NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Bearing Buddies? Yes or No?

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Frankenotter View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frankenotter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Bearing Buddies? Yes or No?
    Posted: June-26-2016 at 5:30pm

Well, my trailer problems never seem to end. Coming back from the lake I started seeing smoke in the side mirror. Pulled over to a wheel that somehow stayed on the trailer even thought the outer bearing decided to self destruct. Had to get it delivered on a flat bed to my place for $200. It destroyed the hub, bearings, and dust cap. $500 later and its ready to roll again, but now I'm gun-shy about it happening again. Reason being, EVERYTHING was brand new from my trailer rebuild 2 years ago. I have always topped the hubs off with marine grease and never had a sign of heat or damage after towing over 1000 miles.

Now I have been looking for a dust cap replacement and I seem to have found myself in a heated debate................

Are bearing buddies better, or worse, than dust caps for use with surge brakes?

I have heard arguments that the buddies will put TOO much grease in the hub, building excess heat, and even pushing grease onto the drum brakes.

On the other side of the coin, I can't see a physical way for grease to get from the hub into the drum, and it seems like a good way to monitor grease levels.

Any ideas?

Regardless, I will be repacking my bearings every season from now on to avoid this costly/time consuming problem.

Chris
1999 Ski Nautique 196
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-26-2016 at 6:02pm
You can over pump a bearing buddy Chris and push out the seal which then lets the grease come out and get all inside the brake area. Checking the bearings once a year and before a big trip is easier than on the side of the road In reading bearing buddies instructions you just need to place the grease gun onto the cap and see if the plate rocks between the spring and the grease it's floating on. If it moves no grease is needed.Any more and it can push out the seal.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-26-2016 at 6:11pm
I have this system on my new trailer,so far it seems to work.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-26-2016 at 7:47pm
Chris,
I agree with Gary regarding the Bearing Buddies. I have them on all my trailers and have never had a problem. Whoever told you they blow seals didn't read the directions!! The key to the design is the fact they are spring loaded to allow for thermal expansion. When filled to the point where there's no more spring travel, that is a problem.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
tryathlete View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tryathlete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-26-2016 at 7:54pm
Glad that's all that happened, Chris. I'm going to be sure to check mine before Green Lake.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frankenotter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-27-2016 at 12:21am
Thanks gents! I just ordered a set and will fill them with caution. Gary that's one hell of a setup with the oil hubs.

Anyone have any particular preference of marine grease brands?
1999 Ski Nautique 196
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-27-2016 at 12:53am
Im not a big walmart shopper but I bought marine wheel bearing grease from them because your not supposed to mix grease and I figured if I need some I could find a walmart just about anywhere on the road. The concept of the new ones Chris seem like a great idea but sound complicated if needing service on the road. Right now I only have around 700 miles on this trailer so it's too early to tell. On the Mustangs trailer I have around 3k on that axle with no bearing buddies,they kept falling off so I quit using them. I have heard if your wheels balance is off that the extra weight of them will make them fall off. I have lost 2 on the Mustang and 1 off the Shamrock.

Link to walmart grease
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-27-2016 at 1:14am
Ewww, Super Tech.

I use it too. It was just easy, I was buying oil in gallon jugs, about the only thing I make a trip to Walmart for, and bought some grease.

My main challenge is remembering what grease is in what gun. Often have to give it a squirt to remind me.
'63 American Skier - '98 Sport Nautique
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-27-2016 at 2:47am
Pretty fancy grease systems you're talking about here. Seem fussy I prefer the old tech. Tried and true!

Too tight?
Wrong parts?
Water inside?
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-27-2016 at 4:30am
Bearing buddies work well properly installed. Where I boat we trailer the load down hill to the lake, the brakes are always hot when we drop the boat in the water.
A hot wheel end ( drum brakes on mine ) will pull water into the hub as you back into the water. When it cools quickly entering the water it creates a vacuum inside the hub and will pull a little water past the seal.
I pull my wheels every two years and clean, inspect and repack the bearings and replace the seals. It never fails that one or two of my four wheels will have water in the bearings. Use marine grease it helps them live longer if they get wet.
I have never had to replace a hub or axle or been stranded but several times the bearing will show a little damage from the water and I replace them as needed.
I think it is a cost of doing business.
Every time I tow each time we stop for gas or other reason I will walk around and touch each hub with my hand. They should all be similar temperature, the axle with brakes may be hotter and that is normal but they should be similar. If you find a hot hub you have one going out. Check the tires the same way, if one is warmer than the others it will be low on air.   Simple tricks help you get where you want to go while reducing failures.
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-27-2016 at 4:31am
PS: Good Looking Boat, sorry it is on a flat bed.
oldcuda View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldcuda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-27-2016 at 9:41am
Bearing Buddies get a bad rap because they are often not used properly. So many people pump them full and think their yearly maintainance is done. I put them back on after disassembly clean and repack every spring. I keep thermal gun and always check temp of hubs after a few miles whether on the way to lake or pulling 46000 pounds on big truck. Don't fell sorry for the guy out in the woods looking for his tire and hub due to lack of maint.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-27-2016 at 9:58am
Bearing buddies are fine, but they don't take the place of a properly greased hub. They are a high quality grease cap though, the cheapies can be tough to install without mangling. Remember that bearing buddies will work against you if you have greasable spindles- not sure if Prestige was using them like cc/ramlin was 88+.
81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-27-2016 at 10:44am
My practice is to do my bearing repack in the fall.   If water has gotten past the seal and sits all winter can be a bigger mess to clean up come spring and can require replacing instead of servicing bearings and races.

Gary, I have the Vaults on my newer boat and have no idea what to do if I have a problem on the side of the road. Although they are not serviceable you are supposed to jack the trailer up and check for play once a year and if you have any bring the rig to a dealer to torque the bearings.   The system sounds great until it fails I guess. I suppose I will have them serviced at an authorized shop just before the warranty ends.   I have a lot of miles on mine without any problems so far.
gun-driver View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-28-2016 at 6:16pm
Originally posted by 81nautique 81nautique wrote:

My practice is to do my bearing repack in the fall.   If water has gotten past the seal and sits all winter can be a bigger mess to clean up come spring and can require replacing instead of servicing bearings and races. .

X2
I have never had a bearing problem summer or winter using the above maintenance program (knock on wood)

I have the the grease-able hubs on both CC trailers and my tandem snowmobile trailer.
I think that's the best design out there.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-28-2016 at 8:03pm
Originally posted by gun-driver gun-driver wrote:

I have the the grease-able hubs on both CC trailers and my tandem snowmobile trailer.

What are these greaseable hubs you speak of?
Jonny Quest View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonny Quest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-28-2016 at 8:20pm
I like the Bearing Buddies with the blue indicator ring to tell if grease is needed or not. I also run the Bearing Buddies Spindle Seal grease seal. It does a great job at keeping the grease inside and water outside.

I've had some bad experiences with cheap Chinese grease seals, so I like to go with the Bearing Buddies, National Bearing, or Timkin brands.

JQ
Current
2003 Ski Nautique 206 Limited

Previous
2001 Ski Nautique Open Bow
1994 Ski Nautique Open Bow

Aqua skiing, ergo sum
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-28-2016 at 8:30pm
I think they are referring to EZ lube axles.

EZ luibe

Chris - What brand of bearings did you install? Did you replace races? Any chance you over tightened them?

Seems odd for 1 to fail this quickly.
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-28-2016 at 8:36pm
Originally posted by Jonny Quest Jonny Quest wrote:

I've had some bad experiences with cheap Chinese grease seals, so I like to go with the Bearing Buddies, National Bearing, or Timkin brands.

JQ

Be careful I have seen made in China on Timkin parts,bearings for sure
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-28-2016 at 8:56pm
Originally posted by Jonny Quest Jonny Quest wrote:

National Bearing, or Timkin brands. JQ

Now made in China!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-29-2016 at 7:52pm
National, Timken, SKF, NTN are all premium bearing manufacturers and you can trust their premium products. They are all made all over the world now and they each sell premium and low price bearings. Be careful what you buy, ask for the premium offerings and you will be fine. If you buy the entry level bearings you are gambling in my opinion.
gun-driver View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-29-2016 at 8:07pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

Originally posted by gun-driver gun-driver wrote:

What are these greaseable hubs you speak of?

Should have called them spindles not hubs.
Yes the spindles with the grease fitting in the center that drives the grease from inner bearing to the outer.
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-30-2016 at 10:03am
Originally posted by SNobsessed SNobsessed wrote:

What brand of bearings did you install? Did you replace races?

My understanding is if you replace the bearing you should always change the race as well,
Waterdog View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Waterdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-30-2016 at 10:25am

My understanding is if you replace the bearing you should always change the race as well, [/QUOTE]

Never understood why they package bearings and races separately. Always replace them as a set.
- waterdog -

78 Ski Tique

Duane in Indy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duane in Indy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-30-2016 at 10:28am
Every ones usage is different. I clean and regrease every fall when I put the trailer in storage mode. Don't wait till spring as that gives any moisture inside time to pit the surfaces. Inspect bearings and races and replace the seals. I replace the seals because I put about 100 miles on them per outing. I like Bearing Buddies and have never had an issue. I also inspect and replace the o-ring in the Buddie if it is leaking. I prefer to completely degrease all the parts and start out fresh with new grease. The following is good reading material.
https://www.etrailer.com/faq-grease.aspx
Keep it as original as YOU want it
        1978 Mustang (modified)
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-30-2016 at 11:40am
Originally posted by Duane in Indy Duane in Indy wrote:

I also inspect and replace the o-ring in the Buddie if it is leaking.

The Bearing Buddy Bra's work great too just in case there is some leakage.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frankenotter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-30-2016 at 11:41am
Tim, what do you mean by greasable spindles? My prestige has torsion bar suspension with a 25580 inner bearing and a LM67048 outer.

I went to hell and back trying to find bearing buddies that would fit my hub. Turns iut it's an odd size that stores in my area don't carry. The hub ended up needing to be replaced as well because the lip that holds the inner seal got damaged in the failure. The new hub came with races installed.

I rented a set of bearing drivers from O'rielly (thanks Skutch) to replace the other wheel while I was in there. So far I had one test tow to the local ramp 5min away. Hubs were cool as cucumbers. Although, they always were cool until my "incident".
1999 Ski Nautique 196
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-30-2016 at 11:44am

http://dexteraxle.com/i/u/6149609/f/product_flyers/E-Z-Lube.pdf

But still sometimes, *************** happens. Everything was going fine until...
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frankenotter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-30-2016 at 12:20pm
Well, I don't have a spring loaded inner seal or any type of grease fitting on the end of the spindle. I'm guessing I don't have greasable spindles.
1999 Ski Nautique 196
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-30-2016 at 12:27pm
Originally posted by Frankenotter Frankenotter wrote:

Well, I don't have a spring loaded inner seal or any type of grease fitting on the end of the spindle. I'm guessing I don't have greasable spindles.

Sounds like not... I guess prestige didn't *quite* clone Ramlin.

Zerk and exit hole on inner spindle can be seen in this pic:

http://www.trailerpartskingdom.com/index.php?l=product_images&p=361

It may be the recommended practice but I never change races when I do bearings. Too much time and effort to drive them in and out of the hub. If they look bad, I just replace the entire hub (races come pre-installed). I have put MANY miles on old race/new bearing combos and have never had a bearing issue on any of my trailers. A proper repack should last a good long while. I have not had issue with cheap Chinese bearings, either. Properly adjusted and full of grease (plus properly inflated tires) is way more than half the battle.

I would also take a very close look at the brake adjustment on your trailer. If they're hanging up and adding heat, that will shorten the life of your bearings.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic