NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Old Guy Learning To Ski

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12345>
Author
GlassSeeker View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GlassSeeker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-06-2016 at 8:23pm
Skis just get in the way
This is the life
backfoot100 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote backfoot100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-07-2016 at 10:09am
That's just waaaaayyyy cool Andy!!!!!! Well done.
When people run down to the lake to see what's making that noise, you've succeeded.

Eddie
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-07-2016 at 10:51am
Originally posted by spiralhelix spiralhelix wrote:

Originally posted by Poorhouse Poorhouse wrote:

We've been debating about our 6 year old acting as spotter. He understands the job and has been doing great at it. We are concerned about safety but are beginning to think that he is up for the job if just the 3 of us can go out. Any thoughts on that?

Personally, I'd be fine with a 6 year old being a spotter.

Jake,
The state of Wisconsin regs say only a "competent" person is needed for spotting. Check your Montana regs.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Blamey View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blamey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-13-2016 at 11:22am
So yesterday got up on a pair of skis for the first time in about 25 years. After I quick crossing the lake I couldn't resist the urge to drop a ski. That didn't work out and I fell pretty much straight away.

Took me about 5 attempts to get up this time after failing to get up when I tried last month. Part if the issue is that the technique is very different to getting up on a wake board. On a wakeboard I get the board under me pretty quickly and pop out of the water. With the skis I found I needed to stay leaning back for as long as possible with the skis in front of me. I think part if the issue was I am a little heavy for the combos I was using.

Was great to get up. Got up a second time and rode a little longer but really just wanted to get back on one ski as soon as I was up. Tried dropping a ski again but fell pretty much instantly again. Might need a big more practice on two before getting back to slalom.
96 Super Sport
Previously: 95 Sport Nautique, 1980 Ski Supreme
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-13-2016 at 7:44pm
Originally posted by Blamey Blamey wrote:

leaning back

Good way to torque your back. More abs.
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-13-2016 at 9:29pm
Congratulations on the first ride in 25 years, I would encourage you to enjoy the ride more rather than dropping so quickly. People forget how much fun it is to ski, on one or two.
As you play on two skis lift the ski that would be your back foot and ride on your front foot while the other ski is lifted, no more than 3-6 inch lift is necessary. When you can do this and feel stable doing it you are ready to drop a ski. When you know you are going to drop a ski on a run loosen up the boot on your ski that will be your rear foot.
Sometimes I will even take the heel part of the boot off to make the drop easier.
When you decide you are ready lift the ski and test your balance, if it is good you can usually point your toes and lift your heel a little slowly and the ski will fall away.
If you jerk or pull hard you will probably fall down so work on one smooth motion.
After the ski falls off keep watching the boat and leave your foot in the two ski position while you adjust. Then move it slowly behind your front foot and again while watching ahead to keep your body position correct start feeling around with your toes for the rear boot. It is always in the same spot and won't move on you so trust you can do this while watching the boat ahead and don't rush anything if you rush you fall.   Once you find the rear boot slowly slip your toes in then relax and enjoy your success. At this point I flex up and down with my knees a couple times while slipping the foot into the rear boot then go enjoy some single ski fun.   You might even come up on doubles but have your forward foot in a real single ski if that is what you were used to 25 years ago. Good Luck
For years I stepped off a ski to barefoot before I bought a deep water barefoot suit so I got lots of practice dropping a ski and skiing with one foot out. With one foot out I always liked the control a true single ski gave compared to the feel of the standard double ski set where one ski had a rear boot to allow single ski use.
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-14-2016 at 12:55am

So yesterday got up on a pair of skis for the first time in about 25 years.

Paul, your profile says you are 36. So you last skied when you were 11?

Congrats on getting back into it, and rediscovering how much fun it really is!
'63 American Skier - '98 Sport Nautique
Blamey View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blamey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-14-2016 at 10:45am
Originally posted by 63 Skier 63 Skier wrote:

So yesterday got up on a pair of skis for the first time in about 25 years.

Paul, your profile says you are 36. So you last skied when you were 11?

Congrats on getting back into it, and rediscovering how much fun it really is!

Yeah, I know I'm not quite an old guy yet but this thread motivated me to try ski again that is why I posted in here.

I was about 11 when I last skied. I had just learned to slalom and deep water start and was still using one of the combo skis we had. I could ride just fine but wasn't doing much in the way of turns.

Hollywood, with regards to leaning back, I think this is just relative to getting up on a wakeboard. With a wakeboard you have the edge of the board and can use to use for control. With the ski I need to lean back more than with a wakeboard otherwise I get pulled over but I'll definitely keep that in mind to not over do it. I'm going out again today and will try again and get some video.
96 Super Sport
Blamey View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blamey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-14-2016 at 11:02am
Mark, thanks for the tips.

I agree I need a little more than a minute of practice on two before moving on to slalom. It has been 25 years. That said I feel I wasn't that far away form getting to one ski and I think your points about looking up and taking it slow will help. I was definitely rushing to get the back leg in.

One issue I have with the skis is the bindings are really slippery. I don't feel like they are loose but they are really easy to come out of. This makes lifting a ski difficult. On the flip side it's really easy to step out of them. Maybe it just need to adjust them to be tighter.

I have a slalom ski at home that came with the boat. It is probably a little small for me, but I can make it work. Once I master dropping one ski I'll switch to it and one combo.
96 Super Sport
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-14-2016 at 11:41am
I agree with HW, leaning back in any way is definitely not the right (or easy) way to ski.
Poorhouse View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Poorhouse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-14-2016 at 1:49pm

Yeah, I know I'm not quite an old guy yet but this thread motivated me to try ski again that is why I posted in here.

I was about 11 when I last skied. I had just learned to slalom and deep water start and was still using one of the combo skis we had. I could ride just fine but wasn't doing much in the way of turns.

That is Awesome!

My Aunt will be here in August. She turned 70 this year and is going to try it again. She said it's been at least 30 years since she skied.

I'm leaving Saturday for NH for a week on the lake.

Found a good deal on a Radar P6. Had it shipped there to try out for the week.
Sounds like a good beginner slalom ski. Hoping the extra size helps us get out of the water.
Sold - 1986 Supra Sunsport Skier
Current - 1996 - MC Prostar 205
I keep doing this wrong.
desertskier View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertskier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-14-2016 at 2:14pm
[/QUOTE]
Hollywood, with regards to leaning back, I think this is just relative to getting up on a wakeboard. With a wakeboard you have the edge of the board and can use to use for control. With the ski I need to lean back more than with a wakeboard otherwise I get pulled over but I'll definitely keep that in mind to not over do it. I'm going out again today and will try again and get some video.[/QUOTE]

If you are getting pulled over or the skis are being pushed apart ask the driver to go a little easier. It shouldn't take much throttle to pull someone up on two skis.
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-14-2016 at 4:33pm
Originally posted by Poorhouse Poorhouse wrote:

Found a good deal on a Radar P6. Had it shipped there to try out for the week.
Sounds like a good beginner slalom ski. Hoping the extra size helps us get out of the water.

What size did you get? No question that will be an easier ski to get up on, and get comfortable on in a short amount of time. I have a feeling you'll like it.
Poorhouse View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Poorhouse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-14-2016 at 5:08pm

I weigh 190ish wife weighs 130ish.

Based on the weight recommendations from Radar she could have gone 65 or 67, I could have gone 67 or 69. Hopefully the 67 will work for both of us, at least initially.
I keep doing this wrong.
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-14-2016 at 5:11pm
Do you share underwear too?
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-14-2016 at 5:16pm
Yup, that's the only size that could work as a compromise. My Radar Senate is 67", maybe a bit small for me at 210 lbs., but I really like the ski. Not an easy ski to get up on, yours should be much easier.

As time goes on you both may want to get your own skis, You may want a 69", if you get a chance to ski on one you'll be surprised how easy the larger ski is, but I bet your wife will be OK with the 67".
Poorhouse View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Poorhouse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-14-2016 at 5:36pm
Originally posted by Hollywood Hollywood wrote:

You want to see a video of that?
I keep doing this wrong.
Poorhouse View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Poorhouse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-14-2016 at 5:37pm

Yup, that's the only size that could work as a compromise. My Radar Senate is 67", maybe a bit small for me at 210 lbs., but I really like the ski. Not an easy ski to get up on, yours should be much easier.

As time goes on you both may want to get your own skis, You may want a 69", if you get a chance to ski on one you'll be surprised how easy the larger ski is, but I bet your wife will be OK with the 67".

I'm guessing we will. At this point we want to get up and get some experience.
I keep doing this wrong.
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-14-2016 at 6:11pm
Originally posted by Hollywood Hollywood wrote:

We both go commando,too late for lunch hope you were at least drinking something
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
tnplicky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tnplicky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-14-2016 at 11:29pm

You may want a 69.

That's what I asked the wife for but she didn't go for it.

Poorhouse View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Poorhouse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-18-2016 at 1:44pm
Success with the P6.

First opportunity to ski in NH this morning. Wife was not able to get up on the P6. She could feel the better float but couldn't hold on long enough to plane. She only tried 5 times. I think she will get it with more practice.

My turn next. I tried with rear foot in. It is much harder than getting up on 2 skies. I had the ski going right or left, went over the front, leaned to far back, etc. the advice here really helped. I kept my back foot pulled up to my butt and got the ski to plane. Then another over the front and to far back. On the 9th try I got up and had a good run. Felt much more natural on 1 ski than 2. Was able to cross wake and make turns.
Super fun morning.

Couple things I noticed, spray off the front of the ski if it isn't flat straight behind the boat or on a hard bank. Not sur if I wasn't weighted properly or if our speed was off. Speed was around 32 which is good or maybe a bit fast for this ski.
What is the technique for turning? I was able to lean the ski over and change direction but was not cranking turns.

Did shoot video but won't be able to upload until next week.
I keep doing this wrong.
spiralhelix View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiralhelix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-18-2016 at 1:52pm
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-18-2016 at 2:14pm
Congrats, you mastered the deep water start!
Keep playing and having fun.
Look for some videos on learning to slalom a picture is worth a thousand words.
Poorhouse View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Poorhouse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-18-2016 at 2:53pm
Not mastered, I could see it taking a few times to get up next time.

Should be able to get out a couple more times this week and work on the turns.
I keep doing this wrong.
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-18-2016 at 3:10pm
Good to hear you are on your way!

Your stance should be neutral to front-foot biased. Water should be breaking in front of your front toes. If water is shooting ahead, you are rear biased and not standing on your front foot. Your a big guy and may need one more mph, but it won't fix a bad stance.

The start gets people so out of shape to ski, one needs to reset the stance once up.

Basically, thrust your hips forward,.no more forward. More forward than that. keep going.next roll your shoulders back and lock in the upper body. Roll forward on your ankles and keep knees and ankles, uhm, pliable.
When you think your hips are too far forward, they are halfway where they need to be.

"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-18-2016 at 3:20pm
Spray out the front of the ski likely means weight a little too far forward. Ease weight back a bit. The plus side of that is, most skiers have weight too far back. This results in poor form in turns, something I am frequently guilty of.

This is a friend I ski with. This is an unusually poor turn for him, really cocked it back.

On the other hand this is a more typical turn for him, see how much more forward his weight is on the ski.

Don't think that it is only going to take a couple tips from folks on here for you to turn like this. It takes time to get. Lots of time. Like years. Not to discourage you, but that is just my feeling. The first step is have the confidence to lean into the wake. Even that takes a while to build up the courage to do and feeling for doing. I really think its an evolution vs something you learn, but I could be wrong, maybe some folks pick it up right away, or after a couple lessons at a good ski school.....but I don't think so.
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-18-2016 at 3:44pm
Well said..

The turns are actually the easier part and come more natural. New skiers want to know all about the turns because that what looks impressive to them. The best turn is one that follows exiting the wakes at maximum effort.

Therefore focusing too much on the turn, and not the cut, its foundation, creates an imbalance.

Learn to stay stacked and maximize the rip across the both wakes. Start with small amplitude so your approach is an acceleration through that leaves you wanting more, not a decel due to approaching the wake at a speed that makes you hesitate.

Focusing all on the turn now, is like riding a bicycle too slow, its awkward.

Oh, and you should be skiing at 15 off if it hasn't been said yet. Too many bad habits perpetuate at 75'
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
Poorhouse View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Poorhouse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-18-2016 at 3:56pm
Great stuff! Thank you!

I have no idea what to be focusing on.

Getting comfortable crossing the wake and accelerating across. I can do that.

Will pay better attention to were my weight as well.

I think the rope we have this week has some off will double check.

On a related note- saw 2 skiers on small bass type boats with really long ropes, they were way back. Not making any turns just cruising.
I keep doing this wrong.
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-18-2016 at 4:06pm
Here's another little something to look forward to. I taught another friend to go on one ski last year. He is very solid now, and turns back and forth, but in broad sweeping turns. Really not cutting his turns yet. But that is where he is now, just learning to cut, and is just starting to get the hang of it. A side effect of really leaning into your turns and making a tight cut is your are going to rocket toward the wake. Its a cool feeling. My friend loves it. But it is also new territory. Keep in mind, I have a vintage boat with a much larger wake than a newer one, but at 32-ish, its not awful. But my friend has taken some good spills upon hitting the wake because hitting at speed is new to him. It is possible to ease out of your cut and not charge the wake, but you have to learn sometime. One of my philosophies about skiing is "if you aren't falling, you aren't trying hard enough"

My friend joined Greg Fossett and me to do some slaloming during Greg's and my LLBD sessions. Greg had a pretty good piece of advice for him, regarding learning to cut. Yes, you are going to practice your turns while skiing, but at the end of the run, as you are ready to release the rope, swing out, ditch the rope, and really lay down the ski to get a sense of how it feels.
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-18-2016 at 5:18pm
Congrats Jake, you're making good progress and I like how determined you are to get better.

My bad form has taken many years to perfect! A lot of good advice above, I won't add to it since really like Larry said you need to get out and ski and ski and ski and you'll be able to make the adjustments as everything gets more comfortable.

Looks like a hot and clear week for you at the big lake, enjoy!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12345>
  Share Topic