked really hard for wood and dug around and couldn't find any. Super thin floor with foam directly underneath is what I thought I found. Maybe I mistook wood for fiberglass or will find it in another hole. The floor feels completely solid so hopefully if there is wood and no sign of rot if I patch and seal it properly there won't be an issue. I'll know fully after completely removing the seat.

Also fwiw, last 4 digits of the serial number are E292 which I understand means May of 92 model year 92.
lewy2001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lewy2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-08-2016 at 12:05am
That carpet does not look like original Correct Craft fitment.
More than likely somebody has been there before you. I suspect rotted wooden floor panel may have been removed and replaced with foam and thin fiberglass floor that you now have.
If you're going through hell, keep going

89 Ski

<a href="http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=5685" ta
pedricd View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pedricd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-08-2016 at 10:26am
That's interesting... I asked the PO about the carpet since it looked so nice. He said he did not have it replaced. It had been stored completely dry until the last two years..and it only has 380 hours...so it's possible the carpet is orig. He also claimed the guy he bought it from (5 years prior) said the boat had composite stringers...which I questioned but since the stringers were solid I didn't worry about it. Either CC was transitioning the hulls to all composite in prep for the 93 model OR...maybe the guy he bought it from had stringer rot and had the floor and stringers redone....haven't seen anything that would indicate this...but I haven't been looking for it either... I'd love to find a contact at CC to ask if they have that detailed of information/build info by serial number....
Blamey View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blamey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-08-2016 at 12:04pm
Originally posted by pedricd pedricd wrote:

Either CC was transitioning the hulls to all composite in prep for the 93 model Or... I'd love to find a contact at CC to ask if they have that detailed of information/build info by serial number....

Since the '93 sport was a new hull design, I highly doubt that they built any '92 hulls using composite stringers. Never heard of them doing that on the ski's where the hull didn't change.

96 Super Sport
Previously: 95 Sport Nautique, 1980 Ski Supreme
pedricd View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pedricd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-08-2016 at 12:32pm
I know, conventional wisdom and their literature states that only starting in 93 did they go all composite... I should be able to figure this out by looking more closely at the boat but I won't have access until this weekend. I'm NOT drilling into the stringers to find out however... :).. Based on what I saw in the flooring, it seems like it *could* fit the integrated floor/stringer/hull construction...

Fl Inboards, in another thread stated:
"Actually their are a number of 91 and 92 Ski Nautiques out their with Composite stringers. They came out of the Sea worlds and a few team skiers boats. I have a 92 that was Deena's team boat with composite stringers. "

http://www.correctcraftfan.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=15407

Sounds like it is very unlikely, but not impossible and he's talking ski not sport but...
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-08-2016 at 12:54pm

I know, conventional wisdom and their literature states that only starting in 93 did they go all composite... I should be able to figure this out by looking more closely at the boat but I won't have access until this weekend. I'm NOT drilling into the stringers to find out however... :).. Based on what I saw in the flooring, it seems like it *could* fit the integrated floor/stringer/hull construction...

Fl Inboards, in another thread stated:
"Actually their are a number of 91 and 92 Ski Nautiques out their with Composite stringers. They came out of the Sea worlds and a few team skiers boats. I have a 92 that was Deena's team boat with composite stringers. "

http://www.correctcraftfan.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=15407

Sounds like it is very unlikely, but not impossible and he's talking ski not sport but...

Direct link to composite stringer thread

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
pedricd View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pedricd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-19-2016 at 11:21am
Sorry for the gap, been busy! Some updates...

First, progress on the trailer
Before:

After (new bearings/seals, new bunk carpet, forward bunks new wood, ground rusted spots down and POR-15 plus top coat [everything appeared to be surface rust]):

I've removed the fenders and am getting the sandblasted because I want to completely remove the powder coat, Debating on going with diamond plate for the sides or back to carpeted wood (I could slap the original plywood on there but don't like the water retention....).

Also, have cleaned up the hull of the boat (as best as I can on the trailer). Next is buff/polish/wax (gel coat appears to be in great shape but has a little oxidation towards the rear). I may pay someone to do it (buff + polish/wax I found a local place that does it for 12$/ft):

Now for the bad:

1 - You guys are right about the floor with the wood...someone may have been in there at one point and done a patch job towards the inside but it's doubtful... I pulled the seat completely last night in the dark and with the flash light I was able to check all of the holes. I did find wood... So, I'm trying to decide what to do with it. The floor appears to be solid, maybe a little soft just in the inside corner of the front-left of the seat. Would your suggestions be to cut it out and patch or should I even consider putting git rot in there? I've tried to find TRBenj's thread with the patch he did that someone alluded to but have not been able to find it?

2 - Once I cleaned up the bottom of the boat some, I noticed something I hadn't before with the output shaft. Note this picture is before I did the thorough hull cleaning with chemicals:

Now, it appears to be centered in the log and comes out straight (it's hard to tell based on the angle of the camera and taking the picture at night). And again, with some resistance, I can turn the prop with one finger (I still want to do an alignment). However, you can see that at least at some point, the shaft has rubbed against the hull. You can also see what looks like a manual routing out towards the back of the hull. I'm wondering if this came like this from the factory or, more likely, someone replaced some components and didn't center everything with the hole??? Should I be concerned about this?
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-19-2016 at 11:51am
On the trailer steps, the slickest replacement I've seen is plywood coated in bed liner. Looks just like the original black carpet unless you look very closely- but no water retention. I am going to try vinyl coated ply (black nautolex) first since I already bought it. I'm just not excited about paying $100 for a sheet of 10' ply.
Air206 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Air206 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-19-2016 at 12:11pm
I did steel diamond plate...... it's nice, but noisy. I guess there's more flexing of the trailer that the wood dampens, esp on a heavier BFN. Wanted to do aluminum diamond plate like Marty's idea but wayyyyy too costly.
I agree with Tim, the bed liner coated plywood looks pretty good on Donald's trailer.
Dreaming View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dreaming Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-19-2016 at 2:21pm
I made a full size PDF of the pattern for those trailer steps once...   If you PM me your details, I'll see if I can find it and send it to you
MI-nick View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MI-nick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-19-2016 at 3:07pm
i just re-did trailer steps on my '99 SAN trailer with this from overton's. came out really well. used every bit of 2 quarts. had to clean the plywood really well and use a roller...we'll see how it holds up...
As far as I can tell, I'm not quite sure...
pedricd View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pedricd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-19-2016 at 5:22pm
Dreaming - that would be awesome! I don't think I need it yet (I have the originals and one is completely in tact and the other snapped in one spot when I was moving it around so I think I can still use those as templates)... I'll still PM you for them just in case.

I am thinking about 3/4" exterior ply with the bed liner/rubberized coatings (thanks for the Overton's tip). Do you end up coating top, sides AND bottoms or leave the bottom open to "breathe" (paint where it sits on the brackets tho)? I think it's a good idea as I don't like the idea of a big rattling piece of steel back there...although it would look pretty nice. I'm guessing you sand down/route the corners to give the ply a more rounded edge?

I'm thinking about ordering git rot to make sure the floor is solid around the driver seat as a preventative...Is that worth it based on my prior descriptions or should I just plan to rip it out? Do I need to worry about the stringers being hurt by the floor or is it purely there for seat mounting purposes? I don't want to open a can of worms that's unnecessary by tearing into there...but I also don't want to create a much bigger issue down the line.

Again, thanks for everyone's help on this boat so far...

Air206 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Air206 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-19-2016 at 5:29pm

....... I don't want to open a can of worms that's unnecessary by tearing into there...but I also don't want to create a much bigger issue down the line.

Oh, you are going to open a can of worms.... the floor is a sign. If this boat is a keeper and your family can use it for YEARS, tear into it. Otherwise, patch it, smile and enjoy. Rarely is rot confined to "just a little spot"...........
fgroce View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fgroce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-19-2016 at 9:37pm
Hi I was looking into doing stringers on our 88 2001 and Cpes from the rot doctor. They had a real good article about treating plywood with and leaving it out in the weather for 3 years and still looked good. I ordered some to shoot up into the a platform mount holes and to try out on some wood pieces. Have to see how it does.
FGroce
88 Ski Nautique
For 28 years
Now 2002 Ski Nautique
Donald80SN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donald80SN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-19-2016 at 10:11pm
Originally posted by Air206 Air206 wrote:

I agree with Tim, the bed liner coated plywood looks pretty good on Donald's trailer.

Guys, I am so flattered that you were impressed by my wood.

I wish I could of taken credit for the idea but the previous owner is an Engineer and he had several cool ideas like this that he had done to the boat and trailer. The bed liner is covering 3/4" plywood (Marine Grade maybe) and the liner covers the edges and covers only about two inches onto the bottom of the plywood. It repeals water very fast and gives your bare feet a nice texture rubber like traction when working with the wet trailer at launch and loading. It looks just like the black carpet. Basically, the bottom of the plywood is not covered with the bed liner coating. Maybe I can swing by the indoor storage center where she is kept to take a few quick photos latter this week.

I just wish some of the ladies had noticed my fine wood.

Donald
1980 Ski Nautique SOLD Back to Cypress Gardens
2002 Sport Nautique, GT-40, FCT2, Cover Sports, Tower Bimini, Inc., Wet Sounds Audio System, Star Gazer Wake Edition S.
1968 Ski Nautique, Project.
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-20-2016 at 9:49am
Nice work Cousin Donald, key point here is encapsulating your wood in rubberized protection before dipping to ensure your wood will not get soft prematurely
pedricd View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pedricd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-20-2016 at 11:19am
Originally posted by quinner quinner wrote:

Nice work Cousin Donald, key point here is encapsulating your wood in rubberized protection before dipping to ensure your wood will not get soft prematurely

Agreed. If you reaaaallly want to make sure, you could always glass it...

I know I'm obsessing about the seat floor but I want to be sure I get this right before I button it up/fix it. I'm hesitant to tear it up too much so I've been careful about my poking and prodding... I think I'm going a little crazy, but I think I have a theory now on what I think is going on, and why it's been perplexing me (wood vs fiberglass/foam composite).

Originally posted by lewy2001 lewy2001 wrote:

That carpet does not look like original Correct Craft fitment.
More than likely somebody has been there before you. I suspect rotted wooden floor panel may have been removed and replaced with foam and thin fiberglass floor that you now have.

I think this may be what's going on... The only stuff I could find that appeared to have wood was directly along the hull. The holes starting in the front middle of the seat to the inside of the boat (basically the upper left corner to half way down the inside) are where there are actual holes in the fiberglass and where the guy put some cheapo anchors in to try and hold it down. The floor is solid here (I think I can compress the floor very slightly on the inside corner). When I look and poke around in there, I can't find a void where wood should be around the hole or any wood remnants, only about 1/2" of foam coming directly up to the bottom of the fiberglass. It is also bone dry (at least the 1/2' of foam that I can see). When wood is there how thick is it normally (1/4", 1/2"?)? When wood is used, I'm assuming that there is foam all the way up to it? On the front left corner, there is solid fiberglass approximately 1/2"-1" below the hole. Sorry for all of the questions, I just haven't been able to find pictures of a cross section of a glassed wood floor in this boat vs a foam backed fiber flooring replacement...and I know a lot of you guys have experience tearing into this stuff.

Originally posted by Air206 Air206 wrote:

... If this boat is a keeper and your family can use it for YEARS, tear into it. Otherwise, patch it, smile and enjoy...

My plan is it's a keeper (~10 years). My kids are 3 and 7, my brother's are 5 and 7 and they will be the primary consumers. The gel is in great shape (I only could find one scratch on the back left corner, no spidering/cracking etc..., some oxidation), motor only has 380ish hours, two year old interior.

So, I've ordered some git rot just in case and to treat any wood in the holes that I believe have it. Do you guys have any advise on epoxy/resin I could mix with something to help fill up the holes? I could use the git rot mixed with something like saw dust...but I'm thinking there's probably something better. I'm going to epoxy in whatever I am going to use to reinforce the larger holes and to try and seal them...the holes that are not stripped (or stripped badly) I'm going to plug, fill and redrill. I may also drill two additional holes in the front of the seat for added strength.
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-20-2016 at 11:38am
It is starting to sound complicated and expensive so at this point I would say tear it out and do it right.   The floor under the seats was likely the same 1X stock they made all wood stringer boats I have every seen. You are probably right that it has been repaired before... question is was it really repaired and the only problem is how he attached the seats, or was it not repaired at all or very poorly. I wouldn't waste git rot stuff on it, as unless there is dry but spongy wood down there that product wont do you any favors, Us composites sells epoxy, the minimum repair I would recommend is to get some cloth and get a hole saw and screw out some one inch plugs an inch or so deep on the holes no where near the side of the hull. If you like what you see in those holes fill them in with plugs and go over them with some layers of fiberglass... if you find wet wood then pull up the whole area under both seats dry out and repair in the off season.
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
pedricd View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pedricd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-20-2016 at 12:58pm
I'm making it complicated :)... I think some people might just hack it together and call it good. And sorry if I'm being overly verbose/stream of consciousness here, but I value all of your opinions and advice here to sanity check me.

The holes that had stripped out/had anchors placed in them definitely don't have 1x (3/4"?) stock in them... I can't find any soft spots *except* a slight bending in a small spot where I believe it is all composite, everywhere else there is no give at all...everything appears to be dry and the git rot is more for since I'm in there it can't hurt to try and seal up the wood I believe is in some of the screw holes... (I'm not planning to add additional holes in the floor to add git rot and not looking at it as a "fix" for a soft floor, just a preventative). Nothing at all loose or soft on the passenger side. I think that the floor was replaced, and just screwed through the fiberglass with 0 reinforcement. Combine that with the guy admitting he sat on the back of the seat when pulling and I think that it just couldn't take the leverage. I agree with you that the correct repair is to take the 3-4 bad holes (ranging in size from 1/4" to maybe one that is 1/2") bore them out (checking for material to see if there is something worse) and then fill/epoxy/glass and redrill.
Air206 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Air206 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-20-2016 at 2:31pm
If the floor was replaced in the last few years, that seat shouldn't strip out - even with some dude sitting on the seat back....... unless there's cancer. Fix it up for now but be on the look out...... few people go through changing a floor for fun. And if it's new-ish, it should hold up for several years.
pedricd View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pedricd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-20-2016 at 3:06pm
Got it. PO said he didn't replace the carpet or floor and he owned it 5 years. So if redone > 5 years.
pedricd View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pedricd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-22-2016 at 11:44am
Based on your recommendations, I grabbed a 1" hole saw and ended up cutting 7 holes out. My findings are this:

- There has been no "patch" job done that I could find (consistent fiberglass/material throughout)
- The construction appears to be bare plywood with 1/2" of foam on top of that with fiberglass on top of the foam (floor is floating on top)
- Since I only had to go through a thin piece of fiberglass to investigate, I cut out two of the holes near the hull. The wood did not extend all the way to the hull and is not glassed to it...(bare wood)
- Some of the holes (especially towards the back of the seat) have clean "brand new" looking wood in them (the screw hole itself was torn up).
- Others were marginal but were solid and appeared to be dry
- there is one "bad" hole, with some rot, the wood is still "there", rot was clearly tied to the screw hole and extended laterally a couple of inches on both sides about a 1/4" wide.

MechGaT - I found your thread on the stringer job you did on your 92 SPN (thread). Great pictures and info, and if I end up there at least I have good reference.   That's the only example I've been able to find of someone tearing apart a 92 SPN... Does my floor construction sound at all like yours?

Also, I see that my bilge and every exposed area below the floor is pure white and yours appears to be grey/black? Wondering if that's stock on mine... I also have a round plastic "hatch" behind the engine for access to the output shaft/coupler. Again, the PO stated that the guy he bought it from said it had composite stringers...I'm wondering if it's had a stringer/floor job once already...assuming everybody *knew* what they were talking about and were being honest.

So, what I'm doing for now is digging out the bad wood I found in the one hole (already done this, did not have rot all the way through), drying it, filling it with CPES and plugging all of the holes with 1" CPES soaked dowel rods after putting CPES in every cut out hole for good measure. Then I'm putting some fiberglass over the top of each hole, drilling and remounting the seat. This will then let me see if I have time/the location to rip out the flooring this winter or not. If not, I'm sure it will hold for at least a couple of seasons while I figure it out.

In any event I think it's a terrible idea to have fiberglass, with a foam filled void, then bare wood THEN put a screw through that...would that really be stock? The fiberglass would flex up/down around the screw, opening the hole more and more and allowing even more water in than a wood backed fiberglass....
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-22-2016 at 11:58am
Pictures
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <123>
  Share Topic