NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Help With Trailer Decision!!!

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Dgee View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dgee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Help With Trailer Decision!!!
    Posted: August-24-2016 at 5:50am
So the trailer on my 93 Sport is destroyed from the pervious owner launching in salt water, completely rotted from the inside out and definitely not rebuildable.

I'm going to be purchasing a new trailer tomorrow from a dealer that had a few hold over trailers both 2009's made by Ez-Loader.

He has a 206 trailer that's a single axel that looks like it should fit the boat really well with little to no modification, it's a little rough but a solid trailer.

He also has a 210 tandem axel trailer that is MUCH nicer than the single axel 206 trailer for only a few hundred dollars more.

Obviously I'd prefer the tandem axel trailer that's much nicer and in quite a bit better condition than the single 206 but I'm concerned about how it'll fit the boat, and how much modification it would take to fit the boat properly. My other concern is if I were to go with the tandem 210 trailer is the tongue weight since it was made for a V-Drive boat, my tow vehicle is a 2009 Land Rover which is obviously more sensitive to tongue weight than say a F350 or other full size truck.

So any help or advice would be greatly appreciated! I have to purchase one of these two tomorrow as the trailer my boat is currently on isn't even towable at this point beyond getting it down to the launch to swap to a new trailer.

Duane in Indy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duane in Indy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-24-2016 at 7:22am
My suggestion would be to trailer to the dealer and have him set the boat on one or both trailers and see how they fit. Adjustments could be made there. It is my "guess" that neither trailer will fit without moving the axle forward. Most direct drive boats have weight forward that most boats don't experience. Look at most DD trailers and you will see that the axle is near the center point. Just remember, both have 6 year old tires.   JMO
Keep it as original as YOU want it
        1978 Mustang (modified)
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-24-2016 at 7:41am
Christian,
One thing I feel you should consider is how you plan on using the trailer. A tandem axle will trailer better on the highway especially on long trips but will not be as maneuverable in tight cornering such as getting it into your garage. This is especially true if you do any tight cornering by hand off the tow vehicle.   

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-24-2016 at 10:31am
Measure from the back end of the trailer bunks to the center of each axle and see where the axle(s) will end up under your boat. measuring from the back end of the wetted surface. Ideally the axle(s) should by centered beneath the center of the motor. Hopefully the bow stop is adjustable as that will likely need to be moved. If the twin axle has the axles too far back it may have too much tongue weight and could not tow well.
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-24-2016 at 10:56am
The trailer bunks have nothing to do with where your boat's weight is. You must relate that distance to the actual end of the boat.

I haven't seen an EZ-Loader under an inboard that I liked, ever.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-24-2016 at 11:27am
I wouldn't care what the trailer dimensions aft of the axle are... Bowstop to axle will let you know if you can get in the ballpark in regards to tongue weight. Skip the v-drive trailers, they'll be way off.
Blamey View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blamey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-24-2016 at 12:37pm
Put the boat on the 205 trailer and see how it sits on the bunks and test the tongue weight.

I used two cheap bathroom scales to measure the tongue weight as per the below image. You want the tongue to be 10 to 15% of the boat + trailer weight.

Sport is a 21ft boat the the 205 is 20.5 feet. I'd expect the boat to hang 6 inches off the back to of the trailer. I don't think this is an issue.

If the tongue weight is on the low side you may want to move the bow stop forward 6 inches (if possible). When I was testing the bow stop location on my trailer moving the boat forward 6 inches added about 75lbs to the tongue weight.

96 Super Sport
Previously: 95 Sport Nautique, 1980 Ski Supreme
Dgee View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dgee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-24-2016 at 2:02pm
Thanks for all the help guys, I've never had to deal with retro fitting trailer before. When I purchased this boat I was under the impression from the seller that the trailer had some rust but was solid for the most part, after driving 5 hours I arrived to find a trailer that was completely destroyed. It sucks because the current trailer is built by Ryan (local to me) and a top notch trailer that's extremely overbuilt and tows wonderfully.

If I wouldn't have gotten such a great deal on this boat with the crap trailer I would of walked away but after a good detail the boat is beautiful with only 419 hours.

Unfortunately the trailers that I'm looking to purchase are about 700mi from where I'm located so I'm basing my decision on pictures. The trailer will be shipped on a flat bed to my house. It sounds like the single 206 trailer is the best option, which is what my gut feeling was. It's priced right and it'll get the boat back on the water, I really just want to be able to enjoy the last of the summer with my family before the weather comes.

I'll ask the dealer to measure the distance on the axel, I'd definitely rather move one axel than two if it's necessary.

This is the 2009 206 trailer.

The 210 tandem (Just found out it's a 2007)

they also had this 2008 211 trailer which I think would be way too big for my boat...

Thank you again got all of your help, I'm just trying to get back to more of this!

Air206 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Air206 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-24-2016 at 2:08pm
Since she looks to be naked on the swim platform, we are all happy for you! LOL

The Ram-Lin 206 trailers have full bunks on the wishbone for more support of the bow area.... but on a 93 Sport, who knows. Make sure they supply the missing boat guides as that will be an added expense.....and brake line flush (esp on a trailer that been sitting around) ....... and brake pads......and bearings greased.....and working lights........etc.

If you are going through this to get on the road, make it ready to roll with no lookin' back!
Dgee View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dgee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-24-2016 at 2:34pm
Haha, she's got her bikini on and not peeing off the back (what my father asked when he saw the picture)

I know most everyone loves their Ramlin trailers but I personally hated the one that came on my old 210.

They have told me they have the guides in storage and will be shipped with the boat so no worries there.
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-24-2016 at 2:40pm
The bow stops on those do not look adjustable. If they do not work as is you could fab something up to extend them.

Will say that type of bow stop is a PITA if you do not power load and when launching on steep ramps. On my trailer it tears up the pin tape, at times about wants to rip the rub rail off and when floating on the bow can end up under it. I am changing mine to crash pads because of all that. Only down side on crash pads can be cover interference.
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-24-2016 at 2:56pm
I agree with Quinner on the bow roller. It's really not great for loading and unloading our types of boat, which are typically low in the front. Mine requires some finesse to keep the bow from coming in under the roller when loading the boat on.

I'd be curious to see your crash pad retrofit. I'd like to do the same.
Air206 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Air206 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-24-2016 at 3:05pm
Originally posted by quinner quinner wrote:

The bow stops on those do not look adjustable. If they do not work as is you could fab something up to extend them.

Will say that type of bow stop is a PITA if you do not power load and when launching on steep ramps. On my trailer, it tears up the pin tape, at times about wants to rip the rub rail off and when floating on the bow can end up under it. I am changing mine to crash pads because of all that. Only down side on crash pads can be cover interference.

+1

Ramp steepness makes this a greater issue. On REALLY steep ramps, I have the same loading problem with the bow V catch, the crash pads and the spare tire on the Ram-Lin on the 206.

Steep ramps will point out all the loading issues with trailers.............
Dgee View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dgee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-24-2016 at 3:41pm
I agree about the bow roller, I'm definitely not a fan. In fact I'll probably cut the stop off of my current trailer and retro fit it to the new trailer since it's about the only part that isn't covered in rust in holes lol.

This is what my current trailer looks like, keep in mind the seller originally told me the trailer had some rust and was in need of a rebuild... I've been restoring cars for over 20 years and I've never seen something as rotted as this trailer, it's actually quite impressive what saltwater can do to metal.

Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-24-2016 at 3:47pm
yeah, tube frame plus salt = death
Jonny Quest View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonny Quest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-24-2016 at 6:32pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Christian,
One thing I feel you should consider is how you plan on using the trailer. A tandem axle will trailer better on the highway especially on long trips but will not be as maneuverable in tight cornering such as getting it into your garage. This is especially true if you do any tight cornering by hand off the tow vehicle.   

Don't let the double-axle give you grief. If you need to maneuver inside your garage, I recommend using wheel dollies. I have a double axle trailer and push my rig sideways inside my garage for the perfect fit. I have a floor jack and a 6 X 6 block and I can remove/set the dollies in under 3 minutes.

JQ
Current
2003 Ski Nautique 206 Limited

Previous
2001 Ski Nautique Open Bow
1994 Ski Nautique Open Bow

Aqua skiing, ergo sum
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-24-2016 at 10:56pm
Originally posted by Air206 Air206 wrote:

Since she looks to be naked on the swim platform,

1st thing I thought as well......

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
Donald80SN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donald80SN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-25-2016 at 10:42pm
My suggestion would be sit out the season. You have a very good looking sport there that needs a great looking trailer that fits properly. Wait for a Sport Trailer to come along, which could be tough to find, or order a new one from Boat Mate since you are not a fan of Ramlin, Inc. . Since you are on the West Coast, go with one of the West Coast trailer mfg companies. Do it right the first time and only do it once. Do not go hacking and then painting the changes of the not so right trailer. At the end of the day, you will have found that for just a few more dollars, you could of had a new trailer with the proper fit. This fit will make a world of difference at the ramp loading and unloading and will do that good looking sport justice. I have a 2002 single axle Ramlin under my 2002 Sport that I love and I could provide you the serial number to order one from Ramlin to fit your hull nicely, but I understand you do not care for the Ramlin. You will be able to find someone on this site or Planet Nautique with a Sport or Air on a different acceptable brand that can pull a serial number so the maker can reproduce the trailer again for you. Now lets see more bikini shots.
1980 Ski Nautique SOLD Back to Cypress Gardens
2002 Sport Nautique, GT-40, FCT2, Cover Sports, Tower Bimini, Inc., Wet Sounds Audio System, Star Gazer Wake Edition S.
1968 Ski Nautique, Project.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic