Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Electronic IG: yes or no

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
Author
74SkiNautique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 74SkiNautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-18-2016 at 11:56am
It's a ford. It says right on the valve cover .020 for points gap. We have never checked the timing before. Coil is about 7 volts when warmed up.
74SkiNautique

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 74SkiNautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-18-2016 at 6:31pm
Can anyone check the ohms are there ballast resistors when hot?? I feel like 5 ohms is too much and might explain why boat runs like crap after it gets hot
74SkiNautique
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-18-2016 at 10:17pm
Originally posted by 74SkiNautique 74SkiNautique wrote:

Can anyone check the ohms are there ballast resistors when hot?? I feel like 5 ohms is too much and might explain why boat runs like crap after it gets hot

The parts that Gun Driver listed and I added to earlier are parts are for a Prestolite distributor and I noticed that you have a Mallory while rereading this whole thread. Those parts won't work.

Since it's a 74 you won't have a PCM engine eitherit could be a Waukesha which became PCM.but they had prestolite distributors Figure out what you have as a starting point. You seem to have solved it back in 2012 but you were screwing with points every 25 hours or so

I measured a ballast resistor on a PCM 351 and it was 1.2 ohms cold (edited out some confusing numbers)

Now as far as numbers go, the resistor got up to about 155-160 degrees on the ceramic housing, what the wire coil inside embedded in epoxy got to .....who knows.

This particular boat runs just fine with 7 volts at the coil negative terminal at 1000 rpm, go to 2000 rpm and there is 8.5 volts. 3000 rpm 9.4 volts.

The ignition coil never went over 145 in about an hour of running at various speeds In a handful of boats that I take care of they have coil temps of 140 to maybe 175 under various conditions with no running issues

I also noticed you asked this same electronic ignition question back in 2012, 4 years is long enough to make up your mind, I would think.

If you're staying with points, figure out what you have for a distributor and get stock replacement parts and do a complete tuneup.

Just to steer you to look at other things, have you looked to see if your antisiphon valve is clear. Plenty of people have had a boat that runs for a short time till the fuel flow gets to restricted, you let it sit and some of the crap falls off then you can start it again and repeat the cycle.

I don't recall seeing anywhere that you mentioned whether you had spark or not when it died the second time.

Running in the driveway with no load on the engine isn't gonna tell you much either, you may think everything's great till you hit the water

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 74SkiNautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-19-2016 at 3:07am
KENO,

Thanks for the in depth reply. I don't remember posting about the electronic ignition 4 years ago, could have been my dad posting on here, or I just forgot.

I took the boat to the lake today. Ran perfect for a few hours with no issues and then I decided to head home. A couple things, I checked the points a couple days ago and they looked burned, or pitted. I sanded them and gapped them. So I either need to replace them along with the condenser, or decide if I want electronic. Now, these points have maybe 30? hours on them, which I doubt is their normal service life. I know too much voltage will shorten their life.

I check numerous times throughout the evening, my resistor was .7- 1.0 ohms hot. The coil was getting a consistent 9 volts at idle. 9.5 at 1,000 rpm and 10 volts at maybe 1,500 rpms. Maybe the resistor I have is actually too weak, therefore I'm getting less resistance and my points need servicing more often than they should. All in all, it ran perfectly tonight after a points clean and gap.

And I have a Mallory distributor, we have all the correct part numbers on file if I decide to keep the points.
74SkiNautique

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 74SkiNautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-19-2016 at 3:10am
I previously Said I was getting 7 volts at the coil when hot, and 5 ohms on the resistor. I think my meter was acting up because today I got a crazy volt reading and unplugged my leads a few times and then it started reading a normal reading. Weird.

And the antisiphon valve. I'm not familiar with that. Is that the fuel tank vent?
74SkiNautique
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-19-2016 at 6:21am
Chris,
The anti siphon is at the fuel pick up fitting on the top of the fuel tank. It looks like a barb hose adapter.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-19-2016 at 8:07am
Chris

Send me a PM with your address and I'll send you some Mallory points and condensers if you want them.

Won't cost you anything

Sounds to me like your resistor is OK and coil voltage is OK too, and the point cleaning seems to have cured your issue at least for now
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-19-2016 at 11:19am
Rapid points burning is a condenser issue in my book.
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-19-2016 at 4:03pm
Chris
2 sets of points and 2 condensers and 2 mounting plates are on the way.

Genuine Mallory parts. Lightly used but working good when removed for electronic conversions.

Coming USPS
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
  Share Topic