Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Tower on a 79 Mustang

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
Author
KooK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KooK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Tower on a 79 Mustang
    Posted: July-19-2016 at 7:33pm
Wondering if you guys have any recommendations on a wakeboard tower for a 79 Mustang 17. Currently I'm looking at the Monster MT1. Also if anybody has any pictures of 77-79 Mustangs or Natiques with towers, I would be interested in seeing them.

Thanks.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-19-2016 at 8:44pm
Aaron.
My only recommendation is don't put one on! It is you boat so you can do anything you want. For pictures, I suggest looking in the diary section.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
KooK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KooK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-19-2016 at 9:58pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Aaron.
My only recommendation is don't put one on! It is you boat so you can do anything you want. For pictures, I suggest looking in the diary section.

I figured there would be a couple of people saying don't do it.   

A few fiberglass holes are easy to fix later on down the road, and this is something I'm going to do anyway.
fanofccfan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fanofccfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-20-2016 at 12:42am
I'm with Pete on this one too. Get a fly high. Does the same thing and disassembles much easier than a tower..
TRIP View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRIP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-20-2016 at 12:55am
IF you're going to put any tower on it then let it be a modified FCTII. Curved shapes of that Monster will really clash with straight lines of our boat.
I agree with the others that on that boat I would use an extended pylon.
KooK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KooK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-20-2016 at 10:32am
A fly high/extended pylon? Never heard of this, I'm going to go take a peak at them. Also, looking at the Monsters for a bit and I do agree, I'm not a huge fan of the way they lookj on a boat of this era, I was looking other places for any other design.

Edit: Looking at the extended pylon, is that thing really sturdy enough? I was hoping to pull up to 2-3 people at once every once in awhile.
Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-20-2016 at 10:36am
I'm with Pete... a tower on a Mustang goes together like whipped cream on Chilli!

Fly High
"Morfoot; He can ski. He can wakeboard.He can cook chicken.He can create his own self-named beverage, & can also apparently fly. A man of many talents."72 Mustang "Kermit",88 SN Miss Scarlett, 99 SN "Sherman"
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-20-2016 at 10:39am
Originally posted by KooK KooK wrote:

Looking at the extended pylon, is that thing really sturdy enough? I was hoping to pull up to 2-3 people at once every once in awhile.

Yup, it's sturdy enough. Four footers on a fly-hi on an 86 Nautique. Don't mess up your mustang.

quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-20-2016 at 10:56am
Couple things to consider with a tower, your cover will need to be modified and will likely be a PITA to put on around the tower legs, have had 2 tower boats and 3 different covers and they have all been time consuming to put on. Folding to get under your lift canopy or in the garage and cleaning the bugs off if you tow at all I am a tower fan however if I had a smaller older boat like yours I would definitely go extended pylon over tower on it.
KooK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote KooK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-20-2016 at 11:06am
I'm kind of getting sold on the extended pylon right now because I do agree it's less of a hassle, looks better, and is probably easier to take on and off when I want/need.
Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-20-2016 at 11:27am
Originally posted by KooK KooK wrote:

I'm sold on the extended pylon because I do agree it's less of a hassle, looks better, and is easier to take on and off when I want/need.

"Morfoot; He can ski. He can wakeboard.He can cook chicken.He can create his own self-named beverage, & can also apparently fly. A man of many talents."72 Mustang "Kermit",88 SN Miss Scarlett, 99 SN "Sherman"
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-20-2016 at 11:33am
Oh I don't know a lime green one on yours a taffy ivory one for me,I see a group buy! Maybe we can talk Reid into a baby blue one
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
KooK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KooK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-20-2016 at 12:46pm
Looking at a Skylon 2 piece fat pole, anybody have opions on that they could share?

Thank you!
Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-20-2016 at 1:06pm
I own a Skylon brand for my 88 SN and love it. The two piece design is the way to go IMHO as it stores easily in the boat, in the tow vehicle and in the garage.

Edit: Gary.....That's why everyone should own at least Two CC's. One with a tower/skylon .....one without!
KooK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KooK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-20-2016 at 2:45pm
Originally posted by Morfoot Morfoot wrote:

I own a Skylon brand for my 88 SN and love it. The two piece design is the way to go IMHO as it stores easily in the boat, in the tow vehicle and in the garage.

Edit: Gary.....That's why everyone should own at least Two CC's. One with a tower/skylon .....one without!

Awesome, it sounds like I'll probably go with a Skylon 2 piece extended pylon.

Thanks everybody!
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-20-2016 at 3:09pm
not so fast, Is your boat a ring and finger pylon?
IAughtNaut View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IAughtNaut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-20-2016 at 4:33pm
Originally posted by quinner quinner wrote:

not so fast, Is your boat a ring and finger pylon?
Thank you CQ, I was just getting ready to jump on this.

If it has a ring and finger, please, please, PLEASE don't cut it off to accommodate the fly high. It won't fit over it, but that ring can safely be removed (so you can still ski without the high tow point). Or if you don't want to keep it, someone here will gladly take it off your hands.

Or if you really want to get fancy, click on STORE in the header of this page and scroll down to the Super Deluxe Boom Mount. Those things are awesome.
bring the ruckus
2000 Pro Air
KooK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KooK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-20-2016 at 6:24pm
I'm actually in the middle of trying to figure this out, the boat right now is 6 hours away from me (I'm towing it back home this week) and the only thing I know is, there's no pylon currently sticking up anywhere, and no ring and finger. I actually currently have no clue where anything is going to mount until I can at least get the thing in my garage.
KooK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KooK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-20-2016 at 9:12pm
Well great... It says it slips over my existing ski pole and I don't think I have one. Not sure how to go about this now.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-20-2016 at 9:33pm
Lack of a pylon altogether would be odd.

Sdbm doesn't work on boats with tightly mounted benches-like the M17.
Donald80SN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donald80SN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-20-2016 at 9:37pm
Kook,

Use the bow strap on the front. Do not connect to the lifting ring. You could possibly damage the gel coat and if you send us a photo hooked up this way it sends us into orbit.

I used a Barefoot International Fly High with a Super Deluxe Pylon Mount for many years on my 1980. They work great and look good. However, I had a special Cypress Gardens Boat that I did not want to monkey with.

Donald
1980 Ski Nautique SOLD Back to Cypress Gardens
2002 Sport Nautique, GT-40, FCT2, Cover Sports, Tower Bimini, Inc., Wet Sounds Audio System, Star Gazer Wake Edition S.
1968 Ski Nautique, Project.
NCH20SKIER View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NCH20SKIER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-21-2016 at 12:41am
I have a pylon with an in-tack ring and finger for sale if needed.
'05 206 Limited
'88 BFN
62 wood View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 62 wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-21-2016 at 2:12am
Glad your re-thinking the tower!!! DONT do it! Your right about being able to repair the holes, but to do it right, it AINT cheap!!! This is a pic of my 73 with P.O. mounted tower.

After 12 hour round trip, first thing I did when I got home was remove the tower..

Pic of tower mounts...

The 16 bolt holes have since been repaired...
64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique
Donald80SN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donald80SN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-21-2016 at 10:25am
There is a nice 2010 Skylon setup with board rack for-sale on www.ski it again .com for $150.00 in Mooresville, NC. Go to the For Sale Area and look under TOWERS and you will find it. It looks very nice. It is on a MB Sport boat. It would work nice for your application. Those Skylon Board Racks are very desirable in my opinion.

Donald
1980 Ski Nautique SOLD Back to Cypress Gardens
2002 Sport Nautique, GT-40, FCT2, Cover Sports, Tower Bimini, Inc., Wet Sounds Audio System, Star Gazer Wake Edition S.
1968 Ski Nautique, Project.
KooK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KooK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-21-2016 at 5:32pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

Lack of a pylon altogether would be odd.

Sdbm doesn't work on boats with tightly mounted benches-like the M17.

Sdbm? Could you please elaborate on what these letters mean?   
Dreaming View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dreaming Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-21-2016 at 5:43pm
super deluxe boom mount - available in the ccf store
skutsch View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skutsch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-21-2016 at 6:16pm
Post some pictures of your boat, especially the area in front of the motor. Pylon if you can do it for sure!
dchris17 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dchris17 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-21-2016 at 6:54pm
My Mustang 17 also did not come with a ski pylon. I got the boat from the original owner and he said it never had one. Kind of weird, but I guess it's a thing.
My 1974 Mustang 17

TroopTrack
: The Best Scouting Software
KooK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KooK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-21-2016 at 11:44pm
I'll post pictures when I can get to it here in another week, but there is basically zero room between the front seat and the engine cover. Although I'm going to custom make a pair of seats, one facing forward (driver) one facing backwards (passenger), cover up the battery with a hatch and probably put a pylon in between the two. How does the Pylon normally attach? Does it get glassed directly. Into the hull itself or something?

Thanks!
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-22-2016 at 12:00am
Aaron,
The 70's pylons were attached at the keel and at the sole (floor). There is a female cup that gets glassed in at the keel with a corresponding male pin in the bottom of the aluminum pylon. Just under the sole, there's extra wood crosswise between the two main stringers, This is where a plate that's welded to the pylon at the sole level gets bolted.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
  Share Topic