Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Underwater Footage 61 yo Correct Craft(?) Wreck
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Underwater Footage 61 yo Correct Craft(?) Wreck

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Keith View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Owner / Operator of CorrectCraftFan.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Underwater Footage 61 yo Correct Craft(?) Wreck
    Posted: July-02-2016 at 10:33pm
CorrectCraftFan was recently contacted by Maritime Heritage Minnesota( MHM), a 501.c(3) organization dedicated to the documentation and preservation of Minnesota's finite maritime archaeological resources. Much of their work has taken place in Lake Minnetonka where they have 55 wrecks and counting. Two of the wrecks are known to be Correct Crafts, one from the late 1940s and the other is a 1954 Aqua Skier Deluxe.

There is one other wreck, which may be a Correct Craft and they need your help identifying it. They have provided some really amazing underwater video footage exploring the wreck.

According to MHM, the hull is faux lapstrake aluminum and is fitted out with wood gunwales, deck, doghouse. In the silt next to the wreck they found 2 Correct Craft step pads.

MHM, believes that Correct Craft had kits, at least in the late 1940s, and it has occurred to them that this way be a kit boat from Correct Craft but the owner used an aluminum hull instead of wood. The inboard in a Ford Interceptor. The boat also has a mid-1950s Morse Controller and the bow light and mast are Nautalloy from 1959.

This wreck does not have a registration number, which leads MHM to think it sank in May-June 1959 (as Minnesota required all boats to be registered on July 1, 1959 and they were very serious about registrations). The name is visible on the transom when the silt is cleared away and reads DOUG OUT.

I know we're the perfect group to help out Maritime Heritage Minnesota solve this mystery

Thank you!

-Keith
Former:
97 Sport Nautique
1994 Ski Nautique
86 Silver Nautique
79 Mustang
bkhallpass View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-03-2016 at 12:49am
Pete probably sold the boat while working at a boat dealer as a teen.   

BKH
Livin' the Dream

Smithfamily View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smithfamily Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-03-2016 at 8:55am
Pretty cool videos!
Js
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-03-2016 at 8:55am
In all the footage provided, all the lines sure look like a from the factory Aqua Skier. I really don't see any aluminum hull but rather looks like wood planking. The Aqua Deluxe did have planked hull sides. The "lapstrake" look is most likely from the wood swelling especially towards the bow where the planking makes the bends. I wish there was more visual on the actual hull sides. There is footage of the transom and it sure looks like wood. I don't feel this was a kit. The engine is defiantly a Y block. Very interesting to say the least!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Keith View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-04-2016 at 1:15pm
Pete,
Here is the response from MHM ....

Hey Keith - We've dove on the wreck several times and our debate was whether she was fiberglass or aluminum. Her hull is not made of wood. We confirmed on Wednesday that she is definitely aluminum - and that's why finding the two Correct Craft step pads surprised us. I've dove on her myself and I initially thought she was fiberglass. Chris dove on her last week and found the bow rivets and the grey aluminum under the hull paint. The faux lapstrake design is just that - faux lapstrake. There are no seams between the 'planks' since there are no planks, except those making up the wooden deck and the inner hull details. I'll check with our volunteers to see if they have any close-up footage of the hull. I shot some close-up footage last year but my file got corrupted, sadly. I'll send you a link if we can get some.   Thanks so Pete for his input - could she be a one-off aluminum-hulled Aqua Deluxe? - Ann
Former:
97 Sport Nautique
1994 Ski Nautique
86 Silver Nautique
79 Mustang
DrCC View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrCC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-04-2016 at 3:44pm
I'm going to say it's some sort of home built parts craft.
There were more than a few brands with simulated lapstrake aluminum, but none that I know of which featured a wood top deck or a straight inboard for that matter.
The morse control and the steering wheel indicate origins of differing eras.
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-05-2016 at 6:20pm
Think it's stuck Pete? Should we soak the cylinders with ATF/Acetone?
DrCC View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrCC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-06-2016 at 3:52pm
More info about Morse controls.    In the mid 50's Morse had the Dual control.
The single lever Morse control was not patented until 1960.

juniorwoody View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote juniorwoody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-19-2016 at 12:25am
Originally posted by DrCC DrCC wrote:

More info about Morse controls.    In the mid 50's Morse had the Dual control.
The single lever Morse control was not patented until 1960.

Interesting piece of info. My Atom Skier had the single lever Morse when I bought it. Have never been sure if it's a 59 or 60 but it carries a USCG registration of 1960 so that's it. As I remember the engine is a 59 block. I think the engine in the pic is a Yblock because they had the round flame arrestors.. I see nothing but a wood hull specially at the stem area where you can see a distinction planks meet stem. Seems a bit pointed in the bow but could be just the camera perspective, The splash guards look very much like correct craft of the era.
The value of money spent on new adventure far exceeds the value of money saved for the future
juniorwoody View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote juniorwoody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-19-2016 at 12:36am
Looks to have a throttle on the steering wheel indicates the other control is tranny. I think the lap strake look is loose planks. I don't get a Correct Craft feeling here on this one.
The value of money spent on new adventure far exceeds the value of money saved for the future
Donald80SN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donald80SN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-19-2016 at 12:36am
If these boats have no registration numbers they can only belong to one person, Reid P.
1980 Ski Nautique SOLD Back to Cypress Gardens
2002 Sport Nautique, GT-40, FCT2, Cover Sports, Tower Bimini, Inc., Wet Sounds Audio System, Star Gazer Wake Edition S.
1968 Ski Nautique, Project.
Keith View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-30-2016 at 10:11am
I have to agree with most of you that this does not appear to be a Correct Craft, although I might go as far as to say it may have been intended to look like one.

MHM has sent a few more photos. They are certain the boat is aluminum which, from all that I know, eliminates Correct Craft. Another outstanding feature of the boat is the bow light / pennant flag pole that is detached and laying across the bow.

Latest response from MHM:

"We dove on Doug Out again in an attempt to clarify a couple of things. I'm attaching some photos. We are all in agreement - the outer hull is made of aluminum and the 'seams' seen on the outer are not plank seams, but formed into the aluminum. The foredeck is wood and the seams there are plank seams. There are a couple of places where the inner hull wood has deteriorated, and there is wood attached to the aluminum as part of the innter hull structure. In the attached photos, the wood deterioration can be seen when compared to the aluminum hull. The outer hulls of our other Correct Craft wrecks have the same pock-marked look that the deck of Doug Out has. If any of your forum members think that Correct Craft made a special order Aqua Skier or other model out of aluminum, it would be great to hear those details. If everyone is in agreement that CC never made an aluminum hull, or ordered one from another company for a special order, then we will probably conclude that Doug Out's owner simply put Correct Craft step pads on his other-brand utility. Any help is appreciated - thanks for your time. "

-Keith
Former:
97 Sport Nautique
1994 Ski Nautique
86 Silver Nautique
79 Mustang
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-30-2016 at 10:47am
There are just too many similarities to a Aqua Skier for this not to be a Aqua Skier. Hull lines, deck, windshield, cockpit bulkhead, helm wheel, etc. I now feel it is an Aqua that has been skinned over with aluminum and I doubt the factory did it. The bow nav light and the pennant staff looks original as well.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Keith View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-01-2016 at 2:36pm
I reached out to Art and heard back from him:

Hello, Keith..... This is interesting almost to the point of being spooky. There could be a connection here; I will have to ask Walt Jr. (W. N. Meloon, grandson of the founder) and also ask Mr. Ralph. There was a CC office employee who at one time owned Orlando Clipper Boat Company, which made aluminum boats. His name was Max Aulick, and even though he owned a boat manufacturer, he was always very close to Correct Craft. Max is long gone now, but I can picture him doing an experiment and cladding an AS with aluminum.

There sure are a lot of things about this boat that say CC to me. The engine, steering wheel, windshield, (definitely a Taylor w/s) and a number of other items, including of course the very clear name on the step pads. One thing that is somewhat puzzling is the lack of a tow pylon. One would think the term "Aqua Skier" would connote that it's a ski boat and therefore should have a ski pylon. However, on some boats, there was simply a sort of a pelican hook mounted on the cross deck that served as a ski tow hook. Can't see whether that is there or not. ..I've also noticed that the lifting rings are CC style. I sent the link to Walt.

Looking forward to what Walt has to say!

-Keith
Former:
97 Sport Nautique
1994 Ski Nautique
86 Silver Nautique
79 Mustang
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-01-2016 at 2:54pm
On both the Atom and the Aqua in the era, the pylons were an option.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
DrCC View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrCC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-01-2016 at 3:16pm
And the Orlando Clippers were smooth or flat alum whereas this one is lap-strake.
The lift-rings also caught my eye for a second, but that style was used on other brands also.
And the pock-marks on the wood would only indicate a similar wood and not a specific brand of boat.
Keith View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-07-2016 at 12:38pm
Art was able to speak with Walt and he is quite certain that CC never had anything to do with building an aluminum hull or being aware of anyone cladding or fabricating an aluminum boat.

If MHM was able to check for the hull ID, given the engine box is already open, that will solve the mystery. Per Art's suggestion, I'm going to provide MHM with the detailed location and see if they can remove enough silt to determine a) if it has a hull ID plaque where is should and b) if it does, is the hull ID a Correct Craft.

-Keith
Former:
97 Sport Nautique
1994 Ski Nautique
86 Silver Nautique
79 Mustang
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic