NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

1st Generation Ski Nautique Roster

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 2345>
Author
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-21-2016 at 11:56am
I believe struts used on the 60's Cudas and Mustangs were 14 degrees as well, so sounds like 1st Gen SN used standard Correct Craft hardware?
ArtCozier View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ArtCozier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-21-2016 at 3:18pm
I never got deeply involved with early models other than the SN, but given the financial condition of the Company in the '60s, I would bet that they used as much shared hardware among the models as possible. Of course, when you're building a boat from scratch, you can always "adjust" things like a shaft log angle by adding a little bit of glass and cloth here or there!
"Art"
ForestB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ForestB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-21-2016 at 5:02pm
I cannot find a 14 degree shaft log anywhere , what would you guys say is the best way to go from here
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-21-2016 at 9:18pm
Originally posted by ForestB ForestB wrote:

I cannot find a 14 degree shaft log anywhere , what would you guys say is the best way to go from here

Get the 13 degree (link above to Buck Algonquin) and bed it to the hull 1 degree off. If you do go this route, remember to keep the shaft angle the same.

or, get a 14 degree offset log

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
ArtCozier View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ArtCozier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-22-2016 at 11:05am

okay just to get things clear I am a little bit clueless the transom would be ?
And any measurements for the SN would highly appreciated thanks !
Such a great group will definitely organize some donations

The transom is the rear of the hull, where the exhaust ports are.
"Art"
ForestB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ForestB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-15-2017 at 5:52pm
Hey guys so build is coming on slowly but surely , I need to put the new strut in now and the holes do not match the old one so how would I get the strut perfectly straight
ArtCozier View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ArtCozier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-15-2017 at 8:47pm
How far off are the old holes from the holes in the strut? What I'm thinking is that if the holes overlap enough to get small bolts through, you might temporarily install the strut and determine the exact engine placement by putting in the shaft to find the correct engine position. With the shaft in place, drill through the hull using the strut as your guide.

If the holes are far enough off that you can't get small bolts through, locate the strut, centering it on the hull and using the old holes as a guide, drill small holes in the hull and patch the old ones in the customary way with fiberglass, drill small holes to temporarily hold the strut, and proceed as above.

Remember that the important dimension is the distance from the face of the output flange to the front of the strut.

There are other ways to solve this, but this might be the easiest path.
"Art"
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-15-2017 at 10:53pm
Forest,
Don't worry too much about the engine at this time since it's adjustable. Do as Art mentions with some small holes holding the strut in place temporarily. The key to proper strut alignment is getting the prop shaft to be centered in the log. You will need to have the cutlass bearings in the strut and the shaft. Shims (stainless washers) may be needed between the strut base and the hull. When the shaft is centered in the log, it should turn freely and not be binding from the strut being off angle. Have you watched the alignment video that's lined in the FAQ thread?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-15-2017 at 11:13pm

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
ForestB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ForestB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-16-2017 at 8:38am
Problem is shaft log isn't in yet was hoping to get the shaft log in straight by using the strut , the wholes don't overlap at all , should I drill small holes in the strut to help me line it up or will interfere with the integrity of the strut
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-16-2017 at 9:39am
Forest,
I feel you will need to do some experimenting with positions of both the strut and log. The old holes in the hull for the strut fore to aft should be close. Center the new strut between them. Dry install the prop shaft in the strut and to the trans and see where the log sits in relationship to the old shaft hole in the hull.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Air206 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Air206 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-16-2017 at 10:06am
Forest - The shaft log can come off this boat for ya - but it's gonna be a while. Email me and maybe I can get measurements until then?

Click For Full-Size Image.
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-16-2017 at 10:13am
Steve, you junking that boat?

Forrest, you have a chicken or egg dilemma. Sounds like an original strut would make it a lot easier unless you are going to plug up the holes and start new from scratch. Maybe Steve has an original strut as well?
Air206 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Air206 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-16-2017 at 10:34am
Yes Bruce - I like to think of it as parting out, rather than junking. BAD stringers and BAD paint over checked gel. 318 was running last year (says PO) - we'll see what's up.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-16-2017 at 11:34am
Originally posted by Riley Riley wrote:

Forrest, you have a chicken or egg dilemma. Sounds like an original strut would make it a lot easier unless you are going to plug up the holes and start new from scratch. Maybe Steve has an original strut as well?

Both are SN Hulls and correct I will salvage the log and strut from the old hull

Forest,
Even with parts off the same model but different hull, things don't always line up as you are finding. Strut bases are a good example were holes are drilled without any precision. Proceed with caution keeping the shaft angle and alignment in mind. Post some pictures as you go.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-16-2017 at 11:53am
Originally posted by Air206 Air206 wrote:

Yes Bruce - I like to think of it as parting out, rather than junking. BAD stringers and BAD paint over checked gel. 318 was running last year (says PO) - we'll see what's up.

Boy, there aren't a lot of split cockpit SN's out there... I'm sure the gel on most/all those early glass boats is less than optimal. That and stringers alone shouldn't relegate it to "unsavable" status. So many run-of-the-mill boats in worse shape have been saved... Maybe consider offering it up to someone else willing to restore if you're not?
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-16-2017 at 12:03pm
Yeah, don't junk that hull. I'd be tempted to take it.
Duane in Indy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duane in Indy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-16-2017 at 12:04pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

Boy, there aren't a lot of split cockpit SN's out there... I'm sure the gel on most/all those early glass boats is less than optimal. That and stringers alone shouldn't relegate it to "unsavable" status. So many run-of-the-mill boats in worse shape have been saved... Maybe consider offering it up to someone else willing to restore if you're not?

Could not agree more with TRBen. Those are some of the coolest boats that CC built. My hull was far worse than that when I got it. Lots of hours and $$ later I am happy but a split cockpit would really be cool. Sure others lurking would feel the same and scarf it up if offered. Duane

Keep it as original as YOU want it
        1978 Mustang (modified)
Old skier View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Old skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-16-2017 at 12:14pm
If you put this boat out there; someone would take on the job of saving it. There are not too many center deck boats left. If the engine runs that is a good sign. These boat are not at all complicated. The fix, even for stringers is a lot easier than 2nd or 3rd generation SN. Also the windshield is unique.
Air206 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Air206 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-16-2017 at 1:42pm
Ok, come get it. Talk is cheap.   

Parting it out was going to supply some parts for and pay for some of the Al Tyll Skier rebuild. I am keeping the trailer - but I'll pass the '65 along to someone for what I got it for. I'll start a new thread/For Sale post.

I'll be happy to bring it to White Lake. Someone should bring an empty trailer and take it away.
Air206 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Air206 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-16-2017 at 3:30pm
Ok - For Sale listing is made........... make some offers. It would save me time and get a boat saved! Win-Win.
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-16-2017 at 3:50pm
Bruce and his band of ruffians, nice work!!! LMAO

Forget the for sale ad Steve, when these guys are finished you will have paid them to take it when delivering it to their door!!
Air206 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Air206 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-16-2017 at 4:03pm
Originally posted by quinner quinner wrote:

Bruce and his band of ruffians, nice work!!! LMAO

Forget the for sale ad Steve, when these guys are finished you will have paid them to take it when delivering it to their door!!

Yup - the parts posts will be going up after the sale ad comes down. It was time to donate to the site anyway. Nice to have a friend see through their baloney.

I was gonna get the mirror to Art. The company's boat can use it. THAT, I'd pay for.
ArtCozier View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ArtCozier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-16-2017 at 10:33pm
Thanks, Air206. Truthfully, there is a new mirror for the '61 at my house, and I plan to have it on the boat for the Masters. I will be making a new bracket for it as soon as I can get some help from the metal shop at CC.
"Art"
Air206 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Air206 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-16-2017 at 11:44pm
That's good to hear.      
Sad to say I'm gonna miss you at the Masters this year - another wedding!

Steve
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-17-2017 at 9:06am
So it's listed for sale and no longer needs CCFs to jump in and rescue it from the junk pile?   Good for you, someone will do right by it!
Air206 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Air206 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-17-2017 at 9:35am
No, Bruce you wrote that wrong. It's listed for sale AND needs CCFans to rescue it! Do you think some yahoo on Craigslist is gonna spend $15,000 restoring it? Nope, only one of us.

It is for sale here - either whole or in pieces. I was talked into saving the Al Tyll already and the folks who told me what I needed to do with it, are long gone There is a long hard, expensive road ahead for it. Not doing two, especially at the same time.

You have a few old trailers, bring one to White Lake and take it away. Rescue it.
(Sad music and Sarah Mcloughlin singing in the background).
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-17-2017 at 11:59am
Originally posted by Air206 Air206 wrote:

Ok - For Sale listing is made........... make some offers. It would save me time and get a boat saved! Win-Win.

Is there a secret password?? Perhaps a map done in invisible ink?? A link Pete has not corrected yet?? Maybe I just missed sumptin??

JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-17-2017 at 12:08pm
I have also yet to find the secret decoder ring... although no saving anymore basket cases for me until I retire... I am stripping and discarding the much less rare much less rare 72 marauder and 67 mustang hulls I have as soon as I get some time...
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
Air206 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Air206 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-17-2017 at 1:22pm
You guys in the secret society get boats through your own group. The rest of us pleebs do it like the general public. We post an ad. Then pay for the listing (yes everyone should pay Keith for using this site). Keith or Alison then approves the listing and makes the posting live. When it's live they email me. So, you'll see it when I see it.

You guys just wanna be nosey anyway. You have no real interest in it. If you did, you would call or email me to snatch it up for a brother-in-law deal. But I like the continued charade of interest. Its funny.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 2345>
  Share Topic