Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

GT-40 hiccup

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
leftseat88 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote leftseat88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: GT-40 hiccup
    Posted: June-26-2016 at 10:06pm
Evening Fellas,

I was running my 96 Sport Friday and I encountered a problem. Running about 25 MPH or so, nothing crazy. The boat just lost power, it acted like you put the throttle into neutral. Gauges were all normal, nothing violent happen with the motor. I physically put the throttle into neutral, checked the engine compartment, nothing looked amiss. Put the boat back into forward gear and continued on as if nothing had happened. Sat at the sandbar for about 2 hours checked the engine compartment again, ran the boat a couple of more times, everything ran great. On my way back to the dock same thing happen again. Not sure what it could be, any help would be appreciated.

Blamey View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blamey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-26-2016 at 11:03pm
My guess is bad gas. I've had something similar happen to me (all though just at WOT) happened a few time on the same tank of gas. After I filled up again I had no issues.

Did it power back up after like a quick hesitation or did it loose all power until you out it into neutral?
96 Super Sport
Previously: 95 Sport Nautique, 1980 Ski Supreme
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-27-2016 at 4:44am
My 95 did that two years ago, I assumed the engine protection program was cutting in and pulling back the throttle.
I changed the Oil Pressure sending unit that sends warnings to the computer, I changed the Water Temp sending unit that sends messages to the computer.
Installed a new fuel filter and impeller. Tightened the clamps on all the water intake hoses from the boat bottom to the engine.
One of the above fixed mine. It has never done it since but I can't say exactly which helped.
If the computer picks up a high coolant temp reading or a low oil pressure reading it puts you in a Limp Home mode and cuts power drastically.

One more addition, I cleaned the contacts on the safety lanyard that plugs into the gear shift. If that pulls out it kills the engine, if a little corroded or loose it may cause intermittent issues.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic