Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Questions about major boat repair

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Jminman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jminman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Questions about major boat repair
    Posted: June-26-2016 at 9:29pm
I was out this weekend in my 1975 nautique and was forced into the shallows by a pontoon. I hit a log and ripped the rudder right off the boat and bent the drive shaft along with a few fins on the prop. I have no idea when any of these parts can be found and any help at all would be gladly accepted.
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-26-2016 at 9:34pm
Try Deep blue yacht supply for rudder,
Delta prop for acme 540 prop.
Ski Dim for A.R.E. shaft.

Good luck

Hope you had insurance.
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
Jminman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jminman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-26-2016 at 9:38pm
Sampson 182 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sampson 182 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-26-2016 at 11:37pm
Wow so sorry to hear that. I know here at my lake the pontoon boats are everywhere. I never really got them. IMO just a brick on the water piloted by folks that should never own a boat in the first place pulling tubes and having no clue about boating etiquette. If I offended anyone here with a pontoon sorry but I put them in the same category as "toobers" just my opinion from my own personal experience on "MY LAKE" Really just a bad deal all the way around sorry it happened
1987 Ski Nautique 2001

Jminman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jminman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-26-2016 at 11:47pm
I was only going about 5 mph and in an area I know well so I knew to be farther away from the shore like I was but this pontoon driver decided he needed to get to shore now and turned right into me. he was going alot faster than I was because I was just cruising. I wiped hard to the right to avoid him and he just kept going oblivious to the fact I was there. I threw it into reverse when I was getting into the shallows but it was too late I hit a long under water hard. stopped me dead in the water. the pontoon driver looked at me when he heard it but he just kept going. left me there. I had my buddy use a paddle as a rudder and I basically idled 1 1/2 miles back to the boat launch.
bcollins View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bcollins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-26-2016 at 11:58pm
I have 74 nautique with bad stringers so I guess I would sell the parts you need. I don't know price but I'm trying to buy exact same thing for 82 2001.
Jminman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jminman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-27-2016 at 12:43am
Do you know if they use the same parts for a 74 through 75? I would be interested in that because im looking at the prices of new parts and my 22 year old self is having a bit of a heart attack.
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-27-2016 at 1:00am
I had a list from Zach that showed what rudders,shafts and struts fit what and with part numbers. I can't find it but Im sure someone here has it for you. In the mean time I'll keep looking!
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Jminman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jminman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-27-2016 at 1:37am
thank you that would be awesome if you find it!
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-27-2016 at 1:41am
Found it - Here's the link to the thread. This list is dated 1980,I assume struts on the Ski Nautiques are the same from 70 to 80 can someone confirm for Justin?
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Jminman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jminman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-27-2016 at 2:15am
I'm pretty sure that my prop is not tapered like this one http://www.nautiqueparts.com/shaftassembly1x50singletaper.aspx could the shaft be wrong in my nautique?
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-27-2016 at 7:51am
Justin,
Unless a PO has changed out your shaft and prop, you will have the single taper you linked If your shaft is bent and it looks likely, then going to a double taper ARE system is the way to go. The double taper eliminates the hassle of the single taper shaft R&R. The single taper trans coupling is a interference fit requiring heat shrinking that can be tricky. The ARE double taper system is also the same price or even slightly less than the single.   

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Jminman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jminman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-27-2016 at 10:54am
I have a decent amount of tools and I'm pretty good working with my hands but i was wondering how difficult of a job it will be to replace all the damaged parts. I have a camping trip planned for this weekend with the boat so I'm against the clock.
Jminman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jminman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-27-2016 at 10:56am
http://www.nautiqueparts.com/rudderwithtrimtab.aspx this is the rudder I was going to get. Will I have a problem putting this on? maybe having to replace any of the steering parts as well?
DayTony View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DayTony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-27-2016 at 1:47pm
that link didnt work for me btw.
Sorry about the accident.
Man thats some impressive Damage.
It looks like you may have some glass damage around the rudder port? is that from the accident?
Sure are lucky with such a clean break on the rudder shaft that it didn't get pushed up and through the stuffing box.
a 1.5" hole would sink that boat in a hurry.
1988 Barefoot nautique-454
Jminman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jminman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-27-2016 at 3:15pm
I got a brand new in the box 11A correct craft rudder from my local marina that used to sell correct crafts back in the late 80s. I was able to trade a new prop I had from a boat I sold for a reworked prop that is identical to the one I broke. The glass is cut from the prop hitting it and I just dropped the boat off to get the glass fixed there and a few other dings I wanted fixed anyways. the last think I need to get and do is a new shaft but I am very worried I will get the wrong one and I'm not experienced enough to know anything about replacing a shaft. Any tips or pointers?
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic