NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

1995 GT-40 Fuel Pump/FCC conversion

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 2345>
Author
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-04-2018 at 7:28pm
If mine went out I would not hesitate to install the $60 Carter high pressure pump.
If you wish to keep the return line it could be plumbed into the system with a couple fittings.   $60 fix vs $500+, fix.   Either will get you up and running.
The FCC is a better design but my 1995 runs like a top with the early set up intact and I know it would work the same with the $60 Carter installed.
gun-driver View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-05-2018 at 4:16am
Mark I think Summit or Carter are on to us the pumps are now 96 bucks
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/crt-p61171
Rkilcoyne View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rkilcoyne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-05-2018 at 11:57pm
Some have asked for photos of my FCC install. It's August and I'm happy to say, my Nautique has been running flawlessly -- fuel issues are non-existent. Yes, it was expensive project, but it was also quite effective.

Here are some photos... Looks like they were rotated from portrait when uploading. Sorry about that -- download and rotate.

~Rick
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-06-2018 at 3:25am
Good Looking Install.
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-06-2018 at 3:27am
Dang, $96 now instead of 5-600. I would still install the Carter and be done with it even though I recognize the ECC is a better design. If the boat works as intended it is good.
AlfaDon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AlfaDon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-06-2018 at 5:44am
Actually they’re up to $750 from what I see.

Thanks for the pics. It does look nice and clean. Where did you buy yours?

I thought the 95-96 GT40’s were having trouble with heat soak and having the pump submerged in fuel helped with that issue. Also it gave a place for the hot fuel from the
return line to cool down.

Are there any models that return the fuel to the tank, or does that go against the pressurized fuel too far from the engine rule?
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-06-2018 at 11:28am
Originally posted by Rkilcoyne Rkilcoyne wrote:

Some have asked for photos of my FCC install. It's August and I'm happy to say, my Nautique has been running flawlessly -- fuel issues are non-existent. Yes, it was expensive project, but it was also quite effective...

Rick, was this a hot re-start issue that you were having before? Just wondering because I'll log it in the GT-40 thread as a fix.
Rkilcoyne View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rkilcoyne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-06-2018 at 11:36am
I personally didn't have the hot-start issue, but I've seen many who have and this was a fix (albeit more expensive than those above that just replaced the stock HPP). The boat was new-to-me this Spring, and it was clear that the HPP wasn't functioning properly. I figured I'd go for the full fix and nip this issue in the bud with the FCC that's been installed on every PCM engine since 1997.
CA Jaybob View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CA Jaybob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-02-2019 at 12:21am
Good Evening,

I have a 95 sport GT40 and I need to replace the HP fuel pump, which is not available. PCM sells a conversion kit for $1100, yet it has no instructions and requires fabrication.

My pump looks just like the one you refer to but it does have that 2nd outlet on the bottom. Do you think that I can just T off of the top of this pump to feed both the left and right sides. Do you know anyone that has done this?

Thanks
Rkilcoyne View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rkilcoyne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-02-2019 at 12:36am
I went with the retro which can be purchased from nautiqueparts.com:
https://www.nautiqueparts.com/product/retro-fcc-kit/

There have been volumes written about replacing the HPP on these forums. In the end, the PCM fuel control cell is the best way to go as it ensures a constant flow of fuel to the injectors and avoids the common issue of vapor lock in the old setup.

Also, while this kit didn't come with much in the way of instructions (none), it did not require any fabrication whatsoever other than replacing one of the riser hoses to accommodate the FCC. The whole job was done in a day and the boat is running like a dream ever since.

~Rick

Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-02-2019 at 12:57am
Originally posted by CA Jaybob CA Jaybob wrote:

Do you know anyone that has done this?

Follow gun drivers posts above. Any ? just PM him,he might even see this and respond....
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-02-2019 at 5:02am
If you choose to use a Carter replacement for $96 last check you can use a T at the inlet of the HPP. The return line from the fuel injector rail goes to the fuel tank in the rear and also utilizes the second return line that goes accross the rear of your engine and plugs into the inlet for the High pressure pump.
Buy a T and install it so both the return line and the feed line from your fuel tank on the pass side of the engine both feed the new Carter HPP and you are good to go.
The Carter pump should be a Turbine design and they have proven to be very durable pumps.   FYI: Electric pumps last a very long time unless you dry start your engine, anytime an electric pump runs without fuel it is damaged. They can't run 10 seconds dry.
After dry starts they will get a little noisy, then a little louder and then fail. Keep gas in the tank and the pumps run much longer.
This is an easy conversion. I would not hesitate to use this on my 95.
My GT40 has not missed a beat yet fuel related, and so far has never had a problem with vapor lock but I don't use E85 or E90 fuel, I run gasoline which does not have as much issue with vapor lock.
Hope this helps.
Mark
gt40KS View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gt40KS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-03-2019 at 1:02am
Mark, look again.   Summit/ Carter raised yet again!   It's $109 now.       But still a whole lot better than 750 and like you if mine failed I wouldn't hesitate to use the Carter in lieu of a complicated and obviously expensive "upgrade" system. My 2 cents.
JCCI
1995 Ski Nautique GT40
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-03-2019 at 4:11am
Double Dang, it was $60 when this started a couple years ago. Still an easier and much cheaper fix. If it lasts 20 more years maybe the FCC will have a replacement that is not so expensive.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-04-2019 at 12:05pm
All you need is one of these
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/crt-p61171/overview/

with one of these for the bottom inlet......from memory I believe its a -6
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/fra-491950

Remove the stainless braided crossover line, plug the "T" on the return with a 3/8 plug where the crossover line was.
Done go skiing

Everything bolts right up to include the LP fittings and the HP top fitting and the wire connector
1pwrstroke View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1pwrstroke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-06-2019 at 7:58pm
Gun-Driver, how is the Carter fuel pump working out for you? I just completed the Carter on mine but haven't been on the lake yet to test. should be out this Sunday to give it a shot. I was out last weekend and had the hot start issue, I had to wait until cooled down than I was able to fire it up and head back to the dock.

Thanks for the info!!   
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-07-2019 at 10:37am
Sold my Signature last year to a local couple, as far as I know they’ve had no issues.
1pwrstroke View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1pwrstroke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-07-2019 at 1:32pm
Thanks again I'll update everyone after this weekend! supposed to be in the mid 90's this weekend up here in northern California.

Happy boating!
bthorsen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bthorsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-18-2019 at 11:18am
Does anyone happen to know the thread size of the locknut on the FCC of a PCM GT40 engine? Mine cracked into 2 pieces when trying to loosen the allen head plug to drain/check if any water was inside...
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-19-2019 at 9:30am
Originally posted by bthorsen bthorsen wrote:

Does anyone happen to know the thread size of the locknut on the FCC of a PCM GT40 engine? Mine cracked into 2 pieces when trying to loosen the allen head plug to drain/check if any water was inside...

The drain plug itself has 1/8 npt threads.

The PCM part number for the lock nut is R017077. if you look at the price PCM is real proud of their nuts They must be made of gold plated unobtanium or something like that   

I'd look at the link below for one choice of places to get a lock nut for a 1/8 npt plug.

That one is Grainger supply, I'm sure Fastenal, McMaster Carr, or maybe a local plumbing supply store or good hardware store would have them too.

link
bthorsen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bthorsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-19-2019 at 10:51am
Keno- thanks for your help. I was planning to check Menards tomorrow, and then reach out to Grainger, as they have stores in town.

I looked at that one in the link, and it says the hex size is 11/16"... I can tell from one 1/2 of mine that it is 3/4" hex, so maybe it is similar, but slightly different... are you certain from prior use/experience that is the right one?
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-19-2019 at 11:40am

Keno- thanks for your help. I was planning to check Menards tomorrow, and then reach out to Grainger, as they have stores in town.

I looked at that one in the link, and it says the hex size is 11/16"... I can tell from one 1/2 of mine that it is 3/4" hex, so maybe it is similar, but slightly different... are you certain from prior use/experience that is the right one?

Only thing I'm certain of is that I've never had to replace one so I couldn't say for sure that it will work. I never looked too closely at that drain and nut.

I guess I'm also certain that I'd certainly try to find one locally and see if it works before paying 12 something for the PCM nut

Good luck whatever you decide to do.
bthorsen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bthorsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-19-2019 at 11:51am
Originally posted by KENO KENO wrote:

ok, thanks again for your help! I think I can find one here around Detroit somewhere for a few bucks!
bigwavedave View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigwavedave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-19-2019 at 1:11pm
I have the high-pressure fuel pump Dave 815-953-1823
bigwavedave
AlfaDon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AlfaDon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-19-2019 at 3:32pm
I find it curious that NPT threads would take a locknut. Wouldn’t they be straight threads instead of tapered?
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-19-2019 at 5:56pm

ok, thanks again for your help! I think I can find one here around Detroit somewhere for a few bucks!

I got a look at a drain fitting today on a friends boat, but he wouldn't let me take it apart. He's not too adventurous

I think what I described is wrong as far as size.

It looks like the lock nut holds a fitting into the bottom of the FCC and then the pipe plug would screw into the fitting.

I'd take the nut pieces with me.

That should be a straight threaded nut

For Alpha Don, just Google pipe threaded lock nuts for some info

And Ben, However it turns out, post your findings here for the next guy.
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-19-2019 at 6:07pm
I think this (in the link) is what you have and the nut in the middle is what you need

Kinda pricey for just the nut or the whole kit, but maybe a call to Ski Dim would get you the nut specs or like I said take the old pieces with you.

Sorry about the confusion but I think this will help

link
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-19-2019 at 7:22pm
Originally posted by AlfaDon AlfaDon wrote:

I find it curious that NPT threads would take a locknut. Wouldn’t they be straight threads instead of tapered?

For Alpha Don, just Google pipe threaded lock nuts for some info

pipe lock nuts
Don,
They are threaded to the taper max so, they will run all the way up on a tapered pipe thread.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-19-2019 at 7:40pm
Originally posted by bigwavedave bigwavedave wrote:

I have the high-pressure fuel pump Dave 815-953-1823

Wrong pump for an FCC
bthorsen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bthorsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-24-2019 at 1:21pm
Over the weekend, I measured the plug (male) threads and determined them to be 24 threads per inch, and either 1/2 or 9/16" diameter. I made some progress on this today... first I went to Fastenal, but they quickly directed me nextdoor to a hose repair/production guy. He confirmed that the threads are 9/16", and 24 th/inch. He found this to be a thread size found on compression fittings. He gave me a compression cap, which I think will work.

I also obtained a drain plug assembly from NAPA, but it is "too short" to work... something longer would. I think this is a better design, and was disappointed that it would not work.

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 2345>
  Share Topic