Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Observer Seat Issue

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
winniskier View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote winniskier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Observer Seat Issue
    Posted: July-03-2016 at 6:45pm
Something is broken under the upholstery of the bench of my observer seat. The seat is about 18 inches front to back. The board supporting the 3 inch overhang to the stern and 3 inch overhang to the port side seems broken. Since it is covered with fabric on the bottom side, I can't see exactly what is broken. Feeling through the cloth, it seems like a clean break, as if two boards came apart, with straight edges. Any idea what the board is made of? is it two boards, what held it together before it broke, etc,? I am hoping I can remove the relatively new skins, fix it and put it back together.   Thanks.
Jim
93/70 ccpb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 93/70 ccpb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-03-2016 at 7:02pm
take it apart from underside.leave intact.make template with 3/4 plywood exatly same size as underside.drill holes same place as originals.get bols that are longer than originals make sure you coat new plywood with waterproof treatment.about 4 coates.coat repeat coat repeat ,same happened to mine 93 sn when everbody steps into boat pressure put onto seat after while they just break in that spot underneath.send phone number and i will try to take photo of mine and send to you dan in ohio.
what you dont want to hear from jbear and bill.you cant get in the boat till you get your minute,and they throw you back in water!
karthur View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote karthur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-04-2016 at 6:10pm
I just happen to stroll by here and noticed your issue. Not sure what model boat you have, but mine is an '87. I posted some plans for the both the observer seat and the middle seat in this thread. http://www.correctcraftfan.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=23746&KW=&title=observer-seat-rebuild

Its a few entries down in the thread. Maybe it will help you.

Kirk
tryathlete View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tryathlete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-04-2016 at 6:55pm
CCF'ers are just awesome.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote winniskier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-05-2016 at 10:13am
Thank you all. I am thinking that fixing with wood will be an option. But I would like to keep my boat wood free due to leftover scars from a Nautique with rooted wood. If you know what is underneath and whether it can be fixed or replaced, please let me know.
Jim
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-05-2016 at 10:22am
Why not call someone like Christine's,if anyone knows other than CC it will be them. They might have something available to repair or replace it with too.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-05-2016 at 11:28am
You can use plastic to replace the board inside the seat cushion.

http://www.correctcraftfan.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=28942
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-05-2016 at 12:36pm
The seat bases are made of extruded PVC (XPVC) if you want to stay original (and wood free). King starboard is another composite (though heavier) option.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote winniskier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-06-2016 at 10:17pm
To close the loop, consistent with Tim's comments, Christine's reports: "The board is PCV board. You will have to strip off the cover and the foam, you can actually fix it yourself by using PVC cement and clamping it back together overnight, also on the foam side cut a flat brace and glue that down over the crack. We have done this many times and holds up very good."    Now all I have to do is have at it. Thank you all again.
Jim

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote winniskier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-12-2016 at 1:22pm
Now that I have the skins off the base, I can see that the board broke before. Most of the repaired seam survived, but part of it broke off again along with a new section of the board. I expect all of this is caused by people stepping on the edge of the seat and snapping the board. Forget about stopping people from stepping on the edge of the seat. It won't happen in my world.

I am thinking about replacing the board with one of greater thickness or adding another 1/2 inch board between the board under the cushion and the tilt-up base. Comments? Other ideas?
Jim
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-12-2016 at 1:34pm
Man, there's only a few inches of overhang on that seat style- very little base is left unsupported. Maybe have your passengers go a little easier? Can't say I've seen those break before.

If you decide to strengthen, I wouldn't add significant thickness... But I've always thought that a hybrid base sandwich of Coosa glassed on both sides (this half provides strength) and xpvc (this half builds out the rest of the thickness and accepts staples well) would be a pretty ideal composite solution for the older seats that have minimal support. 1/4" of each would be the same thickness as original. Mixing some 3/8 in would add minimal thickness and might be a consideration too. Downside is of course, complexity of building 2-piece bases and the cost of the composite sheets.

1/2" ply would work pretty darn well and be much cheaper, if you're willing to forego the composite route and accept some risk of rot.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic