NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Urban Legend?

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Jonny Quest View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonny Quest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Urban Legend?
    Posted: June-26-2016 at 3:03am
I remember a story that a boater friend told me -- swearing that it was 100% true. It sounded like an urban legend to me. Here is basic story line:

Woman purchases a new 19 foot runabout I/O from a local dealer. The woman is a novice boater and received only a basic instructional briefing from the boat dealer. The woman goes to the lake and launches the boat. She motors around the lake for a bit and then brings the boat back to the dock. She finds a helpful man there who seems to be a competent boater and motor-head. She tells the guy that her boat seems to be very slow and not at all what she remembered from her test-drive with the boat dealer. The guy looks at the boat and takes a quick spin around the dock area and is puzzled by the poor speed, performance and handling. He recommends that the woman pull the boat out and take it back to the dealer for evaluation. He offers to help the woman get the boat out of the water.

Dude waits at the dock and the woman brings her SUV down the launch ramp -- but there is no trailer attached to the hitch. After some questions and answers, it turns out that the woman launched the boat by disconnecting the trailer from the hitch. The boat was still attached to the trailer by the the bow eye on the winch and also by the stern straps. She was driving the boat around the lake with the trailer still fully in place. That is some serious drag!

Anybody verify or de-bunk this "legend"?

JQ
Current
2003 Ski Nautique 206 Limited

Previous
2001 Ski Nautique Open Bow
1994 Ski Nautique Open Bow

Aqua skiing, ergo sum
IAughtNaut View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IAughtNaut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-26-2016 at 4:14am
no competent boater is going to drive a boat dragging a trailer underwater and only be "puzzled"

bring the ruckus
2000 Pro Air
Smithfamily View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smithfamily Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-26-2016 at 8:36am
I do that all the time.
Js
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-26-2016 at 8:59am
I have a feeling it's an old dumb blond joke. Sorry for not being "politically correct" with the dumb blond comment!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
JPASS View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JPASS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-26-2016 at 10:35am
I would venture to guess there'd be all sorts of very obvious signs and sounds associated with driving a boat with the trailer attached. I'm calling BS on this urban legend.

Here's someone actually doing it, but with some obvious modifications to the trailer:

'92 Correctcraft Ski Nautique
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-26-2016 at 11:12am
These work better!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
baitkiller View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote baitkiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-26-2016 at 12:38pm
There is a place where I first learned to barefoot 30 years ago in the San Fran area called Foster City. There is a man made series of lakes that combine to make up a mid high neighborhood of town homes. All on the water and all very close together in California fashion. There are few actual docks on this "lagoon" What people do is to have an actual ramp behind / under their house / upper patio. But the ramp dead heads into the house with zero access to the street. I was amazed when i first saw the process. What folks do is to strap the trailer onto the boat real well, unhitch it it and drive the whole thing to the house and get it started on the ramp. There is usually an electric winch that they clip onto the trailer and there it (trailer) stays until the next trip to the dealer. So they basically use a little ramp, their trailer and winch as we use a lift. Strange but true, a whole lagoon full of boats whose trailers were swum to their homes. I think there is a 20' limit on the lagoon.
Jesus was a bare-footer.............
Captain Nick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Captain Nick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-26-2016 at 8:06pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

These work better!

Pete, I remember a while back seeing a car boat like that on the Three Lakes Chain.
Live life to the fullest!
peter1234 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peter1234 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-26-2016 at 8:44pm
I sold one of those to a guy in new york The finger lakes? I always wondered what happened to it.
former skylark owner now a formula but I cant let this place go
DayTony View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DayTony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-26-2016 at 10:01pm
Originally posted by IAughtNaut IAughtNaut wrote:

no competent boater is going to drive a boat dragging a trailer underwater and only be "puzzled"

You have never watch Bill Dance outdoors
1988 Barefoot nautique-454
Waterdog View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Waterdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-27-2016 at 12:54pm
Bill Dance lernt a lot of that stuff from Me
- waterdog -

78 Ski Tique

relake View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote relake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-27-2016 at 1:03pm
Seems like trailers are made as a cruel trick to get spouses to fight.......I bet divorce rates would plummet if there were no more boat trailers......
desertskier View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertskier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-27-2016 at 1:36pm
At the campground we stay at there is an older man and his wife that I see occasionally. They disconnect the trailer from the tow vehicle and drive the boat with trailer attached over to their campsite. They stake an electric winch into the shore and pull the boat and trailer up so that the front of the boat is over the shoreline. Then each time they go out they winch/power it up and down the shore. I guess they don't want to get their feet wet.
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-27-2016 at 1:50pm
Originally posted by desertskier desertskier wrote:

At the campground we stay at there is an older man and his wife that I see occasionally. They disconnect the trailer from the tow vehicle and drive the boat with trailer attached over to their campsite. They stake an electric winch into the shore and pull the boat and trailer up so that the front of the boat is over the shoreline. Then each time they go out they winch/power it up and down the shore. I guess they don't want to get their feet wet.

This statement actually confirms that this urban legend be plausible.
<a href="">1992 ski nautique
Waterdog View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Waterdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-27-2016 at 2:09pm
Google hotelicopter - got my new year's reservations today it's filling up fast!
- waterdog -

78 Ski Tique

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic