Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Trailer Hub/Axle Guidance

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
Author
spiralhelix View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiralhelix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Trailer Hub/Axle Guidance
    Posted: August-01-2016 at 2:21am
Well, We had the unfortunate adventure 40 miles from home this evening coming back from a long weekend up north. It happened right across from one of our favorite boat launches too    Thankfully there was no oncoming traffic and there was a good distance from the trailing car to avoid the tire as it was rolling down the highway (which, funny, came to rest about 10 feet behind the trailer after we stopped. It's a good thing i have a patient wife and 1 year old...the dog, not so much.

The interesting part, we had stopped at a rest area about 10 miles prior and the hubs were not hot at all (i checked both sides up and back every time we stopped).

Well, thinking i would just need to replace the hubs and breaks, I had it towed back to the house. Once home I got a shot of the spindle.

So that looks fried. This is my first experience with this particular job, so off to search and found these threads. 85 ski... and Tim's Thread.

Being unfamiliar, I just wanted to see what you thought would be my best options. I've never figured out what trailer I have, but you can see for yourself from my bunk issue .thread

Hx: New breaks and bearings when we purchased the boat in fall 2013. The work was done by a shop.

I'll be able to get more pics tomorrow morning if needed or provide any info that's needed. Thanks for any feedback.
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-01-2016 at 3:37am
I have known two guys that did the same thing with their boats. Both just bought a entire new axle and bolted it up.
It happens enough that Trailer supply stores keep them on the shelf if yours is a standard axle. Measure width of yours or take it with you when you go shopping.
There are also Marine Scrap yard that might save you some money on this part.
DayTony View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DayTony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-01-2016 at 3:53am
I replaced just my spindle once on an older trailer I had. It was not a nautique trailer. A much crappier one and there was no way I was buying a fresh axle for it. it would have cost more than the whole boat.
My local trailer builder sold me a weld in spindle at the time. So i got that, I cut the welds off the old one and popped it out. threw the new one in and was on my way.
It wasn't exactly a off the shelf part though. stuff like that falls into the category, "is this guy going to sue me because his welds break?" So depends how your local shop is.

Welch hitch in MA is who I go it from, however i just looked at their website and they don't have online parts catalog. They are also a custom trailer and metal work shop. so maybe find someplace that does similar work near you and contact them. In the worst case, your probably in the right place to order a whole new axle if they can't help you there.
1988 Barefoot nautique-454
DayTony View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DayTony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-01-2016 at 3:57am
Boom,
first google search. got to love google.
Remove your other side and get the calipers out. match it up
they are like $25-$50
weld in spindles

more

If you do wind up going this route You will want to align the wheels afterwards.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-01-2016 at 6:59am
I'm going with Marks idea that a complete axle assembly is the way to go. By the time you factor in the labor of cutting out the old spindle and welding the new one in, the complete axle will be less. They can be found very inexpensively.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiralhelix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-01-2016 at 12:54pm
Thanks Fellas! I agree that changing the axle is the way to go for a couple reasons: 1. I "think" I can do the work myself, 2. since it is at the house, i would have to tow it again to a shop (and that towing bill last night blew my mind).

I did a rough measurement this morning to help get me started with finding parts. I came up with 94" tip to tip, hopefully I'll be able to pull the axle tonight to get a more accurate measurement. Since I am already replacing the axle, left break, and left hub...would it be in my best interest to just replace everything on the right side as well and should I also change the leaf springs? Change to disc brakes?
Duane in Indy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duane in Indy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-01-2016 at 1:18pm

Since alot of you don't list your location it is hard to help much since a cheap item in Michigan is not so cheap in California or Australia
You are listed as: Joe Schmo and live in United States

If you are somewhere close to the place listed below then they may be able to help you at a reasonable price. They also carry hydraulic brake units as well as the electric ones listed. Closed on Mondays so I could not get a price for you. They have an excellent page on measuring your axle

TrailerRVparts.com
12195 US 12
White Pigeon, MI. 49099
US
Phone: 269-483-2814
Keep it as original as YOU want it
        1978 Mustang (modified)
Air206 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Air206 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-01-2016 at 1:26pm
Originally posted by Duane in Indy Duane in Indy wrote:

That's Mr. Schmo to the Newbies on the site.....
.............................................Signed Captain Obvious.........
Air206 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Air206 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-01-2016 at 1:31pm
Originally posted by spiralhelix spiralhelix wrote:

......... change the leaf springs? Change to disc brakes?

I like the discs on my '91 and '04 trailers.... but you will have to change the actuator for a drum to disc setup swap. Leave the springs alone as long as they weren't damaged and still work as leaf springs should.
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-01-2016 at 1:34pm
Wow, how'd you get the beans above the frank?

I would say the whole thing is now suspect.

Fresh Axle/brakes/hubs and have some peace of mind if you trailer frequently or far.
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duane in Indy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-01-2016 at 1:36pm
Originally posted by Air206 Air206 wrote:

That's Mr. Schmo to the Newbies on the site.....
.............................................Signed Captain Obvious.........

May well be, but there seems to be numerous people on this site with a multitude of spare parts laying around. They are more that willing to help if they thought that it was geographically feasible.      Duane in Indy
        1978 Mustang (modified)
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-01-2016 at 1:50pm

Since alot of you don't list your location it is hard to help much since a cheap item in Michigan is not so cheap in California or Australia
You are listed as: Joe Schmo

Duane,
Careful with trying to dig out names since we may some members who may be on the top 10 FBI wanted list! Also, don't call any of them "NG"'. That got me in trouble awhile back!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-01-2016 at 1:52pm
I couldn't find anyone willing to replace a spindle within a 2 hr radius... Just pony up for a new axle. That's a Dexter EZ lube, may not be cheap to replace with the high quality oem. It's a 5200lb axle btw. The 2 dimensions you'll need to spec it out are hub face to hub face distance and spring seat to spring seat distance. Nothing cc ever did with trailers was "standard" so this will be a custom one.

I've broken more springs than tire or bearing failures... I'd give strong consideration to replacing them while its apart if you trailer often and/or far. I wouldn't spend the $$ to upgrade to disks, the drums work well and are much more reasonable in cost.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duane in Indy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-01-2016 at 2:02pm
Has anyone tried the "Torsion EZ Lube Axles" or sometimes called "Torflex"?
They are great on my enclosed trailer because of the fact they are independent.
        1978 Mustang (modified)
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-01-2016 at 2:06pm
Seems like most of the Prestige and newer Ram-Lins are torsion with ez-lube.

That 200V trailer just posted looks maxed out though.... weird.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiralhelix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-01-2016 at 2:23pm
Some people just like their internet presence private. The less personal information out there, the less identities can be stolen. I'm fine with being referred to as Spiral, this is the only forum where people like to use RL names. And newbies is sooooo 1990s, we are "noobs" now, and we get "pwned" by the experts!

Thanks for the MI source. I will get a hold of them tomorrow, Hopefully pulling the axle tonight to get more accurate measurements.

Originally posted by GottaSki GottaSki wrote:

Wow, how'd you get the beans above the frank?

I'm assuming you mean the hydraulic part of the brake being up top instead of at the bottom. I have NO clue. but that makes sense that if it rotated, bolts were sheared or the flange is done.

I agree a new axle is the way to go. It just seems like by the time i get a spindle and find a shop to do it right, I'm not going to save myself that much $$. And I talked to a guy that said the same thing about disc brakes, so I'm cool with sticking to drum, just thought since it was all pulled apart I'd swap if it was easy. He also suggested going with a torsion axle, so I'll try and price those as well.

Thanks for the axle wt, i figured 3500# was too light. I will continue my search.

-Spiral

Air206 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Air206 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-01-2016 at 2:32pm
Originally posted by spiralhelix spiralhelix wrote:

Some people just like their internet presence private. The less personal information out there, the less identities can be stolen. I'm fine with being referred to as Spiral, this is the only forum where people like to use RL names. And newbies is sooooo 1990s, we are "noobs" now, and we get "pwned" by the experts.

This is one of the few forums where people actually meet, hangout and get to know each other - which why it is so great. And as far as the 90's comments - look at the boats I have, I'm livin' in the past! Later, Joe.................

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiralhelix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-01-2016 at 2:55pm
Originally posted by Air206 Air206 wrote:

This is one of the few forums where people actually meet, hangout and get to know each other - which why it is so great. And as far as the 90's comments - look at the boats I have, I'm livin' in the past! Later, Joe.................

Very True!   Especially since I have an '89 Sport. I was in 3rd grade when my boat was being built. LOL.
Jonny Quest View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonny Quest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-01-2016 at 5:20pm
+1 on the axle change-out. If you are already doing the work, you may want to consider a change to disk brakes. As stated above, you will need to change the actuator. Not a big deal and they typically run $120 to $150.

Edit - As Tim mentions below, you would be well served to go with a heavier 6 lug axle. I originally mentioned the #84 spindle as I assumed that your trailer was a dual-axle. I see now that you have a single axle unit.

You can do the job yourself. Just do a good job on blocking and bracing the trailer once it is up on jacks. Unless you messed up your springs, you should be able to re-use those.

JQ

Current
2003 Ski Nautique 206 Limited

Previous
2001 Ski Nautique Open Bow
1994 Ski Nautique Open Bow

Aqua skiing, ergo sum
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-01-2016 at 6:04pm
#84 is a common 1-1/16" / 1-3/8" 3500 lb trailer spindle. While parts are readily available, it would be quite silly to downgrade the trailer load capacity by almost 2000lbs when the 5200lb bearings obviously don't last forever either, especially on a boat this size. The 5200lb 6-lug stuff is quite common as well- I would stick with that.

Again, springs can be reused and will likely last a long time. The problem is that they'll look great right up until they fail. I replace 20+ year old springs on trailers that I take far from home. Not fun trying to source an oddball 30" spring in an unfamiliar place while your boat is stranded on the side of the road. It's a quick job to swap them out while the axle is off: YMMV.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiralhelix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-02-2016 at 1:16am
Well, got home from work later than expected, but made progress on the removal. I am one jack stand shy of feeling comfortable removing the axle, so I'm gonna hit up a buddy for his set. Today got the brake assemblies off. Tomorrow the brake lines then the axle. Does it matter if I remove it with the springs (ie detach the springs from the frame) or just remove the axle leaving the springs attached? Also, at one point, a guy said i should mount the springs under the axle to lower the boat as he thought it "bounced a lot" during trailering. Yay or nay? I would think dropping it would increase the chance of the fins to hit the axle during loading/unloading.

Also talked with a trailer shop that happens to be along my commute and he said ordering a 5200# v bent is easy enough and he'll get the measurements from the old one.

Left side

right side
-Spiral
'89 Sport Nautique
DayTony View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DayTony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-02-2016 at 1:22am
whole axle is the way to go if your not equipped to weld and fix a spindle yourself.
When i recommended the spindle replacement I should have mentioned it would not even be worth it unless you could do it yourself if you had to factor in labor costs.

One of these days I will get my hydraulic brakes working in mine.
But first I need to get a spare tire.
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-02-2016 at 11:27am
Ride height is your call on clearances, but don't see how position of the spring/axle/ ride height will change the bounce any.

Many trailers have drop axles, somewhat equivalent to you changing under/over, but your configuration may run skinny on upward travel available.

Ordering a drop axle, if you are getting one, may be a solution, if its a problem at all. But fender clearance has to be considered as well as axle/frame.

Micht be best to just stick with what the maker designed.

If YOU think bouncing is a problem, there are clever shock kits that replace the backing plate then you mount the other end to the frame.

"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-02-2016 at 1:12pm
tire weight rating and air pressure also have a decent amount to do with bouncing.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiralhelix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-02-2016 at 3:07pm
Originally posted by GottaSki GottaSki wrote:

Micht be best to just stick with what the maker designed.

That was what I was thinking. I didn't notice the "bounce" that he made it seem like. I will say though, there is a stretch of road (US-151) from Madison, WI to Fond du Lac, WI where they didn't do a good job smoothing the surface, so that hour of the drive is nauseating. If different springs or adding shocks took care of that, i would consider changing. But, now that I'm getting a grasp of the work, that might just be an addition later, we only make that drive with the boat 2 (maybe 3) times a year.
-Spiral
'89 Sport Nautique

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiralhelix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-04-2016 at 10:51am
Is the drop center or v bend crucial for fin clearance or will a straight axle suffice?
-Spiral
'89 Sport Nautique

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiralhelix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-12-2016 at 12:09pm
Earlier in the week i went ahead and ordered the replacement axle. 2 weeks out for straight, 3 weeks for the v bend. I opted for the v bend. Ended up getting it from Redneck Trailer but it was ordered through a local guy. So hopefully it will arrive just in time for labor day weekend. Fingers crossed!

Yesterday, I did load up the old axle and took it to the local Axle Surgeons franchise and the minute he saw it he said, "We can't repair that. It's a square and we only do round" then                                             proceeded to say that it would be cheaper to just get a new axle as their minimum price to work on them is $750 (the complete, fully assembled, custom dropped came to $586).

Thanks again for all the guidance. It certainly helped wrap my head around what it was I needed so I could make an informed purchase. I'll follow up with the rest of the install once it arrives.
-Spiral
'89 Sport Nautique
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-16-2016 at 5:56pm
Bounce going down the road.
A lot of people do not balance trailer tires. I think this is a big mistake.
For less than $30 the tires can be balanced and get rid of a lot of vibration on your trailer.
I have seen some going down the road with the tire bouncing and you could see the tire was way out of balance.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiralhelix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-16-2016 at 6:21pm
well, i guess I never actually "verified" that they were balanced. I probably make an incorrect assumption that when new tires are put on, they are balanced at the same time. The tires on the trailer (prior to the incident) had less than 300 miles on them. I just replaced the blown tire so it will be ready for the new axle, I'll go home an check to see if they have any balancing wts on them.
-Spiral
'89 Sport Nautique
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-16-2016 at 6:24pm
Your trailer, tires and wheel bearings will thank you
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
  Share Topic