Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Stuffing Box ID and Adjustment

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
Author
Poorhouse View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Poorhouse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Stuffing Box ID and Adjustment
    Posted: July-26-2016 at 4:27pm
My stuffing box is leaking a bit. I'm getting a drip every couple seconds when stopped.

I've read how to tighten and repack them. Seems straight forward.

My issue is that the stuffing box in our boat does not look like anything I've found pictures of. I'm not seeing the adjustment nuts anywhere.

Hoping someone here is familiar with what this is and how to adjust it.

Sold - 1986 Supra Sunsport Skier
Current - 1996 - MC Prostar 205
I keep doing this wrong.
Poorhouse View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Poorhouse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-26-2016 at 4:58pm
Appears it might be this type from Glenwood Marine.

http://www.glenwoodmarine.com/Catalog/SHAFT%20LOG.pdf
I keep doing this wrong.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-26-2016 at 5:06pm
Jake,
Your link came up bad so here's a good one. It doesn't look like it's been greased in awhile? Pump some marine grease in it and see how long it lasts. It may not last that long since I feel the seal is bad from an alignment problem. Looking at the kink in the hose between the log and the "stuffing box", it's not good!! I'd say there's even a good chance that the shaft is rubbing on the log ID. When was the last time you checked the alignment? How's the strut for straightness?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Poorhouse View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Poorhouse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-26-2016 at 5:27pm
I see what you mean about the kink. I think it is exaggerated in the photo but worth investigating.

I have never checked the alignment.

Quickly glancing at the strut I didn't see any issues.

No vibrations when running.

Boat is new to me as of this summer.

Maybe I'll grease it for now and order a new seal.

Then take it apart and investigate further.

I keep doing this wrong.
lcgordon View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lcgordon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-26-2016 at 5:39pm
Personally I would atleast loosen the clamp on the hose that connects the hose to the log. Then slide the stuffing box and hose up the shaft and look if the shaft is rubbing bad on the log. You dont want to have to replace the log when the shaft wears through it is not fun.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-26-2016 at 6:05pm
Jake,
If the grease doesn't slow down the drip for awhile, I would suggest getting a complete traditional gland. With the Glenwood design relying on grease for lubrication and easily washed away with water, I can't see where the seal would last very long. The retrofit dripless seals that are available, use a mechanical spring loaded seal the same design used on pump shafts and they have a continuous water supply. Big difference from the Glenwood! The Glenwood seal is also riding on the prop shaft surface. Bottom line is I don't feel it's a good design.

I also notice the PVC elbow on your thru hull. Get a brass one on there before the PCV gets broken. It's below the water line!!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Poorhouse View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Poorhouse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-26-2016 at 6:16pm
I love this place! Never considered the PVC elbow. Will get brass on order and double check for anything else. So much to learn as a new boater. Thanks for pointing that out.

I'll slip off the hose off the log and slide the assembly up tonight and report back.
I keep doing this wrong.
Poorhouse View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Poorhouse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-26-2016 at 10:24pm
Took a look after work and noted a couple issues.

There is a flap loose in the stuffing box seal. That warrants taking things apart to either replace the seal or the stuffing box with a traditional style.

One hurdle to that. The heads for both lock bolts on the safety collar are broken off.

I attempted to drill a pilot hole in the bolt shaft to use the EZ out. That didn't work, the drill bit didn't get purchase.

I was tempted to put it off but I don't want to hurt the shaft.

I have 2 ideas at this point. One is to use a cut off wheel to cut a notch into the shaft of each bolt and try to back them out with a screw driver. If that doesn't work I have a better start to drill a pilot hole for the EZ out.

The second idea is a variation of the first. I'm wondering if I pull the prop can I pull the shaft out through the engine compartment. I'm guessing the strut won't allow enough angle to clear the transmission.

I'm open to ideas on this one.
I keep doing this wrong.
Duane in Indy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duane in Indy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-26-2016 at 10:56pm
Even if you get the two broken screws out I doubt you will be able to pull the collar off the shaft. Takes a lot of effort and a pulling device to free it. They are shrunk on with heat and a lot of interference fit.
No the shaft won't go forward without pulling the engine/trans assy.
Keep it as original as YOU want it
        1978 Mustang (modified)
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-26-2016 at 11:29pm
You could use a parting wheel to slice thru the safety collar in 2 places. You will probably gouge the shaft a little.

You may not want to hear this, but cutting the shaft thru & getting a new ARE shaft would be the easiest route (but most expensive).
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
Poorhouse View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Poorhouse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-26-2016 at 11:32pm
Interesting. How is the seal serviceable with the collar in place?
I keep doing this wrong.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-26-2016 at 11:36pm
Jake,
It sounds like you may not know much about the boats past. Even if the PO did tell you some things, he may not have told you the complete story so, I have a suggestion. Seeing the PO has got that odd ball shaft seal in it, I'd say something has happened to the shaft. Is it new or old? Is it straight or bent? First, check out the alignment video. There's a link in the FAQ thread in the maintenance forum. In it, there's some explanation on using a dial indicator clamped to the strut to check for shaft straightness. The shaft should be within .003" straight. Especially check at the aft end of the prop taper. If the prop has ever taken a hit, aft of the strut is where the shaft typically bends and that will show up. What I'm getting at here is if the shaft is bent, cut it out, forget messing with the safety collar and the heat shrunk interference fit of the trans coupling and replace the shaft with an ARE system. The ARE is a double taper shaft that makes it's R&R real easy!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-26-2016 at 11:38pm
Originally posted by Poorhouse Poorhouse wrote:

Interesting. How is the seal serviceable with the collar in place?

Sorry, but I sure wouldn't bother to mess with it due to it's poor design.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Poorhouse View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Poorhouse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-27-2016 at 12:25am
Good advice. I'll look into a dial indicater.

I'm still curious what the process would be to service either this seal or a packing gland nut. With the press fit collar the parts are captured.

So from this point if the shaft is bent I cut it and start over.
If the shaft is not bent I remove the collar, disassemble and rebuild with a new stuffing box.

To salvage the remainder of the season I could reassemble as is with fresh grease on the seal. Maybe 6 -8 days on the water. Thoughts on that?

I keep doing this wrong.
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-27-2016 at 12:42am
I don't think that I have ever had an EZ out work. You drill a hole start the ez out and as it goes into the hole you drilled it puts pressure and expands the part you drilled out. This is going to be a big job if you try to reuse parts IMHO.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Poorhouse View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Poorhouse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-27-2016 at 10:32am
Re-reading this, I think there may be come confusion on which collar I am referring too.

I'm talking about the small stainless collar just ahead of the stuffing box. Shown in both pics but more clearly in the second pic.

I can't imagine it was pressed on. I'm guessing you guys were referring to the collar where the shaft meets the transmission.

I keep doing this wrong.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-27-2016 at 10:42am
Jake,
I'm not confused! Check the shaft and then determine how to proceed.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Jonny Quest View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonny Quest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-27-2016 at 11:02am
You will also note that the set screws on the shaft coupler appear to be missing. I'm guessing that the shaft is not original.

JQ
Current
2003 Ski Nautique 206 Limited

Previous
2001 Ski Nautique Open Bow
1994 Ski Nautique Open Bow

Aqua skiing, ergo sum
Poorhouse View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Poorhouse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-27-2016 at 11:16am
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Jake,
I'm not confused! Check the shaft and then determine how to proceed.

LOL - Not you, I am clear on your advice. Any confusion is on my end, or in my misuse of terminology. Like the comment below.

Originally posted by Jonny Quest Jonny Quest wrote:

You will also note that the set screws on the shaft coupler appear to be missing. I'm guessing that the shaft is not original.

JQ

The shaft coupler is the bronze piece at the end of the shaft where it meets the transmission output? There is a allen headed screw down in that hole.

That is the piece I was referring to in my previous post. The shaft coupler, if I'm understanding correctly, is the piece that is press fit to the shaft.
The small stainless collar seen in the 2nd photo is labeled "Lasdrop".
From what I can find online it is a safety collar and would not have been press fit.
That is the piece with the snapped off bolt heads.
If I could remove that collar I could slide the whole mess up and take a look at the alignment of the shaft going through the log.

Note: I did find some info that Supra fitted this type of stuffing box from the factory in the mid 80's. Not to say my shaft hasn't been replaced.

Theoretical question - If a person were set on using this type of stuffing box how would they plan to service the seal? Does a double taper shaft slide out of the coupler? That is the only way I can imagine this making sense to use.

I keep doing this wrong.
JPASS View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JPASS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-27-2016 at 11:38am
So are you trying to move the silver safety collar out of the way so you can remove the shaft boot to check and see how the driveshaft is running through the log?

If that's the case, why not just cut the collar off?

'92 Correctcraft Ski Nautique
Poorhouse View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Poorhouse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-27-2016 at 11:45am
Originally posted by JPASS JPASS wrote:

So are you trying to move the silver safety collar out of the way so you can remove the shaft boot to check and see how the driveshaft is running through the log?

If that's the case, why not just cut the collar off?

Yes, exactly. That was my plan last night after the shaft alignment question was raised.

I'm concerned about damaging the shaft and wanted to determine if the collar is servicing a purpose as is.
I keep doing this wrong.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-27-2016 at 12:45pm

Theoretical question - If a person were set on using this type of stuffing box how would they plan to service the seal? Does a double taper shaft slide out of the coupler? That is the only way I can imagine this making sense to use.

With the double taper ARE and the trans coupling held on with a taper, there's a ejecting nut that screws into the coupling popping the shaft out of the taper. Very easy R&R!

As mentioned, that stuffing gland doesn't impress me at all. I would not bother even trying to fix it. I have a feeling Supra used it because of it's short installed length and they couldn't fir a good common stuffing gland in whereas your CC has plenty of room

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
lcgordon View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lcgordon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-27-2016 at 1:02pm
It also may have been the cheapest option at that time.

Pretty easy to remove shaft and stuffing box. They are relatively cheap. Think I paid 60 bucks for a new one and it came with packing.
Poorhouse View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Poorhouse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-27-2016 at 1:16pm
Originally posted by lcgordon lcgordon wrote:

It also may have been the cheapest option at that time.

Pretty easy to remove shaft and stuffing box. They are relatively cheap. Think I paid 60 bucks for a new one and it came with packing.

That is what I was hoping (assuming the shaft is straight).

The DIY's I'm finding for shaft removal do not make it look easy.
Removing the coupler looks like a bear of a job and can damage the transmission unless you have some specialty tools.
Am I looking at the wrong DIY's?
I keep doing this wrong.
lcgordon View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lcgordon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-27-2016 at 1:35pm
I dont see how you could possibly damage the transmission. Getting the 4 bolts out and the coupler unbolted from the tranny is easy.

I dont know what kind of shaft and coupler you have. Im sure some of the other guys who have these boats could tell you exactly what to do. Mine is tapered so it came off pretty easy. Really the worst you will be out is 400 bucks. Its alot of money but compared to other boat costs its not that bad.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-27-2016 at 2:18pm

The DIY's I'm finding for shaft removal do not make it look easy.
Removing the coupler looks like a bear of a job and can damage the transmission unless you have some specialty tools.
Am I looking at the wrong DIY's?

I dont see how you could possibly damage the transmission. Getting the 4 bolts out and the coupler unbolted from the tranny is easy.

I dont know what kind of shaft and coupler you have. Im sure some of the other guys who have these boats could tell you exactly what to do. Mine is tapered so it came off pretty easy. Really the worst you will be out is 400 bucks. Its alot of money but compared to other boat costs its not that bad.

Landis,
Removing a single taper shaft coupling is BY FAR NOT easy with it's shrink to fit interference fit.!! You ether have a double taper shaft or your shaft and coupling were fretted due to bad alignment.

Damage to the trans is extremely unlikely but, using the "long bolt and spacer trick" to remove the shaft coupling can distort the face of the coupling half on the trans.

Jake,
You are correct with the coupling removal and the reason to check the shaft first. If bent, cut it out!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
lcgordon View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lcgordon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-27-2016 at 2:28pm
Hmm not sure ive done it twice now. I think it looks like the same as the side that the prop is on. It came off not too bad once I put a socket on the shaft and used 4 long bolts to pop it off. Was not too hard. Idk what a double taper is?
lcgordon View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lcgordon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-27-2016 at 2:30pm
Oh mine is double taper. Its made by elberts just looked it up. Still dont know what double taper means.
Poorhouse View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Poorhouse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-27-2016 at 2:43pm
Double taper means both the prop side and transmission side of the shaft are tapered.

Single taper would be tapered on the prop side. The transmission side would have the coupler pressed on.
This is what I'm guessing I have.

As you said unbolting the 4 retaining bolts is easy, and the shaft nut should be easy if there is clearance. Then you put a socket on the end of the shaft to press it out as you tighten the 4 bolts on the coupler. Tightening it to the transmission.
This can damage either side of the coupler. Also unnecessary work if the shaft is bent and I could then just cut it.

To you point $400 isn't big money to replace the shaft if necessary. That looks like it would buy me an ARE replacement system as well.

I'm just amazed that an essentially unserviceable seal is used on this stuffing box.

I'm also trying to determine what I should do right now to keep the boat in service for the rest of the (short) season.

Finally, I need to find a dial indicator to check the shaft and would like to check the alignment.
I keep doing this wrong.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-27-2016 at 2:55pm
Jake,
I just now noticed your signature with the Supra listed. All along I thought we were talking CC!! See what you get with a Supra - that cheesy stuffing gland!!   

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
  Share Topic